Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nelson Mandela has passed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Great footage here of Mandela grooving during a Corrs set at a dinner for the special Olympics. Pure joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Piliger wrote: »
    But it was a campaign almost exclusively against infrastructure. Yes there were mistakes that cost lives, but unlike the IRA terrorist serial killers who glorified in murdering and torturing as many innocent people as they could possibly manage, Mandela's policy was the exact opposite.

And that's entirely where your revisionism falls flat. Notwithstanding your inaccurate description of the IRA's campaign; the ANC had extensive links with that organisation. Today the ANC and Sinn Féin retain many links and consult on a regular basis, every year multiple delegations etc are exchanged. Mandela himself has expressed support for the IRA in the past.

Your notion that Mandela et al wouldn't have anything to do with Republicans is rooted in your own imagination I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

:D I remember that. My Dad, who was a Guard at the time was on duty and he said the crowd was chanting "oh ah Paul McGrath" over and over as they waited for Jack and the lads to come home. Then Nelson Mandella arrived first and people started chanting "Oh ah Paul McGrath's Da" and that Mandella thought this was hillarious.

Is that really true, or is it just another great urban myth?

Genuine question. I wasn't in the country at the time. I really hope it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Genuine question. I wasn't in the country at the time. I really hope it is true.

Not an urban myth.

Mary McAleese claims her daughter Sarah triggered it.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mary-mcaleese-my-daughter-triggered-the-paul-mcgrath-chant-at-mandelas-visit-251898.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The "Farm Attacks" figures apparently haven't been recorded properly since 2000. The official figures from 91 to 2001 (taking in the new regime) is 1,047 Afrikaner landowners murdered. The tally's in the zeros have surged, it's believed the figure now stands well over 4000.

As this goes on many Afikaners in Urban Areas have to live in gated communities, Mandela promised equality for every people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

. . . away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

FTA69 wrote: »
    And that's entirely where your revisionism falls flat. Notwithstanding your inaccurate description of the IRA's campaign; the ANC had extensive links with that organisation. Today the ANC and Sinn Féin retain many links and consult on a regular basis, every year multiple delegations etc are exchanged. Mandela himself has expressed support for the IRA in the past.

Your notion that Mandela et al wouldn't have anything to do with Republicans is rooted in your own imagination I'm afraid.

Your fanciful revisionism is nothing but fiction. And your blindness toward the killers and torturers of the IRA is a joke. Mandela has made no such statements and making it up as you go along doesn't persuade anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

It's a complete urban myth and never happened as it is claimed. I was outside the Mansion house and the other locations that day and it never happened. Maybe five or six people made asses of themselves but Mandela never heard it and nor did 90% of the crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Your fanciful revisionism is nothing but fiction. And your blindness toward the killers and torturers of the IRA is a joke. Mandela has made no such statements and making it up as you go along doesn't persuade anyone.

Who do you think taught the ANC how to make bombs?
    But one story which the professor, who died in June, left for his memoirs was his contacts with Gerry Adams, and what he describes as the IRA's training for the ANC's military wing and support role in a high profile attack on a South African oil refinery.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14718640

Were the dozens of ANC activists I've met at Sinn Féin events over the years a figment of my imagination? Did I make up the annual delegations that the ANC and SF reciprocate?

Nelson was also a great pal of the PLO and supported their armed struggle as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The "Farm Attacks" figures apparently haven't been recorded properly since 2000. The official figures from 91 to 2001 (taking in the new regime) is 1,047 Afrikaner landowners murdered. The tally's in the zeros have surged, it's believed the figure now stands well over 4000.

As this goes on many Afikaners in Urban Areas have to live in gated communities, Mandela promised equality for every people.

Please read this....
    http://www.africacheck.org/reports/are-white-afrikaners-really-being-killed-like-flies/

• Advertisement

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/ed-curran/nelson-mandela-was-against-ira-decommissioning-29384673.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Have to laugh at the outpouring and support for the great man that was Nelson Mandela on the media here.

Go into Dublin city centre guys. I see full blown apartheid here in Dublin. Black taxi drivers are fully discriminated against not just by other so called 'native' taxi drivers, but by plenty of the general public, simply refusing or letting a taxi go by when they see a black taxi driver at the wheel.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the outpouring and support for the great man that was Nelson Mandela on the media here.

Go into Dublin city centre guys. I see full blown apartheid here in Dublin. Black taxi drivers are fully discriminated against not just by other so called 'native' taxi drivers, but by plenty of the general public, simply refusing or letting a taxi go by when they see a black taxi driver at the wheel.

That's not apartheid. You're being rather silly, to put it mildly.

Nodin wrote: »

Definition of apartheid:

1. An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.
    2. A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.
    3. The condition of being separated from others; segregation.

Relevant text highlighted in bold.

Definition of apartheid:

1. An official policy of racial segregation formerly practiced in the Republic of South Africa, involving political, legal, and economic discrimination against nonwhites.
    2. A policy or practice of separating or segregating groups.
    3. The condition of being separated from others; segregation.

Relevant text highlighted in bold.

....again, comparing whatever goes on to South African Apartheid is silly. And insulting to those who suffered under it. Whatever case you have to make is undermined by this kind of thing.

Nodin wrote: »

Well if white only taxi ranks ain't apartheid than leave me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Show me a white only taxi rank in Ireland and I won't laugh at your argument.

I strongly suspect I will be laughing at your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Show me a white only taxi rank in Ireland and I won't laugh at your argument.

I strongly suspect I will be laughing at your argument.

Look for yourself. Not hard to see. Perhaps denial is in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

27 years locked up for what he believed in. Not sure there's too many people out there that would have ever done that.

You might want to rephrase that.

• Advertisement

I may be missing something but can someone explain to me why the apparently excessive adulation?

I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

I may be missing something but can someone explain to me why the apparently excessive adulation?

I don't get it.
    Do some research on his life and career and you will get it.

Do some research on his life and career and you will get it.

I did and I don't. I don't understand why he has been elevated to near sainthood.

Look for yourself. Not hard to see. Perhaps denial is in the way.

So there are none, seeing as you are unwilling to show me any. I shall now laugh at your argument, as promised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Healy Rae Permit Holder

I did and I don't. I don't understand why he has been elevated to near sainthood.
    There are 4 steps involved for sainthood.

So there are none, seeing as you are unwilling to show me any. I shall now laugh at your argument, as promised.

Are you just one of these nuisances that denies that the Holocaust ever happened, that global-warming is some sort of conspiracy theory as was 9/11.

I attach a few links to some charming little articles which might spell out the matter fairly articulately for the ‘back patters’ who chose to overlook the disturbing, disgusting, full on taxi apartheid that operates in our cities. Nelson Mandel would weep.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/human_rights/documents/galway_taxi_industry_report__riding_along_with_racism.pdf
    Extract from page 20: “In some of the world’s most advanced democracies among nations that take just pride in their long history of social progressiveness migrants are being denied their basic human rights.”

http://www.herald.ie/news/divided-by-race-27961736.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-taxi-drivers-paschal-mooney-766574-Jan2013/

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?381-No-Blacks-just-Irish!-Is-the-Irish-Taxi-Council-white-only/page2#.UqRD0tJdXng

A FIANNA FÁIL Senator Senator Paschal Mooney has said he will not get into a taxi driven by someone who is not from Ireland. (Jan 23, 1860 2013)
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/84478?search_text=Sinn+Fein

Perhaps you could identify, along with the other hypocrites, the short extract below from this Transcript of Mary Robinson’s Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture Freedom, truth, democracy: citizenship and common purpose 5 August 2012

"if you enact a law that cloaks the workings of state actors, that interferes with press freedom to investigate corruption, that stifles efforts by whistleblowers to expose corruption, you are sure to increase those levels of corruption tomorrow. The public interest demands that basic truth, of having both transparency and accountability in government. Secrecy is the enemy of truth in this regard."

Finally,
    “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” — Nelson Mandela

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Name just one "white only" taxi rank here in Ireland, just one ~ go for it.

For our entertainment while you make up another gem..

As regards to Nelson Mandela, I'm completely indifferent to him dying. He was a very old man.

But I celebrate the mans life, I think he was pretty amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Christ why do the shiners have to hijack everything...

Are you just one of these nuisances that denies that the Holocaust ever happened, that global-warming is some sort of conspiracy theory as was 9/11.

I attach a few links to some charming little articles which might spell out the matter fairly articulately for the ‘back patters’ who chose to overlook the disturbing, disgusting, full on taxi apartheid that operates in our cities. Nelson Mandel would weep.

http://www.nuigalway.ie/human_rights/documents/galway_taxi_industry_report__riding_along_with_racism.pdf
    Extract from page 20: “In some of the world’s most advanced democracies among nations that take just pride in their long history of social progressiveness migrants are being denied their basic human rights.”

http://www.herald.ie/news/divided-by-race-27961736.html

http://www.thejournal.ie/senator-taxi-drivers-paschal-mooney-766574-Jan2013/

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?381-No-Blacks-just-Irish!-Is-the-Irish-Taxi-Council-white-only/page2#.UqRD0tJdXng

A FIANNA FÁIL Senator Senator Paschal Mooney has said he will not get into a taxi driven by someone who is not from Ireland. (Jan 23, 1860 2013)
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/84478?search_text=Sinn+Fein

Perhaps you could identify, along with the other hypocrites, the short extract below from this Transcript of Mary Robinson’s Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture Freedom, truth, democracy: citizenship and common purpose 5 August 2012

"if you enact a law that cloaks the workings of state actors, that interferes with press freedom to investigate corruption, that stifles efforts by whistleblowers to expose corruption, you are sure to increase those levels of corruption tomorrow. The public interest demands that basic truth, of having both transparency and accountability in government. Secrecy is the enemy of truth in this regard."

Finally,
    “What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” — Nelson Mandela

None of those examples constitute apartheid, and the sources are sketchy at best. Is there an official policy of racial segregation in Ireland? Of course there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Had enough of this, Chinasea banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement