Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Pacifico wrote: »
    Is there really no way of removing the carrier name from the notification bar and without rooting?!
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    I doubt it, it's not the carrier choice to put it there so much as it is the phone's own code. It's a silly place to put it really.

I flashed the US build to my missus Moto G, it's on 4.4.3 and no carrier shows in the notification bar. It never did but there is now a preference to disable it:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/05/motorola-fixes-the-carrier-id-status-bar-annoyance-in-4-4-3-update-by-making-it-completely-optional/

nexusae0_Screenshot_2014-06-04-22-19-53_thumb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

advertsfox wrote: »
    I flashed the US build to my missus Moto G, it's on 4.4.3 and no carrier shows in the notification bar. It never did but there is now a preference to disable it:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/06/05/motorola-fixes-the-carrier-id-status-bar-annoyance-in-4-4-3-update-by-making-it-completely-optional/

nexusae0_Screenshot_2014-06-04-22-19-53_thumb.png

Hi advertsfox, I also flashed the US Retail ROM, back in the day of KK's first roll-out.

I have a custom recovery and of course a rooted phone, plus there was something else in a system file, I think the notification about bootloader unlock removed, and a SystemUI patch to give H symbol where US only gives 3G.

I have blocked notifications of the new KK update, because I have read read I need Stock Recovery and System files must be as per original.

Did you encounter any problems with the OTA, if you have any or all of the above listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

How long did it take for 4.4.2 on the UK build versus US. Would it be the same for 4.4.3/4 would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tosty55

Do Tesco shops in the north have a mobile phone section where I could buy the Moto G or is Tescomobile only an online store?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

*Viber Issues

Has anyone got call issues with viber on kitkat? Viber has never worked properly on my G kitkat, it was fine on 4.3. The latest version of viber won't allow me to pick up incoming calls or make a call. Messages are fine but calls are a no no?.

I managed to get an older version of viber 4.1.1 to partially work. It often doesnt notify of incoming calls unless I have the app open on the screen in front of me.

Uninstalled reinstalled a dozen time to no effect. So annoying opening viber to find 5 missed calls.

Am I the only one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Tosty55 wrote: »
    Do Tesco shops in the north have a mobile phone section where I could buy the Moto G or is Tescomobile only an online store?

Yeah te one in Newry does, but id ring ahead tbh, i bought mine through the site and collected it instore, saves a wasted trip

How long did it take for 4.4.2 on the UK build versus US. Would it be the same for 4.4.3/4 would you say?

Still no one has answered :(

Still no one has answered :(
    Days / weeks maybe in between, 4.4.3 was out nearly immediately for my missus phone - same for loads of phones actually, even non stock ROMs. Googles altering their methods for incremental updates now.

Side note, I bought a Moto G for myself from Meteor online, using a Z1 now but fancy a phone that fits my tiny hands better ;) Ordering a new Motorola grip case and will be flashing CM11 pronto.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Days / weeks maybe in between, 4.4.3 was out nearly immediately for my missus phone - same for loads of phones actually, even non stock ROMs. Googles altering their methods for incremental updates now.

Side note, I bought a Moto G for myself from Meteor online, using a Z1 now but fancy a phone that fits my tiny hands better ;) Ordering a new Motorola grip case and will be flashing CM11 pronto.

Hi again advertsfox...can I politely ask again:
    Hi advertsfox, I also flashed the US Retail ROM, back in the day of KK's first roll-out.

I have a custom recovery and of course a rooted phone, plus there was something else in a system file, I think the notification about bootloader unlock removed, and a SystemUI patch to give H symbol where US only gives 3G.

I have blocked notifications of the new KK update, because I have read I need Stock Recovery and System files must be as per original.

Did you encounter any problems with the OTA, if you have any or all of the above listed?

If no answer, that's OK, just in case you might know....

Cheers and thanks

Hi again advertsfox...can I politely ask again:

If no answer, that's OK, just in case you might know....

Cheers and thanks
    Didn't see that, my apologies.

Yes I believe it won't update because it will reboot and try run commands for the stock version.

I recommend flashing the ZIP linked below in CWM yourself (run a nandroid backup first though).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53215844&postcount=77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Had picked this phone up for the missus awhile ago.Problem is she giving out about storage space!.was wondering if this is any good,and if it will work on it?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GXYKVM4?cache=d5a103a09618c2dbea16b4bd5c030ca5&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1403608211&sr=8-3#ref=mp_s_a_1_3

honda boi wrote: »
    Had picked this phone up for the missus awhile ago.Problem is she giving out about storage space!.was wondering if this is any good,and if it will work on it?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00GXYKVM4?cache=d5a103a09618c2dbea16b4bd5c030ca5&pi=SY200_QL40&qid=1403608211&sr=8-3#ref=mp_s_a_1_3

Just for info, check your version of Android:
    Moto X, Moto G and Droid Mini/Ultra/Maxx Running Android 4.4

Android 4.4 KitKat update disables external USB storage access on both Moto X, Moto G and the Droid series (Mini, Ultra, Maxx). You now need to use a third party App to access the Meenova reader (or any other external card readers or USB sticks). Though now you don't need root privilege to write to USB storage on Moto G. We tested and verified the following options, all Apps available from Play Store:
    Use App "Nexus Media Importer".
    Use App "OTG Disk Explorer".
    Use App "Total Commander" (free) and "USB Stick Plugin" (free and paid).
    Install both Apps.
    Plug-in the microSD card reader.
    Start up "Total Commander" and it will show "USB Stick Plugin" as an option.
    Select the "USB Stick Plugin".

Moto G Running 174.44.1 or 176.44.1 build of Android 4.4

The recent 174.44.1 build and 176.44.1 build of Android 4.4 update for Moto G re-enable external USB storage -- after installing the update, you no longer need the Apps listed above to use Meenova reader; you can access it directly from file manager Apps and other Apps. External USB storage is now located at "/storage/usbdisk".

I would take a look at this meenova, especially for the missus, nice colours...;)

$12 +$3 postage world-wide......

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/

https://shopmeenova.appspot.com/st/p/m3r.html

$15 = €11......

buuttt, you also need to buy a micro-usb card, up to 32GB capacity. :(

But, the product you link is good, and 32GB included is mighty.....and it's available below, for €19.93, delivered free to Ireland:

http://www.memoryc.com/usb/otg-usb-drives/32gb-transcend-jetflash-380g-otg-usb2-flash-drive-silver-edition.html

Bought the Moto G today.

Went to tesco in enniskillen, the 16gb was for £149 locked on TescoMobile, which was about €175. On ebay bought an unlock code, for €2.50, got it unlocked. Bought a case and screen protector on ebay as well for about €5.

Overall price about €180, great phone so far.

Moto G arrived today from Meteor (I'm eMobile but original intention was to always toss the non fitted Meteor SIM so the SL will lock to me).

You have to love the €149 price ;) Already ordered 2 Dbrand vinyls, used these on my Nexus 4 and love them (got the missus a yellow one, I ordere the white carbon).

https://dbrand.com/shop/moto-g

Also ordered the new Motorola Grip Case off Amazon for €15, looks great and snaps on the back and my vinly will fit it too.

71UOXa7d5XL._SL500_.jpg

Finally, I unlocked the bootloader - flashed CWM, CyanogenMod11 with 4.4.4 (guide below) and a new boot image (below) and I'm very happy altogether.

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_falcon

2z9gqrs.jpg

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2686441

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Has anyone having trouble with there bootloader my moto g saying device bootloader unlockably and wont give me an option for request unlock key thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Not sure if it has been mentioned before but if you buy this phone in a Meteor/eMobile store, the phone will get a SIM lock to the first type of SIM card you insert.

So if you're on 48 or Tesco you can buy a Meteor phone and use the other SIM card as long as you insert that SIM the first time you run the phone.

Not sure about other retailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads got a moto g from amazon today but it's saying sim/ruim card is locked any ideas what that is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Lads got a moto g from amazon today but it's saying sim/ruim card is locked any ideas what that is?

You have a pin on your sim. It's what you would have entered when you switched on your old phone.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    You have a pin on your sim. It's what you would have entered when you switched on your old phone.

Ya but it's not working when I enter it for some reason?

I got it... I'd too de activate the pin request on the sim

• Advertisement

So since I bought my Moto G in the UK (NIreland) from tesco it is running some tesco branded ROM I'm guessing, in the about phone menu it mentions that the system version is TescoSL.en.GB.

When I turned on the phone for the first time and I had to choose a country and language it gave me no choice for Ireland, only United Kingdom, even after I unlocked my phone from the tesco network it still did not list Ireland, maybe I have to flash a generic Ireland ROM, I'm wondering what system version people have that bought the phone from meteor.

Also even though my phone works fine with my O2 sim now it sometimes for some reason switches over to a UK network, so instead of displaying O2-IRL it suddenly displays EE or VodafoneUK and says that I'm roaming, maybe this has something to do with the fact that the phone has a tesco branded ROM.

Any ideas on how to maybe get rid of the tesco branding, I've seen how to flash a generic UK retail ROM online but hey, I'm not in the UK.

Thanks, any help appreciated, this might not even be a big problem, and the network switching could be due to me living close to the border and constantly having bad O2 coverage. If anything this might help some other people wondering about the same thing(s).

Tosty55 wrote: »
    So since I bought my Moto G in the UK (NIreland) from tesco it is running some tesco branded ROM I'm guessing, in the about phone menu it mentions that the system version is TescoSL.en.GB.

When I turned on the phone for the first time and I had to choose a country and language it gave me no choice for Ireland, only United Kingdom, even after I unlocked my phone from the tesco network it still did not list Ireland, maybe I have to flash a generic Ireland ROM, I'm wondering what system version people have that bought the phone from meteor.

Any ideas on how to maybe get rid of the tesco branding, I've seen how to flash a generic UK retail ROM online but hey, I'm not in the UK.

Thanks, any help appreciated, this might not even be a big problem, and the network switching could be due to me living close to the border and constantly having bad O2 coverage. If anything this might help some other people wondering about the same thing(s).

The rom everyone here has is the generic UK rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Trying to figure if I should pay €250 - €280 for a second hand 32GB HTC One M7 on Adverts rather than the €200 + €20 (32gb sd card) for the new 4G Moto-G.

Any opinions?

You need a PUK1 code from your provider, but you can bypass/disable SIM code request somewhere in settings/security/set up SIM lock, but that is a bad policy.....

PUK is Personal Unlock Key.....

you should have it, in whatever SIM pack you got, but if you ring your provider, they can do it.

You need a PUK1 code from your provider, but you can bypass/disable SIM code request somewhere in settings/security/set up SIM lock, but that is a bad policy.....

PUK is Personal Unlock Key.....

you should have it, in whatever SIM pack you got, but if you ring your provider, they can do it.

I put the sim into the old phone, turned off pin request and put it into the new phone then no prob

I put the sim into the old phone, turned off pin request and put it into the new phone then no prob

That's OK until someone robs it or you lose it or whatever....

you should contact your provider now and get the PUK code, unlock the locked SIM, and reset your own new PIN.

Your new phone deserves this ;)

That's OK until someone robs it or you lose it or whatever....

you should contact your provider now and get the PUK code, unlock the locked SIM, and reset your own new PIN.

Your new phone deserves this ;)

Oh I thought I could just set the pin request now through the new phone? I think I have the puk somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Varkov wrote: »
    Trying to figure if I should pay €250 - €280 for a second hand 32GB HTC One M7 on Adverts rather than the €200 + €20 (32gb sd card) for the new 4G Moto-G.

Any opinions?

The HTC One is a better phone spec-wise (Aside from Battery). Problem is, the one on Adverts is used (I assume?), so you're not getting the full warranty, it could be a bit run down.
    You also need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with a big phone. The Moto G is just about the right size for me, I'd rather not use anything bigger, but that part comes down to your own preferences.

I ordered a Moto G 4G from Expansys for €209.99 there yesterday myself. Have a 32GB MicroSD already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

DjFlin wrote: »
    The HTC One is a better phone spec-wise (Aside from Battery). Problem is, the one on Adverts is used (I assume?), so you're not getting the full warranty, it could be a bit run down.
    You also need to ask yourself how comfortable you are with a big phone. The Moto G is just about the right size for me, I'd rather not use anything bigger, but that part comes down to your own preferences.

I ordered a Moto G 4G from Expansys for €209.99 there yesterday myself. Have a 32GB MicroSD already.

I was thinking as much. Even if the phone is physically in good nick, the battery (non removable) could be run down and no warranty.

My line up has been Desire > Sensation > Smart > Galaxy Mini > Sensation > SII so I'd be fairly used to the Moto-G's screen size.

Think I'll go for the Motorola alright.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Varkov wrote: »

Any opinions?

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/moto-g-4g-lte-black-tesco-139-00-149-00-sim-free-1938953

Advertisement