Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Overtime is completely by choice, I do my fair share but never at their will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, completely at your discretion.

No problem to ok your rest day and then give it back if you have something on or if you don't fancy what you got.

3% increase coming in January '24 and '25 will bring the top rate to about 52.5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

In Bus driving in general where is the most money to be made in this country, Would it be at Dublin bus or is the job that pay better out there you could move on to ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Dublin Bus or Bus Eireann pay better than all the privates. There is private tour work which I believe pays well but it's seasonal so DB/BE would be your best bet and it's not just money it's working conditions aswell that are better with DB.

With the privates it's all the same long hours for not much more than the minimum wage. Although it does depend on the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Beer Assistant

Not a great incentive if there actively looking for drivers, I guess I won't be returning to Dublin Bus anytime soon 😢 be mad to go back for less money.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gdd1986

Hi I have the driving assessment and interview tomorrow. Any ideas on what I should wear? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Smart but comfortable and something you can drive in.

Smart, casual. No suits needed.

Driving assessment is in a Nissan Leaf.

Automatic and Electric. You will drive it around Broadstone for a bit to get used to it before going out on the road. It's dead easy to drive so don't sweat over it.

Some interviews are done in Broadstone and some are done in the old medical department, upstairs in Earl Place.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

It's in an 00 AV if your a D licence holder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Cheezetoast

How ya lads.

I've been given a start date but I must say after reading here I'm fairly apprehensive.

Is the work-life balance really as bad as people let on ?

I have an 8 month old daughter and I'm a big family man. The thought of being missing all day every day and having to miss milestones ect is enough to make me not take the job .

If some drivers could give me some solid advice that'd be great lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

I work as a social care worker for an organisation that deal with autism

I work mad hours for 760 after tax a week

Can it really be that bad

I'm on a mix of 13 hour days

12 hour waking nights

24 hour shifts

I barely see my family

Now, that's mad hours... The shifts can be long sometimes and short at other times, if you give it a try and don't like it, at least you will have a bus licence out of it. There's plenty of overtime available and it's not difficult to take home 7- 800 a week. Nothing like the hours of Dark Knight above.

If been mulling over going for the job for months, but with 3 kids im on the fence for the same reason you are,

I've been there. Used to do night security in a university. Shifts as long as 16.5 hours. Weeks as long as 72 hours. All for next to nothing.

My job now is 12 hour 2 days 12 hour 2 nights and then 4 off..... I suppose I'm probably trading long blocks with the family for seeing them every day.

My partner is an aims worker and honestly the wages the people who care for our most vulnerable are offered is shameful. Devoting your live to such hardship should be well rewarded.

I'm gonna give it a go. Sure look worst that happens I got a free bus licence and I join up with some school buss operator closer to home or whatever.

The jib I'm currently in is a fairly skilled technical job so I guess if I hate it in DB there is always the option to just cone back here.

Wish me luck !

Honestly I'm passed the point of OT and money being my goal. Once the bills are paid and my kid has what she needs I just wanna be at home with them.

Though there was a time where I was managing 850 a week take home kn 12.05 an hour by gobbling all the hours in the world

What would have happened to the driver of the Bus that knocked down the guy the weekend ?

Its tragic accident & god bless the lads family but that can't have been easy on the bus driver ,Be very hard to get over that ,

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

One for the ladies

Dublin Bus are having an open day on Saturday 21st October & Saturday 11th November for women only

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Md1991

Hi everyone had my medical last Wednesday doctor was very happy as I’ve no underlying issues any idea how long the waiting list is for theories to be booked and job offer everything thing else so far has been fairly quick to this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 InOtherWordsMe

Hi just wondering if you have heard anything since your medical? I had mine last week 16th Oct, told me was fine - I asked HR when the next start date would be for new trainees and was told from mid-November. Referees have not been contacted yet. Thanks. Gone very quiet on here lately !

any update since? Hope you got a start date 👍. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Andrew071999

Just quick question for anyone whos in DB atm.I done medical last month , they requested report from GP about back problems due to accident last year and recovery, physio. Etc, but got tested by works occupational health doctor who certified that Im able to work on construction site, that was done in january and I have worked since, just be raging if they say that I wont be able to drive bus but Im able to work on construction site

Did you get start date yet? Very best of luck with it. As above I attended for my medical on 16th October, I know one referee was contacted on 25th, so still waiting to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Md1991

Thanks for your reply mate I got my theory and cpc booked in for this Friday so hopefully that goes to plan and should get a start date before Christmas I’d imagine hopefully your well on the way now.

That’s great, they’re not difficult you’ll fly through them, the app is spot on. DB rang me yesterday - start date is 4th Dec so I was delighted You’ll most likely be the same just I did my theory in August before I applied to DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

Hi all. First Post, not really sure what I'm doing, a quick Google brought me here to this thread and notice Its had a bit of feedback so thought I'd join up and ask a few questions (apologies if they've already been answered).

So essentially. I've applied for Dublin bus (driver) as a b license holder. I've a passion for driving, I love it. I'm currently driving a sprinter van bus just want a career that potentially offers a little more security and money down the line. I've wanted to do a bit of driving for some time now but you read so many bad reviews about how drivers etc are treated etc and basically as someone who is now awaiting the competentcy/interview stage I just have questions about what I can expect if I see it all through.

1. Do DB pay for the theory/cpc course during training

2. Are you paid during the 6 week training where you're learning to drive the bus itself?

3. If you gain your full license + CPC through Dublin bus, are you obliged to work for them or can you move to say Bus Eireann ?

4. Do I get to choose the depot im based out of upon employment ? Where I live, harristown out in Swords is probably the closest to home.

5. I've seen loads of posts about a 5 week roster, is that only drivers who are there a while? Is it true that you only find out when you're working 2 days in advance as a newbie?

6. As a newbie could you do any route and if so how does that work in terms of training for these routes if they change all the time ?

7. Is the wage (starting at just over 800pw) from when you're offered employment after training and is that actual take home pay before OT or is that the pay after the 12 month probation.

Sorry about the long post. Obviously there's lots to do before getting there but it's taking over my life not knowing 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 12 renalf

I'll do my best to answer, not long working there but I do have a few months in service behind me now.

1. Yes, all the CPC is done in house and paid for by the company, and you get paid a day's training for it.

2. You are paid for training too, if I'm not mistaken it was ~€661 a week, with lunch included.

3. There is no catch to staying with DB after getting your license, and also there are internal vacancies shared between DB and BE, to make the move easier.

4. Depot allocation is based on demand and who is needed where at the time.

5. I started on the 5 week roster, seems it's the norm now anyway, you will know for 5 weeks if you are in early or late, but you won't know your actual duty until generally 48 hours before (start time/finish time).

6. Normally there are nursery routes within the depot which you will be trained on, but as a new driver you could be subject to run on any of these routes, and it can change day to day. However you may be expected to work any route from the depot so long as you have been shown it.

7. The wage advertised is the wage you will be earning after training, but it is an average wage over a 26 week period, it varies weekly depending on Sunday working, bank holidays and any other premium days.

I hope that helps clear up a few things for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

That's brilliant. Thanks so much for your time and effort getting back to me.

How was your interview. I'm at the competency and interview stage just waiting to hear for a date.

I am excited about the prospect of the career change.

Is there any advice you'd give me. Has it lived up to your expectations ? What are the shifts generally speaking. I know there is a early, middle and late option. Do shift lengths vary based on the fact you can only do 90 hours over a 2 week period ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the valuable info-as already posted I was informed that I’m starting on the 4th December. Whole application process took 7 weeks. If you don’t mind I would love to hear about a typical day, late or early. How is the shift divided up-is it for example 3 runs then break then 3 more? Do you always return to the depot for an hour lunch or if running late do you only take eg. 40 mins. If shift takes longer, I’m sure it often does - do you still have to do so many journeys of the route or you finish at exact time and next driver takes over? In the weeks as a newbie are the shifts very long with waiting around as I’ve heard or 7 and half hours? Sorry, I only meant to ask a couple of questions but I have millions …sincere apologies.

Advertisement