Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Less than two months ago...
    It appears a lot of behind-the-scenes shenanigans went down just to accommodate Zoe Ball :(
    BandMember wrote: »
    Is Zoe Ball even that good or any different to anyone else on their roster??? She always stuck me as being bland and average to be honest. :confused:

Now Zoe's boyfriend has died. Thoughts are with her. :(

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39827907

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

And to think Slash could have ended up in Poison!

Unskinny Bop Bop Bop Bop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Strypes getting namechecked in high company by Alice Cooper there, fair play.

Matt Sorum can't mention Scott Weiland by name...my tv just froze up!

Lemmy!

:(

• Advertisement

Motörhead live at Wacken on Sky Arts right now :)

Lemmy, indeed 'Killed By Death'. :(

Hello, there's All Kinds of Everything this Weekend with Eurovision, Buddy Holly, Kate Bush, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa and other bits and bobs popping up in the Schedules ...

Thursday
    7pm Eurovisions (RTE2)
    Documentary exploring Europe's enduring fascination with the pomp, pageantry and excess of the Eurovision Song Contest

7.30pm & Midnight Top Of The Pops 1983 - November 10th (BBC Four)
    Kid Jensen and John Peel with music from November 10, featuring Musical Youth, Adam Ant, Eurythmics, Limahl, the Cure and Billy Joel. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857726&lid=7

8pm Eurovision Song Contest - Semi Final 2 (BBC4 & RTE2)

10pm & 1.35am Abba at the BBC (BBC4)
    A collection of memorable performances by the group. Agnetha Faltskog, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson and Anni-Frid Lyngstad were thrust into the limelight in 1974 when Waterloo triumphed at the Eurovision Song Contest in Brighton, marking the start of their rise to fame. Various outings were captured by BBC cameras over the next few years and several are featured here alongside their Top of the Pops debut, archive interviews and fly-on-the-wall footage. There is also a chance to see the foursome on a 1982 edition of Noel Edmonds' Late, Late Breakfast Show, which was Abba's last televised appearance in the UK

11.50pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by the Lost Brothers, featuring Mark McCausland and Oisin Leech. Plus, Kormac's Big Band and Somerville

12.35am Prog at the BBC (BBC4)
    Footage from the BBC studios of some of Britain's most popular progressive rock bands dating back to the early 1970s. Including performances by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Yes, Genesis, Caravan, Gentle Giant, Family and Atomic Rooster

Friday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top of The Pops 1983 - November 24th
    Simon Bates and Richard Skinner introduce performances by Paul Young, Tina Turner, the Smiths, Thompson Twins, Marilyn, Simple Minds, the Style Council and Billy Joel. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857730&lid=7

Pink Floyd Night on Sky Arts!
    8pm Classic Albums: Dark Side Of The Moon
    Documentary exploring Pink Floyd's ground-breaking 1973 album The Dark Side of the Moon, which remained in the US Top 200 for 724 consecutive weeks. Featuring interviews with band members Roger Waters, Dave Gilmour, Richard Wright and Nick Mason. Part of Pink Floyd Night

9pm Brian Johnson's A Life on The Road: Nick Mason
    Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason gives Brian a tour of his car collection in the Cotswolds and reveals the secrets behind his band's elaborate live shows

10pm Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii
    A 1972 concert in which David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright perform hits including Echoes and A Saucerful of Secrets amid the empty ruins of Pompeii's Ancient Roman amphitheatre

11.20pm David Gilmour Live in Gdansk
    A 2006 concert by the former Pink Floyd guitarist and singer in front of 50,000 fans at the shipyard in Gdansk, Poland. Gilmour and his six-piece band are accompanied by the 40-strong string section of the Polish Baltic Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Zbigniew Preisner, as they perform songs including Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Fat Old Sun and Wish You Were Here

9pm & 12.35am It's Only Rock n Roll: Rock n Roll at the BBC (BBC Four)
    A compilation of classic rock 'n' roll artists and songs in celebration of the musical genre, Including performances by Jerry Lee Lewis, Dion, Dick Dale and Neil Sedaka. Plus, a selection of songs with rock 'n' roll in the title, such as Tom Petty's Anything That's Rock 'n' Roll, Joan Jett's I love Rock 'n' Roll and Oasis's Rock 'n' Roll Star

10pm & 1.35am Buddy Holly: Rave On (BBC Four) (New!)
    Rock 'n' roll started with Elvis, but some believe that pop music started with Buddy Holly and the Crickets. As a songwriter, Holly revolutionised the genre by introducing dynamic new rhythms and unpredictable melodies beyond its traditional blues roots. In his songs written and recorded in the late '50s, it is already possible to hear the beat group sound of the 1960s, and beyond. This documentary tells the story of Holly's tragically short life and career through interviews with those who knew him and worked with him. Contributors include Don McLean, Paul Anka, Don Everly, Hank Marvin and Bob Harris

11pm & 2.35am Kings of Rock n Roll (BBC Four)
    Celebration of the musical icons of the 1950s, including Bill Haley and the Comets, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly and Elvis Presley. Featuring some of the more scandalous tales of the era, from Jerry Lee Lewis' marriage to his 13-year-old cousin to the original sexually explicit lyrics of Little Richard's hit Tutti Frutti. Featuring archive footage of the performers and contributions by celebrities including Tom Jones, Paul McCartney, Cliff Richard, Jack White, Jools Holland, Hank Marvin, John Waters and Minnie Driver, who reveal how the songs of the era have inspired them

11.05pm Later With Jools Holland (BBC Two)
    Extended edition of the music programme. Grime star Stormzy returns to the show, following his acclaimed debut in 2014. Graham Gouldman's art rockers 10cc make their debut, while New Orleans-based musician Benjamin Booker looks set to boost his fanbase with second album Witness. Also appearing are Norwegian singer-songwriter Sigrid. Kentucky singer-songwriter Joan Shelley and Canadian duo Japandroids

1.15am Slash: Raised on The Sunset Strip (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the life and music of the Guns N' Roses guitarist, featuring concert footage and interviews with Dave Grohl, Alice Cooper and Joe Perry

Saturday
    8pm Eurovision Song Contest Final 2017 (BBC1 & RTE1)
    Graham on BBC1, Marty on RTE1

9pm Deep Purple: From Here to Infinity (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of the pioneering and influential British heavy rock band, with cameras also following them as they enter the studio to record a new album

10.25pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - November 10th (BBC Four)
    Same as Thursday

10.30pm Deep Purple rises over Japan (Sky Arts)
    A 1975 concert by the rock band at Tokyo's Budokan Hall, including performances of Burn, Love Child, Smoke on the Water, You Keep on Moving and Highway Star

11pm Top Of The Pops 1983 - November 24th (BBC Four)
    Same as Friday

11.10pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road: Nick Mason (Sky Arts)
    Same as Friday

11.35pm & 2.35am The Kate Bush Story: Running Up That Hill (BBC Four)
    Documentary exploring the singer-songwriter's career and music from her 1978 debut single Wuthering Heights to her 2011 album 50 Words for Snow with testimony from collaborators, fellow artists inspired by her work and fans. Featuring David Gilmour, the guitarist who discovered Bush, as well as Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Stephen Fry, Outkast's Big Boi and Steve Coogan

11.40pm Adele in New York City (BBC1)

12.10am Download Festival 2016 (Sky Arts)
    Highlights of the rock music event held at Donington Park, Leicestershire, where the headliners were Rammstein, Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden

12.35am Kate Bush at the BBC (BBC Four)
    A compilation of the singer's performances at the BBC's studios between 1978 and 1994. Bush appeared on a variety of programmes, including Top of the Pops, Wogan, Ask Aspel, Saturday Night at the Mill and the Leo Sayer Show. Featuring the hits Wuthering Heights, Babooshka, Running Up That Hill and Hounds of Love, as well as intriguing and lesser-known material

1.35am Singer Songwriters at the BBC (BBC Four)
    Archive performances from the 1960s and 70s, featuring Bob Dylan, Kate Bush, Gil Scott-Heron, Kris Kristofferson, Labi Siffre, Roy Harper, Janis Ian, Gilbert O'Sullivan and Michael Chapman, as well as a duet between Graham Nash and David Crosby

Sunday
    9pm Roxy The Movie (2015) (Sky Arts) New!
    Premiere. A concert performance by Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention compiled from footage shot over three nights in December 1973 at the Roxy Theatre in Hollywood

11.15pm Classic Albums Special: Frank Zappa (Sky Arts)
    The making of Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation, two of the best-known albums by musician and artist Frank Zappa

Quite a lot going on there, if you've seen anything else do let us know. I like how Classic Albums can't decide on which Frank Zappa Album to pick, so they take two of them. Not unlike how Alan Partridge says his favourite Beatles Album would be Best of The Beatles.

Speaking of Alan, he pops up in what is probably the Best Sneaky Look Around Bono's House of The Weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Confession time.

This is all I know about Frank Zappa:

He has a kid called Dweezil or something.
    Steve Vai was in his band for a bit.
    In my head, he looks like Weird Al Yankovic.
    I think he's supposed to be good.

I think it's time I took Run DMC's advice, and the next time someone is teaching I WILL get taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Confession time.

This is all I know about Frank Zappa:

He has a kid called Dweezil or something.
    Steve Vai was in his band for a bit.
    In my head, he looks like Weird Al Yankovic.
    I think he's supposed to be good.

I think it's time I took Run DMC's advice, and the next time someone is teaching I WILL get taught.

Has a kid called Moon Unit too, but it's a common name so very easy to miss.

Adam Ant music videos haven't aged well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

didnt remember that Musical Youth song at all

Hard to see Adam Ant doing well in any other decade, but classic 80's stuff

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

silverharp wrote: »
    didnt remember that Musical Youth song at all

Hard to see Adam Ant doing well in any other decade, but classic 80's stuff

In fairness even the ground breaking Ashes To Ashes video looks a bit naff now.

Dunno why but Dave Stewart always bugged me. Annie Lennox is cool though. Not one of their best songs at all at all.

Sorry, quoted wrong post.
    Anyway. Annie Lennox eh?
    I always thought it was lucky she had a good dentist.

cml387 wrote: »
    In fairness even the ground breaking Ashes To Ashes video looks a bit naff now.

dont remember that , I had the ants Prince charming album and it got played alot cos I didnt own many albums :(

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Behold...the mullet of the gods!

Kneel before Limahl!

Lamahl. An amalgam of Christopher Hamill, well his surname, almost. I should not know these things.

Behold...the mullet of the gods!

Kneel before Limahl!

Possibly "peak eighties" this.

bit of a duff episode so far, the Cure might redeem it somewhat

THE LOVE CATS :D

• Advertisement

Has everyone seen "Sing Street"?

The lipstick on the Cure reminds me of the film.

Where's Simon Gallup? Is that Porl on bass?!

Gizmo55 wrote: »

Where's Simon Gallup? Is that Porl on bass?!

Looks like, now called Pearl.

You can dance!
    You can dance!
    Everybody pull down your pants!

Paul to Jacko: ''You should buy the publishing rights to other people's songs...you'd make a fortune.''

D'oh!

Paul McCartney loves mugging about in these videos.

If he wasn't being Paul McCartney I think he would be a very enthusiastic Amateur Dramatic participant. Already planning next years Panto before this one is finished.

wondering did ZZ top copy herself getting out of the car in one of their videos?

Ian Curtis could only have dreamed of such a party atmosphere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭dasdog

Skid X wrote: »
    11.15pm Classic Albums Special: Frank Zappa (Sky Arts)
    The making of Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation, two of the best-known albums by musician and artist Frank Zappa

Both were recorded in the same sessions with all Over-Nite Sensation session musicians playing on Apostrophe. I always listen to both, treat them as one etc. I think Tina Turner who was hired as a backing singer makes an appearance in the documentary.

Edit: Actually had a quick browse and I don't think she makes an appearance. Still sounds great though:

Woolly jumper with leather trousers! :O

Oh Paul :(

• Advertisement

Paul Young's re imagining of "Love of the common people" is one of my favourite songs from the eighties.I just love the production.

It is said though that no bargain bin was complete in the eighties without numerous copies of "No Parlez" I think I paid full price for mine:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement