Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

On the late late tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Toned down a lot from before tonight.
    Some serious butthurt going on in the late late thread though. Monocles being dropped into red wine everywhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I do not get the hate for this chap. Down to earth , charismatic and a very exciting fighting style. Yeah he talks himself up but that is part of the fight game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Some serious butthurt going on in the late late thread though. Monocles being dropped into red wine everywhere :pac:

"This savagery should be banned!" Yet if it was a cabbage-eared rugger bugger they'd all be creaming themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

will his fight sell out?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ray Mond

Can u put a link to it up please

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

zweton wrote: »
    will his fight sell out?

Yes, without doubt. How quickly though is up for debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

i think il go:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Jeez no love for Conor in the late late thread, amazingly I thought he came across very well tonight:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Also, did tubs introduce him as UFC champ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Very good interview, i have noticed in his three apearances on the late late he kept looking to his left , off screen, wonder is he been coached on what to say and that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

He didn't come across well at all IMO. When he's interviewed he comes across as trying to be something he's not. IMO he doesn't have the vocabulary or articulation to pull off this persona he's trying to get across. There's also a thin line between cockiness and confidence and he's crossed it

I reckon if conor had a d4 accent and played rugby as a schoolboy he wouldn't get half the stick hes getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I reckon if conor had a d4 accent and played rugby as a schoolboy he wouldn't get half the stick hes getting
    nah its not that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

evil_seed wrote: »
    He didn't come across well at all IMO. When he's interviewed he comes across as trying to be something he's not. IMO he doesn't have the vocabulary or articulation to pull off this persona he's trying to get across. There's also a thin line between cockiness and confidence and he's crossed it

TBF I think that was very toned down version of Conor :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

If he was exactly the same in every way but was an English fighter I guarantee everyone would despise him for his attitude and the sh1te he comes out with. I wonder would he be so cocky/disrespectful if he does go on to get a shot at Aldo :pac: A previous ACL tear and Aldo's kicking ability isn't a pleasant combination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

evil_seed wrote: »

I agree was a bit cringe to be honest. It doesn't matter what accent he is speaking in whats coming out translates the same....scutter. He does seem to be trying to create himself as something hes not which like you say hes not capable of.

Big comparison since his first Late Late show appearance, hes done brilliant for Irish MMA and to bring the UFC back to Ireland. Funny seeing a lot of posts something along the lines of "people will tune in because they love him or hate him" I wouldn't agree basically I see Conor as a comedian whose jokes I don't find funny, I don't have to laugh at his jokes because hes the same nationality as me but can appreciate he has an audience to tell the jokes to and make them laugh so best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Not at all. I think its quotes like "I will annihilate Aldo" and the inevitability of what's to come i f he ever gets his injury prone knee into the octagon with Aldo who would be pretty fond of breaking other peoples legs with his own.

I dont think hed even beat Clay Guida never mind Mendes or Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I see what you're saying, but the difference is I probably don't take him as seriously you are doing. He is making a name for himself and that involves hyperbole in every aspect and a whole lotta **** talking.

All I care about is his performances. And I get a kick out of some of the things he says the odd time. I don't know him personally and so I don't judge him so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

People definitely take him far too seriously,i think it started out as an act but he realized the attention he was getting so continued.
    His style is exciting whats not to love,being irish just makes it better but i would love watching any fighter with his style no matter what comes out of their mouth.

You can get all worked up saying he is disrespecting this guy and that guy,but in reality he is building future fights,even if he loses now he has made so many different rows out of the ring that people will pay to see a number of fights with different guys,clay guida,diego sanchez,cub swanson,etc.

People can complain as much as they want but they aren't in their getting punched for entertaining others,so i say fair play to him for maximizing his earning potential,and hope he gets well paid for headlining the irish card.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,188 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gumbi wrote: »
    I see what you're saying, but the difference is I probably don't take him as seriously you are doing. He is making a name for himself and that involves hyperbole in every aspect and a whole lotta **** talking.

All I care about is his performances. And I get a kick out of some of the things he says the odd time. I don't know him personally and so I don't judge him so.
    This sums up my feelings aswell. I don't take it seriously, any of it. Why would you?
    All I care about is his performance.

Whatever about fans believing this or that. I'm surprised so many fighters are getting sucked it. One thing I keep remembering is how wound up Brimage got before their fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I've never needed trash talk to sell a fight to me and I generally don't watch/follow it, I understand the game but don't like it.

Just happened to be watching on Friday and agree with many here in how the guy comes across, I was curious, Ireland is a small place so I'm sure a few here know Connor or have had training etc. with him, has he nobody around him to reign him in or tell him what he's coming across as :confused:

Going by "Tubbs" statement he was the most googled sports person in 2013 what he is doing is working out well for him.

Love him or hate him a lot of people worldwide will be tuning in to see the outcome of the fight

All the best to him seery and parke

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

At one stage i thought he would be the next Chael or another Chael where you knew he was gonna lose but the entertainment factor was enough but now hes kind of turned into a really ****ty version of Bisping. People are queuing up to knock him out and UFC can only protect him for so long.

However Dana being the scumbag that he is will probably have him dodging hard fights for the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

calex71 wrote: »
    I've never needed trash talk to sell a fight to me and I generally don't watch/follow it, I understand the game but don't like it.

Just happened to be watching on Friday and agree with many here in how the guy comes across, I was curious, Ireland is a small place so I'm sure a few here know Connor or have had training etc. with him, has he nobody around him to reign him in or tell him what he's coming across as :confused:

Why should he be reigned in,what hes doing is working i also don't get people comparing him to chael,i don't think it's any attempt to copy chael.

If u listen to his first i think it is interview with ariel helwani,he does say he doesn't take it seriously,and he treats it like wwe.

In fact all the people he is calling out and talking about are playing the game too,and after they fight there will be no issue,because he is bringing a buzz to the division,he is putting money in all these fighters pockets,twitter spats and the likes its all money in their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At one stage i thought he would be the next Chael or another Chael where you knew he was gonna lose but the entertainment factor was enough but now hes kind of turned into a really ****ty version of Bisping. People are queuing up to knock him out and UFC can only protect him for so long.

However Dana being the scumbag that he is will probably have him dodging hard fights for the next couple of years.

His first three fights in the UFC will be Marcus Brimage, Max Holloway and Cole Miller. They are all very decent fighters. That hasn't been an easy introduction to the UFC by any means.

The worst of those three was probably Brimage and he was 3-0 in the UFC before the McGregor fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

califano wrote: »

Haven't seen the whole interview yet but that was great. Apart from the swearing (which I don't mind personally but I'm sure the aul wans at RTE would be shocked at) I thought he came across really well and likable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Thought he came across quite well in that interview.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement