Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XtraVision refuse to Sell to Xbox Ones without purchase of an additional game

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Everyone should film their interactions with Xtravision on PS4 launch day and flood YouTube and Twitter with videos. That'd be a major PR disaster for the company who, so far, are probably alright with just pissing some gamers off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

It's Xtravision not Extravision, never understand why people add the bloody E.

its not their fault the founder of the company couldnt spell:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bumper234 wrote: »
    Erm I am on your side. What I was saying is you "May" be trespassing. I am not a guard nor a solicitor so I am not entirely sure but I believe if you are asked to leave a premises and refuse then you are technically trespassing. I only say this as a heads up because some people may not want to risk crossing a certain line.

Section 13 of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 covers trespassing, and once you're asked to leave (note, you cannot be told to leave, you have to be asked - being told is a direction which can only be given after you've refused a request), it can be deemed as trespassing under the above section. All the staff have to say is that you are causing them fear, which is very broad, and then you are in breach of Section 13. Record all you want, but as i said, fear is broad, and even by acting calm you can cause fear in a person due to not knowing how it may end.

So just be careful. I honestly couldn't imagine a Garda would do anything about it, but be careful as something can be done... I would leave when asked and picket outside (again, being careful you don't breach any other laws, like someones right to free movement, abusive or insulting words and/or behaviour, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What are the chances that this is the last grab at cash with the XV name before they bin it and go with HMV fully.

didn't shopto do the same in the uk for ps4 order and SONY brought the hammer down on them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

iv had mine booked for months but only paid it off over the last month, have a controller paid for and cod paid. plus 2 other games booked that ill hopefully cover with trade ins. ill be happy with the console controller and cod for the first few days if i cant cover the rest but if there expecting me to fork over for another game its not happening. luckily i know most of the staff in my local so im sure they wont force me to buy anything regardless of what there being told. as for bundles, iv asked everytime iv been in and keep being told they havnt heard anything yet. but last friday i asked again and they said theyd be doing something similar to the xbox which was a free game and money off a second. as far as i know xbox was giveing a free game anyway so maybe theres a mix up there but they never mentioned haveing to buy anything extra

edit: id also like to add that they advised me to pre order games or they might not have them and thats the only reason i did. so theyll have another thing coming if there expecting me to buy another on top of whats ordered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Killinator wrote: »
    The really annoying thing is we(the staff) were perfectly able to upsell additional items without this stupid policy.
    In fact alot of people who bought the console just assumed we were upselling like anywhere else would and that's how we tried to push it, only one customer, I believe, actually had an issue as everyone else was perfectly fine to buy extra games or controllers or charge packs.

So the company would have made their money without losing good will by just letting us do what we normally do!

And will some of the Xtravision staff point this thread out to management tomorrow?

This despicable bully-boy policy shows nothing but contempt for customers. Xtravision should be ashamed of themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

It's Xtravision not Extravision, never understand why people add the bloody E.

Out of everything that is wrong with whats happening THAT'S what you pick up on:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

I am for people standing your ground where they are trying to force you to buy a game when it was non the basis of the deposit, or in some cases people paying in full. In the article you linked the guy changed his mind plus it is in the UK. It appears to be a case of good will going on the article you link. Certain think where people are getting bullied by xtra vision they should stand their ground. If you and a friend have both paid for your consoles in advance, go in together to collect and if all you want is your console. Keep pressing them, "I want my console" "You have my €400" "I will have my console now" "I don't want a game" etc

He didn't change his mind, they were going into liquidation and wouldn't be able to honour the ps4 order.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

COYVB wrote: »
    Everyone should film their interactions with Xtravision on PS4 launch day and flood YouTube and Twitter with videos. That'd be a major PR disaster for the company who, so far, are probably alright with just pissing some gamers off

If anyone does this for the PS4 release, I'd hope they would blur the faces of the staff as they will be getting a bad enough doing from customers. Would be great to get a manager on video saying MS or Sony are making them do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

For those who have it pre-ordered with games and paid off, could you not cancel the pre-order for the game, and use that money to buy the same game at the store? I'm not condoning the action, but it could be a work-around to guarantee day one purchase without any more money being spent. You can still buy it with a scowl and a sneaky comment after you have the console in your hands.

Oh, and for anyone that might be considering going into the back and taking "your" console, that is 100% burglary. Even if you've paid for it, you're taking something which does not belong to you, as you cannot say that "that" console was yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

didn't shopto do the same in the uk for ps4 order and SONY brought the hammer down on them

It was Simply Games and the trading standards authority came down on them very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Killinator

3rdDegree wrote: »
    And will some of the Xtravision staff point this thread out to management tomorrow?

This despicable bully-boy policy shows nothing but contempt for customers. Xtravision should be ashamed of themselves.

I'm not with xtravision, but hmv

I would point it out if I could but they don't listen to regular staff. They just make calls at head office and say "let the staff deal with the fallout".

I'm not with xtravision, but hmv

I would point it out if I could but they don't listen to regular staff. They just make calls at head office and say "let the staff deal with the fallout".

Can you recommend to anyone who had preordered a game that they cancel their preorder at the till for a refund and then buy the game outright there and then instead?

Can you recommend to anyone who had preordered a game that they cancel their preorder at the till for a refund and then buy the game outright there and then instead?

I probably could but I'm sure I wouldn't be in the job for very long if I did it more than once.
    Unfortunately my morals and disdain at the policy won't pay the bills:(

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

lankz92 wrote: »
    edit: id also like to add that they advised me to pre order games or they might not have them and thats the only reason i did. so theyll have another thing coming if there expecting me to buy another on top of whats ordered

they asked you to do this cos they had this planned for a while it seems to me. pre-order the game cos they are forcing everyone to buy a extra game to get there console.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Seems like I was lucky with them. I got a call Thursday at 7. Told I had to buy a bundle. I said its not on my €50 deposit receipt and you can't do that. He then mentioned a play and charge kit. Which I wanted anyway. €25.

But when I went to pick it up. The girl serving said I had to buy a game. I told her I had agreed to get the play and charge kit. So she made a call and it was cool.

It really is a grey area. I rang the national consumer agency. He spoke a lot about legal stuff. Asked about the receipt. But we kept going around in circles. But he kept referring me to contracts. So my receipt was basically my contract.
    Look here at deposits http://www.consumerhelp.ie/index.jsp?a=333&n=163&p=130

What I reckon is. They basically broke the Contract. So I'm either just entitled to a refund. Or I buy the extra item under duress and bring them to the small claims court. See what happens there. It's a tricky one to call if there forthcoming with the Deposit.

Ow and on the point of buying games. I never bought one. I got Fifa free. Thought the line up was poor. That I buy the digital download power star golf.

The thing I'm pissed of the most is. I always supported Xtra cause they where originally an Irish company. I wanted to give them my business for the X1 because of there problems. Although I had concerns I took the risk as I wanted to support them. I always bought my games with them. They used to give me loads of vouchers. I got the 360 with them. I was never forced to buy anything extra then. As some people have posted here. But wow then they go and do this. All the effort I made with them. They throw it back in my face. So no way will I ever shop with them again or HMV. Can I also suggest that if people are using bricks and mortar stores. To choose Smyths rather than Gamestop. Smyths are Irish.

they asked you to do this cos they had this planned for a while it seems to me. pre-order the game cos they are forcing everyone to buy a extra game to get there console.

That's head office again,

They've been on all staffs a** getting them to get as many pre-orders as possible since we reopened.
    Suppose it makes sense now!

Xenji wrote: »
    Got mine from VGC, were only €45 each.

you mean VGP wouldn't you pay customs there form Canada ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its quite interesting. For all the complaining in this thread I see very few people saying that they are just going to cancel their pre-order.

It would appear that you all just cannot wait a few weeks to get your console, it has to be on opening night, and its this strange lack of patience that Xtravision are taking advantage of.

Frankly, for all the complaining in here, if you aren't prepared to take the simple action of canceling your pre-order then its all just hot air.

• Advertisement

I probably could but I'm sure I wouldn't be in the job for very long if I did it more than once.
    Unfortunately my morals and disdain at the policy won't pay the bills:(

Well, I meant on here :)

Would that be something that people could do to get around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Nah mine and many other peoples escaped customs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Its quite interesting. For all the complaining in this thread I see very few people saying that they are just going to cancel their pre-order.

It would appear that you all just cannot wait a few weeks to get your console, it has to be on opening night, and its this strange lack of patience that Xtravision are taking advantage of.

Frankly, for all the complaining in here, if you aren't prepared to take the simple action of canceling your pre-order then its all just hot air.

Many people want to be part of the start of a new console gen and that is why they pre-ordered in the first place so why should they be bullied into cancel the pre-ordered they made in good faith?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

It's good to know I'm not the only staff member pissed off at having to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,624 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The above about cancelling your preorder and waiting a few weeks reminds me of a gamestop employee saying to me 'oh you're one of THOSE!' when I came in first thing in the morning for a new release game.

We are gamers and next gen consoles are huge. Some people waiting since january, some even before that so people might want theirs day one. XV no this and thats what they are exploiting.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    The above about cancelling your preorder and waiting a few weeks reminds me of a gamestop employee saying to me 'oh you're one of THOSE!' when I came in first thing in the morning for a new release game.

We are gamers and next gen consoles are huge. Some people waiting since january, some even before that so people might want theirs day one. XV no this and thats what they are exploiting.

I am proud to be "one of those"! Games are about one of the only things that gets me excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Many people want to be part of the start of a new console gen and that is why they pre-ordered in the first place so why should they be bullied into cancel the pre-ordered they made in good faith?

In any other industry such underhand business practices would be met by the customers saying "You will not get my money". But here? Here we have a bunch of people impotently saying "You can still have my money, but I'm really upset".

Its not a limited product folks, I guarantee that if I wanted one in a few weeks I would be able to get one, so if you are upset then man up to your convictions instead of just meekly giving them your cash.

Well, I meant on here :)

Would that be something that people could do to get around it?

Technically they should be able, but I can't speak for how any store or staff would deal with it,

Hell, I'm not sure I'm comfortable saying any more on the matter for obvious reasons

In any other industry such underhand business practices would be met by the customers saying "You will not get my money". But here? Here we have a bunch of people impotently saying "You can still have my money, but I'm really upset".

Its not a limited product folks, I guarantee that if I wanted one in a few weeks I would be able to get one, so if you are upset then man up to your convictions instead of just meekly giving them your cash.

Problem there is if people on mass cancel pre-orders then some other poor desperate people will just step in and buy these console from Xtravision, so Nothing will be learnt by them.

And nobody I have seen posting here and elsewhere seem the type to be just meekly giving their cash to xtravision, quite the opposite actually!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Yep, not sure how I spelt that wrong :pac: but anyway they only say there are cheap dvds in the package.

Advertisement