Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

bren2001 wrote: »
    Amazon will deliver by Christmas, they said they will.

However, the verdict is buy of tesco direct when in stock as it is much cheaper. Buy an unlock code for 2 GBP and then flash the motorola rom onto it, so it updates to 4.4 day one of release on Moto G with no Tesco bloatware.

My pre-order with Amazon is due to ship on the 12th and they have guaranteed me delivery before 24th of December. If you're worried, send them an e-mail, thats what I did and I was assured I'd have it in time. My current delivery estimate is 15th-17th December.

If you can get it from Tesco Direct though it is definitely the way to go, substantially cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    I'm getting this:
    " This seller is currently away until 05 Dec, 2013, and isn't processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your Watch List to purchase later. "

any other trusted sellers?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorola-Unlock-Code-Moto-G-XT389-Motorola-MotoSmart-MotoLuxe-/221326995328?pt=UK_Mobiles_Accessories_RL&hash=item33881def80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

I ordered the 8gb from amazon, took a week to arrive yesterday. 135stg.

To take back off you need to run your finger nail all the way around the edge starting with the usb part and then all other sides. Or use a thin plastic card if you have no nails up to the job.

Will be running with a 48 months sim once I am allowed to transfer it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Amazon will deliver by Christmas, they said they will.

However, the verdict is buy of tesco direct when in stock as it is much cheaper. Buy an unlock code for 2 GBP and then flash the motorola rom onto it, so it updates to 4.4 day one of release on Moto G with no Tesco bloatware.

Bloatware? Didn't notice any on mine. Won't bother flashing till the first update to see if there are delays or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

eddiem74 wrote: »
    8GB or 16GB? I collected the 8GB and it had nothing... :(
    Did you check the very bottom of the box? I didn't get mine yet but I read that the pink shell is in the bottom of the box under a card and is easy to miss.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Did anyone need to charge their phone straight out of the box?

Got the 8GB from Tesco as a Christmas present for my daughter. Was planning to unlock, etc today but when I took it out and hit power nothing happened. Panic started to set in as normally any phone has some power and starts. So plugged in charger and a white light appeared on the top of the phone, however still would not turn on. After a while when hitting power again it showed a battery symbol with 0%. After waiting a few more minutes I was able to power on and it appears to be charging now.

Anyone else experience this or have I gotten a dud?
    GrumPy wrote: »
    How long have you waited? I'd relax and leave it on charge for 30 - 45 minutes before panicking. Then see where you stand. Mine was pretty low when I opened it, but had enough to last an hour or so without initial charging.
    Wife's Moto G required charging as well when opened. Wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks! Nearly 100% charged now after a couple of hours. Also just flashed to GB Retail stock ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

projectgtr wrote: »
    16Gb
    Do-more wrote: »
    Did you check the very bottom of the box? I didn't get mine yet but I read that the pink shell is in the bottom of the box under a card and is easy to miss.

Yes the box is fairly small, nothing there. Must be a 16GB perk! :confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Not my own video, found it over on the xda forums, thought it might be useful to some people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

TheTechGuy wrote: »

Not my own video, found it over on the xda forums, thought it might be useful to some people on here.

Cheers TTG,

I'm getting mine tomorrow hopefully so loading the stock ROM will be the first thing I do. I'm guessing that if I load the stock ROM the phone will no longer be locked to the Tesco network and hence no need to unlock it?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭bren2001

BenThere wrote: »
    Cheers TTG,

I'm getting mine tomorrow hopefully so loading the stock ROM will be the first thing I do. I'm guessing that if I load the stock ROM the phone will no longer be locked to the Tesco network and hence no need to unlock it?

Ben

Phone will still be locked. You still have to buy the unlock code. Its only £2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Phone will still be locked. You still have to buy the unlock code. Its only £2.

OK, cheers.

BTW, can someone confirm what size SIM card the Moto G takes?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    OK, cheers.

BTW, can someone confirm what size SIM card the Moto G takes?

Ben

Micro sim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Anybody having a problem with the GPS? Doesn't seem to ever lock on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

psinno wrote: »
    Anybody having a problem with the GPS? Doesn't seem to ever lock on.

Mine is fine, what app are you using to test? Are you sure it's on in location settings etc..?

Also, I assume the SIM unlocked version of this handset bought from amazon.co.uk has the stock Motorola OS? (and it's only the tesco users that need to flash a new ROM to remove the bloatware).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mine is fine, what app are you using to test? Are you sure it's on in location settings etc..?

Also, I assume the SIM unlocked version of this handset bought from amazon.co.uk has the stock Motorola OS? (and it's only the tesco users that need to flash a new ROM to remove the bloatware).

There is no bloatware that I've heard of, just the phone is locked. There are no Tesco Apps etc.

There is no bloatware that I've heard of, just the phone is locked. There are no Tesco Apps etc.

Only small niggle is that you cannot change the voicemail number on the Tesco rom. So you won't get a message in the notification area when you have a vm. Not a big deal for the majority of people but if it would bother you its very easy to flash the stock rom.

It is from Amazon so it should be stock Motorola.
    Everything on/ticked in location access settings.

No locations showing up in Moves. No lock in GPS Status. Sometimes there are a couple of satellite fixes but not enough for a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭long_b

psinno wrote: »
    It is from Amazon so it should be stock Motorola.
    Everything on/ticked in location access settings.

No locations showing up in Moves. No lock in GPS Status. Sometimes there are a couple of satellite fixes but not enough for a location.
    And you've tried it outside in tbe open air, far away from buildings for a few minutes ?

long_b wrote: »
    And you've tried it outside in tbe open air, far away from buildings for a few minutes ?

Yeah, but being near an open window in a typical Dublin suburb (2 bed house) It shouldn't be an issue really either! I can resolve in about 8 seconds.

Try an app in which it's only purpose is to lock onto a GPS signal to test if it's a hardware issue:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=philip.where.app&hl=en

Yeah, but being near an open window in a typical Dublin suburb (2 bed house) It shouldn't be an issue really either! I can resolve in about 8 seconds.

User error, forgot I had turned on power saving and that was interfering with Moves getting locations outside. Still no luck getting a lock inside but it is working outside now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Would this be a decent upgrade for a casual smartphone user with a Galaxy S running Cyanogenmod 10.2 ?

Zardoz wrote: »
    Would this be a decent upgrade for a casual smartphone user with a Galaxy S running Cyanogenmod 10.2 ?

This handset is an ever so slightly watered down Nexus 5, and easily outperforms phones like S3/S4 mini, HTC One mini and other much more expensive SIM free devices. It's a little slimmer on certain "luxury" features though - like: NFC, 4G, removable battery and a full HD screen are the first things that spring to mind... Feels a tad plasticy in the hand, too.

It's probably sitting somewhere in between Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 performance wise (leaning towards the latter). Nice stock Android experience, too.
    Plenty of review online, give em' a gander to get a decent overview of it.

For £89.00 (handset via TescoDirect) + €3.50 (ParcelMotel shipping) + £2.00 (ebay unlock code) It's an absolute bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

This handset is an ever so slightly watered down Nexus 5, and easily outperforms phones like S3/S4 mini, HTC One mini and other much more expensive SIM free devices. It's a little slimmer on certain "luxury" features though - like: NFC, 4G, removable battery and a full HD screen are the first things that spring to mind... Feels a tad plasticy in the hand, too.

It's probably sitting somewhere in between Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 performance wise (leaning towards the latter). Nice stock Android experience, too.
    Plenty of review online, give em' a gander to get a decent overview of it.

For £89.00 (handset via TescoDirect) + €3.50 (ParcelMotel shipping) + £2.00 (ebay unlock code) It's an absolute bargain!

Last time I tried buy a phone from tesco direct using parcel motel it got canceled are they sending stuff now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

well, I got mine no prob

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭nostrils

Currently unavailable in tesco direct will wait see if they come back in stock, lost me htc one at the weekend not spending top dollar on a phone again,specs seem decent on this phone for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Grab it while you can - just ordered a 16gb on tesco direct! Things seemed to be conspiring against me at the checkout though - took me ages to find the €15 off voucher code and when I did it didn't work. Didn't bother trying the £10 one as afraid I would time out. Also had to activate my verified by visa -looks for your credit limit - luckily I guessed mine correctly. Should have it by Tuseday all going well.

I could be wrong but I think the free next day delivery is only for collect in store? I'm keen to get it as iPhone 5 is broken and now reduced to an iPhone 3 - painfully slow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭bren2001

digitaldr wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think the free next day delivery is only for collect in store? I'm keen to get it as iPhone 5 is broken and now reduced to an iPhone 3 - painfully slow

It took more than one day to get to me. I used standard shipping but on the label from Yodel is said next day delivery. All in all it took 4 working days to get to me (including Parcel Motel). Don't see Tesco getting it out and over much faster than that.

Didn't get s chance to change the shipping as order is now confirmed and is awaiting collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

digitaldr wrote: »

I paid an extra £5.95 for the express shipping and it took 5 days (including the weekend) to get to PM so I wouldn't suggest paying the extra since it seems they will post it the same as standard delivery anyway :(

Advertisement