Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

If he doesn't put Cole away (in devasting fashion aa he himself puts it) relatively quickly, not only will he look foolish, the amount of trash he's talked, but there's no way he'll be ready for a title run anytime soon.

I do believe the finish was there for him vs Holloway though barring that injury. Holloway was engaging only very safely to avoid Mcgregor's counter punching and evenso was flustered by the end of round 1 and hurt.

Who knows though, we'll see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,628 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think Prior and Conor would be a very close and entertaining fight,
    I can't see Conor ever been ranked top 5 so the likes of Prior would be in my opinon the best he can beat,
    I just don't see Conor having a hope aginst the Aldo's ,Mendes or Frankie's ,

I'd like to see Conor v ZOmbie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

That attitude cost a lot of people a lot of money the last fight. Just saying.

Not sure what you mean. Not a gambling man myself, are you saying people put money on Conor to win by knockout and lost because he tore his ACL and didnt knockout Max Holloway?

Had he not sustained that injury I am confident he would of put Max away.

The chances of that happening again are slim (but not impossible). I really only see Cole having a chance catching a sub off his back early in the fight when they are dry. Outside of that it will more than likely be a beat down dealt out by McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I just don't see Conor having a hope aginst the Aldo's ,Mendes or Frankie's ,
    Frankie Edgar was once told by Joe Silva that he was too small to even join the cast of TUF. He wasn't getting signed by the UFC, he only got a 1 fight deal as they needed a late replacement.

I think we all know how that turned out.

Of course Conor isn't good enough to be champ now but he could continue to improve for years.
    Maybe we just just let take each fight as it comes. Instead of speculating on 3 or 4 fights down the road, and deciding on somebody's max potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Wonder how he will be after getting his first loss. Not gonna happen soon against people like miller but probably 2015. That will be the crucial point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

are you saying people put money on Conor to win by knockout and lost because he tore his ACL and didnt knockout Max Holloway?

Had he not sustained that injury I am confident he would of put Max away.
    No, I was actually talking about all the money that went on him to win in the first round. He didn't, and the ACL was a factor as it was the 2nd round afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

No, I was actually talking about all the money that went on him to win in the first round. He didn't, and the ACL was a factor as it was the 2nd round afaik.

Ah I see, I didn't realise so many people bet money on him winning in the first. Thought it was just a knock out over the fight.

Yeah the ACL was in the second round as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,562 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

UFC Tonight on Fox Sports has said the Conor Dustin fight (if he beats miller) will be a title eliminator bout. Champ in 3 more fights :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Wonder how he will be after getting his first loss. Not gonna happen soon against people like miller but probably 2015. That will be the crucial point.

Well, he has lost already so I'd say he handles it pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

sheehy83 wrote: »
    UFC Tonight on Fox Sports has said the Conor Dustin fight (if he beats miller) will be a title eliminator bout. Champ in 3 more fights :pac:

Madness that, the power of the hypetrain!

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    Madness that, the power of the hypetrain!

Wow. Serious hypetrain power. Honestly I think one more fight would be needed. But hey, I'm just gonna take it one fight at a time and enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gumbi wrote: »
    Wow. Serious hypetrain power. Honestly I think one more fight would be needed. But hey, I'm just gonna take it one fight at a time and enjoy it :)

Connor?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Connor?

Lol. No. I'm speaking for myself though regarding his path to the title. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Gumbi wrote: »
    Lol. No. I'm speaking for myself though regarding his path to the title. :D

It's ok Connor I won't tell anyone it's you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Should Conor get past Cole, I think he will be very close to getting a shot at Aldo.Do he deserve it ? I say no but UFC will want to make the most of the McGregor hype train.It could derail at any minute.

Chael said something interesting yesterday about his fight with Anderson, he planned the insults on the Brazilians so they would want him to get his ass kicked by Anderson and they want to see it.So the fight happened.

Maybe Conor has same plan but not executing it as well as Chael done, I think Chale puts on a act creates a new personality to get attention and get the big fights.Conor on the other hand I think that is how he is day to day.Its hard to blame him letting the fame go to his head.I watched his interviews from years ago he came across as humble and respectful thats all gone now.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Should Conor get past Cole, I think he will be very close to getting a shot at Aldo.Do he deserve it ? I say no but UFC will want to make the most of the McGregor hype train.It could derail at any minute.

Chael said something interesting yesterday about his fight with Anderson, he planned the insults on the Brazilians so they would want him to get his ass kicked by Anderson and they want to see it.So the fight happened.

Maybe Conor has same plan but not executing it as well as Chael done, I think Chale puts on a act creates a new personality to get attention and get the big fights.Conor on the other hand I think that is how he is day to day.Its hard to blame him letting the fame go to his head.I watched his interviews from years ago he came across as humble and respectful thats all gone now.
    Chael is very meticulous with his trash talk. It's all a persona. He spoke to some of his wrestler friends and went about constructing such a persona in order to build hype for fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

McGregor vs Poirier as a title eliminator, #6 vs #13 have you ever heard such rubbish? Give the lads a top 5 fighter before throwing them to the wolves.

Conor in the new UFC game coming out in June. UFC decided the roster of 100 fighters with around 10 in each division. Conor made it in ahead of a lot of other FW fighters including Cole. Definitely a sign UFC have big plans for him.

10376328_712516938816608_1453394352571337106_n.jpg?oh=9a721afd2701b6588793a6311c838414&oe=53E6CA20&__gda__=1408042544_ee459a4e9fb66690e09840edf8843b14

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Jesus that tattoo looks awful

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Aldo would absolutely destroy him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

JJayoo wrote: »
    Aldo would absolutely destroy him.

Dont think he would. McGregor would do a Dillashaw on him in a years time. The Brazillians get awful lazy when they have a bankroll built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Who is to say Aldo will be the champ? Chad Mendes has a real chance of winning that belt. I wouldn't fancy McGregors chances against Mendes at all.

Looking as slick as ever on the mat, i can see miller getting destroyed.

Hahaha showtime kick! Would love to see him throw one of them against cole.

califano wrote: »
    Dont think he would. McGregor would do a Dillashaw on him in a years time. The Brazillians get awful lazy when they have a bankroll built up.

How can people possibly compare McGregor to Aldo, he has only had two fights against poor opposition. In the future maybe but it will be sometime before he is even considered to be in the top 5.

And I agree with Davei about Mendes having a great chance. Plus Mendes can time travel

How can people possibly compare McGregor to Aldo, he has only had two fights against poor opposition. In the future maybe but it will be sometime before he is even considered to be in the top 5.

And I agree with Davei about Mendes having a great chance. Plus Mendes can time travel

Hoping mendes does the business myself, can really see it happening this time!!

I remember in their last fight Mendes had Aldo up for a slam and Aldo reached out and grabbed the cage preventing Mendes from slamming him and getting on top, always thought that Mendes was robbed at that moment.

I remember in their last fight Mendes had Aldo up for a slam and Aldo reached out and grabbed the cage preventing Mendes from slamming him and getting on top, always thought that Mendes was robbed at that moment.
    To be perfectly fair, Mendes completed a tdd a few seconds later and Aldo got right back up.

It was such a freak knee that knocked him out after that, mendes changes levels and gets one right in the kisser for good measure.

This time around i can see Mendes getting the W. Il be hoping for the bookies to favour aldo heavily so i can make some doller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

The only way I see Conor get a title shot in the next year is if someone pulls out with an injury, like TJ the weekend. Still cant get over the fight. It really does show anything can happen. Reminded me of Weidman - Silva.

If he gets by Miller he should be looking at the likes of Poirier, Guida, Siver.

Still at least 3 wins away from a shot at Aldo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement