Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 [aaaarrrghhh bitching and moaning]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭TheTacticsGuy

5uspect wrote: »
    PC. TBH I feel like it's a lottery when ever I fire up BF4. At the weekend I had some great games, but tonight was pure frustration as was the entire week after launch.

I haven't had a game infuriate me as much as this. I've never been a great player but I've always had fun with Battlefield over the years. I'm struggling to find the fun in this game. When it's good it's great but those moments are too rare.

I'm beginning to think I should just give up on it. Maybe this Battlefield isn't for me.

I would consider myself a good player (above average at least) but I still have to agree with this. Those BF moments that everyone loves having just don't seem to happen that much any more. It's 5 weeks since BF4 released and I still can't get into the meat of it. Remember those epic moments in maps like Damavand, Karkand, Kharg, Seine, etc. Ahhhh memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wish they would introduce caps on classes. Every squad should have at least one of each. Snipers do have their place, and they're great for covering point captures and all that, but it really gets on my nerves when there's too many of them. I was playing a game last week on Rogue Transmission and at the start of the game, nearly half the team were climbing up onto the tall support! Same map, start of the game, full helicopter takes off, all in the same squad, and when he's flying over the tall support, the pilot (a sniper) just bails out, leaving the rest of us stuck in the helicopter as it blows up a few seconds later when it hits the side. We call him on it and he's like 'Can ya not just hit f1 no?'

On the other side, then, there are never any medics around, they need to sort that out. Being revived is something of a miracle, the one time it might happen in a night gaming. Sometimes I wonder if you're being stupid trying to defend points that are being lost, so many people are only interested in playing deathmatch. I didn't play BF3 much, but I actually find in BF4, even though I really like it, the squad cohesion is crap compared to BF2! Relative to the times both came out, I still think BF2 is by far the best BF game....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That's the same in most games it takes a few weeks for the crap to filter out. They will get sick or you will find better servers after a while. It was the same in MOH that took a few weeks before it turned into the tactical shooter it was designed to be.

Very hard for devs to force people into being a class they don't like. Imagine the outrage if a sniper had to play as an engineer and do things other than hide in the mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

It is a very rare thing to have teams/squads working together. When they do, you make serious progress, supports resupplying everyone, assault chucking down medic bags/reviving team mates. It all makes so much difference when trying to cap or defend a point.

I'm waiting for the servers to be region locked as well. Sick of dumping entire mags into people only for them to turn around and kill you with the pistol. I don't get the mentality of cheating in these games, takes all the fun out of it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Good job DICE, you stopped people abusing the mav in BF3 and now in BF4 you make something worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I dunno... if you're doing a rooftop camper routine and that happened to you, well, I have the world's smallest violin over here...
    And if you're playing as regular infantry, how hard is it to see and shoot/dodge it when you're on the receiving end?

Sparks wrote: »
    I dunno... if you're doing a rooftop camper routine and that happened to you, well, I have the world's smallest violin over here...
    And if you're playing as regular infantry, how hard is it to see and shoot/dodge it when you're on the receiving end?

Haven't seen it at all out side of this video.

Playing on PS4 so with the exception of the odd person who transferred from the PS3 most people are low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Varik wrote: »
    Haven't seen it at all out side of this video.

Playing on PS4 so with the exception of the odd person who transferred from the PS3 most people are low levels.

Varik, my China Rising isn't in the store for me (PS4). How did you get it working.

BTW, I agree on this flying plane thing... very childish gadget. Wish it was gone (without even experiencing it)

Or at least make it so that a roadkill is a one-hit thing (ie, you can roadkill, but the SUAV won't survive it either). I mean, it is a real thing (it's called the RQ-11 Raven) and if it hit you in the head while going full-tilt, it'd probably hurt. It weights just shy of 2kg, and at cruise it's doing 56kph, in a dive up to 97kph. That's 230 to 690 joules of kinetic energy. A .45 bullet, by comparison, has 550 joules or so. The bullet's smaller cross-section means more penetration, but you fly a Raven into someone's head at high speed, it's going to knock them silly at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

China Rising downloading on PS4, should be ready to go in a couple of hours.

• Advertisement

They made the mav only good for 1 hit (usually) so why the need to take a step back for this which is a move manoeuvrable gadget.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So... New expansion is pretty much armored kill 2.0? Get a tank or feck off and die. I hope it will die out soon and it will go back to Vanilla maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'm surprised at the amount of people with premium. Paying 100 quid for a beta would piss me off to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

I'm surprised at the amount of people with premium. Paying 100 quid for a beta would piss me off to no end.

I was surprised too with most of the people on my friends list having it.
    I paid about 70e for base game and premium and think it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It worked out 63eu for Premium and BF4, so why the hell not.

Now there's an indication of social change in Ireland. When I was in college, back before the internet, if you'd lumped the price of two pints into "why the hell not", we'd have thought you weren't right in the head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Here's my moan.
    I'm so **** at this game.
    I can never spot the enemy in most maps. Its like I suddenly need glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I suppose I should have paid more attention to the price when it was coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

My latest annoyance with this game is the fact that you cant spawn on B flag on flood zone. Literally its not possible. Also the constant repair of choppers in flight, its terrible.

What is the point in an air superiority server that has more player slots than aircraft?

• Advertisement

Or air superiority using attack helos with no gunner seats instead of scouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Hit level 100 just there. Going to take a break til the new year I reckon. Hopefully everything will be patched and fixed by the time I make my triumphal return to the Battlefield.

I could think of more tiresome boring things than air superiority servers flying jets in this game.

But I'd really have to work at it.
    Still, assault jets all unlocked now. One or two more rounds and I'll have the assault helos unlocked and then I can put this game mode away and never destroy my head with it again.

Finally! What a ridiculously messed up game mode. Who thought to take the underpowered, under-agile attack chopper and make that the air to air helo? Or to have levels that have rounds that last five minutes (literally, the game clock didn't make it from 60 to 55 minutes)?
    What a complete and utter pain in the fundament...

Latest gripes:

- comments above about people buying premium and it not being value;;; (hmm, I paid €125 so far on the game, €60 for PS3, €15 upgrade and €50 for premium). Add that too the the PSN cost (€49) and PS4 (€400) well I am a right tool!! However, €125 for 2 years of gaming = bargain.

(granted the PSN and PS4 have other uses but for me, not really as I only play BF4, although my 9 year old wont complain as he inherited PSN and a PS3 super slim which was only 2 months old)

- i am having real trouble hip-firing on the new PS4 controller... it is quite tight so I am stuggling compared to Dual Shock 3 but I accept this could just be a transitional issue...

- Conquest Large; okay it is amazing and a dream to play but apart of me is thinking that I have no impact in the game whatsoever. e.g. last night I was so bad at playing but I think we won all matches. I may as well have been sniping from the moon as we would have won anyway.

- Crates; why are they crates in all maps in random locations!... it is kinda funny... FPS and grates, what the hell!!!

And last but not least

Double XP and XP boosts.

Seriously, WTF!

SPM is now a ruined stat meaning jack all really. Why do I care, because it was a good stat and a good indicator of why plays the objective but timing the XPs correctly and using them in crap COD modes like Domination and TDM = artifically high SPM.

I just dont see the point of it, it is rather childish, no?

SPM ruined? Rank meaningless? who cares.
    Me, I paid nearly a hundred euro for this game, I'm a tad angry at this trend that I then have to put more work in (or in BF3 right now and BF4 in the future, pay yet more money to unlock things I ALREADY HAVE BECAUSE I PAID FOR THEM...)
    Harumph. Game progression my arse, I played every FPS from wolfenstein 3d to BF4, I don't need a training curve thanks. This is purely down to EA trying to up its profits (Corporations. Psychotic money-grubbing sociopaths by law. You have to love our society, you really do...)

But the odds I can get EA to ignore bean counters are slightly lower than the odds that I'll win the lotto and euromillions twice in consecutive weeks without playing, so I'll take the double XP and just get on with unlocking stuff faster. Doesn't mean I like it, but at least it's faster. Rank and SPM? Slightly less important than the colour of my socks. (Actually, I'm wearing my thursday socks, so far less important).

Sparks, I am not saying SPM is "important" but it is useful and when you play a game so long it is something to work on, i.e. try to improve genuinely.

Re ranking up faster and unlocking... the current system on guns is perfect IMO, takes a long while hence not everyone using the same boring attachments.

Ranking on vehicles is a farce, way too fast, e.g. moving onto my second service star on anti-air vehicles already despite in BF3 never having even got the second unlock!

No unlocking = boredom faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

mozattack wrote: »
    Latest gripes:

- Crates; why are they crates in all maps in random locations!... it is kinda funny... FPS and grates, what the hell!!!

They are being dropped by commander as supply drops.

• Advertisement

mozattack wrote: »
    Sparks, I am not saying SPM is "important" but it is useful and when you play a game so long it is something to work on, i.e. try to improve genuinely.
    So reset your stats or don't play during double XP events.
    Unless you want to compare SPM with others, but there are specific metrics you can use for that that aren't affected by XP (accuracy stats, number of kills, etc).
    Re ranking up faster and unlocking... the current system on guns is perfect IMO, takes a long while hence not everyone using the same boring attachments.
    No. Just... no.
    First off, ranking up and unlocking is the problem, not the method for doing it. I'm not arguing that my mugger should fine-tune his choice of weapon, I'm arguing that I don't want to be mugged.
    Secondly, it's not a game mechanic, or you couldn't pay EA 30 quid and get a shortcut kit to unlock all the bits in BF3 (and that's coming for BF4 in a few months when the sales numbers start to drop and they want something new to sell).
    And thirdly, if you don't want everyone using the same boring attachments, balance the game better. The problem is not solved by an unlock mechanism, it's just deferred. Look at the competitive BF4 scene at the moment (and listen to jackfrags video on it) - everyone is already using the same kit (ACE23 and RGO impacts or V40 minis). There's not enough differentiation. Because it's not a game mechanic, it's a sales technique and one that assumes you're thick, to boot.
    No unlocking = boredom faster.
    No unlocking = getting what you paid for when you pay for it.
    FFS, if I buy a panloaf, I don't expect to have to level up and gain XP so I can toast a slice of bread for my breakfast, and I don't expect to have to unlock sandwich mode either...

Advertisement