Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Conor McGregor Thread (READ MOD WARNING IN OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I still want to see him fight jeremy stephens, he's a great test for Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭OrgasmicBaz

Ye Stephens would be a dangerous opponent, esp if he lands a clean shot. Could be lights out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fe5ar

Don't get me wrong, I want to see McGregor win against Cole and succeed in the UFC, it would be great for the sport in Ireland, if Mcgregor could go on and win a world title... But that's a big if.

And to be honest after hearing the way Mcgregor has been going on lately, I'm worried to say the least. I always liked his confidence, that's great. BUT there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance... The way he spoke to Cole Miller in an interview was a joke... seriously it was a bit embarrassing, calling him his bitch, it wasn't even what he said, it was the way he was saying it...

Let's not forget Mcgregor got submitted by Joe Duffy and some other guy... Be honest here, Cole Miller has a real chance in this fight... Mcgregor clearly doesn't respect this guy, Who knows he might beat Cole Miller easy.. but not respecting your opponents is a recipe for disaster. Mcgregor has had two fights in the UFC, he is acting like he has conquered the division.

I'm Irish I want to see him win but I'm afraid that Mcgregor might not be as good as he thinks he is. Quality stand up fighter but not everyone in the UFC wants to stand and trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Fe5ar wrote: »
    The way he spoke to Cole Miller in an interview was a joke... seriously it was a bit embarrassing, calling him his bitch, it wasn't even what he said, it was the way he was saying it...

Yeah, he went from charming to nasty. I'd previously read he was known as a bully when he was younger. After hearing the interview I believe it.

Don't really like the guy anymore... but I wish him the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah, he went from charming to nasty. I'd previously read he was known as a bully when he was younger. After hearing the interview I believe it.

Don't really like the guy anymore... but I wish him the best.

I thought he was the one who had been bullied?

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    I thought he was the one who had been bullied?

I read he was the bully...

Maybe I misread, but his carry on does make it likely he was the bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I read he was the bully...

Maybe I misread, but his carry on does make it likely he was the bully.

I've only heard that he was bullied

Maybe he's acting like this because now he's the one with the power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

"I heard blah blah blah"

"Well i heard blah blah and he was in a pub"

"I heard he did such and such when he was 15"

This thread is getting ridiculous and people are making comments about Conor backed up by hearsay.

He is nothing but a cool guy in real life. People have to realise this is show business and there is a show and a persona for the game and one for real life. He is just like every other guy in the gym and is always willing to train and help out anyone.

He is training hard and has a great ability to get into his opponents heads.

"I heard blah blah blah"

"Well i heard blah blah and he was in a pub"

"I heard he did such and such when he was 15"

This thread is getting ridiculous and people are making comments about Conor backed up by hearsay.

He is nothing but a cool guy in real life. People have to realise this is show business and there is a show and a persona for the game and one for real life. He is just like every other guy in the gym and is always willing to train and help out anyone.

He is training hard and has a great ability to get into his opponents heads.

You do realise your statement is also hearsay? :)

For it not to be hearsay, Conor would have to come here and himself state it's just show business. Instead, we have to rely on your word about another person's intentions.

So... that's equally as ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

This thread never fails to entertain. I always knew that Irish people love to begrudge and denigrate but this is unreal. Some of the people crawling from the depths to pop up with their learned opinion - bully, crap grappler, drunk, fake support for suicide prevention, all around dick....from people who know next to nothing about him. I guess that's the bad side of this game. Luckily, the promotional game is just that, a game. Something you excel or flounder at. Whatever your issue with how two prize fighters are hyping their big upcoming fight, calling him a bully for it is just ridiculous! Have you never watched fight sports before?!

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    This thread never fails to entertain. I always knew that Irish people love to begrudge and denigrate but this is unreal. Some of the people crawling from the depths to pop up with their learned opinion - bully, crap grappler, drunk, fake support for suicide prevention, all around dick....from people who know next to nothing about him. I guess that's the bad side of this game. Luckily, the promotional game is just that, a game. Something you excel or flounder at. Whatever your issue with how two prize fighters are hyping their big upcoming fight, calling him a bully for it is just ridiculous! Have you never watched fight sports before?!

I think most people agree he came across badly in that interview. It wasn't entertaining... it was just... bad.

I agree Ireland has a massive begrudgery problem. I like to think I'm not like that though. It's one of the reasons I left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

What's your opinion of his call with Miller?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

While Ireland DOES have a begrudgery problem, and some of the points being made here are a little silly, it doesn't take away from the fact that there are some valid reasons to criticise Conor McGregor.

I mean, if this is a persona, it's a persona based on rubbing people up the wrong way, being disrespectful to other professionals and being loud. It has worked for him as far as getting him into the spotlight and into fights, but you can't then blame people for not liking it when they say so!

You also can't blame people who "don't know him". If he's a completely different dude in the flesh, fine! But he is creating this character (if it is a character) and putting it out there.

If I walk around telling people my name is Mary, I can't get mad at people for thinking my name is Mary and either should anyone else!

I think its fair enough people have their own opinions on Conor's self promotion.

However its something else to basically make stuff up or state something your mate said as likely fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

In fairness, the sport just got popular over here.

Like a fella said to me recently: never attribute to malice what can be easily explained by stupidity.

People are learning the sport and forming opinions. While the newer fans are learning more about the game there's going to be uninformed and self-proclaimed "expertise" everywhere. All the new fans want to be experts asap and it does take time to get a grasp of all the dynamics of the sport.

To the new fan, it all looks simple and violent, and the learning curve doesn't have a visible end. It's not like other sports like that. At first you think "Aha, I see what's happening" but you miss the important movements completely. I didn't really see them myself until years of observing; and unfortunately I don't train myself.

I think everyone will agree that it is a very easy sport to misunderstand.

I think as well that one mistake Irish people make way too much is thinking that Irish = not quite as stupid as everyone else. Which is stupid ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Have to agree with this...simply calling it begrudery is completely wrong far as I can see. In fact the only reason people are backing up his persona are because he's irish. Dont think Steve Collins or barry mcguigan ever lost the irish support. Irish people love irish fighters!

He's created a character that is not likable or charming, I have no idea if thats what he's really like but the character he's created is an a$$hole. But that being said...read this the other day...hard to argue against...

Link
    The dearth of stars has created an opening that Conor McGregor has been all too happy to jump through. Already, just two fights into his UFC career, the Irishman has cemented himself as one of the most compelling figures to watch under-170 pounds, at least in terms of sheer interest (and traffic) generated any time he opens his mouth.

Now, despite his relative youth, McGregor is spearheading a venture into his native Ireland for his third UFC appearance, and already has a slew of top-5 contenders mentioning his name to the media. Or as Cruz puts it, he's aware of the game, and he's playing it incredibly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭test2014

Id say to be champ he will be taking on Mendez. Aldo will move up and probably beat Pettis if he beats Mendez. If he loses to Mendez its still the same situation.

Just cant see him beating Mendez. Just not gonna happen. Styles make fights and Aldo would be a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

test2014 wrote: »
    Id say to be champ he will be taking on Mendez. Aldo will move up and probably beat Pettis if he beats Mendez. If he loses to Mendez its still the same situation.

Just cant see him beating Mendez. Just not gonna happen. Styles make fights and Aldo would be a better chance.

I don't see anyone outside Aldo having a hope vs Mendes, the guy is just scary and so improved every fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fe5ar

As I said, I want McGregor to win... Persona or not, to be honest I couldn't care less what what he does in his spare time.
    But he was a disgrace in the interview with Cole Miller, people said he was out of mind drunk in that interview and I wouldn't be surprised, he sounded like a guy starting a fight outside a pub on a Friday night...

There is one thing some people can't get away from.... Their own ego.
    Personally I don't think it's a persona, I think the man is biting off more than he can chew, this isn't begrudgery on my part, I'm only going on what I see and hear... There's a group of world class fighters lining up to stop the hypetrain... Let the skills do the talking, Actions speak louder than words... Talk only adds pressure to deliver, If McGregor believes in his own ability why not keep it to himself and show people or at least be humble in portraying his belief.

What goes up must come down, that's not begrudgery, that's a fact.

• Advertisement

He is getting the fights he wants. Not many people in the UFC can say that.

Look at the attention he gets to say that of Norman Parke, who is now unbeaten in 4 fights in the UFC.

His brashness is getting him media attention, fights and sponsorships. Brashness gets fighters paid , everyone wants to watch what will happen one way or another. Its really not that bad if you compare it to some of the stuff that's come out of professional boxing over the years, we just haven't really seen it in MMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,166 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

That's all true. But if you want to the good of what comes with such a strategy, you need to take the bad too!

At the end of the day, everyone loses in MMA. And when he loses, he's going to have egg on his face and will eventually need to be humble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

He is getting the fights he wants. Not many people in the UFC can say that.

Look at the attention he gets to say that of Norman Parke, who is now unbeaten in 4 fights in the UFC.

His brashness is getting him media attention, fights and sponsorships. Brashness gets fighters paid , everyone wants to watch what will happen one way or another. Its really not that bad if you compare it to some of the stuff that's come out of professional boxing over the years, we just haven't really seen it in MMA.

Don't remember him asking for any of the fights he's had so far, he's looking past Cole thinks he's nothing a easy win.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

There seems to be an abundance of nuthuggers on this thread to the extent that nothing can be said against Conor. As the guy said a few posts back there was a guy earlier in thread that said he went to school with Conor and he was a complete bully. Needless to say he was ran of this thread.

The last interview would confirm that statement in my mind. Media persona or not he was trying to shout down and bully Cole. It was embarassing and unprofessional.

All opinions on this thread are just that, opinions. Unless someone comes on here and says that they know Conor personally.

Either ways lets let his performances do the talking. One thing that does irk me is the amount of media coverage talking about a nation behind Conor.

There is not... That is all

Don't remember him asking for any of the fights he's had so far, he's looking past Cole thinks he's nothing a easy win.

He wanted a "warm up fight" - Gets Cole Miller
    He wanted a top 10 fight - Gets Dustin if he gets past Cole
    He wants a title shot - Told he will get a title shot if he gets past Dustin.

I don't know many fighters who have been given as clear a shot to a title fight. Doesn't really matter if some people think he doesn't "deserve" it. The UFC thinks he does and that's what they want.

jodaw wrote: »
    There seems to be an abundance of nuthuggers on this thread to the extent that nothing can be said against Conor. As the guy said a few posts back there was a guy earlier in thread that said he went to school with Conor and he was a complete bully. Needless to say he was ran of this thread.

The last interview would confirm that statement in my mind. Media persona or not he was trying to shout down and bully Cole. It was embarassing and unprofessional.

All opinions on this thread are just that, opinions. Unless someone comes on here and says that they know Conor personally.

Either ways lets let his performances do the talking. One thing that does irk me is the amount of media coverage talking about a nation behind Conor.

There is not... That is all

My stomach kind of turned a bit when he said he will "Annihilate Aldo".

As Aldo said before "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face".

More like several sledgehammer strength kicks to the bad knees and a year out to think about the fact that hes been talking out of his ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Go on the Connor!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

More like several sledgehammer strength kicks to the bad knees and a year out to think about the fact that hes been talking out of his ass.

In many ways you are doing Aldo a dis-service by dicussing a possible fight between them:D

The guy may not even get close to a match with Aldo or whoever the Champ. I mean i think Poirier could possible despatch him comfortably in the same way he did Brandao. Hell Cole might even beat him.

Conor V Brandao would be a close and exciting match but i think Poirier take out Mcgregor fairly handy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Mike Tyson said that. If Aldo said it he was quoting Tyson.

• Advertisement

Either way if you look through Aldos last few fights its more like "Everyone has a plan till they get hit with a sledgehammer to the leg."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement