Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,224 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Indie music invades TOTP!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭cml387

Errm why is Morrissey twirling some lupins.
    OK I am not nor never was a fan. There. I've said it.

From The Smiths to...Marilyn! :O :O

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Mar on this appearance

C_paFK2WsAA_bx7.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Is that from the "Penguin Classic"?

(Not a fan etc etc.).

• Advertisement

Simple Minds...shivers

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

After a few meh shows, this is more like it.

saw them in Croke Park 86 , great gig

Looking forward to the Buddy Holly documentary tonight on BBC Four!

The Style Council...shivers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

cml387 wrote: »
    Errm why is Morrissey twirling some lupins.
    OK I am not nor never was a fan. There. I've said it.

He looks so young and yet so old.
    Mozza. Irreplaceable.
    My favourite song is Late Night Maudlin Street.

infogiver wrote: »
    He looks so young and yet so old.
    Mozza. Irreplaceable.
    My favourite song is Late Night Maudlin Street.

Always been a fan of 'Alma Matters'.

For older TOTP fans, here's a clip of the camera rehearsal for a TOTP in 1975, with assorted floor managers and Noel Edmonds helping out on "Hold Me Tight.
    Followed by the talkback of the vision mixer counting bars for the camera shots on "Island Girl".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

The Who and now the Stones.
    This is more bloody like it. About time.

The Buddy Holly doc on BBC4 tonight would want to be pretty good to improve on the BBC Arena documentary from 1985 which you can see on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very enjoyable show that.

cml387 wrote: »
    The Buddy Holly doc on BBC4 tonight would want to be pretty good to improve on the BBC Arena documentary from 1985 which you can see on Youtube.

Oh yes, got that on vhs somewhere!

I so love Buddy Holly, what he would have become only for that plane crash, who knows! So influential, it's as if he knew he wouldn't be around for long as he packed in so much music in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

18 month career.some legacy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,272 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Confession time.

This is all I know about Frank Zappa:

He has a kid called Dweezil or something.
    Steve Vai was in his band for a bit.
    In my head, he looks like Weird Al Yankovic.
    I think he's supposed to be good.

I think it's time I took Run DMC's advice, and the next time someone is teaching I WILL get taught.

Frank Zappa was a true genius, one of the best guitarists ever, and died all too young :( (prostate cancer)

He was often lumped in with the '60s counterculture, but was a classically trained musician, hated hippies, regarded them as brainless and took the p*ss out of them and the likes constantly :) he abhorred drugs

If you want an accessible Zappa album, Sheik Yerbouti is a good one.

Parental advisory: bad language and sexual explicitness abound in his work :)

He was a huge believer in free speech and appeared in US Congress hearings about censorship of music.

Great video here, he blows these guys out of the water

silverharp wrote: »
    Simple Minds...shivers

Simple Minds were great up to and including New Gold Dream 81-82-83-84, a great album.

After that they went to complete US Top 40 Radio Friendly Unit Shifter sh*t.

Can never get over the accent Jim Kerr sings in either, other Glasgow bands like Teenage Fanclub sing in their actual speaking accent and in interviews took the p*ss out of him over it :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Frank Zappa was a true genius, one of the best guitarists ever, and died all too young :( (prostate cancer)

He was often lumped in with the '60s counterculture, but was a classically trained musician, hated hippies, regarded them as brainless and took the p*ss out of them and the likes constantly :) he abhorred drugs

If you want an accessible Zappa album, Sheik Yerbouti is a good one.

Parental advisory: bad language and sexual explicitness abound in his work :)

He was a huge believer in free speech and appeared in US Congress hearings about censorship of music.

Great video here, he blows these guys out of the water

Simple Minds were great up to and including New Gold Dream 81-82-83-84, a great album.

After that they went to complete US Top 40 Radio Friendly Unit Shifter sh*t.

Can never get over the accent Jim Kerr sings in either, other Glasgow bands like Teenage Fanclub sing in their actual speaking accent and in interviews took the p*ss out of him over it :)

I'm not a Simple Minds mega fan but this video seems to somehow capture the electric atmosphere of the early 80s, or maybe it's just the fact that it was my teens. I just love this:

https://youtu.be/b7XZPhgmTaw

I'm not a Simple Minds mega fan but this video seems to somehow capture the electric atmosphere of the early 80s, or maybe it's just the fact that it was my teens. I just love this:

https://youtu.be/b7XZPhgmTaw

Ooh I'm being followed :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hard not to think of the song Dont you forget about me and the movie the Breakfast Club and vice versa

I wonder do they intend to continue into 1984 with these old TOTPs?
    84 was pretty good too, to be fair.

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1984.shtml
    Bit of a nightmare for the Beeb with Frankie being banned and the 2 songs being No. 1 for so many weeks.

silverharp wrote: »
    Hard not to think of the song Dont you forget about me and the movie the Breakfast Club and vice versa

Which is where it all started to go wrong (or right, $$$$) for them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I think they will, they have already made "Top of The Pops - The Story of 1984" and they are pushing the TOTP repeats on Twitter a lot more recently. Someone has The Story of 1984 on his CV https://www.thetalentmanager.co.uk/talent/44151

Just an idea I'd be interested in getting peoples opinions on - should we spin off the TOTP shows into a separate thread "Top of The Pops on BBC Four" or something like that?

I think maybe it might attract some more passing traffic when the shows are on than this thread currently does. There could still be some crossover with this thread if it happens, and if the new thread didn't catch on we could revert to the Status Quo.

I don't mind either way, to be honest.

Which is where it all started to go wrong (or right, $$$$) for them

at the time it was just a natural progression, get big in the UK then crack the US, would be right to class them as Scottish U2? Also the big outdoor stadium gigs were starting to become a thing and they were a part of that. the 3 big concerts I went to at that time were U2 in Croke park in 85 then lucky me I was over in the US and my aunt brought me to see Bruce Springsteen in Giant Stadium and then I saw Simple Minds in Croke again in 86.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Skid X wrote: »

I think they will, they have already made "Top of The Pops - The Story of 1984" and they are pushing the TOTP repeats on Twitter a lot more recently. Someone has The Story of 1984 on his CV https://www.thetalentmanager.co.uk/talent/44151

Just an idea I'd be interested in getting peoples opinions on - should we spin off the TOTP shows into a separate thread "Top of The Pops on BBC Four" or something like that?

I think maybe it might attract some more passing traffic when the shows are on than this thread currently does. There could still be some crossover with this thread if it happens, and if the new thread didn't catch on we could revert to the Status Quo.

What's wrong with Status Quo?

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »

Maybe just amend the heading to add TOTP so people spot it?

hope they do 84 and 85 , that covers off my early teenage year :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement