Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely places to get a PS4 without a Pre-order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Caoimhin

Called up another tesco there, they're in the dark but said keep checking and it's very likely they will start selling them at 7am launch day , first come first serve basis

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

and heres me thinking most people had xboxs maybe its just people i know bought xboxs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

seanand wrote: »
    and heres me thinking most people had xboxs maybe its just people i know bought xboxs

The tide is turning for a lot of people, including myself. I just cannot justify paying an extra €100 for the xbox one at launch for a feature I wouldn't be arsed using (cool piece of technology nevertheless).

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭seanand

The tide is turning for a lot of people, including myself. I just cannot justify paying an extra €100 for the xbox one at launch for a feature I wouldn't be arsed using (cool piece of technology nevertheless).
    i see it as an investment over 7 years so the extra hundred doesnt bother me but im waiting to see what my friends get before i decide tho i hope its the ps4 prefer the exclusives

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I've worked in game stores since 2003, I have seen plenty of launches where the supplier says they won't have enough to supply in time for Xmas, it has happened for every single console launch. This is just to whip parents into a frenzy thinking they won't have one for little johnny on Christmas morning which means they will buy the first one they see available.

It works every time and it's working with the xbox one and ps4 this time, I can't believe people haven't copped on to it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

I've worked in game stores since 2003, I have seen plenty of launches where the supplier says they won't have enough to supply in time for Xmas, it has happened for every single console launch. This is just to whip parents into a frenzy thinking they won't have one for little johnny on Christmas morning which means they will buy the first one they see available.

It works every time and it's working with the xbox one and ps4 this time, I can't believe people haven't copped on to it yet.
    but the Wii and 360 were in huge demand and short supply when they were originally released. I remember you still couldn't pick up a Wii off the shelf 6 months later.

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    but the Wii and 360 were in huge demand and short supply when they were originally released. I remember you still couldn't pick up a Wii off the shelf 6 months later.

I remember both those launches and I remember sitting on stock of both on Xmas eve. There were plenty available despite what Nintendo and Microsoft wanted people to believe. Iirc, it was the same situation with the psp.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

I remember both those launches and I remember sitting on stock of both on Xmas eve. There were plenty available despite what Nintendo and Microsoft wanted people to believe. Iirc, it was the same situation with the psp.

So if I scout around after release they should have them and not refuse to sell them if I said I was told by managment that they have them in stock ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

seanand wrote: »
    i see it as an investment over 7 years so the extra hundred doesnt bother

That's why I'd go with the PS4. Over the last few years Sony has really continued to support the PS3 with great games (the last of us, gta6, god of war etc) while Microsoft shut down their studio's, switched focus to family friendly games and relied on multi-platform games. Also, I suppose since it's more powerful, more developers and cheaper, it makes sense that way too. Although If you're more into media integration the Xbox looks pretty cool too.

So if I scout around after release they should have them and not refuse to sell them if I said I was told by managment that they have them in stock ???

I'd 100% guarantee that anyone wanting a ps4 will have one by Christmas day.

• Advertisement

I hope your are right, would love to spend my Christmas time off doing some serious gaming. Planning to scout the Argos website and camp outside Tesco on the 29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Yeah, i have to say that I would be massively shocked if you couldnt pick one up on launch day from argos/tesco/harvey norman. maybe evn currys or pc world as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

I have an appointment at 9 in Dublin on Friday so I'm gonna try tesco & Argos in drogheda at around 7.30-8am. Here's hoping!

I have an appointment at 9 in Dublin on Friday so I'm gonna try tesco & Argos in drogheda at around 7.30-8am. Here's hoping!

Good luck to ya I'm going try tesco in artane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Lads. Its only Tesco extra stores that are getting the consoles in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You must have been in a quiet shop for the Wii launch, that was crazy, it took months to catch up to the demand.

quick update, still no word on how Tesco and Argos are handling the PS4 launch

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Caoimhin wrote: »
    quick update, still no word on how Tesco and Argos are handling the PS4 launch

I heard Tesco sold whatever XBox Ones they had from 8am. Didn't hear anything about Argos, did they actually have consoles for launch?!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Cwarim

I heard Tesco sold whatever XBox Ones they had from 8am. Didn't hear anything about Argos, did they actually have consoles for launch?!

This is accurate - I was there at Tesco Clearwater - and I'd say it will be the exact same with the PS4.

They only got 4 Xboxs and I'd wager they might only get 6-10 PS4s. Maybe less, who can say? Tesco did not know how many consoles they had even on the morning until they went to the back room and checked. So they won't know and nor will we, you'll just have to show up and chance your arm.

It's Tesco Extra in Drogheda so I'm grand in the regard. Will there be much of a queue, like would I need to be there from 7 or earlier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Cwarim wrote: »
    This is accurate - I was there at Tesco Clearwater - and I'd say it will be the exact same with the PS4.

They only got 4 Xboxs and I'd wager they might only get 6-10 PS4s. Maybe less, who can say? Tesco did not know how many consoles they had even on the morning until they went to the back room and checked. So they won't know and nor will we, you'll just have to show up and chance your arm.

What time did you show up at Tesco for the Xbox? I expect demand for the PS4 will be higher so you'll have to be on the ball to have any chance of getting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Konflikt2K11

Was talking to one of the lads in my local argos there. He said they dont know the allocation they are getting but you will be able to reserve online from sometime thursday morning

Was talking to one of the lads in my local argos there. He said they dont know the allocation they are getting but you will be able to reserve online from sometime thursday morning

A friend of a friend mentioned something about tomorrow being the day they are starting that. Will keep an eye on it anyway

A friend of a friend mentioned something about tomorrow being the day they are starting that. Will keep an eye on it anyway

Not sure what to make of the Argos sale.

A lad in the other thread said Argos in Galway weren't getting any stock due to a supplier going bust.
    Surely they're all supplied from the same source, I'm going to contact them myself and keep an eye on the site.

Hoping they don't let people reserve them same as any product.

All you need is a phone number, so technically someone could pre-book multiple units.

If Tesco are only doing them in Extra then that rules out Galway too.
    Not sure will it apply across the board as Galway only has the one Tesco and given the size of the area you'd imagine they'd make an exception.
    Oranmore 5mins out the road has a Tesco too, but I can see why they'd leave those kind of Tesco's out of stock but think maybe Galway will be different.

Going to contact both over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've a buddy working in a normal Tesco, not the Extra type, and they're selling them on Friday morning, hes no idea how many though.

He deals with the electronics and non food items in store so its his department, but nobody knows how many they'll get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

But they only reserve for 2 days usually :confused: I wish i knew what happened with the xbox one last week. Were they allowed to reserve online because I dont want to be there at 7am only to look like a fool. I've other places to look like a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

Just been into my local tesco and apparently they are doing a midnight launch. I'm not sure how queuing for that will end up since the store closes at 12 anyways. The guy said loads had been in inquiring so I'd say you'd have to be extremely lucky to get one.

I'll be chancing my arm going there as well as argos. I just hope argos don't have a reserve option online for them.

But they only reserve for 2 days usually :confused: I wish i knew what happened with the xbox one last week. Were they allowed to reserve online because I dont want to be there at 7am only to look like a fool. I've other places to look like a fool.

I've no idea man, just passing on what I was told :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The Tesco I'm on about isnt 24 hours so a 7/8 AM opening and then they'll sell them.

Probably enquire with him on Thursday evening see how many they have, I'd be surprsied if it was double figures TBH.

Theyve a small section for XB1 and PS4 games/accesories in store but theres nothing in them at the moment other then 360 and Ps3 games/accesories. :pac:

If I can pick one up Friday morning I'll be happy but I've no problem waiting as FM14 is taking over my life.

• Advertisement

rang Tesco HQ and they said only the super stores are selling them and its at midnight. Argos still no word

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement