Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus looking for Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Add your shift allowance to that and you get 818 before tax if you don't work a Sunday in the week and you get 935 if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Andrew071999

Im after accepting the offer, starting training next month, question regarding parking at the training center. Ill be commuting from Meath, eithet N3 or N4 and wondering where is the best spot to park.Last resort Im considering parking at the Heuston station and leaving the car for the day and just getting a luas up or walk down, or does anyone know any spots nearby to access the training center

• Registered Users Posts: 43 wayne31

Do newbies start off on the 5 week block rota ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

There's parking outside the control center, and every driver now starts on the 5 week block

Do new drivers get shafted with the worse shifts ?

Someone told me the other day that newbies are getting all late shifts and the absolute worse of the worse possible shifts.

Yet someone else told me that everyone is treated the same and there are early middles (including bogeys) and lates on everyones 5 week roster wether you're there a week or 20 years (the only difference being the drivers there longer may have their set routes)

Also told ro request the depot I Wang cause i live in Louth for commuting. Do I ask about that in the school or when offered a position of employment ?

Post edited by wayne31 on

• Advertisement

You'll get your fair share of good and bad duties. Summer time you'll find you're doing better, and Christmas you'll do worse because drivers reappear. Duties are given based on your hours + seniority. I'm marked in (do only one Zone which is two routes for me) but on days I float (such as bank holidays or Saturday service) then the 'best' spare duty will go to me before it goes to you.

You can't request a depot anymore, they'll likely give you Harristown and you're free to put in a transfer the day you start in the depot.

How do you get "marked in" ? Is it just a case of staying in the job long enough, being reliable, on time, no sick days, etc?

When you say based on hours do you mean the amount of hours you've legally driven, so a week where I drive 50 hours I will be given duties the following week no longer than 40 cause of the regulations around driving ?

I'd be more worried about the depot situation, providing i get to that point id love Harristown as its the closest depot.

Being marked in is entirely based on seniority, but it also depends on other drivers not applying for it. You may get it over someone more senior if they haven't applied.

They will always try max your hours, but this leads to you getting workouts and better, shorter duties albeit seldom in the first while. Working hours is different to spread, you may have a 10 hour duty but only work for 6. It isn't super common, but it does happen.

You'll find out your depot on the day you start

Oh so you apply to be marked in ? I didn't know that. Obviously you'd expect people there longer to get better shifts and marked in quicker if they apply. Makes sense.

Max my hours as in my driving hours. [90 over 2 wks]. If you have a 10 hour duty and only work for 6, do you get paid for a 10 hour shift ?

On the 5 week rota, does everyone get the Saturday, Sunday and Monday off once in that 5 week block and Saturday and Sunday off in the 5 week block (so in other words 2 weekends off every 5 weeks)

I'll find out my depot the day I start in the school or first day in the actual job ?

Thanks so much by the way for answering my questions. I really do appreciate your time

You get paid your weekly regardless of how many hours you actually work. For example, next week I'll only be working for 22 hours but I'll still get paid the same as this week which is 33 hours.

Same 5 week roster as everybody else, two weekends and 3 Sundays off in 5.

First day you start in the school

• Advertisement

Hours worked as in driving time ? That's cool.

Thanks for answering my questions I've just one more 😅 let's say I get a depot that doesn't suit and I put in for a transfer how long could I be waiting for it to be accepted/rejected?

Roll on first day in the school anyway

Minimum 6 months, you could get lucky and offer a swap with another newbie in the class. It'll never be rejected, it's just a case of waiting until a 'position' is available, and by that it means full staffing level per depot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Does anyone have any experience applying for DB as a D licence holder?

Would they not clamp you if you are only starting the driver training?, I know they said if you park at training center theyll clamp you

They'll clamp you in Phibsborough, not Broadstone

Thank you, and I have question about shifts, I heard from some people about some mad gaps during day like 3-4 hr unpaid breaks during the day, is that very common, plus whats the story if you had some preference for shifts like myself I would prefer lotta late shifts, even night shifts if possible, or is it all mixed shifts and they assign you shifts?

Got a start date in the school. 26th of February. Delighted.

ll be starting myself soon too, anyone has any info how shifts look, or how is it planned timewise

I have done a little bit of asking around and from what I can gather, everyone does a 5 week block consisting of earlies, middles and lates and its roughly the same 5 week block every set of 5 weeks. Now I've no idea if every depot does the same and one depot might be different to another in terms of shifts but every garage has the 5 week block as far as I'm aware.

There's also nightservice so presumably there will be through the night shifts but I'm not very up to date on that at all. I'm not sure that's set in stone.

This is a picture I received from someone who works in DB.

Hows the pay like for those hours as some shifts are looking pretty long and as well as sundays, is sunday paid more if its still on the 5 day,like probably if its those long unpaid breaks, I could somehow entertain myself like go to city center to gym or something.I heard from someone that it is prohibited to park in broadstone depot even during training, that you can go to harristown depo and take bus from then, but that adds up another good while to traveling to phibsborough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

You can definitely park in Broadstone during training and walk across the bridge to the training centre. Most days you will report to Broadstone anyway, unless you are doing some classroom stuff when you will be in the training centre in Phibsboro. There's no clamping in Broadstone, so no need to worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Not company affiliated but:

Now I've no idea if every depot does the same and one depot might be different to another in terms of shifts but every garage has the 5 week block as far as I'm aware.

Every garage and every standard "5/7" roster across the company is built on the same 5-week block system.

Knowing how the roster works (one each of Mon-Fri off, two Saturdays, three Sundays off) allows you to guess how many permanently spare duties will be on a given route/bill, since they can only fit in multiples of 4 MF, 3 Sa and 2 Su duties. It's also partially the reason why there are so many more spare duties on the weekends than during the week: in the past, those 4:3:2 proportions reflected the service levels across the week quite well, but over the years the Sunday service levels have been coming up much closer to the Mon-Sat service, meaning more duties, yet the number of duties that can fit into a standard roster is still the same, so what else could you do other than give it to the spare man.

On a side note, that N4 roster is the first time I've seen a DB rota give the hours directly on the sheet, usually it's just a grid of the duty numbers and you'd have to cross-reference the hours on a different sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy.

Me too starting on the 26th February. The lucky date. I hope... ✌️☘️🤣

Post edited by Happy. on

Quick question guys.

I see on the pay scale chart you have your basic daily and shift daily, do you have to do a certain amount of hours in a day to get the shift daily added on to your basic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭rx8

No, the shift premium is paid as long as you are working any type of shift pattern. The only way that you wouldn't get it, is if you were doing a 9 - 5 type job, like, traffic operative, clerical staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AX636

That N4 rota is a marked in rota where someoneput the times in, the spare rota will only have E or L on it

Brilliant. Probably be in the school with me. Best of luck 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Happy.

Probably 🤜🤛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭The Darkroom

I'm due to get the medical soon and travelling from Dundalk. Is there anyone here who commutes from an hour away either by public transport or car and how do you find it?

Advertisement