Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

ezra_pound wrote: »

Now it says it's a hoax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Oh I thought I could just set the pin request now through the new phone? I think I have the puk somewhere

No, your sim is locked, you need the PUK!!

If you have it, and it is usually provided with the sim pack, be careful....

you have 10 goes only, after that you would need to get a new sim, as your existing one would be permanently locked.

If it fails, don't continue or guess, contact your provider or on-line, depending on the provider, you should get it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I'm sure this has been asked many times before but can't search thread on mobile so I'll ask, would there be any problems using the 4g version here on Three? i.e. will LTE definitely work here on Three once the phones unlocked.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Battery is being hammered on this recently, think a factory reset may be on order

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Battery is being hammered on this recently, think a factory reset may be on order

why not just try to find the source of the battery drain??

Otherwise, you may have a repeat performance!!

even just looking at Battery in Settings may give a clue.

also, cpu spy from Play, and Better Battery Stats is very good.

I can't post links at the moment, but search XDA for both those apps, and they are both free on Play......

XDA will have massive threads on them, giving lots of explanatory stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,996 ✭✭✭Doge

A while back I promised to show an example of how well the Moto G's mic performs in Night Clubs and venues with loud music.

I lost that video since, but here are some other examples I recorded:

It was really put to the test @ Revelation Sound System in the Pavillion last night,
    notice the huge stack of speakers behind me. I'm quite pleased with the amount of bass that came out in the recording without getting distorted:

I finally managed to find a direct link to the video i lost of King Kong Company back in April.
    Had to embed the post and extract the link, wtf facebook???

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=496172923843663

And here's some live drums outside just for something different:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Turtlez

Love my Moto G :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Turtlez

Love my Moto G :-)

ROOT
    Pick out of one of LOADS of ROMS over on XDA
    Kepp any MOTO G User happy....
    SlimKat on mine @ d moment seems bout the
    best with a few more tweaks and tricks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Been hit with a battery drain issue over the last few days, I'm not a heavy user or the kind of person who will sit and play with the phone, I'll only unlock it to check or send messages. Little or no calls in the time I've noticed the drain, no videos youtube etc, 3g is off wifi is on. Location is set to battery save nothing has changed in terms of app/settings.

Usually I'd be charging every 2/3 days currently im at 12% battery with the screen showing in Battery in settings as having used 43% in 1day 2 hours, yet when I click into the graph I can see the intervils when the screen was on, and they are all brief periods to check a message etc.

The brightness is set as it always is pretty low approx 1cm from being totally dim. screen time out is 30 seconds but I manually lock the phone usually when I'm done.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

advertsfox wrote: »
    Also ordered the new Motorola Grip Case off Amazon for €15, looks great and snaps on the back and my vinly will fit it too.

71UOXa7d5XL._SL500_.jpg
    This arrived today and I must say, its the best cover concept I have ever used on any phone I have owned. I'm a big fan of OEM and this is the perfect example of it. Fits perfect, stylish and non slippy with some lovely bump protection without being vulgar - I highly recommend it.

Its €15 with shipping to a PM address, €18.50 total.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

waveform wrote: »
    A while back I promised to show an example of how well the Moto G's mic performs in Night Clubs and venues with loud music.

I lost that video since, but here are some other examples I recorded:

It was really put to the test @ Revelation Sound System in the Pavillion last night,
    notice the huge stack of speakers behind me. I'm quite pleased with the amount of bass that came out in the recording without getting distorted:

Cheers, it really does well! i used to hate when my Galaxy Nexus was used the sound was great until it got loud then got very distorted :( , heres an example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

why not just try to find the source of the battery drain??

Otherwise, you may have a repeat performance!!

even just looking at Battery in Settings may give a clue.

also, cpu spy from Play, and Better Battery Stats is very good.

I can't post links at the moment, but search XDA for both those apps, and they are both free on Play......

XDA will have massive threads on them, giving lots of explanatory stuff.

Better Battery stats needs root on kitkat as far as I recall.

calex71 wrote: »
    Been hit with a battery drain issue over the last few days, I'm not a heavy user or the kind of person who will sit and play with the phone, I'll only unlock it to check or send messages. Little or no calls in the time I've noticed the drain, no videos youtube etc, 3g is off wifi is on. Location is set to battery save nothing has changed in terms of app/settings.

Usually I'd be charging every 2/3 days currently im at 12% battery with the screen showing in Battery in settings as having used 43% in 1day 2 hours, yet when I click into the graph I can see the intervils when the screen was on, and they are all brief periods to check a message etc.

The brightness is set as it always is pretty low approx 1cm from being totally dim. screen time out is 30 seconds but I manually lock the phone usually when I'm done.

Any ideas?

Well, over 1 day is usually considered good, with light usage, but you say you normally get 2/3 days with a similar usage profile.

Do you allow wifi to stay on, when screen sleeps??

You can set it not to, or only during charge, in Settings WiFi/Advanced.

The increased data usage referred to under "never" refers to mobile data, and you are switched off, so no probs there.

I would get CPU Spy Plus from Play...it is very useful for showing just what % time your device spends in deep sleep, and other freqs....it can give a clue to if there is an app misbehaving...

see my screenshots, showing almost 80% Battery after 1 d 6 hrs...

and Deep Sleep in CPU Spy shows almost 80%

IMG_20140630_074947.jpg

IMG_20140630_075013.jpg

IMG_20140630_075110.jpg

IMG_20140630_075038.jpg

Another useful app, if you are not getting deep sleep, is Better Battery Stats, which takes a bit of setting up, but it's worth it.

It can shows which apps or processes are keeping your processor awake, the "wake locks" which are the bane of Android!!!

http://manojprasaddevelopers.blogspot.ie/2012/02/what-is-wakelock.html
    What is WakeLock?

In order to prolong battery life, over time Android devices will first dim, then turn off the screen, before turning off the CPU.

Wake Locks are a Power Manager system Service feature, available to your
    applications to control the power state of the host device.

Wake Locks can be used to keep the CPU running, prevent the screen from dimming, prevent the screen from turning off, and prevent the keyboard backlight from turning off.

Creating and holding Wake Locks can have a dramatic influence on the battery drain associated with your application.

It’s good practice to use Wake Locks only when strictly necessary, for as short a time as needed, and to release them as soon as possible.

BBS makes hunting down and eliminating as many of these unnecessary WL's as possible easy, relatively speaking.

If you check on XDA, you will find dedicated threads on both of those Apps, started by the devs, and useful if you need help, you can even submit logs, which can be debugged to show what is keeping your CPU running in sleep mode, and therefore it will help get better battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Will we be getting the 4.4.3 update anytime soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

nc6000 wrote: »
    Will we be getting the 4.4.3 update anytime soon?

Latest is 4.4.4

degsie wrote: »
    Latest is 4.4.4

I didn't know another Android version had been released so soon. I wonder will we very seeing this version?

I didn't know another Android version had been released so soon. I wonder will we very seeing this version?
    A few months, Google for Android L. 4.4.4 just fixes an SSL bug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hogan24

I currently have a Nokia Lumia 800 with an 8mp camera. Camera is very important to me. I know the Moto G is a 5mp but in terms of pic quality is the Moto G a lot inferior?

My Lumia 800 is battered so it needs changing and the Moto G is appealing to me, but curious about the difference in cameras.

Any help would be great thanks.

Hogan24 wrote: »
    I currently have a Nokia Lumia 800 with an 8mp camera. Camera is very important to me. I know the Moto G is a 5mp but in terms of pic quality is the Moto G a lot inferior?

My Lumia 800 is battered so it needs changing and the Moto G is appealing to me, but curious about the difference in cameras.

Any help would be great thanks.
    I know how you feel, I went from a 20MP Z1 to this and it can be a decent camera (I find the quick response helpful, I've took plenty a woeful shot with the Xperia). Check out the comparisons on GSM Arena, it takes great natural light shots and can take good inside ones too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=6376&idPhone3=6033

advertsfox wrote: »
    I know how you feel, I went from a 20MP Z1 to this and it can be a decent camera (I find the quick response helpful, I've took plenty a woeful shot with the Xperia). Check out the comparisons on GSM Arena, it takes great natural light shots and can take good inside ones too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/piccmp.php3?idType=3&idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=6376&idPhone3=6033

I feel the camera is an area that this phone really lacks for me, but for the price there has to be a trade off somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Best place to get a replacement screen for Moto G?
    Just the screen is cracked, I'll replace it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The camera is not great, but still fine for general shots and sharing moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

Best place to get a replacement screen for Moto G?
    Just the screen is cracked, I'll replace it myself.

See post #1737 of this thread :)

Is this app the only way of syncing facebook events to your android calender?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shadowfury.facebookcalendarsync

Found it surprising as its automatically integrated on my iPad.

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    See post #1737 of this thread :)

How is the replacement screen quality wise compared to the original Moto G screen?

I'm thinking of replacing my screen as I seem to have got some sort of oil mark\smudge on the screen which I can't shift.

waveform wrote: »
    Is this app the only way of syncing facebook events to your android calender?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shadowfury.facebookcalendarsync

Found it surprising as its automatically integrated on my iPad.

Pretty sure it is all integrated, mine pulls eveything in when FB syncs in any case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

How is the replacement screen quality wise compared to the original Moto G screen?

I'm thinking of replacing my screen as I seem to have got some sort of oil mark\smudge on the screen which I can't shift.

The one I got on Aliexpress was 100% perfect - looked identical to the original.

Advertisement