Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely places to get a PS4 without a Pre-order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Caoimhin wrote: »
    rang Tesco HQ and they said only the super stores are selling them and its at midnight. Argos still no word

So are the super stores aka the extra stores? Midnight eh, change of strategy compared to Xbox launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Caoimhin

it seems they are all over the place and the Tesco rep also said each store was getting up to 40 consoles each, so this is completely different news

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Hopefully we can get some concrete news before Friday. If theyre doing a midnight launch you'd imagine they'd have a decent amount of consoles. If this midnight stuff is confirmed Ill head down to my local Tesco Extra and see what happens.

rang Tesco HQ and they said only the super stores are selling them and its at midnight. Argos still no word

Well if it's the superstores then Galway will definitely have some.

The Galway store is 24 hour, but is different in the sense that the general electronics are held in a separate unit with normal opening hours.

However for GTA they sold it in the main part at 12am, and just had two different checkouts opened to load them out.
    Would expect the same situation.

I'll probably head down somewhat early if there's not going to be many as with GTA the queue was extremely long and PS3 had sold out before I even got to the counter(was getting Xbox).

Maybe the higher price point will change things but I'd be hopeful of getting one heading down around 11:30.

yeah the rep said he expected people to be fairly early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheStig13

Tesco portlaoise is opening at 8 that morning. No midnight opening

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Well if it's the superstores then Galway will definitely have some.

The Galway store is 24 hour, but is different in the sense that the general electronics are held in a separate unit with normal opening hours.

However for GTA they sold it in the main part at 12am, and just had two different checkouts opened to load them out.
    Would expect the same situation.

I'll probably head down somewhat early if there's not going to be many as with GTA the queue was extremely long and PS3 had sold out before I even got to the counter(was getting Xbox).

Maybe the higher price point will change things but I'd be hopeful of getting one heading down around 11:30.

Yeah, I reckon I'll be doing the same. I might just pop in tomorrow evening to confirm that they are doing this for deffo. I wonder if they will have any bundles??

dan hibiki wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon I'll be doing the same. I might just pop in tomorrow evening to confirm that they are doing this for deffo. I wonder if they will have any bundles??

Actually didn't ask about bundles

dan hibiki wrote: »

Hope not.

I only want FIFA and NBA2K so a bundle would be an unnecessary expense.

One thing us Tesco buyers need to be mindful of is that if you wanted to play FIFA or any of the other 29th launch games.
    You may not be able to purchase them anywhere if Tesco don't stock them as I'm sure the other shops won't be allowing non pre orders in.
    I know the Tesco in Galway stocks the games in the other unit, so they may not give you any additions on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭brijay

Hope not.

One thing us Tesco buyers need to be mindful of is that if you wanted to play FIFA or any of the other 29th launch games.
    You may not be able to purchase them anywhere if Tesco don't stock them as I'm sure the other shops won't be allowing non pre orders in.
    I know the Tesco in Galway stocks the games in the other unit, so they may not give you any additions on the night.

You can buy the games of the store right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Hope not.

Yeah, or xtra vision will be doing the midnight opening - could always pop in there and pick up NFS. thats the only one im interested in getting, but if they had the bundle with killzone and the vita, id be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Good luck to ya I'm going try tesco in artane

Any idea if Artane Castle are doing a midnight launch or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Cwarim

What time did you show up at Tesco for the Xbox? I expect demand for the PS4 will be higher so you'll have to be on the ball to have any chance of getting one.

I showed up at 6am and I was too late. Not sure when I would have had to show up to get one. Then again, there was only 4 available that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cwarim wrote: »
    Then again, there was only 4 available that morning.

Thats mad!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It looks like the console will be mega scare even if you don't have a preorder.

I have it preordered and paid for but, honestly, there is so little difference between PS4 and Xbox One in terms of power (PS4 better power) and games available (XBOX better games for me personnally - I love Killer Instinct)that I am not sure I'll keep it. As a long time gamer, there is really nothing exclusive to either console (barring Killer Instinct on One) that makes me want to own one machine over the other, and the One released first.

Was thinking of putting it on adverts with a barely used PS Vita, 1 unused year of PS+ and a few games. I bought it all in anticipation that I would have the PS4 for all the awesome connectivity. At the very least, will beat the scalpers looking for a crazy amount! One idiot on adverts seling a preorder receipt for 400 :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭innthe

anyone know if tesco was open at midnight for the xbox one in galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Tesco will more than likely have the same amount that they did for the XB1 launch and that was 15 per store, and it will only be in the Extra stores, after the staff got their hands on the XB1 they only had about 3-4 left in the store for customers last Friday, that is what I was told this morning.

If Argos do get more stock in, just be warned that staff there get first dibs on all stock they get in, so they might not have many left for actual customers.

Xenji wrote: »
    Tesco will more than likely have the same amount that they did for the XB1 launch and that was 15 per store, and it will only be in the Extra stores, after the staff got their hands on the XB1 they only had about 3-4 left in the store for customers last Friday, that is what I was told this morning.

If Argos do get more stock in, just be warned that staff there get first dibs on all stock they get in, so they might not have many left for actual customers.

What you basing the 15 per store on, posters here have already claimed they'd have more along the lines of 40.

Since the Xbox went for a worldwide day release, there was always going to be less at launch.
    I'd expect more PS3's at launch and 40 per store seems about right if Gamestop and Smyths are getting 100+ on average.

The Tesco Extra thing was also stated to be wrong for this launch and for super stores only.
    They've launched GTA etc at 12 in non extra stores so there's no basis to continue the trend from last week and go with extra.
    The main difference in the Extra stores is that they open earlier, maybe they're more interested in this midnight sale to move a higher amount of products on the night.
    More units to sell = more games to potentially sell = more reason to launch at 12 in the 24 hour stores.

As far as I know, Gamestop Galway are opening at 12 and this is unheard of given its location within a shopping center.
    They didn't even open for the One launch so the perimeters of each sale have to be taken individually.
    innthe wrote: »
    anyone know if tesco was open at midnight for the xbox one in galway?

I don't think so, I saw no mention on here anyway and was following the thread.
    A lot of stores didn't and it was just a morning sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Konflikt2K11

What you basing the 15 per store on, posters here have already claimed they'd have more along the lines of 40.

Since the Xbox went for a worldwide day release, there was always going to be less at launch.
    I'd expect more PS3's at launch and 40 per store seems about right if Gamestop and Smyths are getting 100+ on average.

The Tesco Extra thing was also stated to be wrong for this launch and for super stores only.
    They've launched GTA etc at 12 in non extra stores so there's no basis to continue the trend from last week and go with extra.
    The main difference in the Extra stores is that they open earlier, maybe they're more interested in this midnight sale to move a higher amount of products on the night.
    More units to sell = more games to potentially sell = more reason to launch at 12 in the 24 hour stores.

As far as I know, Gamestop Galway are opening at 12 and this is unheard of given its location within a shopping center.
    They didn't even open for the One launch so the perimeters of each sale have to be taken individually.

I can tell you that smyths are not getting 100 PS4s on average. We're getting ~25 and the others are the same

I will ring another Tesco rep at a different store just to confirm the amount of PS4 they are getting in per store. Already two Tesco people have said 30 plus and im afraid Argos are still in the dark. Will keep you lot updated

• Advertisement

I can tell you that smyths are not getting 100 PS4s on average. We're getting ~25 and the others are the same

Where's that?.

I'd doubt Smyths Galway are getting just 25.

Maybe Claremorris(or the likes) or 2nd stores in bigger locations.

It was probably Gamestop that was quoted then, but I read on here people being well down the 100s getting a preorder for launch.
    Brown Thomas definitely had over 100 going as well,

If you break it down, it's not a particularly massive number overall even if every stores in Ireland selling had 100.

Just what I was told in my store today that they are expecting a similar quota.

Your logic is a bit wrong as regards the XB1 having less consoles due to it having a worldwide release, it was only launched in 13 countries, if that was true the PS4 would have far less consoles available as it is launching in 32 countries this week and has already sold well over 1 million units already in the US and Canada alone.

Also Brown Thomas had 200 consoles, 100 for Dublin and 100 for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

PS4 is up on Argos.ie now. Would I be right in saying you could reserve one on release day and pick it up at your convenience?

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=playstation+4&authToken=%252d1002%252c8RvTgzRQUIkiaCQg1wd0wg264Io%253d

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Konflikt2K11

Where's that?.

I'd doubt Smyths Galway are getting just 25.

Maybe Claremorris(or the likes) or 2nd stores in bigger locations.

It was probably Gamestop that was quoted then, but I read on here people being well down the 100s getting a preorder for launch.
    Brown Thomas definitely had over 100 going as well,

If you break it down, it's not a particularly massive number overall even if every stores in Ireland selling had 100.
    Navan.

I've seen the allocations for all the stores too, dont remember them off by heart but I dont remember any over 40.

Basically anyone who preordered before August 10th was getting one and not many after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

whats classed as a tesco superstore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

My mates mother works in Tesco. She is gonna check availability and will pick up one for me if they have. All Tesco staff get 10% discount so happy days :).
    Regarding games , any truth in the rumour that you can trade in your PS3 version of FIFA and only pay €15 for the PS4 version in games stop ?

Navan.

I've seen the allocations for all the stores too, dont remember them off by heart but I dont remember any over 40.

Basically anyone who preordered before August 10th was getting one and not many after that.

You should post that in this thread, a lot of people are quite anxious about their orders from Smyths.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056969630&page=321

you cannot reserve it yet, no option to

you cannot reserve it yet, no option to

According to a poster that works there he reckons you will not be able to reserve it and will just have to take your chances walking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Just been told that Argos will have pre-booking from midnight tonight. Not sure how true or accurate this is - if at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement