Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

sligojoek wrote: »
    What's wrong with Status Quo?

I dunno. Whatever You Want I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

They'll do '84 alright. How could they not do pop music's greatest year? :D:D;);)

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they did '85 as well - although, of course, many feel that this was when Pops' decline began (cut back to 30 minutes because of some new East End soap, introduction of the Breakers segment, etc). They'd actually get through this year fairly quickly - there aren't any Yewtreed episodes, but there are no less than sixteen hosted by Smitty (and the same in '86 and '87)...

cml387 wrote: »
    For older TOTP fans, here's a clip of the camera rehearsal for a TOTP in 1975, with assorted floor managers and Noel Edmonds helping out on "Hold Me Tight.
    Followed by the talkback of the vision mixer counting bars for the camera shots on "Island Girl".

Brilliant find. :D:);)

Unfortunately, the three YT users who thumbed this video down didn't appreciate that, or they hated Noel Edmonds so much that they couldn't put this aside - or, indeed, both. :mad: :mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

Old television history is one of nerdy fascinations so I tend to find these things on television tech ops websites.

That was recorded for training purposes internally in the BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The BBC were still wiping actual broadcast shows in the 70s. Bizarre that they'd keep a tape of a rehearsal at the same time they were wiping shows.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

The BBC were still wiping actual broadcast shows in the 70s. Bizarre that they'd keep a tape of a rehearsal at the same time they were wiping shows.

As is often the case with archive stuff, this was a recording kept by BBC staffer on his own initiative.
    There is of course the famous story of a BBC VT technician who unofficially kept tapes of famous musicians appearance on BBC shows. In danger of losing his job at the time, he's now feted as something of a hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Can't believe they erased the first few episodes of 'Top Of The Pops'.

Oh wait...

41791282_savile_first416.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

cml387 wrote: »
    Somehow I never took to this copy exact version of "They Don't Know"
    I always feel it should have been Kirsty getting all the praise.
    Skid X wrote: »
    In fairness, Kirsty did alright out of Cover Versions herself over the years.

Just randomly thinking about Kirsty performances tonight - here she is making The Wonder Stuff sound much better years later.

She should be still making great music, a very sad loss RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^

hadnt heard that before, you can almost hum The Piano Man alongside it :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Andy McCluskey always annoyed the sh1te outta me. Still does. Plus OMD were sh1te. Imo :P
    Then you'll be pleased to hear that only do OMD have a new album coming out, they're playing Vicar St. in October. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Hello there, we go again with lots of familiar faces across the Networks. Roy Orbison, Frank Zappa, Glen Campbell, Steely Dan, Johnny Cash and The Rolling Stones all feature. I quite like that there is a "South London Rapper and pianist who mixes African, Jamaican and grime beats" on Later With Jools, who just goes by the name "Dave". Maybe his real name is Rodney, but everyone calls him Dave ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & 11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 8th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Tommy Vance with music from December 8, with Thompson Twins, Billy Joel, Tears for Fears, Howard Jones, Culture Club and the Flying Pickets. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857732&lid=7

9pm Johnny McEvoy and Friends (TG4)
    Red Hurley The musician performs some of his greatest hits, including Where My Eileen Is Waiting, Slieve Galleon Braes, If Wishes Were Fishes and Long Before Your Time. His guest is Red Hurley, who serves up a rendition of Let the Heartaches Begin. From soundtracks recorded in the RTÉ Studios in December 1987

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music show celebrating new and innovative talent, featuring Wild Beasts, Melanie De Biaso, Wyvern Lingo and Staring at Lakes

12.15am Sound Of Cinema: Music That Made The Movies (Part 1) (BBC4)
    The Big Score Neil Brand celebrates the art of the film soundtrack by exploring the work of movie composers and demonstrating their techniques. He begins by looking at how the classical orchestral score emerged, and investigates how its popularity remains strong today. He sheds light on the 1930s European composers such as Max Steiner and Erich Wolfgang Korngold, who brought their Viennese training to Hollywood for movies including King Kong and The Adventures of Robin Hood, and how it took an American talent to produce a darker, more modern sound. He also meets film-maker Martin Scorsese and composer Hans Zimmer to discuss their work

Friday
    7.30pm & Midnight: Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 15th (BBC4)
    Another edition of the long-running music show, hosted by Simon Bates and Janice Long. First aired December 15, 1983. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857733&lid=7

8pm Classic Albums: Steely Dan - Aja (Sky Arts)
    The making of Steely Dan's sixth album, the 1977 release Aja, which included the songs Peg and Deacon Blues. Includes a rare interview with founder members Walter Becker and Donald Fagen

9pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Sting (Sky Arts)
    Brian heads to New York to meet his old friend Sting, who reflects on the Police's humble beginnings, his rise to fame, the band's break-up and his pre-show rituals

9pm &12.35am Roy Orbison - One of The Lonely Ones (BBC Four)
    Biography of the singer and musician, casting new light on the triumphs and tragedies that beset his career, featuring performances and home movies, and providing an insight into Orbison's remote Texas childhood and his battles to get his voice heard. This film reveals how his rollercoaster life was often reflected in the dark lyrics of his songs, from success to rejection, and rediscovery in the 1980s with the Travelling Wilburys supergroup. Featuring interviews with Jeff Lynne, T Bone Burnett, Bobby Goldsboro and Marianne Faithfull

10pm & 12.35am Roy Orbison and Friends - A Black and White Night 30 (BBC Four)
    First broadcast in 1988 and filmed in black and white (hence the title!), this TV concert classic features Roy Orbison performing his classic songs with friends like Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, kd lang, Jennifer Warnes and Bonnie Raitt.
    The TCB Band which backs all featured artists was Elvis Presley's band till his death in 1977 and includes James Burton, Glen D Hardin, Jerry Scheff and Ronnie Tutt with musical drector T Bone Burnett.
    Filmed at the Coconut Grove nightclub in Los Angeles, the show was first broadcast on HBO in 1988, the year of Roy Orbison's death.

10pm Joe Cocker: Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

11pm & 2.35am The Everly Brothers: Harmonies From Heaven (BBC Four)
    Don and Phil - arguably the greatest harmony singers of all time - began as childhood musicians, performing hymns and country songs as Little Donnie and Baby Boy Phil on their father's radio shows in Iowa, where they grew up. This documentary follows surviving sibling Don back to the place where their love for music was formed to recall the music that was omnipresent in their home, the influence of their parents, the early radio shows and the musicians they played with in their formative years. Contributors include Art Garfunkel, Graham Nash, Dave Edmunds and Tim Rice

11.15pm Later With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Extended edition of the music programme. Modfather Paul Weller performs, mixing some of his classic ballads with stomping rock beats. English electro-rock trio Alt-J deliver more of their classic rich folk-tronic interwoven melodies, rhythms and falsetto harmonies, while making his Later debut is south London rapper and pianist Dave, whose mix of African, Jamaican and grime beats with heart-felt lyrics is winning him fans. Host Jools also introduces sets by Swedish magical electro-pop trio Little Dragon, Maryland singer-songwriter Maggie Rogers and a capella septet Naturally 7

11.45pm Film: Roxy The Music (Sky Arts) (The Frank Zappa Film yom might have missed last week)
    A concert performance by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention compiled from footage shot over three nights in December 1973 at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood

1.45am Beat Beat Beat - The New Animals (Sky Arts)
    Eric Burdon and the New Animals A 1968 performance by Eric Burdon and the New Animals - the band formed by the singer following the dissolution of the original Animals line-up in 1966

2am The Ritchie Blackmore Story (Sky Arts)
    Brian May, Lars Ulrich and Gene Simmons are among those paying tribute to guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who has played with Deep Purple, Rainbow and the Outlaws among others

Saturday
    8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Lou Reed (Sky Arts)
    Directors and musicians discuss the secrets behind creating some of Lou Reed's best-loved music videos

8.35pm Pat Shortt's Music From D'Telly (RTE1)
    Rarely seen performances and much-loved songs from six decades of RTÉ music television production

9pm The Rolling Stones: Totally Stripped (1995) (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the making of the band's 1995 album Stripped, featuring interviews, performances and rehearsal footage from project, in which the Stones reinterpreted tracks from their back catalogue in pared-back versions, alongside covers of Willie Dixon's Little Baby and Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone

10.45pm The Stones In The Park (1969) (Sky Arts)
    The Rolling Stones' 1969 Hyde Park concert dedicated to the memory of the band's guitarist Brian Jones, who had died two days previously

10.30pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 8th (BBC4)
    Same as Thursday

11.05pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 15th (BBC4)
    Same as Friday

11.35pm & 3am Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by some of the best-known easy-listening musicians of the 1960s and 70s, including Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, Burt Bacharach, the Carpenters and Andy Williams

11.45pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Sting (Sky Arts)
    Same as Friday

12.40am Glen Campbell: The Rhinestone Cowboy (BBC4)
    An insight into the life of country music star Glen Campbell, documenting his remarkable journey from an impoverished childhood to worldwide fame and success as a guitarist and singer with records including Wichita Lineman and Rhinestone Cowboy. Featuring contributions by family, friends and colleagues including Jimmy Webb, Micky Dolenz and Bob Harris

12.45am Discovering Music - Sting (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the defining moments in the musician's career, including his exit from the Police, his first solo album and his collaborations with rappers Puff Daddy and Nas

1.15am Johnny Cash: A Legend in Concert (Sky Arts)
    A selection of early recordings by the country star, featuring performances of Five Feet High and Rising, I Got Stripes and Don't Take Your Guns to Town

1.40am An Evening with Glen Campbell (1977) (BBC4)
    An archive concert by country music singer Glen Campbell in which he is accompanied by 80 musicians who played original arrangements of his greatest songs. Performed at London's Royal Festival Hall in 1977

Sunday
    9pm Gregory Porter: Live in Berlin (Sky Arts)
    The Grammy Award-winning American jazz singer performs tracks from across his career at the Berliner Philharmonie concert hall in May 2016

10pm Arena: American Epic (Part 1) (BBC Four) New!
    New series. The first of three programmes exploring roots music in the US, beginning with the birth of country music and urban blues in the 1920s. As record sales rose in the early days of radio, companies began exploring rural areas in search of new artists. The programme features early recordings by Appalachian country music pioneers the Carter Family and Will Shade and The Memphis Jug Band, whose music prefigured modern rap and RnB. Narrated by Robert Redford

10.15pm Ella Fitzgerald at Ronnie Scott's (Sky Arts)
    A 1974 performance at the London club by the American jazz singer, including Sweet Georgia Brown, It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) and Swingin' the Blues

11pm Country at the BBC (BBC Four)
    A compilation of BBC session performances by country artists from the past four decades, including Tammy Wynette, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks, Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, Taylor Swift, kd lang and Billie Jo Spears

That's more or less it, hope there is something you might like on this weekend.

silverharp wrote: »
    Hard not to think of the song Dont you forget about me and the movie the Breakfast Club and vice versa

And Would You Believe It, The Breakfast Club is on Film 4 Saturday Night at 12.50am, making it the Film Whose Soundtrack Featured On TOTP Last Week Which Is On The Television This Week!

• Advertisement

^^

the flying pickets eh, Ill have to get a copy of the BBC and ITV and RTE xmas 83 tv guides :pac:

I have a 12 year old son and I'd been showing him the "old" 80's movies . the Breakfast Club is one of the last left but I think he will appreciate it better in a year or 2 . Great opening song for a movie though, you know you are in for a treat

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Thursday
    7.30pm & 11.40pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 8th (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Tommy Vance with music from December 8, with Thompson Twins, Billy Joel, Tears for Fears, Howard Jones, Culture Club and the Flying Pickets. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857732&lid=7

Friday
    7.30pm & Midnight: Top Of The Pops 1983 - December 15th (BBC4)
    Another edition of the long-running music show, hosted by Simon Bates and Janice Long. First aired December 15, 1983. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857733&lid=7

We should be on to Pop Music's Greatest Year the week after next, then. :D:);)

I guess it's time to point out the episodes that won't be shown. This time, I'm colour-coding them - there being Yewtreed episodes, Smitty episodes, and Yewtreed episodes with Smitty... :o;)

26 January '84 (Smitty alongside Richard Skinner)
    9 February '84 (DLT alongside Gary Davies)
    15 March '84 (Smitty alongside Simon Bates)
    12 April '84 (DLT alongside Richard Skinner)
    24 May '84 (Smitty alongside Janice Long)
    31 May '84 (DLT alongside Richard Skinner)
    5 July '84 (Savile and Smitty)
    26 July '84 (DLT alongside Janice Long)
    30 August '84 (Savile on a British Rail InterCity 125 for his last regular episode; Smitty in the studio alongside Richard Skinner)
    13 September '84 (DLT alongside Bruno Brookes, making his debut)
    27 September '84 (Smitty alongside Peter Powell)
    25 October '84 (DLT on his last regular episode, alongside Peter Powell)
    1 November '84 (Smitty alongside Gary Davies)
    6 December '84 (Smitty alongside Gary Davies)

Poor Richard Skinner - only five of his nine episodes this year will be shown. :(

Not much luck for Gary Davies, either, with only five of his eight episodes allowed (Skinner alongside him on 8 March). We will get seven of Janice Long's nine episodes, though - including her first alongside Peely, on 6 September, following Kid Jensen's departure for London's Capital Radio.

We'll also get the 20th anniversary episode from 5 January, hosted by Peel and Kid. :D And we'll get the Christmas episode, hosted by the featured acts due to trouble at Radio 1 HQ, as well as the "review" episode two days later hosted by Lenny Henry. :D

And, of course, we'll have a few episodes early on where the number one isn't played... :D:D;);)

Nice work there GHG,

I wonder if the Ghost of Mike Smith now regrets not agreeing to allow his shows to be repeated ... by doing so there must be people out there who (wrongly) assume the reason he is off our screens is the same reason that the Yewtree lot are banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

silverharp wrote: »
    ^^

the flying pickets eh, Ill have to get a copy of the BBC and ITV and RTE xmas 83 tv guides :pac:

I have a 12 year old son and I'd been showing him the "old" 80's movies . the Breakfast Club is one of the last left but I think he will appreciate it better in a year or 2 . Great opening song for a movie though, you know you are in for a treat

Just a few more years, when his eye is being turned to girls, you can play him the 80s movie featuring best use of Peter Gabriel music by a guy in a trenchcoat with a boombox
    - John Cusack in Say Anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Excuse my ignorance but why are the Mike Smith programmes not broadcasted?

dcr22B wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but why are the Mike Smith programmes not broadcasted?

I didn't know myself and happened to google it last night, it appears he didn't sign an agreement given to him by the BBC to repeat them. I don't know if there was anymore to it than that. seems a shame

'Hold Me Now' - classic.

:blush:

My god, one of the worst music videos I've ever seen.

ah its not shout, Boo! boo!

I've never heard this Tears for Fears song, lets see what Wikipedia says about it

Band members Roland Orzabal and Curt Smith have been uncompromising in their dislike for the song in the years following its release, Orzabal stating it was "the point we realized we had to change direction", while Smith was even more direct in proclaiming it "the worst thing we've done"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_You_Are_(Tears_for_Fears_song)

Ah well

• Advertisement

my son told me to turn it down and I quote "Its driving me insane"

No Jed?

Did he have to return his mental chains to B&Q?

Howard Jones

Good tune

Awful Haircut

Island's Industry at No.15 :)

I can't help but feel this video is just a tad overblown.

boy george , cant lie another classic

Flying Pickets!

*shudder*

Feels strange to hear this song in May!

Alison Moyet must be spinning in her grave.

• Advertisement

It's a shame this was in one of the recent skipped editions, would have been nice to see it on the box - The Assembly (Vince Clarke and Feargal Sharkey)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement