Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battlefield 4 [aaaarrrghhh bitching and moaning]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

They are being dropped by commander as supply drops.
    And if you see a pair of boots sticking out from underneath them, that's me, flat as a pancake again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Sparks, i thought I was buying a game and access to DLC earlier then others, not buying every unlock in the game... where did it say that the game or premium guaranteed that?

I am happy to work my way through and unlock all attachments as the game progresses. Seriously dont see the need to be provided with all attachments from day 1.

mozattack wrote: »
    Sparks, i thought I was buying a game and access to DLC earlier then others, not buying every unlock in the game... where did it say that the game or premium guaranteed that?
    It doesn't. You've missed my point.
    I am happy to work my way through and unlock all attachments as the game progresses. Seriously dont see the need to be provided with all attachments from day 1.
    Cool. Can I not pay for them then? I won't ever use 90% of them. There are whole classes I don't play, entire groups of weapons. Sell me the attachments as micropayments, we have the setup for that already. Lower the base price of the game to twenty quid, let me start with one each in the classes of weapons and then pay 50 cents for a laser sight, a euro for a taclight, a fiver for a new shotgun, that kind of thing.

But don't sell me a game and then tell me I can't use everything in it because I've not worked hard enough at it already. Pick up a book sometime, and read the last page. Granted, you've spoiled some surprise, but it was your book and you paid for it and you get to read it how you want.

Now try that with BF4. Go on, buy the game and try to run around in your very first round with the same loadout you saw on a levelcap video the weekend before that prompted you to buy the game. You can't (you will at some point when EA decide the cash cow's almost empty and starts selling shortcut kits). And that's what I think sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Sparks wrote: »
    And if you see a pair of boots sticking out from underneath them, that's me, flat as a pancake again.

The first time i used the commorose to call for ammo i got a supply drop on my head and instant KIA. I was like wtf:D

Has happened to me twice now so far, the first time was funny, wtf, didn't think that could happen, oh well.

The second time, I was in an engineer-v-tank fight, was winning, was down to the last rocket and he disabled, mobility hit, on fire and in need of a coup de grace, I ducked down into a crater for cover, reloaded, popped up, AGS'd and lined up the SRAW... and then got clobbered by an ammo crate and KIA'd.

I was not a happy person at that point. If there was a way to frag your commander, I'd have done it twice.

• Advertisement

Sparks, you are accusing EA of being money grabbers but would promote micro-transactions in the game? First time i've heard that!

You get the red dot sight after 10 kills, get an attachment after 20 and so on. Cant see what the problem is in playing around with the guns like this and earning the attachments. I really dont see the point but anyway...

Sparks, you are accusing EA of being money grabbers but would promote micro-transactions in the game? First time i've heard that!
    EA aren't being accused of being moneygrabbers moz, any more than I am accusing boards.ie of being an internet discussion forum.
    But if I'm going to have to deal with paying to play, I'd like at least for it to be a bit more honest. Want to buy the game? Costs X. Want to buy extra bits? Costs Y, Z, whatever. Not the Irish taxation method of payment where every time you think you've finished paying, someone comes up with something new that costs time and/or money.
    I'd like to pay X and get a game I can play in the small amount of very precious free time I have. All this "it only takes a few hours to unlock stuff" guff is the kind of argument you realise very quickly is bogus when you have kids and family and mortgage and job and free time is something you get treated with for an hour or two late at night when everyone else is in bed, assuming you're not knackered tired yourself, which you usually are.

In other words, I'd like a game that knows I'm a grownup looking to have some fun under fairly tight constraints, instead of pretending I'm both (a) 19 and (b) rich.

And my demographic's growing. I figure moneygrubbers like EA ought to take note of that. Popcap certainly did...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

But don't sell me a game and then tell me I can't use everything in it because I've not worked hard enough at it already. Pick up a book sometime, and read the last page. Granted, you've spoiled some surprise, but it was your book and you paid for it and you get to read it how you want.

This is a bit silly IMO. The game would be pointless if there was nothing to actually work at and unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

But if I'm going to have to deal with paying to play, I'd like at least for it to be a bit more honest.

To be fair we knew this before we bought the game , we knew we would get the base level gear and have to work our way to access the rest .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I've played tons of FPS games where everything was available to every player right from the start. I like unlocking stuff but the game would have plenty of fun to play if you everything right from the start. It's not an MMO ffs you're playing for teamwork/kills/fun not to level up. Surely?

• Advertisement

This is a bit silly IMO. The game would be pointless if there was nothing to actually work at and unlock.
    Please don't tell me the only reason you're playing it is to unlock stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Please don't tell me the only reason you're playing it is to unlock stuff!

No, I also happen to like shooting you in the face :D

What I'm saying is that essentially every (relatively modern) game that has ever come out has had some sort of unlock system. If you want to use every single weapon from the get-go, there are always unranked servers.

I am with Majestic D on this.

I dont play the game to unlock guns, nor do I play the game to amass a lovely number as my score, I play it for fun but a part of that fun is unlocking a gun and working it through in the same way you'd get a car in Gran Turismo and modify it etc.

Adds some character to the gun.

My bet is that if all unlocks were available we'd only come across the Koyote sight 99 times out of 100

No, I also happen to like shooting you in the face :D
    See? I know I was fulfilling a role...
    What I'm saying is that essentially every (relatively modern) game that has ever come out has had some sort of unlock system. If you want to use every single weapon from the get-go, there are always unranked servers.
    See, you say this, but unless you count "having to get into the secret room across the lava after the platform the imps were on is lowered" as an unlock mechanism, some of the best, most entertaining, most memorable, most terrifying FPS games ever written thought of the current BF4 unlock mechanism as stupid.

Ia part of that fun is unlocking a gun and working it through
    See, to me, that sounds like someone explaining how Farmville is actually tons of fun.
    My bet is that if all unlocks were available we'd only come across the Koyote sight 99 times out of 100
    Well, no. You'd see it in probably 2/3s of the red dot sights (ignore for the moment the point that snipers use scopes, DMRs should be using the 3-4x scopes, pistols are easier with the ghost ring and for some reason the holo works better for the M249 -- let's just look at the red dots). The Kobra would probably be the one you'd see for the rest of the time, with maybe a few wierdos using the PKA-S or HD-33.

Thing is, that's four out of six sights. There are a lot more than six red-dot sights in the world today. Why not have more of those in the game rather than sights noone will use unless they're forced to use them by an unlock mechanism?

And has nobody ever wondered why a feature that's on many of even the basic red dot sites these days is absent from BF4? Namely this:

474338313_047.jpg

The reticle selection knob? Don't want a dot, prefer a circle? or three or four lines? No worries, you don't need to buy a different sight, you move this switch and hey presto. And you can do it on the fly and now your red dot goes from CQB to mid-range sight in a pinch.

But no, instead we have unlocks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I must be very lucky. On PS4 no problems bar the sound gone in vehicles and the matches are never fuller than 30 players.

Never crashed or had problems finding a match

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Shanghai still crashing for me after patch, ffs ive yet to get in a round on it and i loved the map in the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Dear dice

Fix the damn game I like the game I really, do but fix it or give me my money back

Regards
    Fergus Mahon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Dear dice

Fix the damn game I like the game I really, do but fix it or give me my money back

Regards
    Fergus Mahon

Pm me your bank and credit card details and i'll get you a refund.....

:P

game4it70 wrote: »
    Pm me your bank and credit card details and i'll get you a refund.....

:P

Haha yeah it's ulsb1234567 G0fuc7y0ur5Elf haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

fergus1001 wrote: »
    Haha yeah it's ulsb1234567 G0fuc7y0ur5Elf haha

:D

On a serious note wtf is up with spawn protection?
    If i spawn i can die instantly but if an enemy say spawns on a guy i'm shooting he is invulnerable to my bullets.
    :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Wow , im glad ive held off gettin the game till my christmas exams are over.

Major pc problems by the sound of things..

Might even hold off till i get a Ps4 in Feb.... hmmmmm

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wow , im glad ive held off gettin the game till my christmas exams are over.

Major pc problems by the sound of things..

Might even hold off till i get a Ps4 in Feb.... hmmmmm

Yeah its impacting on my study time badly ill have to take it home home till the end of semester exams are over "oh ill just have a quick game of bf4 before I go to bed" ...... aaaaaaaaannnd its 4 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭squirrelohara

Tried to stab a guy right in front of me.

He killed me with his defibrillator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Is battlefield 4 down on ps4 or something? Can't log in online

Haha I wiped half a team with an ed bot in locker just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

What happened to bullet drop?! It's not in this game anymore. Also sniper quick scope on this now, am I playing cod or bf?!
    Shooting the ****e outta someone only
    for them to turn around an kill you with one shot from a sniper, up close!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

deco nate wrote: »
    What happened to bullet drop?! It's not in this game anymore. Also sniper quick scope on this now, am I playing cod or bf?!
    Shooting the ****e outta someone only
    for them to turn around an kill you with one shot from a sniper, up close!?
    Bullet drop is very much in this game, the last sniper rifle (SRR-61) seems to suffer very little from it - I only unlocked it late last night at last so haven't tested that fully yet - but the other guns do have it.

As for being killed by one shot up close with a sniper rifle, thats always the case within 15-20 feet, its not a glitch and it ain't quick scoping, BF purposely made it so you can't quick scope like some L33T COD rainman sniper.
    You don't even have to scope in to do it, I killed someone the other night close ish with one of the sniper rifles as I ran around a corner into him.

PS4 was fair poor last night. I “played” for an hour and a half and not one game finished. I first tried Conq Large on the new maps – fail, then went to Rush on new maps – fail. Then said maybe it was the new maps so tried Conq Lrg on old maps – fail, Rush on old maps – fail… so on.

Not one game finished okay.

I have a quality video that I can upload to Facebook from PS4 which shows the most amazing weird crap ever like falling through the maps and running around while everyone was frozen… bananas. Anyone know how I can share a video saved on PS4 which I can upload to Facebook only?

Maybe it was my internet connection? Doubt it; rebooted, etc,

Of course when I did play I was on fire… I was at one stage 14-1 with the UMP and silencer on Obliteration and I nearly made it through a whole Conq. Lrge Dragons Pass game without dying in my IFV until BF4 broken came along

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Unlocks are a mechanism to promote addiction, one of many employed by the industry at the moment.

BF4's unlocks have been carefully placed into the unattainable for the average gamer, meaning your more likely to spend money for weapon unlocks. The red dots are a good example, the best one is "in a battlepack". And those unlocks are not random, they are weighted towards the initial weapons, which are not the best.

Advertisement