Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reduced Broadband Speeds in Tramore

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,259 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just been upgraded, not quite the 50 mgs promised but a heck of a lot better than 5 or 6!
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/3525999603.png

3525999603.png

sorry that is what i was trying to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

looksee wrote: »
    3525999603.png

sorry that is what i was trying to do!

Not bad! Anythings better than 5 or 6 megs haha. Any idea on how far away you are from the cabinet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

If anyone gets eVision can you please post your review of it and if it makes a noticeable difference on your broadband speed ?

If it is good, I will probably cancel Sky in the Summer when my contract runs out. Unfortunately I must also wait until mid Summer until my Vodafone contract finishes as well.

Thanks

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    If anyone gets eVision can you please post your review of it and if it makes a noticeable difference on your broadband speed ?

If it is good, I will probably cancel Sky in the Summer when my contract runs out. Unfortunately I must also wait until mid Summer until my Vodafone contract finishes as well.

Thanks

My grandparents got eVision and two boxes on at the same time with no HD only took 15 megs off his download speed.

• Advertisement

Not bad! Anythings better than 5 or 6 megs haha. Any idea on how far away you are from the cabinet?

Not sure, there are two cabinets and I am not sure which one I am on, it would be about a 5 minute (max) walk to either of them.

I got tv too so i will check later

3525999603.png
    Not sure, there are two cabinets and I am not sure which one I am on, it would be about a 5 minute (max) walk to either of them.

I got tv too so i will check later

I was wondering why you only had 20mb. Glad that it is because you had eVision. From what I have read, eVision takes about 10mb from your speed which would be ok if I had a minimum speed of 30mb, but not 20mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

I see on the Tramore Tourism Facebook Page that UPC are running an event at Tramore Racecourse, could this mean that they are finally going to offer broadband services in Tramore?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Shazer01

Thanks
    Why don't you get an Android mx tv box. Get them on eBay for less than €100. Free tv for life then. Watch any tv series or movie. I've got one and its class.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

qork wrote: »
    I see on the Tramore Tourism Facebook Page that UPC are running an event at Tramore Racecourse, could this mean that they are finally going to offer broadband services in Tramore?

Very interesting! I'm with Eircom but out of contract now, tempted to go for efibre but hate the idea of committing to another 18-months with those clowns.

• Advertisement

robocode wrote: »
    Very interesting! I'm with Eircom but out of contract now, tempted to go for efibre but hate the idea of committing to another 18-months with those clowns.

Highly unlikely. They would have to put in fibre into every house in Tramore. Right to the front door. Very expensive. Highly unlikely.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

qork wrote: »

They don't generally go into areas like Tramore tbh. They ruled it out when I asked them too.

3527871795.png

Ok, the speed I posted yesterday was with the tv on but not in service. This is the speed with the tv actually working.

Setting up the tv was a bit foostery. First it was installed around 2.30pm but did not come live till 10.30pm. Then it would not accept one of the instructions I had to ok. Today rang service again (they have now added a bit about tv to their phone options, thank goodness). After a bit of faffing about, some (but not all) of which was me being dim, it is now working, I have to go through and set all the channels, though it is simple now I know what I am doing. In fairness the guys on help desk were very courteous and patient and knew what they were doing, and I did not have to listen to any music.

edit - i do not have to find the channels, i was misunderstanding how to use the system. Seems to be straightforward.

3527908133.png

Switched off box and tv and this is the result. It does not seem to make any difference whether the tv is on or not?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

3527908133.png

Switched off box and tv and this is the result. It does not seem to make any difference whether the tv is on or not?

Your profile has taken into account TV. The speed you are reporting is the max you will get (give or take) whether you have the box on or off.

3527908133.png

AFAIK once you have eVision, about 10mb of the Broadband speed is reserved for the eVision. So you really have over 30mb speed coming into your house, but 10mb will never be available to your devices because this is being used by the set top box.

*I am cringing reading this back because I know my terminology is off :rolleyes:

Edit: This is the post that I was looking for:
    evision - my story 6 months in
    hi

I was one of the early adopters of evision back last September so I have 6 months experience with it. Even though I live in dublin because I was 3.5K from the exchange I was getting 2.5Mbps broadband speed which was pretty awful with teenagers and would be heavy users of streaming in the family

As soon as efibre arrived in my area I ordered the Unlimited up to 70M BB and a week later the basic evision package (free for 6 months) and a second room box €5 per month from the start

eircom will put your line on a stable profile when you have efibre and you order evision. so even though my line could take up to 70M they put me on the 50/20 profile and a some stage I went down to 43/15.

In reality it made very little difference to me. I struggle to get over 35M on wifi and the 38/39 or so Meg thats left with 2 SD streams live (I measured it and they take about 2.5M each). I understand a HD stream takes up to 10M but havn't experienced this myself is plenty to have everyone in my family (5 in total) all watching Netflix or streaming television at the same time.

I suppose if you were constantly downloading large files you would notice it being slower than it could be. But coming from 2.5M it was very fast to us.

The evision itself has been excellent with no downtime since September, The channel line out expanded a long the way so hopefully more to come. It doesn't have UTV which could be a problem for some. (I have an apple TV and mirror filmon to it if I want to watch something live on UTV). I think an Irish version of UTV will launch next year. The changing between channels is fast and the picture quality is excellent.

Last week my line got vectoring enabled and I am now on the 85/20 profile (router syncs at 87Mbps almost exactly twice what it was before.).. I said nothing at home about the upgrade and after a few days asked if anyone had noticed a difference... I was a bit surprised when the other members of the family said no....

I had been paying 30 a month to UPC for basic tv package and second room and I was paying 55 for up to 80M broadband. I think i will pay 65 a month now for both when the free trial ends.

So in summary I think if you are getting 40M on efibre and not going for HD you won't notice a whole lot. If you are within 400-500M of the cabinet you should get a significant benefit from vectoring.

FasterBetter

AFAIK once you have eVision, about 10mb of the Broadband speed is reserved for the eVision. So you really have over 30mb speed coming into your house, but 10mb will never be available to your devices because this is being used by the set top box.

*I am cringing reading this back because I know my terminology is off :rolleyes:

No matter what you said, your terminology would be better than mine :-)

Thanks for sorting that for me, 20 is more than enough for what I need nowadays. (does anyone remember trying to do graphic design about 15 years ago, when there was only one place in town you could get enough capacity to send off a piece of artwork :-) )

Shazer01 wrote: »
    Why don't you get an Android mx tv box. Get them on eBay for less than €100. Free tv for life then. Watch any tv series or movie. I've got one and its class.

Interesting idea but I think that I will have enough of a fight on my hands to get my OH to drop sky for eVision.

What apps do you have on it for tv shows and movies? Irish Netflix is limited IMO

Do you use saorview for live tv?

If there is anyone looking to order eFibre you might want save some money here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057219443

Right so after being on the live chat with eircom for about 20 minutes they decided just to close the chat instead of actually addressing my query.

The cabinet at the top of my estate went live the other day, well by that I mean connected to the mains and KN stuck the famous yellow sticker on it, when I asked the tech from KN he said it was now live.

So I decided to check and see if we could get it, unfortunately we couldn't so I left it a few days. Still couldn't get if from their website so I decided to go on the live chat this morning to find out whats happening.

First of all he told me the cabinet will be officially declared live on 06/06/2014 so I though great, that's not too far away.

He then explained however even though the cabinet is going live on the 6th, my line wont be part of the upgrade.

Now, that makes no sense to me, Somerville is going live on the 6th, the only cabinet close to somerville is the one at the top of the estate which serves all houses in somerville and the efbre cabinet has been placed there.

So now what I don't understand is how, how is my line not going to be enabled yet everyone else's will be?

There is no chance that I'm connected to the exchange because it's way too far away and all houses in somerville were built around the same time so it would make no sense.

So now I'm left with the main question, why are eircom refusing to enable my line, which follows all the rest of the lines back to the cabinet at the top of the estate.

Unfortunately the live chat tech kept giving me hundreds of excuses and then just closed the chat.

That is extremely bad business eircom, my question is should I believe them? I just don't understand how my estate goes live on the 6th yet my line doesn't.

Anyways, Rant Over.

• Advertisement

Interesting idea but I think that I will have enough of a fight on my hands to get my OH to drop sky for eVision.

What apps do you have on it for tv shows and movies? Irish Netflix is limited IMO

Do you use saorview for live tv?

there are hundreds of add ons to watch your movies and TV shows. It suits me because I like to watch my shows. I put the shows/movies in my favorites and watch em that way. It wouldn't suit someone who likes to flick between channels. I used to do that but I actually prefer the xbmc box. Everything is on it. Add on include rte player. utv player. Ch 4 player. Mash up. Navi x. Tv online. There literally are hundreds of add ons. Sometimes an add on goes down so I just use another one.
    And finally i don't use saor view. Just use the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

I said id update now its all settled, this is over wifi sitting in a non optimal position (its a tad faster over ethernet)

3530908023.png

dont get too depressed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭DaveC85

The cabinet in riverstown has gone active since maybe yesterday, a mate of mine living in bayview called today and was told he'd get up to 70mb with an installation to be done next friday.

Can't wait till more cabinets go live.

So UTV is gone to Vodafone. Finally getting fibre. Said up to 90mb for me, seems faster than I expected!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Installer just left the house after 40 minutes. Running at 43.5 with an upload of around 13 (sorry useless with the pics).

Less than the promised 70 but still one hell of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Anyone running over 50 in Tramore? lots of people promised 70-90Mb but I have yet to see any come near this, especially with Vodafone, they seem to be running slower than Eircom?

rex-x wrote: »
    Anyone running over 50 in Tramore? lots of people promised 70-90Mb but I have yet to see any come near this, especially with Vodafone, they seem to be running slower than Eircom?

Haha Vodafone told me I should be getting 90mb. I somehow very much doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Sully wrote: »
    Haha Vodafone told me I should be getting 90mb. I somehow very much doubt it!

They told me I'd get 100mb!! Mind you the eircom line checker tells me I'll be getting e-fibre enabled in May '14...... hmmmmmmm:confused:

I think i am on a 50 service, but I am consistently getting between 20 and 22 download and about 10 upload, plus tv. So around 30 any time of day. Which is fine for what I want, but I don't know who is getting anywhere near the figure promised.

• Advertisement

I think i am on a 50 service, but I am consistently getting between 20 and 22 download and about 10 upload, plus tv. So around 30 any time of day. Which is fine for what I want, but I don't know who is getting anywhere near the figure promised.

You're being hammered because of the TV service, unfortunately.

Advertisement