Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jimmyjimmy09

who knows when that will happen lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

4.4.4 already exists for the Google Play Edition of this phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 podgey1992

loyatemu wrote: »
    extra £10 off with code TDX-KYNK
    I ordered one yesterday and this code works.

Hi, how do I get it delivered to Ireland?

It's asking for a postcode and I can't go any further without one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

podgey1992 wrote: »
    Hi, how do I get it delivered to Ireland?

It's asking for a postcode and I can't go any further without one

Use Parcel Motel and get it delivered to their Northern Ireland depot - costs €3.50 (though this is about to increase to €3.95)

Received my Moto G 4G yesterday, early impressions are its a very nice phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Use Parcel Motel and get it delivered to their Northern Ireland depot - costs €3.50 (though this is about to increase to €3.95)

How long did it take the phone to arrive?

• Advertisement

Use ## and get it delivered to their Northern Ireland depot - costs €3.50 (though this is about to increase to €3.95)

I'm assuming they then send it down to a parcel motel closer to me? And that I don't have to collect it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gerrykin22

I'm assuming they then send it down to a parcel motel closer to me? And that I don't have to collect it there?
    Hi.
    You have to register with parcel motel . You can choose a motel close
    to you. You will be given a customer number (pmid).
    When ordering stuff you can use parcel motels northern ireland post code and phone number.
    There is a problem when ordering from tesco direct you can't
    enter your pmid until at or after checkout stage.

gerrykin22 wrote: »
    Hi.
    You have to register with parcel motel . You can choose a motel close
    to you. You will be given a customer number (pmid).
    When ordering stuff you can use parcel motels northern ireland post code and phone number.

Cheers,

I think i'll get it off amazon using parcel motel. I've put in their address and post code but didn't get a phone number, is this important do you think?

Coming in at 200 euro for the 4g 8gb version of the phone

EDIT: ordered it now anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Cheers,

I think i'll get it off amazon using parcel motel. I've put in their address and post code but didn't get a phone number, is this important do you think?

Coming in at 200 euro for the 4g 8gb version of the phone

EDIT: ordered it now anyway!
    Don't know why you went that route, could have saved yourself around €35 if you ordered from Tesco direct like the majority of people on here have. Also no need to use parcel motel when getting it from amazon. It's free delivery to Ireland on orders over £25.

gerrykin22 wrote: »

you can enter your PMID into the "Flat number" field when confirming the delivery address.

• Advertisement

Aspiring wrote: »
    How long did it take the phone to arrive?

I ordered on Friday, it arrived in my local Parcel Motel yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm getting a replacement phone for the father. Does anyone know if the 4G is worth getting over the standard "old" model Moto G?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm getting a replacement phone for the father. Does anyone know if the 4G is worth getting over the standard "old" model Moto G?

Only you or him can answer that. Would he benefit from faster 4g speeds (is it available where he lives) and does he need the expandable storage? They are the only differences.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Don't know why you went that route, could have saved yourself around €35 if you ordered from Tesco direct like the majority of people on here have. Also no need to use parcel motel when getting it from amazon. It's free delivery to Ireland on orders over £25.

I don't see how, it being 190 euro from tesco direct and me paying 200.

Also the seller wouldn't deliver to ireland, hence parcel motel

With the £10 discount it only comes to about 175 euro.

You must have been looking at the sim free version. The Tesco locked one is cheaper and can be unlocked for less than €2

You must have been looking at the sim free version. The Tesco locked one is cheaper and can be unlocked for less than €2

whoops

Locked version is out of stock atm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyone know how to change the app defaults on the Moto g?

There is no "Application Manager" that I can see when I go into settings - apps, sp Google is not helping.

Basically I when I tap a youtube video on Facebook it automatically opens the YouTube app and crashes.
    I want to bring back up the choice of apps I can open it with, or set an alternative app as the default.

Any way of doing this natively on stock android?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

Try going into settings, apps, scroll down to the youtube app.
    There should be a launch by default box press the clear defaults button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Only you or him can answer that. Would he benefit from faster 4g speeds (is it available where he lives) and does he need the expandable storage? They are the only differences.

I suppose what I was really asking is, forgetting the 4G aspect, is the new model that much better that I should get it, or is there not much difference between the two that it doesn't matter which one I get?

EDIT: Compared them on GSM Arena.
    Wow, they're basically the same phone: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=6355

I was under the impression that the body had changed but you can probably even use the same back covers on both phones. Seems like they just took the Moto G and added SD and 4G and kept everything the same. I have the Nexus 7 2012 and 2013 and they're hugely different so wasnt' expecting this level of similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

waveform wrote: »
    Anyone know how to change the app defaults on the Moto g?

There is no "Application Manager" that I can see when I go into settings - apps, sp Google is not helping.

Basically I when I tap a youtube video on Facebook it automatically opens the YouTube app and crashes.
    I want to bring back up the choice of apps I can open it with, or set an alternative app as the default.

Any way of doing this natively on stock android?

Cheers.

Even so, a YT video should play in the YT app no problems.

It shouldn't force close or crash.

Is yours up to date, you can check on Play.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

D_BEAR wrote: »
    Try going into settings, apps, scroll down to the youtube app.
    There should be a launch by default box press the clear defaults button.

Cheers for the reply, Unfortunately the clear defaults button is greyed out and next to it, it is "No Defaults set."

Yet when I go to play a video I don't get any options to open it up in other apps.
    Even so, a YT video should play in the YT app no problems.

It shouldn't force close or crash.

Is yours up to date, you can check on Play.

All my apps are upto date, they update automatically.
    There's the odd app that "needs my approval" but I always update them as soon as I see the notification.

waveform wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, Unfortunately the clear defaults button is greyed out and next to it, it is "No Defaults set."

Yet when I go to play a video I don't get any options to open it up in other apps.

All my apps are upto date, they update automatically.
    There's the odd app that "needs my approval" but I always update them as soon as I see the notification.

Have you tried uninstalling YT app, and then seeing what happens when you tap a vid in FB.

You can easily re-install later.

Also, have you cleared all data and cache in the TY App settings.

You can also clear cache partition and dalvik cache, if you have access to recovery, or use this App, which requires root.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.specsoft.clearcache&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Two issues with my Moto G that are really getting on my nerves:

There's scrolling lag when charging and negative RAM showing up when I try and view the RAM usage in running applications because it seems to measure it in bytes (see attached screenshot). Anyone else having these problems?

Edit: Bytes not bits.

Two issues with my Moto G that are really getting on my nerves:

There's scrolling lag when charging and negative RAM showing up when I try and view the RAM usage in running applications because it seems to measure it in bytes (see attached screenshot). Anyone else having these problems?

Edit: Bytes not bits.

You're showing all your background services there, "cached services" not running services.

Have you tried a different Launcher, like Nova, it scrolls very nicely, and it is very configurable.

I have no idea why the system reports negative RAM, but it can't be right....I have never seen it before.

Also, the figure is allegedly used RAM it reports 1.3GB free RAM?? On a device with 1GB RAM?? Weird.

Android dumps anything it needs to dump, especially Kitkat, and it only uses the RAM it needs....

spare RAM is the enemy of Android, it liokes to fill it's belly with available RAM.

No-one really needs task killers in Android, as the memory management is pretty good already.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Has anyone ever had a voice message come on saying 'please unlock device' when listening to music? It's happened the last couple of times I've been listening to Spotify and would have runkeeper on at the same time. It stops the music and says 'please unlock device'. I then unlock it and press play and that's it, nothing else on the screen and no message saying what's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    Has anyone ever had a voice message come on saying 'please unlock device' when listening to music? It's happened the last couple of times I've been listening to Spotify and would have runkeeper on at the same time. It stops the music and says 'please unlock device'. I then unlock it and press play and that's it, nothing else on the screen and no message saying what's wrong?

It's Google Now doing that:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/hSB-vB0Taes

Other users of other devices saying it's a headphone problem? I have no idea if that's true...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭WhatYaSay

It's Google Now doing that:

Other users of other devices saying it's a headphone problem? I have no idea if that's true...

That sounds exactly like the problem. Looks like I've a bit of research to do. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

It is a new EU law regarding volume levels when listening to music.

Advertisement