Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Broadband Speeds in Tramore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

Sully wrote: »
    Afaik, eircom handed out a lot of redundancies of in house staff and gave the contract to KN Networks but eircom were planning on giving this to a new firm and not renewing KNs contract. Was told based in the North? But KN are still on the ground as they did a line install in Tramore yesterday.
    thats prob the delay so?? i doubt it that they hate tramore or something as there making an investment in putting fibre in, it will defo be worth the wait from a tramore man living in town

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

thats prob the delay so?? i doubt it that they hate tramore or something as there making an investment in putting fibre in, it will defo be worth the wait from a tramore man living in town

This is normal enough, doesn't surprise me it's been delayed!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

Spoke with a local engineer today and he said end of May is what they're hearing now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sorry if this is a daft question, but I am with eircom, when the fibre becomes available do I have to sign on for a new account with them or will there be an automatic improvement? Their efibre website seems to suggest you need a new account, but the upgrade is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a daft question, but I am with eircom, when the fibre becomes available do I have to sign on for a new account with them or will there be an automatic improvement? Their efibre website seems to suggest you need a new account, but the upgrade is free.

The upgrade is free as far as I know but you start a new contract with them when your get upgraded. Same account as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭gary_walsh17

looksee wrote: »

No. Full Stop. You do not have to sign for a new account, but you do need to sign to a new contract as you would be signing to a new package (if you are not on one of the current up to 100Mb/s packages). I am a Vodafone customer, Vodafone for the last few month have only offered their fibre deals to customers (a non fibre customer gets up to 24Mb/s on their line/package).

When fibre becomes available I am entitled to the full 100Mb/s speed as part of my deal, HOWEVER, I do not have a new SuperHub modem which is required and with all fibre services, an Engineer visit is required (approx 1 hour max) to install a new socket and the new SuperHub modem (Charge is €30 euro).

I will be notified when fibre is available and when it is I have to contact Vodafone to get my install and the activation of the service.

I signed up for 12 month contract back in January so I just have to pay the €30 modem fee (install is free). So I am already 4 months down on the contract. An 18 or 24 month contract will get you the same but the modem for cheaper or free.

I hope this helps looksee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,226 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks gary, yes I meant a new contract, not a new account! Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

with efibre i signed up to 18 month contract and first six months are €30 and after six months its €45

I noticed they have moved the Cabinet in Somerville, why I haven't a clue as the old copper cabinet is up against the wall and they have now moved the eFibre cabinet away from the wall and out in the middle of the grass.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

How are people who had their BB speeds improve finding it? I've been away all weekend but a lot of people on Facebook saying it's been very slow, and it's very slow this evening for me too. I've done a few tests recently, randomly, and the speeds have been brutal.

• Advertisement

How are people who had their BB speeds improve finding it? I've been away all weekend but a lot of people on Facebook saying it's been very slow, and it's very slow this evening for me too. I've done a few tests recently, randomly, and the speeds have been brutal.

Yeah, speeds are varying and for the last couple of nights from 1am till 3am no broadband and its not just me, friends around tramore have been reporting the same.

Yeah, speeds are varying and for the last couple of nights from 1am till 3am no broadband and its not just me, friends around tramore have been reporting the same.

I wish I could schedule a speed test here ha! I've done a few this evening and the max I got was 6 which is half whst I usually get. It's no longer consistent snd I've been watching this a while.

Will flag it again with the chap in UTV that's been chasing eircom who claim it was addressed (it was).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 iScopedThePope

Thought I'd just jump on the bandwagon here and say I've had no internet connection at all since Friday (Came on for a couple of hours Saturday but went off that evening, still not back on). Just wondering if anyone else in the Tramore area is experiencing this from eircom, not sure if its been the bad weather Friday/Sat night or because of eFibre works or what but its disgraceful given the speed issues we've had to put up with over the last few months (In my experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

Thought I'd just jump on the bandwagon here and say I've had no internet connection at all since Friday (Came on for a couple of hours Saturday but went off that evening, still not back on). Just wondering if anyone else in the Tramore area is experiencing this from eircom, not sure if its been the bad weather Friday/Sat night or because of eFibre works or what but its disgraceful given the speed issues we've had to put up with over the last few months (In my experience)

eircom went off twice last week late at night but came back on within a hour or two each night try turning your wifi off and on that might work

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

The exact same thing happened with me, while annoying I wasn't too bothered as its not a time I'm usually online, lets just hope it doesn't start happening during the day

also as of this morning my line is showing on eircom as enabled for efibre like other have said here, called them but they said as far as they are aware its not ready until mid may, they said signs are good that it won't be delayed again. (kinda sounds like he might of been trying to fob me off)
    completely forgot to ask about the 1am-3am issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭JMcL

I wish I could schedule a speed test here ha! I've done a few this evening and the max I got was 6 which is half whst I usually get. It's no longer consistent snd I've been watching this a while.

Sully, if you've got a Linux box around, check out speedtest-cli. Wrap it in a cron job, pipe the output to a log file and echo the time as well so you know when it ran

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

3474102988.png

yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

The Eircom coverage map now show Tramore as being available for efibre so they might of moved it up from mid may to now =), it would seem Ferrybank in waterford has been delayed until june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

The Eircom coverage map now show Tramore as being available for efibre so they might of moved it up from mid may to now =), it would seem Ferrybank in waterford has been delayed until june

Go to http://eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ and click on "NGA FIBRE BROADBAND NETWORK"

Then when you zoom in on Tramore you can see the Cabinets. Each one now has a go live date (Fairly sure that none of them had a go live date yesterday)

The earliest that I can see is the 14th (crossing fingers)

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    Go to http://eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/ and click on "NGA FIBRE BROADBAND NETWORK"

Then when you zoom in on Tramore you can see the Cabinets. Each one now has a go live date (Fairly sure that none of them had a go live date yesterday)

The earliest that I can see is the 14th (crossing fingers)

Absolutely shocked that cabinets that were installed after the cabinet in my estate are going live on the 14th and yet mine still has no date.

From what I can see theres no date on my cabinet still so it means its going to be after May before eFibre comes to my estate.

Getting sick of this now, I don't understand how the latest cabinets to be installed have dates and the ones that were installed months ago still have none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

I think that after all of this waiting.. I am going to wait until mid summer when my vodafone contract is up so I can sign up to eircom evision.

Won't be happy waiting, but I could save a good bit in comparison to sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭SteJay

When I log into myeircom I can order the fibre up to 40mbps for free but its an 18 month contract and it says the first available date for installation is may 25th afaik

I'm living along the ring .18 month contract is a bit harsh. I wonder will Magnet pigyback on eircoms fibre network-they offer no contract deals on BB

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

Spotted the shockingly slow speeds the other night and got onto tech straight away(not giving them a minute's piece right at the start) and had an engineer sent out this morning. Speeds were ok this afternoon but once again congestion is the issue. He as per usual found no issues other than congestion.

The fibre according to him is good to go,they are just waiting on the esb to connect them up to be powered. Either way this whole issue has gone on for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

DaveC85 wrote: »
    Spotted the shockingly slow speeds the other night and got onto tech straight away(not giving them a minute's piece right at the start) and had an engineer sent out this morning. Speeds were ok this afternoon but once again congestion is the issue. He as per usual found no issues other than congestion.

The fibre according to him is good to go,they are just waiting on the esb to connect them up to be powered. Either way this whole issue has gone on for far too long.

I agree. This has gone on far too long. My speed should be 5 meg download. I sometimes get 4.5 if I am lucky. But the last few days my download speed had gone down to .5 megs. Shockingly bad. Considering I use the broadband to stream netflix etc it means I have no entertainment for myself in the house. And the kids are driving me crazy cause they can't go out of the house. It hasn't stopped raining in days here. I won't be paying my next monthly bill to vodafone. It's unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

DaveC85 wrote: »

I agree. This has gone on far too long. My speed should be 5 meg download. I sometimes get 4.5 if I am lucky. But the last few days my download speed had gone down to .5 megs. Shockingly bad. Considering I use the broadband to stream netflix etc it means I have no entertainment for myself in the house. And the kids are driving me crazy cause they can't go out of the house. It hasn't stopped raining in days here. I won't be paying my next monthly bill to vodafone. It's unusable.

Shazer01 wrote: »

Could always go to the expense of renting dvd's from the new xtra-vision section in centra to pacify the kids but that's more expense for you that we all know vodafone won't re imburse you. When it rains my garden is a bog after so I get the cabin fever with the kids. Another consequence of poor speeds.

In the past 6 months,prior to thursday night I think we've only had maybe 3 weeks of a constant speed after 6pm.Since November I've not been able to play online games,stream matches, stream tv, use multiple devices past 6pm(thankfully no fights broke out) and downloading severly restricted. This is not what we paid for nor signed up for.

I've been onto tech twice with a new router on the way to magically solve the problem. If by the arrival of that router,the speeds don't improve( and I doubt they will) I'll be onto customer service to inform them of another month they won't be paid for. I'd encourage everyone to do the same.

We're paying for in the majority of case's for 8meg broadband,feck this "up to" argument. It states no where in the t&c's that our service will be reduced due to increased numbers or faulty equipment so don't take their bs excuse's and stick it to them. 6 months guy's at €45 p/m for a scabby service that realistically no one has enjoyed. Screw that. It's hard enough to come by as it is and even harder to hand over when your not getting your money's worth

If more people stopped moaning and went to comreg we might see a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

according to http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/
    it is now available dont know how exact it is

If more people stopped moaning and went to comreg we might see a change!

Went to them twice already but I agree,if it's not more than one or two people it'll just be over looked in the hopes that fibre covers it up.

• Advertisement

tramoreman wrote: »
    according to http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/
    it is now available dont know how exact it is

There not accepting orders until May 14th.

Also to the previous poster about the ESB not be linked up, a local engineer told me he has his house on the fibre network in Tramore. Maybe it's just you cabinet, but I would have suspected that was wired up ages ago.

UTV didn't reply to my request to re-open to the case, so I am going to ask Comreg to re-open the case. The speeds tonight are brutal.

Advertisement