Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

T-K-O wrote: »
    This is simply not true. We are not all born equal. Cains cardio is freakish, same applies to Maywaether, Jon Jones, Usain Bolt and the lists goes on and on..

Now, do these guys train hard? Of course they do but all the training in the world will not transform Chris Leben into an Anderson Silva

that can be trained, big guys dont have to be slow. Im not sure how advanced/high tech mma training is but if your measuring your power output(watts) during training you can work on building a large reservoir of explosive power. you can only measure power output with ergo trainers tho, down to 1-2% accuracy. modified tabata intervals would be ideal

'god given' talent could also be intelligence, not sure about the whole 'god given knockout power', that would depend on your physical strength and technique which can be trained, some fighters will be a little sloppy to go for that knockout

Henry9 wrote: »
    It's just occurred to me, that's exactly what "God" or nature or whatever, does do.
    Miguel Indurain springs to mind, I seem to remember he had some freakish lung capacity. Similar things with Phelps or one of his ilk.

Elite athletes differ from 'normal' folk. To a varying degree for sure, but if you want to be in the Olympics for example you better win the genetic lottery.
    his heart could beat slower and pump more blood than any other cyclist, a freak of nature. he did dabble in drugs tho, like the vast majority of them

work ethic- Masahiko Kimura

there was a very interesting documentary about genetics and how they effect athletic potential/performance

they tested Tommy Bowe's family, turns out his brother had much better genetics and his were average.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

that can be trained, big guys dont have to be slow. Im not sure how advanced/high tech mma training is but if your measuring your power output(watts) during training you can work on building a large reservoir of explosive power. you can only measure power output with ergo trainers tho, down to 1-2% accuracy. modified tabata intervals would be ideal

'god given' talent could also be intelligence, not sure about the whole 'god given knockout power', that would depend on your physical strength and technique which can be trained, some fighters will be a little sloppy to go for that knockout

A lot of the UFC HW's are as fast as Cain but they cannot maintain it for 3-5 rounds. There is something a little different about the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

A lot of the UFC HW's are as fast as Cain but they cannot maintain it for 3-5 rounds. There is something a little different about the guy.

I dunno why you would assume it's automatically genetic. From various sources I've read that Cain just *works* like no other in the gym, and that that iis the reason for his cardio.

I'm sure genetics counts for something, but hard work goes a long, long way.

• Advertisement

Gumbi wrote: »
    I dunno why you would assume it's automatically genetic. From various sources I've read that Cain just *works* like no other in the gym, and that that iis the reason for his cardio.

I'm sure genetics counts for something, but hard work goes a long, long way.

That may be true. Lets not get caught up with any individual

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In fairness the length of time it takes to get your black belt probably means little.

My ex got her taekwondo black belt in 6 weeks. She's Korean, got it in Korea in their top taekwondo university. What does that mean? I have no idea but it makes me think the length of time means little.
    There's no way her belt was legit if it was after 6 weeks with no relevant experience. Got it in korea means nothing imo. Was she suddenly able to out strike other with a few years of training?.
    That said, BJJ is probably the hardest black belt to achieve, and unlike a lot of MAs, the standard is regulated by competition.

Anyone can walk into a MA shop and buy a black belt. When people refer to Nelson's achievement, they are talking above reaching blackbelt standard.

I'm not sure why we are debating hardwork vrs genetics. Neither should be in doubt, both are the hugely responsible for success.
    But that wasn't the original point, somebody suggested Aldo's success was because they had it rough growing up.

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure why we are debating hardwork vrs genetics. Neither should be in doubt, both are the hugely responsible for success.
    But that wasn't the original point, somebody suggested Aldo's success was because they had it rough growing up.

To be fair I think that guy was suggestion that Aldo's environment would produce a more combative personality.

Obviously that is a wind sweeping but taking that into account there is some truth to it.

To be fair I think that guy was suggestion that Aldo's environment would produce a more combative personality.

Obviously that is a wind sweeping but taking that into account there is some truth to it.

Violent society, more combative personality on average. Sure, I wouldn't disagree with that. But that's not what was said.

The gist of it was that Brazilians are animals because they are penny-less, sleeping it rough, etc. And Conor could never achieve that animal instinct because a) handy it Ireland, what with a house and some form of social welfare, and b) he is too focused on gold watches, money and suits.

I found it nonsense tbh.
    Brazil might be a environment were more people are forced to be tough, or to learn to defend themselves, but once somebody decides to fully commit to fighting professional, it matters little. Time and effort dedicated, natural ability, and genetics will decide overall potential.

FWIW, despite the way he talks about material gains since his UFC debut - I haven't seen anything from Connor to suggest he isn't fully immersed in studying martial arts and human movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

For some reason I reckon Aldo and Barao drive nice cars. Have you seen Andersons?

Violent society, more combative personality on average. Sure, I wouldn't disagree with that. But that's not what was said.

The gist of it was that Brazilians are animals because they are penny-less, sleeping it rough, etc. And Conor could never achieve that animal instinct because a) handy it Ireland, what with a house and some form of social welfare, and b) he is too focused on gold watches, money and suits.

I found it nonsense tbh.
    Brazil might be a environment were more people are forced to be tough, or to learn to defend themselves, but once somebody decides to fully commit to fighting professional, it matters little. Time and effort dedicated, natural ability, and genetics will decide overall potential.

FWIW, despite the way he talks about material gains since his UFC debut - I haven't seen anything from Connor to suggest he isn't fully immersed in studying martial arts and human movement.

I think its a case of the other poster selectively hearing certain things from Conors interviews. Obviously he is a student of martial arts, and human movement, because he nevers stop saying it, ever. Just because he talks about bling doesn't mean anything. The guy was on the dole for years working hard and earning pennies. Now the hard work is paying off and he's enjoying himself a bit. Fair play to him, Im happy for him.
    Hopefully he isn't drinking every night and running his body down, but sher those rumours will always be around.

Really dont understand why so many people are having a go at him cause he gave cole miller some stick! The guy has done amazing in the last year and shouldn't change a thing other then tightening up his language a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

jodaw wrote: »
    That sounds like something Conor would say. Working hard on the dole? Is there some kind of state sponsored MMA training program to be available or should be people on the dole before working hard to find work?

Maybe it doesn't in the traditional sense, but does training and then becoming a world ranked athlete not count as working hard to find work?

He might have not been tolling the job websites, but he built something for himself and is now successfully employed! Surely that counts just as well as a guy who uses his resources to become self employed and sign off the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

306242.jpg

That sounds like something Conor would say. Working hard on the dole? Is there some kind of state sponsored MMA training program to be available or should be people on the dole before working hard to find work?

Are you just playing devils advocate now? Because surely you can understand what I was talking about. Working hard as in training hard, do the hard yards so that one day he would be good enough to compete at the highest level. Not too many part time fighters that get to the top working in tesco and training a few hours a night.
    Do you think he was sitting around all day on the dole, and thats how he became the champ in the UK and has demonstrated what look like world class skills in the UFC? Hardly, its obvious the guy has lived and breathed fighting to get the level he is at now, and he's been doing it for a while.
    Everybody has their own motivations, its all relative to your situation. One motivation doesn't make someone work harder then another motivation.

When I was starting out in business my old man used to to tell me it wasn't going to work and I couldnt do it. That was enough to make me work 18 hour days 7 days a week to prove him wrong which I did. Everyone has their own motivations, but just because one guy is poorer then the other doesn't mean he is more motivated.

Just to clarify a previous post i made relating to an x-factor required to become champion. Each champion must have something to differentiate them from the others. Especially champions that can own the belt. Aldo, Jones, Silva and possibly Barao into the future.

What do these have that others dont?

Assuming they all train equally as hard and all have the same standard of world class coaching. So what is it that can make a champion repel all challenges?

In truth none of us know exactly what that is. In my view Aldo has that animal instinct built into him from the life that he has lived. This may or may not be the extra 0.0001% that makes him the champ he is.

Other posters can agree or not agree with this, but do not mis-intrepret my words.

In my view Conor does not have 'it'. Whatever it is. He has an expressive personality but with time that turned me from a fan to a hater i guess.

He just sounds silly when he talks about human movement like he is the next coming of Bruce Lee or something. Every person the trains in MMA is interested in movements :rolleyes:

In my opinion "animal instinct" is a phrase with no meaning. I would bet Aldo worked like a madman to get where he is today. Maybe he was lucky with genetics, but yiu can be sure he toiled like no other. You place too much emphasis on external factors.

For some people it might come easier than others but you can be sure that if you put your mind to it, hard work will smooth oyt and overcome those bumps.

No MMA has no support whatsoever in Ireland, IMAC see it as a threat and do not wish to help us, so aspiring MMA fighters have little to bo support on their way up apart from what they make for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

There's no way her belt was legit if it was after 6 weeks with no relevant experience. Got it in korea means nothing imo. Was she suddenly able to out strike other with a few years of training?.

It's a legit black belt. I've been to her university, it's the top place in Korea for Judo and Taekwondo. She was a professional Judo fighter which probably gave her a bit of an advantage.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Maybe it doesn't in the traditional sense, but does training and then becoming a world ranked athlete not count as working hard to find work?

He might have not been tolling the job websites, but he built something for himself and is now successfully employed! Surely that counts just as well as a guy who uses his resources to become self employed and sign off the dole?
    thats a great point,

he did seem to take the dole for granted tho, thats taxpayers money he got for free while living in his parents nice house. why did he have to be negative about it once he got his first paycheck, Id be thanking the dole/welfare system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

It's a legit black belt. I've been to her university, it's the top place in Korea for Judo and Taekwondo. She was a professional Judo fighter which probably gave her a bit of an advantage.

Don't want to drag this thread off topic, but they are completely different sports and disciplines with little transferable technical knowledge.

You clearly do not know much about martial arts if you believe a black belt is a black belt and do not understand the distinctions between achieving a black belt rank in different disciplines.

Doesn't matter what "university" the black belt came from, awarding it to someone after 6 weeks of training ultimately shows how much of a joke it was, no matter their ranking in a different martial art. I have a strong feeling it was bought by paying for the course or ceremoniously awarded which is very different than achieving it through improving ones skill , and knowledge of the art that can only come with 1000s of hours of dedication. Which is impossible in 6 weeks unless she has a time machine, then I stand corrected and take back everything I have just said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I have a strong feeling it was bought by paying for the course or ceremoniously awarded which is very different than achieving it through improving ones skill

I will try to explain again.

She went to Korea's top sports university. The one which trains many of it's Olympic athletes.

She was a professional Judo fighter doing a degree in Judo.

As part of her course she got a real black belt in Taekwondo, from the top Taekwondo place in Korea, maybe the world.

It's not some sort of fake black belt.

And your insult that I clearly know nothing about marital arts, I'm pretty sure I've been doing martial arts longer than most people posting here. I was friends with one of the guys who trained John Kavanagh. I even studied wushu in China's top sports university. So please stop with your insults and assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

So, that Conor fella ha? Great pic!

10157216_702064826528486_3514651507102943245_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

work ethic- Masahiko Kimura

there was a very interesting documentary about genetics and how they effect athletic potential/performance

they tested Tommy Bowe's family, turns out his brother had much better genetics and his were average.

The science behind predicting sports performance is only in it's infancy. The tests they did on the Bowe family only tested for markers that they know to be related to performance, but are not definitive.

We're a long way off being able to test kids at birth for their potential to make it as a pro athlete.

Where/when did he "slag off the dole office"? And don't quote his post Brimage win joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

As part of her course she got a real black belt in Taekwondo, from the top Taekwondo place in Korea, maybe the world.

It's not some sort of fake black belt.

I clearly misunderstood it was Korea TOP place. Most other places a TKWD black belt takes in and around 3-4 years. But as this is the TOP place it only takes 6 weeks, as she studied it as a part of a Judo program in the TOP university.

About right?

Why would you mention a black belt someone has gotten on 6 weeks in the same category as a black belt in BJJ which takes on average 10-15 years? They are incomparable.

The science behind predicting sports performance is only in it's infancy. The tests they did on the Bowe family only tested for markers that they know to be related to performance, but are not definitive.

We're a long way off being able to test kids at birth for their potential to make it as a pro athlete.

sports performance is slightly different to athletic performance tho. like I mentioned a few posts back, intelligence can also be a big advantage in sport.
    the ability to process visual information and counter attack instantaneously with a specific move is a combination of intelligence and the result of repetition during training

I think its a case of the other poster selectively hearing certain things from Conors interviews. Obviously he is a student of martial arts, and human movement, because he nevers stop saying it, ever. Just because he talks about bling doesn't mean anything. The guy was on the dole for years working hard and earning pennies. Now the hard work is paying off and he's enjoying himself a bit. Fair play to him, Im happy for him.
    Hopefully he isn't drinking every night and running his body down, but sher those rumours will always be around.

Really dont understand why so many people are having a go at him cause he gave cole miller some stick! The guy has done amazing in the last year and shouldn't change a thing other then tightening up his language a bit

Exactly, I just hope Conor is more Floyd than Broner :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

sheehy83 wrote: »
    So, that Conor fella ha? Great pic!

10157216_702064826528486_3514651507102943245_n.jpg

Chuck's saying who the **** is this guy?

She was a professional Judo fighter which probably gave her a bit of an advantage.
    Yeah, makes a big difference imo. Her starting point is nothing like a regular person. My thats why I said "with no other experience".
    Why would you mention a black belt someone has gotten on 6 weeks in the same category as a black belt in BJJ which takes on average 10-15 years? They are incomparable.
    Nobody compared the two as being equal????

Conor and Kenny Egan got into twitter arguement recently becuase Kenny tweeted pic bout MMA being gay and Conor took it personally.Kenny said he sorry he was only messing with.Conor told him **** off.

Theres a twitter conor hater page, that Conor reported and got shut down :D

Ya man tweeted to Conor "You're the worst thing to happen to Ireland since the famine"

:D

If Conor is going to throw insults around he should be able to take them and no go reporting people and telling them **** off when they messing with.

• Advertisement

Conor and Kenny Egan got into twitter argument because Kenny tweeted pic bout MMA being gay and Conor took it personally.Kenny said he sorry he was only messing with.Conor told him shut up and outta my tweets.

http://balls.ie/boxing/kenny-egan-and-conor-mcgregor-twitter-argument/

Theres a twitter conor hater page, that Conor reported and got shut down :D

Ya man tweeted to Conor "You're the worst thing to happen to Ireland since the famine"

:D

If Conor is going to throw insults around he should be able to take them and not go reporting people and telling them **** off when they messing with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement