Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

digitaldr wrote: »
    The one I got on Aliexpress was 100% perfect - looked identical to the original.

And was it easy to replace too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

waveform wrote: »
    Is this app the only way of syncing facebook events to your android calender?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shadowfury.facebookcalendarsync

Found it surprising as its automatically integrated on my iPad.

The default calender isn't great, I'd reccomend scrapping it and using Sunrise Calender instead. It connects to your Google Calender as well as Facebook, and the app is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Dunno if anyone is near the area
    but meath street today there is a chinese phone store closing down, just opposite the church, anyways they have the moto g on meteor for 99 euro.
    as I said i dunno if they have it still but they did have it this afternoon. sorry i couldnt post it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

nc6000 wrote: »
    And was it easy to replace too?

Very easy - see my post here.

Best to spend a small bit more and get the screen with front housing.

My screen has after cracking. The touch screen is fine though so I can think I can buy just the screen alone, not the digitizer. Anybody have any sources for replacement? All the vendors on Amazon won't deliver to Ireland

EDIT: just read the last few posts that seem to answer my question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Just broke the 7 hour screen on barrier, wondering what kind of battery life everyone else gets and if you are using dalvik or ART.
    Screenshot, https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmycmz72s1grma1/Screenshot_2014-07-02-23-11-36.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Battery life was excellent when I first got it, then it started lagging after downloading apps. Dowloaded clean master and battery docter apps and it's back initial performance. Really like this phone, no reason to go back to apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Anyone having issues with mobile data on their Moto G?

I've two Moto G's in the house, one with 3G H+
    The other has no mobile data.

Both were bought unlocked from Amazon last year while we lived in England. Last weekend we both bought bill pay SIM cards from 3. Mine works perfectly but I've discovered that this second Moto G thinks it is roaming!

So if I turn on roaming I can get mobile data but only EDGE connectivity.

Any idea what is causing this and more importantly how to fix it?

I've tried powering off the phone, removing the sim card and reinserting but no joy.

I have location services switched (GPS) on as well as Google location reporting so the phone knows it is in Ireland :)

Help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with mobile data on their Moto G?

I've two Moto G's in the house, one with 3G H+
    The other has no mobile data.

Both were bought unlocked from Amazon last year while we lived in England. Last weekend we both bought bill pay SIM cards from 3. Mine works perfectly but I've discovered that this second Moto G thinks it is roaming!

So if I turn on roaming I can get mobile data but only EDGE connectivity.

Any idea what is causing this and more importantly how to fix it?

I've tried powering off the phone, removing the sim card and reinserting but no joy.

I have location services switched (GPS) on as well as Google location reporting so the phone knows it is in Ireland :)

Help :(
    Try this please on the phone with issues.

Go to the dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#*
    Select "Phone Information".
    Scroll down to "Set preferred network type".
    Change this to "WCDMA only".

Check your signal again in a few seconds, it should disconnect and reconnect hopefully as 3G / H+.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Try this please on the phone with issues.

Go to the dialer and type in *#*#4636#*#*
    Select "Phone Information".
    Scroll down to "Set preferred network type".
    Change this to "WCDMA only".

Check your signal again in a few seconds, it should disconnect and reconnect hopefully as 3G / H+.

Hiya, tried that with no joy. Phone still set to roaming and EDGE...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hiya, tried that with no joy. Phone still set to roaming and EDGE...
    Then its time to call 3 about the SIM itself, account might not be setup right. Was it ported over from another provider?

advertsfox wrote: »
    Then its time to call 3 about the SIM itself, account might not be setup right. Was it ported over from another provider?

No brand new sim. I've asked on the 3 forum but thought I'd ask here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

Thinking of getting this phone. It seems to be cheapest of Meteor.ie I'm with Vodafone and they don't sell it. Is it possible to buy off Meteor, buy an unlock code off eBay and then wipe the Meteor stuff off the phone? I know Amazon sell it but it's more expensive.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Hogan24 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting this phone. It seems to be cheapest of Meteor.ie I'm with Vodafone and they don't sell it. Is it possible to buy off Meteor, buy an unlock code off eBay and then wipe the Meteor stuff off the phone? I know Amazon sell it but it's more expensive.

Thanks
    I bought my wife's one from meteor, it was unlocked with no bloatware and it then locks to whatever network you first insert a sim card from.

I bought my wife's one from meteor, it was unlocked with no bloatware and it then locks to whatever network you first insert a sim card from.

Oh ya? I read that before somewhere but thought it was a myth! Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Oh ya? I read that before somewhere but thought it was a myth! Thanks..

It has been mentioned a few times in this thread :)

I bought the phone in Meteor and I'm using my Tesco Mobile card :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks
    Just be aware that meteor are selling the now old version of the moto g, a newer version is available for only a little more and it has 4g and expandable storage. Tesco direct seem to be the cheapest for it.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Just be aware that meteor are selling the now old version of the moto g, a newer version is available for only a little more and it has 4g and exolandable storage. Tesco direct seem to be the cheapest for it.

Cheers, but will the Tesco Direct phone be unlocked like the Meteor phone is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Cheers, but will the Tesco Direct phone be unlocked like the Meteor phone is?

Hi, prices for the 4G phones, with SD slot...

£139[€175] locked to Tesco UK....unlock code in or around €2-€3 plus factor in €3.50 PM cost UK to Ireland. (unavailable at the mo)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-black/171-1231.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=171-1231

SIM free, not locked, £149[€188]...and the PM €3.50....

http://www.tesco.com/direct/motorola-moto-g-4g-black/404-7860.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=404-7860

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hi, prices for the 4G phones, with SD slot...

£139[€175] locked to Tesco UK....unlock code in or around €2-€3 plus factor in €3.50 PM cost UK to Ireland. (unavailable at the mo)

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-mobile-motorola-moto-g-4g-black/171-1231.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=171-1231

SIM free, not locked, £149[€188]...and the PM €3.50....

http://www.tesco.com/direct/motorola-moto-g-4g-black/404-7860.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=404-7860

extra £10 off with code TDX-KYNK
    I ordered one yesterday and this code works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

loyatemu wrote: »
    extra £10 off with code TDX-KYNK
    I ordered one yesterday and this code works.

Thanks, should cover unlocking and postage to PM, with change left.....good one!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Shame the tesco mobile 4g version is out of stock, might have to splash out the extra tenner for the sim free :o

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Can anybody help please??

I bought the locked version from Tesco Direct thinking because I'm with Tesco already that I'd be fine. But my old phone didn't have a micro sim so I ordered one from Tesco here.

So I've just activated the new sim there over the phone and tried it in the Moto G and it doesn't work. Has anyone here used a Tesco Ireland sim in the locked version of the phone? I'm thinking that it must only be unlocked to Tesco in the UK and not here so I should buy an unlock code online.

However, I'm worried because no screen comes up looking for a code when I switch it on as others have described on this thread! So where do I put the code when I get it from Ebay?!

Any help is appreciated because now I have no phone! :(((((

EDIT: Actually a screen comes up asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN". Is that it? Please say it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Delira wrote: »
    Can anybody help please??

I bought the locked version from Tesco Direct thinking because I'm with Tesco already that I'd be fine. But my old phone didn't have a micro sim so I ordered one from Tesco here.

So I've just activated the new sim there over the phone and tried it in the Moto G and it doesn't work. Has anyone here used a Tesco Ireland sim in the locked version of the phone? I'm thinking that it must only be unlocked to Tesco in the UK and not here so I should buy an unlock code online.

However, I'm worried because no screen comes up looking for a code when I switch it on as others have described on this thread! So where do I put the code when I get it from Ebay?!

Any help is appreciated because now I have no phone! :(((((

EDIT: Actually a screen comes up asking for a "SIM network unlock PIN". Is that it? Please say it is!

It's locked to Tesco UK so to use it on Tesco Ireland or any other network you will need to get it unlocked. Search eBay for moto g unlock prime_technologies. I used them yesterday and had the code within 5 hours. Only cost €1.70

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    It's locked to Tesco UK so to use it on Tesco Ireland or any other network you will need to get it unlocked. Search eBay for moto g unlock prime_technologies. I used them yesterday and had the code within 5 hours. Only cost €1.70

Thanks a mill, just bought one there. Fingers crossed it works now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

Folks,

I'm another of the broken screen brigade.

Phone works fine, bar the aesthetic look. How do you if you just need a new front housing or you need to replace the digitiser?

I did search the thread but no answer and don't fancy trawling 124 pages of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Post #1737, on page 116 gives you the info you need. I understand that the glass and digitizer are bonded together in a manufacturing process. I reckon that it would be more trouble than it's worth to salvage the original digitizer, and I'd repeat the advice to buy a complete glass, digitizer, and front frame assembly for ease of replacement. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Vaioer

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    Post #1737, on page 116 gives you the info you need. I understand that the glass and digitizer are bonded together in a manufacturing process. I reckon that it would be more trouble than it's worth to salvage the original digitizer, and I'd repeat the advice to buy a complete glass, digitizer, and front frame assembly for ease of replacement. :)

Yeah, saw that post and it looks the way to go. Was just trying to be a cheapskate.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimmyjimmy09

nc6000 wrote: »
    Will we be getting the 4.4.3 update anytime soon?

im still on 4.4.2 ? anyone know when 4.4.3 will be released for the motog ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

im still on 4.4.2 ? anyone know when 4.4.3 will be released for the motog ?

The word at the moment is while some countries got the 4.4.3 update, its now on hold and 4.4.4 is what we will end up getting at some point.

Advertisement