Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

Hey guys, just bought this Moto G and put in my 48 sim card. I am wondering if I set up the 4G settings correctly, I did what it said on the 48 website, changed the settings and set it up.

The thing is, i'm not in a 4G area, and I'm wondering if there's a way of confirming if I have actually connected to the network properly, or if i'm still working off WiFi.

Any ways of testing this? Cheers.

PS Phone seems super cool, very quick and screen looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

podgey1992 wrote: »
    Hey guys, just bought this Moto G and put in my 48 sim card. I am wondering if I set up the 4G settings correctly, I did what it said on the 48 website, changed the settings and set it up.

The thing is, i'm not in a 4G area, and I'm wondering if there's a way of confirming if I have actually connected to the network properly, or if i'm still working off WiFi.

Turn off WiFi and you'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

I had to use tweakker to get internet going on my Moto.

Turn off WiFi, Turn on Data. (Settings-->More...-->Mobile Networks)

Is 48 even 4G capable? Wasn't back in May.

Maybe since the takeover is complete it might not be far off?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

Worked a treat cheers.
    Where would the best place to buy a cover for one of these for? Anyone have experience with good cheap covers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

AFAIK 48 isn't a 4g band!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Worked a treat cheers.
    Where would the best place to buy a cover for one of these for? Anyone have experience with good cheap covers?
    Ebay, lots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Worked a treat cheers.

The official flip cover is great I find. It locks and unlocks the phone simply by opening or closing the cover due to the way the magnets in it are set up.

It does interfere with the compass however, causes no damage just makes it shift around wildly in apps that make use of the compass (gyroscope?), you can see it with maps.

Excellent cover though for the price, Amazon ship every colour to Ireland except blue (for some inane reason) meaning if you do go for that colour you need to parcel motel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

Updating now! 4.4.4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

flids.utd wrote: »
    Updating now! 4.4.4

Mine is still saying the device software is up to date when I check for system updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭flids.utd

Mines finished, it was a tesco UK unlocked and on O2 , I don't have time to mess with it now but the new dialler homepage will take a bit of getting used to looking at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

Mine just updated - bought as a tesco uk 8GB locked - happy days, I hope!!

tiegan wrote: »

Anyone on Vodafone get the update yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Yipeeeee!! 4.4.4

No longer have to display the really annoying "Tesco Mobile" on the screen. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

is the 4.4.4 update ok to go ahead and install then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Only got this phone a couple of days ago, very impressed so far. Battery still at 30% after a day and a half of light to moderate usage. Just installed the update and it's great to get rid of the operator name on the status bar. Quick question though...this update suggests that it offers immersive mode. I had been using an app to get this anyway but just uninstalled it to see if it would go into immersive mode without it. No joy though. Would anybody have any further info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

flids.utd wrote: »
    Updating now! 4.4.4
    tiegan wrote: »
    maximus02 wrote: »
    Yipeeeee!! 4.4.4

No longer have to display the really annoying "Tesco Mobile" on the screen. :)
    is the 4.4.4 update ok to go ahead and install then?
    Well if you're anything like me BC then you'll hold off installing and wait and see if any of the above people come back saying 'My Moto G is dead after updating to 4.4.4' :pac:

If after a couple of days reports are all good then I'll update. I used to be a very early adopter, now I let others be the guinea pigs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Leave the update to the guniea pigs! :D

KJnk9.gif

Go my eager guineas, go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Current OS is working grand for my needs,got the update notification earlier (48,bought sim free from Amazon few months ago) but not arsed updating it til it's useful to me

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Well if you're anything like me BC then you'll hold off installing and wait and see if any of the above people come back saying 'My Moto G is dead after updating to 4.4.4' :pac:

If after a couple of days reports are all good then I'll update. I used to be a very early adopter, now I let others be the guinea pigs :)

Well so far so good, no problems since updating, and since I work nights have been using it non stop for the last 12 hours. Looks stable enough at the moment. Give it the thumbs up!!

nc6000 wrote: »
    Anyone on Vodafone get the update yet?

I got it there last night.

• Advertisement

Only got this phone a couple of days ago, very impressed so far. Battery still at 30% after a day and a half of light to moderate usage. Just installed the update and it's great to get rid of the operator name on the status bar. Quick question though...this update suggests that it offers immersive mode. I had been using an app to get this anyway but just uninstalled it to see if it would go into immersive mode without it. No joy though. Would anybody have any further info on this?

I've see immersive mode on a number of apps before getting the 4.4.4 update (was on 4.4.2 since buying from Amazon). Presuming immersive mode is as I understand it to be, full screen without status bar or on screen buttons.

Example of an app with immersive mode: FB reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

How does immersive mode work?

I updated this morning and still see Meteor up in the top left corner of my screen.

Zymurgist wrote: »
    How does immersive mode work?

I updated this morning and still see Meteor up in the top left corner of my screen.

You need to change the settings under Wireless & Networks -> Mobile Networks and untick Show Mobile Network.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

Anyone using Plex or other steaming media on their phone should probably hold off this update or check their app is working on 4.4.4 before getting the new update as it breaks the streaming (since 4.4.3) on my Nexus :(

More info here:
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=71217
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=70877
    https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=72875

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I've see immersive mode on a number of apps before getting the 4.4.4 update (was on 4.4.2 since buying from Amazon). Presuming immersive mode is as I understand it to be, full screen without status bar or on screen buttons.

Example of an app with immersive mode: FB reader.

Ya some apps do have it but there's an app that forces all apps to enter into immersive mode so I'll just continue to use that. So far the update is smooth. The only issue I have had is that the launcher I was using (dodol launcher) kept force closing and switching out of default mode. But I've started using a different launcher and it's working fine so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Darn it, I downloaded it before checking this thread and I would have held off if I had. Basically all the apps work as normal (bit faster in fact) but the chrome browser won't work, can't look any webpages except when on a wifi signal. is there something I should have reset? Maybe I should just download an alternative browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Xtra vision are selling the Moto G for 150 euros but its locked to Meteor. Does anyone know if the unlock codes you buy of ebay would work?

catbear wrote: »
    Darn it, I downloaded it before checking this thread and I would have held off if I had. Basically all the apps work as normal (bit faster in fact) but the chrome browser won't work, can't look any webpages except when on a wifi signal. is there something I should have reset? Maybe I should just download an alternative browser.

I suggest just doing a reinstall of chrome on it. I noticed pages not loading "Oops google chrome cannot display this webpage yada yada" which stopped happening after restarting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Xtra vision are selling the Moto G for 150 euros but its locked to Meteor. Does anyone know if the unlock codes you buy of ebay would work?
    Yep, but that's the "old" model with no 4G or microSD slot, and only 8GB built-in storage (of which<5GB available).

You can get the 16GB model for the same money via Tesco/PM, or the newer LTE one for not much more (look for the threads in the Bargain Alerts forum).

Oh, and I'm not having any trouble with Chrome, post-4.4.4. Not noticing a whole lot of extra zippiness either, even though after installing the upgrade I cleared the cache partition for good measure. But it's nice to be able to switch off the network name in the toolbar.

• Advertisement

I'm still not getting any update. On Vodafone and have checked loads of times since yesterday but nothing.

Advertisement