Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Likely places to get a PS4 without a Pre-order

Options
  • 21-11-2013 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Stupid question I know, I didn't pre-order a PS4 because I just did not think I would have the money to buy one. But as luck would have it I obtained enough cash to cover the console and I can trade in my old system for games etc.

Have tried everywhere, xtra vision, Harvey Normans, gamestop Tesco etc, but to no avail. If anyone has any ideas where I could get one this side of Christmas please let me know.

Many thanks,
    Kev:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Tesco or Argos. On a first come first served basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Caoimhin

I rang both and they said only pre-orders will get them on the day of release. Tesco rep said there is no point showing up on the day if you didnt pre book it

You've been lied to. Neither do preorders. You can't reserve the console online with Argos and I've never heard of preorder with tesco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I'd say staff have the first round of consoles snapped up.

Thats probably true seeing as each Tesco is only getting like 15 consoles

• Advertisement

pretty sure you can pre-order with Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1222540/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|cat_19780877|PS4|37328275.htm

and I will try another Tesco and double check

Caoimhin wrote: »
    pretty sure you can pre-order with Argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1222540/c_1/1|category_root|Video+games|14419738/c_2/3|cat_19780877|PS4|37328275.htm

and I will try another Tesco and double check

With Argos you can reserve a item and collect it in store. Cant do it with the PS4.

will give argos a call in a bit, if I could get it on release day I would be very happy indded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

It's unfortunate that no one who hasn't pre-ordered will be able to get one at launch. In the US most shops had a specific amount that were to be sold on a first come first served basis. Kind of takes away from the buzz of a launch if there's none available.

I agree, especially since I didnt think I would actually have the money

• Advertisement

Rang argos in jervis there, the rep said they do not know when they are getting them, how many they are getting or if they will get them at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Caoimhin wrote: »
    Rang argos in jervis there, the rep said they do not know when they are getting them, how many they are getting or if they will get them at all

Had a chat with CS in Argos & Tesco today,basically both stores are in the dark about stock numbers as they are not being delivered like usual stock.It's first come first served in both stores and NO midnight selling in Tesco.

Argos said keep an eye on the website until up to launch day but best option then is to turn up early at the door.

Tesco will most likely follow the same practice as they are doing for Xbox One tomorrow,they aren't selling it at midnight tonight but it will be available from 7am tomorrow so expect PS4 to be sold the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The pessimist in me here says that in places like Argos and Tesco, the staff will have caught on and will take most of whatevers they get. There have been reportss in the media that have been way OTT in my opinion which may leave people thinking that there is zero chance of getting one this side of Christmas, which I don;t think is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Sorry if this has been explained sever times already but why have Sony not made enough PS4s for launch? Were they not able to or did they just badly misjudge the demand?

Seems ridiculous that lots of people won't have it for Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been explained sever times already but why have Sony not made enough PS4s for launch? Were they not able to or did they just badly misjudge the demand?

They made a lot of PS4's. Millions of them. They're all going to the people who pre-ordered them first. Which is millions of people.

I feel you are just badly misjudging manufacturing process rate for these types of electronics.

There's the first "Launch batch" Thats sold out. Even the second "Pre-christmas" batch is sold out.

At a guess, its a mix of not finalising all aspects of the design and manufacture process of the machine until relatively late, and probably more crucially, trying to "right-size" the manufacturing capacity they think is appropriate for the life of the console, not just to cater for the high demand that exists for the few months after launch

Klair88 wrote: »
    They made a lot of PS4's. Millions of them. They're all going to the people who pre-ordered them first. Which is millions of people.

I feel you are just badly misjudging manufacturing process rate for these types of electronics.

There's the first "Launch batch" Thats sold out. Even the second "Pre-christmas" batch is sold out.

I'm not misjudging anything, as I'm not able to judge in the first place. I have a limited knowledge on manufacturing process rates.

It is why I asked the question. Thanks for the response anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I'm not misjudging anything, as I'm not able to judge in the first place. I have a limited knowledge on manufacturing process rates.

It is why I asked the question. Thanks for the response anyway.

Neither do i, but it seems they have made a lot of them.

But a lot of demand is on it and i'd say its one of the hottest items this christmas, Not sure it could ever beat the demand of the Wii in 2006.

If you haven't got a pre-order for any before christmas, constantly check Argos, Harvey Norman or tesco's. They don't take pre-orders and you might be lucky and be able to get one by walking into the shop.

As well, it looks good for Sony that the ps4 is "sold out*. It creates media hype and a load of free publicity for their console

Neither do i, but it seems they have made a lot of them.

But a lot of demand is on it and i'd say its one of the hottest items this christmas, Not sure it could ever beat the demand of the Wii in 2006.

If you haven't got a pre-order for any before christmas, constantly check Argos, Harvey Norman or tesco's. They don't take pre-orders and you might be lucky and be able to get one by walking into the shop.

Cheers, I'll look into that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Harvey Norman do take pre-orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Do you know how many units Sony produced?

Ignore anything you read about there being a shortage of consoles as only Sony will know how many they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

Going by what jack trenton told ign they have more than enough supply for before xmass

Iooks like I will be scoping out tesco and argos

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Zonda999 wrote: »
    The pessimist in me here says that in places like Argos and Tesco, the staff will have caught on and will take most of whatevers they get. There have been reportss in the media that have been way OTT in my opinion which may leave people thinking that there is zero chance of getting one this side of Christmas, which I don;t think is the case

Was told in Tesco that staff are banned from snapping up consoles when they get delivered.

I think people need to relax a bit on the pre order front.

The launch in America went off without any major reports of shortages.
    A poster here who's based there now said there was even enough for cash buyers at the launch he attended.

They staggered the release to combat shortages, that's why Japan is waiting until Feb and we waited two weeks.

While there may be shortages on the initial launch, you will get one before Xmas.

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/9177/20131119/playstation-4-stock-sufficient-last-through-end-2013-according-sony-exec.htm
    Sony was able to ramp up production enough to get enough units to sell in its 2013 launch countries, and timed the launches so there would be no shortages. That’s why the console launched first in the U.S. on Nov. 15, and will launch in Europe on Nov. 29. The company will hold the Japanese release date of the PS4 until early 2014.

"We are ensuring that we have the bro,” House said. “On the other hand, we're not engendering frustration by having a shortage of supply. I think through the holiday season that we'll be in good supply."

Sony are saying they have enough for Xmas, and it hasn't even launched here yet so there's no need for any wild hysteria just yet.
    At the end of the day, if America sells 1million, the total needed for Ireland isn't going to be an awful lot.

Saw a link today that ireland has more ps4, s
    pre ordered than any other country per capita in the world ill try find it
    Found it

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/11/gamestop-ireland-has-most-pre-orders-for-playstation-4-worldwide-on-a-per-store-basis/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

Saw a link today that ireland has more ps4, s
    pre ordered than any other country per capita in the world ill try find it
    Found it

http://www.thegamingliberty.com/2013/11/gamestop-ireland-has-most-pre-orders-for-playstation-4-worldwide-on-a-per-store-basis/

Make sense. I remember years back an article stating Ireland had the highest PS2 sales per capita in the world outside of Japan.

@marvsins cheers for fixing the link

I wonder exactly how many units will be sold in gamireland

• Advertisement

@marvsins cheers for fixing the link

I wonder exactly how many units will be sold in gamireland

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement