Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

There's no need to worry.

Just relax and be yourself. No need for a cover letter. There's a few steps involved, but everyone who passes the driving assessment will be interviewed. It should only take a couple of weeks to be sent for the medical then, and I'd say you would be in training, all going well by the first week in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

So that's the DA/int done.

I got there in plenty of time. My time slot was 8.45 and I went up at 8.15

The driving assessor was brilliant, made me feel at ease the whole time. Got through the driving assessment with no marks/faults at least on paper and was just really calming.

Interview, I feel, went well. I was asked about what I do now and why I want to change jobs, safety safety safety the whole time, made them both smile and laugh at times, made eye contact etc but I was myself and although you always come out of interviews thinking you couldve added this or that when answering the questions, I don't think I done terribly and I was authentic if nothing else.

They asked me what I knew about Dublin bus and gave facts and figures, they also then spoke about the steps ahead, what'll happen going forward if i get to the next stage and they also.asked about what depot id prefer (Harristown is the one id like in an ideal work, they mentioned Donnybrook) I thanked them for their time, wished them a good day and left.

I came out thinking I'd be more surprised if I didn't get put forward for a medical and if I get a correspondence saying I haven't made the next stage I'd be bitterly disappointed and wouldnt be sure at all where I'd gone wrong.

Now it's just to play the waiting game.

Nice one

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Md1991

Hey everyone just thought I’d give a brief timeline on my progress so far so I applied in mid September as a B license holder 3 days later I received an aptitude type test basic enough stuff couple of maths questions absolutely nothing worth stressing over a week later I revived an invite to interview/and driving assessment again very basic assessment instructor was very good put me completely at ease passed that and went into the interview fairly nervous but again the staff where very welcoming and only tip there I could give is be calm take your time and be yourself one week later I was sent a date to attend a medical on passing the medical i had a phone call from HR asking would I be available on the 4th of November for a theory and cpc exam I had four weeks to prepare for them which was plenty of time once you put the study in thankfully passed both of them first time and got a call yesterday to start on the 8th of January this page has been extremely helpful for all types of information cheers everyone and best of luck with the rest of the process

You'll probably be in Wayne's class all going well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 InOtherWordsMe

I’m starting on Monday week 4th Dec so will let you know how it goes. Supposedly doing the test at end of week four which is Christmas/NY so the training driving will be in crazy traffic-but a nice atmosphere too. I live in north county Dublin so of course I hope I get a near-ish depot like Harristown/Clontarf. I presume we won’t be training on Stephen’s/NYs Day? Good luck all and yes this thread has been a God-send-thanks for the comments!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

For Bank Holidays you'll work the Saturday instead

Best of luck with it. Hopefully won't be far behind ! I was told they try to go with the closest depot though.

Medical on December 15th and all going well theory test and cpc soon after 🤞

Question.

Once all goes well and the training/test etc is passed and I'm offered employment, what's the story with staying in DB? Do you have to stay for 2 years ? I know that's thinking very far ahead, and ultimately I want to work for DB but I don't live in Dublin, so I'd like to be based as close to home as possible but donnybrook depot is the depot that was mentioned in interview and that's miles away but heard that you're tied down for 2 years. Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Leave the day you pass your test if you like, there's no onus to stay

• Advertisement

No, you're not obliged to stay with Dublin Bus at all. You can apply to transfer to a garage nearer your home, or even to Bus Eireann if that would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LaCla

Hi I'm waiting for medical appointment hopefully to start training with nus eireann. I NEVER im my life had penalty points but a week ago I had penalty point from a speed camera limit was 60 and I was 75km.

Will the points affect my hiring?

I'm desperate 😩

Started training yesterday - 6 of us. Everyone very welcoming and friendly at the centre. Classroom the whole day for basic safety and awareness and booking the test-at end of day brought to O’Connell St to collect uniform-very pleased with it surprisingly. A lot of items and decent enough quality and variety. Given Leap card to commute - strictly no parking there for trainees they insisted. Rest of week out on bus in pairs-not be always driving as other stuff to learn. Drove around airport roads today - big achievement, we were all so relieved to get to this stage flying around the roads and roundabouts, we were delighted with ourselves as all naturally nervous. But a lot of concentration required keeping between the lines properly, tendency to keep too much to the left. After a day or two this will be easier. Mirrors every few seconds. A lot to take in so feeling exhausted but liking it a lot. 3rd or 4th week back in classroom and then delays with tests means the test will be 6th week probably. Start 7am this week - 3pm to 9.30 for next week. Used to be 4 weeks driving then 2 weeks back in classroom but changing that now -because in 5/6th week you might forget stuff as it would be too long without driving. Said they don’t tell you your depot now until after the test as it was an extra worry and distraction but should try to accommodate you re where you live. Best of luck to everyone - won’t be long now until you’re there. Some in my group has applied 6/8 months ago - I was under 3 months which I thought was long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 LaCla

Hi,

Can I ask you how long it takes to have appointment for medical check please?

Great to hear you're getting on well. Can imagine it's probably a bit of information overload and trying to concentrate and take things in the first few days. I've my medical on Friday week [15th] then all going well the theory side of things.

Bit surprised about the strict no parking for trainees considering they've had to commute from god knows where but sure it is what it is. Oddly enough I'm looking forward to getting the uniform if all goes well. I'd say uts strangely satisfying.

I know its only a few days but what would you say has been the best and worst things so far. I'm really stressed about the depot situation. Without getting overly carried away I just don't want to be sent absolutely miles away. Harristown would be my closest.

I'm just hoping I can get to the point now where I'm in the bus and just feeling what it's like and how much different it is. I've driven a sprinter van and heard that although it's obviously a bit more awkward than a van, it's not much different.

I only applied end of Oct myself and as I said hopefully I'll be starting in Jan or Feb.

After a week or 8 days after the interview I received an email to attend for medical-the date for the medical was a wait of 2 weeks.

The medical was about 45 mins long. A nurse filled in a long questionnaire with me, eg. last time at GP, and why..? Any back problems, missed any work because of health reasons etc etc. Urine, height, weight taken. Then into the doctor for 25 mins. Eye test, ear test, basic heart listen, chest listen. I thought my Gp had to send separate report to them but no. All very straight forward. Good luck

You’ll be absolutely fine with driving - even if you hadn’t driven the sprinter. Our second day driving and we were driving out to 30 km outside Dublin and then in middle of heavy traffic in Phibsboro. Even one day made a difference in confidence-one you get the general feel for the vehicle especially what the back wheels do on turns and roundabouts, it’s fine. I hit a couple of kerbs today with back wheels but that’s totally expected. In tight heavy traffic, hitting the mirrors is a worry but after a few days the multi-tasking gets easier. They definitely will try to give you the nearest depot as enough trainees live close to the city so they don’t mind which depot they get really. For parking we drive halfway now, park somewhere safe and hop on a bus to Phibsborough road. Instructors have great empathy and patience and are on your side always-they have their emergency break on the bus if needed of course. You’ll be fine with it. It’s enjoyable unless you are a total nervous wreck in every day life. All are naturally very anxious but smiling soon after. Hope you get there soon.

That's good. Today is the start of week 2 for you. Is it getting a bit easier now ? I'm confident enough that all going well I'll get the hang of driving it fairly quick. Yea I hope I do get a good depot, ideally I think staying within CIE but transitioning to Bus Eireann in either Dundalk or Drogheda would be a better option just in terms of proximity to where I live but if I get Harristiwn i definitely think I could live with that as its close by too in comparison to some of the more out of the way places

• Registered Users Posts: 2 afunnyguy134

Does anyone know if Dublin bus is paid weekly or monthly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

Medical done. Passed. Another step closer. Theory tests next.

Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas.

Just a couple of things.

The cpc case study test. How does it work? I can't find online questions and stuff to revise other than to ready the scenarios. What kind of questions come up afterwards ? Is it simple enough?

Also, I was called for a medical on the 15th of December which was fine and all went well. They filled out the medical/eye sight forms for the ndls however the forms are only valid for 30 days. I can't send them in for my provisional license as I understand it until after I pass the theories and the theories are Jan 17th. (33 days) after which the original medical forms are invalid, will I have to go through a medical process again?

Thanks again in advance for any help and I really appreciate all the support so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Greenham791

Hello, hope you had a nice Christmas too. I just applied for my D license learner permit last week.

For the CPC case study exam, I've linked a post that should help. https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057877930/cpc-case-studies-bus

If you have the official DTT Bus app, you should have all 6 case studies to look at. A lot of the answers will be in the case study and if you're prepared for the theory test that should prepare you. Don't worry you'll be absolutely grand!

For the medical report forms, my forms had not been filled out completely at the CIE, so the NDLS person gave me another form and I just went to my GP and had them filled. Hopefully your GP will waive the fee for you!

Best of luck with your application!

Finally getting there’ start this Monday anybody else in this group for the 8th best of luck everyone else won’t be to long now and for the lads and lady’s who already started hope you all are getting on well.

I just have the theories and then after that I should hear back with a start date all going well. It hasn't.been a bad process so far I'm just eager to get going it's something I've always wanted to do.

Brilliant delighted for you bud you will fly through it don’t get to caught up on the cpc the questions are pretty much the same as the theory test I’ll keep you updated how it’s going and hopefully you’ll be in the group after me.

@InOtherWordsMe how are you getting on with the training pal ?

So a few questions (I know they'll probably be answered in the school but I'm just really excited for this career move)

What are the shifts like ? Presumably with driving rules and regs you could have long days but with not as much driving as you'd think perhaps ?

Do you find out 48 hours before your routes and exact time that you start/finish?

Do all newbies get the 5 week block rota ?

Do newbies get the more rubbish shifts ?

How does route training work after the initial nursery routes ? Does it take long to learn all the routes from the depot ?

I'm not nervous about any of it to be fair because I feel like there are 00's or.bus drivers who all have to start somewhere with regards learning routes I'm just exited to know how it all works.

Do drivers here actually enjoy the job ?

Also I've seen this pay scale thing, if your basic daily is 140 euro and you do 5 days [700 before tax presumably] then how does a 4 day week get more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Andrew071999

Hi all, Im after recieving offer of employment in months time, does anyone know whether i can postpone the start of employment due to personal circumstances

Advertisement