Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

It's grand. Close to town,M50,quays.etc... 15 minutes to walk into town. Good atmosphere in the place. Union reps, inspectors,managers all good to deal with. I won't be moving any time soon.

All spare staff who volunteer to transfer citywide are getting that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 stevvieo

Tired coming to the end of the first week 😅 mentally tired. But loving every minute of it, everybody is very helpful and always offering advice. Especially the drivers. Really sound people in there who want you to succeed. First day was just classroom stuff, good information about the process and company and bank details sorted and stuff. Been driving everyday since. Its full on driving preparing for the test. It becomes easier everyday as the trainers are really really helpful and fill you with confidence.

Nobody got Broadstone, we all got a mix of depots. Got our depots within the first 20 minutes of the first day.

It's a great experience and as I said above everyone wants you to succeed and will always give you any advice they can offer.

Loving the process, feel like I'm there weeks already 🤣

SO, where did you get ?

Who is your instructor, answer by PM if you want. Can't believe nobody is coming to Broadstone. There might be an extra 1K in it for you if you volunteered at the end of training.

I think alot of people would jump on that 1k 😆 it's a great place to work. There's always someone to talk to

• Advertisement

The push for drivers has been extended until July so anyone thinking about it should at least give the process a go, they'll answer any questions you have. There's interviews going on everyday, it's shocking the amount of new people arriving for driving assessments. The training school is crazy busy

The driving assessments and interviews are ongoing all day long. I've seen the cars still out at nearly 5pm. this week even.

There is no harm in asking if you can get Broadstone if it suits you better. Even if you miss the 1k, it's going to be taxed anyway, but in the long run it would save on your commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ginga Ninja 001

Did the driving assessment and interview during the week, hoping to hear back from them within two weeks, hopefully pass the medical, hearings not great in the left ear. Fingers crossed

Whether you have the learner permit or not most of the time you will hear back in a week or so.

You should be OK with the hearing test, it's not a major test just a quick beep test in each ear preformed by the nurse. Over in a minute or 2.

Also, anyone who just has a B licence and thinking of applying just go for it. Anyone I've talked to in training that didn't have the permit Dublin Bus paid for and booked their learner permit and CPC case study. I did mine myself but if I had've known that before I would've just applied with the B licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

this is a great thread

reading it I'm severely tempted to accelerate things a bit and apply to drive and change my working life.

I have full car and bike and been putting myself thru truck since Jan (have the C test lined up in May) original general intent was C, CE then my D...but if I can get C done now I might go straight on to D and apply

I've been in IT for 30 years, server hardware was/is my thing I loved servicing and maintaining it and the operating systems but it's been a race to the bottom last 10 years now, all software based cheapest possible, haven't had a pay rise in I don't know how long plus this constant pressure to keep learning the next latest thing (not lazy, more you never ever get the chance to have satisfaction in being the best you can be, frustrating you always feel half-cooked) I can't see myself reaching the finish line anymore. glorified office work, also zero craic and nobody thanks you. just not what it used to be.

Just so you know, you don't need a C or D license to apply. Just a B car license and the cpc case study thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 renalf

Hey all,

Long time lurker here, and thankful for all the great information.

I had my own driving assessment and interview today, the driving assessment itself was straight forward, quite simple. The guy doing the assessment with me basically told me the idea here is to just make sure I notice the speed limit changes, stop/yield signs & junctions, and yellow boxes on the road. All in all it lasted around 25-30 minutes near the depot.

The interview wasn't so bad either, they just wanted examples of a time you have dealt with difficult people, how to resolve issues and so on. As others have said they wanted safety safety safety, and good customer service examples. They asked me for examples on commitment, interpersonal skills, teamwork, safety awareness, resilience, and customer service skills, as they stated in the email. The written assessment at the end was to write a report on an accident that occurred when a van hit the side of my bus.

I think it went well for me, here's hoping I get on to the next stage now. Best of luck to anyone who is due to take part, or going to apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Eurox6

I think I'm going to apply next week , Iv been wanting to change job for a few years now but after more than 15 yeas there is always that bit of trepidation about trying something new, Its like im happy to not do as well as i can because I'm afraid of doing worse,

I think its time to just go for something different ,

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Darrenv25

Hi folks,

completed online assessment today fairly straight forward, anyone have an idea on when i should hear back on that?

also does anyone know if there’s a structure for rostering eg; 1 wk earlies, 1 Wk middle,1 wk late & 1 Wk nights or is it just pot luck what your working any given day ?

thanks in advance

Have a look back a few pages. Someone posted a sample roster.

Basically it's a 5 week block. 2 early weeks,2 late and 1 mixed. Then you have a long weekend off and start the block again. There's also a Sat/Sun weekend off at the end of week 3 of the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

The 5 week rota, don't ask me why the picture is side ways

Thank you,

doesnt look too bad of a roster other then it being every 2 weeks before you get 2 days off together

If you slightly crop the pictures they will be the right way up.

"R" is rest day above btw.

• Advertisement

Got a call yesterday for a cancellation medical today, can't make it due to work but I am assuming that means I am in now, as long as all goes well in the medical.

ok after yet another crushing day at work I decided to go for it, hopefully not too late

I have the CPC booked now for 24th May, immediately (if) I get past that hurdle I'll put in the application

(best I can do as I've already got my C test lined up now and have the current job and a family hollier thrown into the mixer too)

Got the email today for medical, on the 17th of May, it's nice how quick it's moving along. Looking forward to hopefully starting soon now.

For anyone interested in the timeline of application process:

Applied Friday 21st April

Online assessment Tuesday 25th April

Interview and driving assessment Tuesday 2nd May

Medical Monday 15th May

Take out weekends and bank holidays and it’s 2 weeks in all, a lot quicker than I expected it to be.

Interview was quite relaxed and Handy enough, asked about my previous experience then it was a case of if you were a bus driver what would you do in x situation and how would handle y situation.

been looking thru some driver feedback on other sites…

could someone in the know explain the concept of “getting marked in” and why it takes many years to achieve?? (I think it means more permanent assignment to specific route/depot)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Marked in means doing the same route all the time, on set duties so you know in 10/20/50 weeks what you're going to be working. It goes on seniority, so the lower your number the better chance of being marked in. It's not all roses though, being marked in

• Registered Users Posts: 5 toescouser

Just got my d license learner permit after passing all other assessments & medical. I sent an email copy straight away. Any idea how long to wait for training after that?

Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 5 toescouser

I have holidays too, they were very good working around them. I filled out application in February and got offered the job last week. They would of offered sooner only for the holidays. Good Luck

I had my medical last Tuesday, 16th, all went well there and the Doc declared me fit to drive. Lots of questions about any health issues, yes or no questions and explanations, and BP and urine test, no bloods taken for me. Usual eye test reading letters from a chart and colour blind test, and the hearing test was quick too, different frequency beeps in each ear.

Received my D learner permit in the post Monday, and sent it over that evening. I got a reply saying thanks and they'll be in touch in due course.

The whole process up until now has been smooth and quick, yet it is only just over a week since passing the medical and the wait is at me already.

• Advertisement

Got the job offer today, here's my timeline for anyone that may be interested,

I had the online assessment on the 13th of April, interviewed on the 24th of April, medical was then on the 17th of May, references contacted on the 1st of June and job offer this morning 2nd of June. My start date is the 3rd of July.

Best of luck to anyone joining in.

Advertisement