Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 wayne31

I don't live a million miles from Dundalk and I'm starting in the training school in Phibsboro. on Monday week. It's a treck and a half going in but it is what it is. After that I'll be hoping to get the Harristown garage because at least then it'll be the closest possible one to where I live. 🤞

Excited to start the training school now. What can I expect from the first couple of weeks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

First two weeks you'll just be focused on the safe control of a bus. Third week you'll hopefully do your test and then next two weeks you'll spend in the classroom. Simple stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Is there any parking facilities at the training centre that is free? They say there's no parking there. Another thing I didn't appreciate is they advertise a wage of 848 weekly increased to 948 after a few years in their jobs advert, but having got the letter of employment they're only paying 661 base pay and advertising that you can make 839 once assigned a garage and do weekends with Sunday bonuses. I don't appreciate that slight of hand at all.

Do you find that with 661 a week traveling from the distance you are that petrol is not 150 a week to Dublin and be better off with something local?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

€839 I would hope is for a basic week,with alot more added for weekend work.

No it's not. It's a 6 year pay scale. So your first year and second year your basic is 680 (says that on contract but in letter on training told me 661.15).

Then it says average weekly earnings including weekends and sunday bonus = 839.

So, if you're having to commute to this an hour or more from Dublin, with the understanding you're definitely coming out with 839 a week then you'd be very much mistaken. I had calculated my ability to do the job based on the 839 and not on the 661. Therefore I'm forced to look for something more local.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

If your average weekly earnings are €839.00, then that's what you will earn on average, per week. Some weeks it will be less, and some more.

It's also gross pay. Not "coming out with".

Not sure what you were expecting?

What is gross pay, the 839 before taxes are taken out or the basic 661 is gross?? I was expecting to be earning 839 after taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

All your pay will be gross to start with. basic + any allowances ( Overtime, weekend work, Sunday allowance etc.) They are all taxable.

Your tax will depend on your personal circumstances. tax credits, cut-off point etc.

Dublin Bus will have no control over how much tax you pay. They will just set your gross pay.

I see, so 839 after taxes and my 150 euro commute to Dublin and back I'd be getting 555 a week (assuming I'm getting 839 a week as sometimes it will be less). I'd be better off doing something local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I'd take the job offer if your not happy with it🤣🤣 been trying to get into DB for years. On a serious note it's up to you I guess it depends on what is available in your local area, are you a car licence or D holder?

If you don't have the D licence it might be worth while to do it get paid while you train and build up experience then take a job closer to home or maybe try get a transfer to a BE depot that might closer for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

Why can't you get in? Is it the driving assessment that is strict or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Yeah can't get passed the driving assessment not really sure why as I've passed driving assessments with other companies.

€661 is for 6 weeks in the training school, stop acting as if that's bad money to learn how to drive a bus considering if you did it outside you'd pay €120 per lesson on your own time.

Scale 1/2 is €797 exclusive of Sunday and €907 inclusive for two years which averages out at (yes you guessed it) €840. There's no slight of hand, there's just you causing minor outrage within yourself.

I'm not learning how to drive. I've already spent a few grand getting this licence. €661 for six weeks before taxes would be less than what I get on social welfare. As a married man with two kids I get €486 weekly on welfare, for the six weeks training after taxes and petrol and tollls I'll be getting 375 per week. When I do eventually get to a garage and begin I'm worried I'll not get the 840 after taxes you speak of. When you say scale 1/2 are you saying the first two years after base pay of 680 I'll average 797 exclusive of Sundays after or before taxes?

Thanks for the help by the way I really appreciate it. For me this is a dream job and to let it go over a miscalculation on my behalf would be horrible. I just want to know I'm able to do it for their benefit and my own of course.

€661 for two weeks seeing as you have the license. Then you'll be onto a 5 week roster in your garage, 3 weeks of €797 and 2 weeks of €907. All three wages are Gross Pay.

Scale goes as 1/2, 3/4, 5 and then 6 so after 5 years you are on the top scale of €920 and €1050 (Which is due to make a final rise in January 2025).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sharonlawlor

I've a D license bus theory test questions

Any advice

I've been parking in broadstone which is the bus eireann part and I've had no issues. If you park across in Phibsboro bus depot I think you cab get clamped but so far so good.

I don't think it's slight of hand at all but that's just me, it reads very clearly in the offer of employment that it's 6 weeks in the school at 681 a week and to be honest when you consider how much it costs for DB to put you through the lessons etc and the fact they pay you to sit on a bus is quite good.

I'm paying about 50-60 a week on diesel.

When you actually get a depot after you pass your driving test (you'd be waiting up to a year privately you get it with db within 4 weeks and you're getting it for free)

The thing I've found coming to the end of the second week it's how good the instructors are and you build a rapport with your group really quickly so you can support them and vice versa and the whole process so far has been really good.

Of course at the end of getting the license, you don't have to stay if you don't want to, you can leg it. But no matter what job you take afterwards the money and perks won't be as good.

No it's not strict. Its basic enough, if you can stick to speed limits then you're fine. It's not a driving test you're doing. It's just to show you can drive. That's it

You'd think you're not learning to drive cause you've spent a few bob on lessons, but you are learning to drive in different conditions that you'd be used to I'd imagine ie, driving in the city centre which is hard hard work. The 661 you're talking about is only while training and when you do get to a garage after passing the tests, as others have said you get the 800+ on average before tax. There are many easy ways to bump that up too with OT, working through breaks etc

I can't get my head around you paying 150 euro a week on juice for the car. Are you flying around in concorde? 😅 look, there's no harm in going through the school, getting your license and if it suited you better, putting in a transfer to BE in Dundalk or Drogheda which would save money on the commute (I'd stay with CIE if possible, the private companies will just not pay as well)

I personally want to earn my license with DB, work for them in an ideal world and live happily ever after, however if it doesn't work out I've the option once I pass to transfer if needs be and hopefully go to bus eireann but that's a second option, ideally I'll get the depot I want and all the perks including pension etc that cones with DB and I can also say that just 2 weeks in they're just incredibly nice and professional and have been made feel so welcome so I'm glad I took the jump

This is strange? Have you points on your license or are you flying around. I've never known anyone to fail the assessment. Could it have been the interview that went pear-shaped afterwards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

lads if this is off topic apologies (tho medium term aim is to get driving with DB/CiE)

I decided last year to try for my C+D logic being in case my current (horrible but paying bills) job went pearshaped and would have something at least to offer if/when it goes pop, waiting to be unemployed before starting on it isn't really an option for me

I got my C passed recently and now I'm lining up to test in Finglas for the D next month

money tight, I'm hoping to get away with doing 6hrs of lessons + the test hire

thinking there would be plenty on here have been thru the D test via DB...was wondering for example is the test done any differently for lads doing it private vs DB? are all busses auto clutch/box these days? are there any setpiece routes I can start to get going on (or any other useful bits I can do) before I start the lessons to get most outa them?

any hints/tips anyone can offer appreciate it

I'm thinking about getting the bus from louth to customs house and then cycling my fold up bike to work from there. Anyone know if I get free bus and train travel as I'm working for Dublin Bus? I don't have a pass but maybe I could show them my letter or contract of employment until I get some temporary pass at least? Is there anywhere to safely put your bike in Dublin Bus Depot?

You'll get a rambler leap card when you start, there's bike cages to lock it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KukiCRO

Just quick question for someone who has been through application and recruitment process or heard about it.

I just applied with DB as a B licence holder and I thought that I don't have to have theory test for D and cpc study done before hand. ( I know that my chances are better to get the job if I do it on my own) Did I miss on something or minimum requirement is B for minimum of 2 years?

Thanks

Post edited by KukiCRO on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Greenham791

You can apply with just your B Licence and then DB will book your theory tests for you.

Has anyone here any experience commuting one hour to their garage and how do they find it? What does a typical shift in a garage for a newcomer look like? Do you find you're accommodated more for shifts if you're an hourly commuter or is it the same for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 groucho22

Hi everyone, I've read through with great interest. I have applied for role as a driver and hoping it all goes well. One thing I'm concerned about is the medical. Do you have to declare all medication, do they contact your doctor. I'm on a mild anti depressant and I'm worried it will go against me. Any advice? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7 KukiCRO

How did you get on with your medical at the end? I got an invitation for online assessment today.Now I've been reading back and seen this and got bit nervous as I have minimal disc bulging so from time to time I'm having a hard time with back pain and sciatica. Would that be a big no no for them? I would say that work I'm doing atm is problem and I would be better of ditching that and becoming bus driver.

I have to ask what Darky did as well. Has anyone here ever commuted an hour to Dublin to work for DB? The doc at medical told me some lads from carlow travel to work. Would it not be difficult having to get up at 2am, leave your house and 3am then to start work at 4:30am?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Plenty of drivers commuting from places like Gorey, Carlow, Portlaoise, Mullingar and Dundalk.

If you live on a Bus Eireann route that has a night service you could use that to get to work

A good few of them are senior drivers that have been doing it for 20+ years.

Advertisement