Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

j_lennon18 wrote: »
    I paid an extra £5.95 for the express shipping and it took 5 days (including the weekend) to get to PM so I wouldn't suggest paying the extra since it seems they will post it the same as standard delivery anyway :(

Placed order with TD on 1st Dec.....delivered to my PM locker yesterday [actually checked in with PM on 4th Dec.].

So, I don't think it could have been better, taking into account Northern Ireland delivery address, and the extra time it took PM....a really good delivery experience, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

psinno wrote: »
    User error, forgot I had turned on power saving and that was interfering with Moves getting locations outside. Still no luck getting a lock inside but it is working outside now.

Getting a lock inside is hit and miss. For example, there was one room of about 10 lecture rooms in my old college I could get a perfect lock. Every other room was a no go.

Totally depends on GPS line of sight. Working outside/ in a car is all you really need it for (and all it's designed for!) anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

On Tesco direct do I set my first name to my full name and my second name to the Parcel Motel ID?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Lukker- wrote: »
    On Tesco direct do I set my first name to my full name and my second name to the Parcel Motel ID?

Yeah, I did it that way and had no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Am looking seriously at buying a Moto G but as I do a fair bit of tethering, I'd really appreciate any feedback there is on how well the hotspot works on it .

Also with Parcel Motel, will they ship it from their NI depot to the one here in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

GrumPy wrote: »
    This handset is an ever so slightly watered down Nexus 5, and easily outperforms phones like S3/S4 mini, HTC One mini and other much more expensive SIM free devices. It's a little slimmer on certain "luxury" features though - like: NFC, 4G, removable battery and a full HD screen are the first things that spring to mind... Feels a tad plasticy in the hand, too.

The S3/S4 minis don't have 720p displays, and the HTC One Mini has the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Hi,

I have a Moto G that was purchased through Tesco.

In the system version it mentions Tesco and what I am wondering is whether I will receive Android updates for the phone when these are pushed out by Google / Motorola or will I have to wait until Tesco release an Android version update?

I'm particularly interested in finding out when the phone will get kitkat.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭bren2001

Hi,

I have a Moto G that was purchased through Tesco.

In the system version it mentions Tesco and what I am wondering is whether I will receive Android updates for the phone when these are pushed out by Google / Motorola or will I have to wait until Tesco release an Android version update?

I'm particularly interested in finding out when the phone will get kitkat.

Thanks

Tesco will roll out your update. Kitkat is supposidly being released for it in January. However, Tesco will add whatever they want to it and push it out when they want (could literally be any time after that).

If you want to avoid that, flash the stock Motorola ROM onto it. There is a video in the thread that goes through it step by step. This will mean you get Kitkat when Motorola release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Thanks. Here is a link to the guide for flashing stock Rom. It seems as though this can be done without rooting the phone and therefore should not invalidate the warranty.

http://www.modaco.com/topic/366786-how-to-flash-to-the-standard-uk-rom/

bren2001 wrote: »
    Tesco will roll out your update. Kitkat is supposidly being released for it in January. However, Tesco will add whatever they want to it and push it out when they want (could literally be any time after that).

If you want to avoid that, flash the stock Motorola ROM onto it. There is a video in the thread that goes through it step by step. This will mean you get Kitkat when Motorola release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Just got confirmation that my 16gb that was ordered way back in November has been dispatched ... Happy days!

• Advertisement

Meteor say they will be soon selling the Moto G for €150. They don't say which version so probably wise to assume its the 8Gb

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

8GB one works out e110 from UK

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭pedatron

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    8GB one works out e110 from UK

Link? Can't find one in stock anywhere!

pedatron wrote: »
    Link? Can't find one in stock anywhere!

100 pounds on tesco direct.

100 pounds on tesco direct.

Have yet to see them in stock there. Have email alerts enabled but no sign of an email yet.

Cheers for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Tesco direct seem to get stock at 7am :eek: Sell out pretty fast though - early bird, worm etc

Have yet to see them in stock there. Have email alerts enabled but no sign of an email yet.

Cheers for reply

Those email alerts definitely don't work correctly.

digitaldr wrote: »
    Tesco direct seem to get stock at 7am :eek: Sell out pretty fast though - early bird, worm etc

Might attempt tomorrow morning! Alarm is set! Thanks lads! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Those email alerts definitely don't work correctly.

well, again, they did for me. got email about 8am, ordered 11am, worked out 89 pounds of e106 with the code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Just make sure you're fully registered with Tesco direct tonight and have added your payment card too - they don't seem to care if it's registered to an Irish address. They use verified by Visa though so if your card provider uses it too make sure you know your password. There are two coupons doing the rounds TDXR-P3Q4 for £15 off - this didn't work for me andTDX-7DXM for £10 off - I think this one still works. Lastly expediated shipping probably isn't any quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Make sure you have your Tesco Direct account set up though!!

Timing is everything!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VitaminE

shamwari wrote: »
    Meteor say they will be soon selling the Moto G for €150. They don't say which version so probably wise to assume its the 8Gb

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/moto-g

Just checked with them, this will be in stock for Xmas, no date yet. If the 8GB is 150, I'm hoping the 16 will be similar value, as 8GB is 130sterling on Amazon it's actually a pretty good price here. Obviously not relative to Tesco though. 16GB version "should" be available as well. I think I'll gamble on getting this from them when it gets in store...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

It works just as good as my iphone 4s did , so have not had any issues tethering it to my mac and pc + nexus 7

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Just got my 16GB in my hands a while ago :)

Awaiting an unlock code now .. hope it all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My 8Gb model just arrived from Amazon, just started it up to check that all was working and then packed it back up to put under the tree.

I particularly wanted to check that there was no problem receiving calls with the wifi switched on as another poster had reported. All seems fine with mine.

Think I'll wait for the genuine Motorola flip case that replaces the rear shell and has the magnet that unlocks the phone when the case is opened or has anyone found a 3rd party copy of it that's available now?

invest4deepvalue.com

Am looking seriously at buying a Moto G but as I do a fair bit of tethering, I'd really appreciate any feedback there is on how well the hotspot works on it .

Also with Parcel Motel, will they ship it from their NI depot to the one here in Dublin?

Anybody....? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Anybody....? :)

Yes that's the whole point of Parcel Motel...they will deliver to your chosen Parcel Motel.

It will ship to their depot in Co Antrim and Parcel Motel will then deliver to you local one.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

Thanks for that....and the tethering..? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks for that....and the tethering..? :)

There's no reason why it wouldn't work fine. All android phones later than 4.1 have hotspot I'm nearly sure. This definitely does because I seen it on YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've been trying to find out more about the keypad and input options for messaging for the Moto G. Is it possible to select an alphanumeric/3x4 keyboard with predictive text (e.g. XT9) for the Moto G? I know Motorola have something called iTAP but I don't know if that includes 3x4 input.

Any info appreciated!

Advertisement