Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.
    Just in case someone believes this, this is total lies [edit] That there is a risk to your shoes or lungs from what they are putting on your chips[/edit]

Please dont scare the lemmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

loveBBhate wrote: »
    1. None They're
    2. A Shower
    3. Of Two-Faced
    4. Money-Grabbing
    5. Lying Bastards

They earn less than me, with far less job security. People don't go into politics for the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Used to work in a bar in Corfu where all the spirits were flavoured wood alcohol. Watching your customers puck blood after a couple of weeks drinking all in the name of profit - lovely!
    Moral: when abroad, drink what the locals drink, in Corfu's case Metaxa brandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Flaker

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.

Vinegar is acid!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

They earn less than me, with far less job security. People don't go into politics for the money...

Perhaps we could rephrase that as 'People don't go into politics for the salary..." There are other paths to wealth in politics!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I want to go into your line of work for the money so. What is it???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I want to go into your line of work for the money so. What is it???:)

walter mitty lookalike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

if an animal in a well know pet store in Ireland, gets sick, the staff either break its neck or release it into the wild, they are too mean to pay a vet to cure it.

Sure vets do that aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Our Taisaoch gets paid more than Obama.

Politicians are guaranteed a massive pension.

I call bullshít.

When you buy something that advertises that it's "fat free", it may technically not have fat in it, but it has other ingredients that will cause you to gain weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Many years ago (21 actually) when I was 16 I did work experience for a week in a sweet factory. My main job was to break up out of date Easter eggs and put them in a big bowl. When the bowl was full I would bring them to another part of the factory where they would be melted down and turned into 'new' chocolate bars.

The one good thing about this was when the eggs contained packets of sweets I would put them in my pockets and bring them home. One day I got about twenty packets of Love Hearts.

The factory has long since closed down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

rawn wrote: »
    Our Taisaoch gets paid more than Obama.
    As of 2001, the president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account, and $19,000 for entertainment.[77][78] The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and President Bill Clinton in 1999 and went into effect in 2001.

$569,000 = €438,000 approx. The Taoiseach gets €200,000 plus €118,891 in 'expenses'.

Of course the main difference is that no-one gets elected President of the US to get rich, whereas here getting elected is the first step on the road to becoming rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

The amount of Doctors that are claiming fees for dead patients, and the level of what they claim would shock you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

you were crap

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it more than I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Working in IT repair companies I came across a lot of silly stuff. One in particular was one guy I worked with who had a penchant to go through people's Pictures folder on the machines that were dropped in for repair.

He mustn't have been too busy. Anybody that ever queried that where I used to work was brought into the workshop and shown the amount of PCs awaiting repair and told "these guys don't have time to look at your files".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

$569,000 = €438,000 approx. The Taoiseach gets €200,000 plus €118,891 in 'expenses'.

Of course the main difference is that no-one gets elected President of the US to get rich, whereas here getting elected is the first step on the road to becoming rich.

What so Enda doesn't get paid more than Obama?!? :eek: Another myth and stick to beat Enda with has been debunked?!? :eek:

Shock horror.

Look at what CEOs get paid compared to the Taoiseach. I really don't believe Enda is in it for the money. It's just a lazy way to criticise him and other politicians.

They don't actually say 'I'm not here', there would be war if they said that. They will advise you what to say to get the customer off the phone, offer the customer this and that (free credit or whatever). But sometimes, all the customer wants is a manager and they will then say 'ok, tell them they'll get a call within 24hrs'.

The managers where I work are fairly sound tbh, they just don't want to take calls. They will give you guidence to deal with the customer, just dont want to deal with them themselves.

That's still p!ss poor. Working in a call centre (or any job), you want to feel your manager will stand behind you if you need.

It's a cliche but you should never ask your staff to do something you wouldn't be willing to do yourself. I know the flip side is that if they were readily available you'd have some people taking advantage of it but trying to avoid speaking to your customers is poor imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Auto reject system for loan applications with the surname "Ward"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Know of a Hotel that has a till for Locals and also a till for tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

I've wanked and had sex in the toilets of a well known insurance company
    Did you have an all risks policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

In my first summer job in a London pub the drip trays were saved and filtered back into the cask ales. All except guinness and cider.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I've wanked and had sex in the toilets of a well known insurance company

And your employers knew, but didn't want the public to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Used to work in a bar in Corfu where all the spirits were flavoured wood alcohol. Watching your customers puck blood after a couple of weeks drinking all in the name of profit - lovely!
    Moral: when abroad, drink what the locals drink, in Corfu's case Metaxa brandy.

Would that have been in Kavos by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Worked in a supermarket that ran a competition you entered by putting your contact details on the back of your receipt and put the receipt into a box. The prize was a car. Watched hundreds of customers writing their details on the backs of receipts, whether they bought a can of coke or a weekly shop - all welcome to enter.

The winner was drawn "at random". Except it wasnt random. I was asked by a manager to go through the (big) box of receipts, select out the longest receipts in it, check the totals and bring him the top ten of highest value that had also used a loyalty card. The winner was chosen - at random no less - from the final ten.

Same place had me cutting mouldy bits out of quiches in the deli counter and mixing out of date meat with spicy sauce to cover the taste (this is a common one according to my current butcher).

Chucken wrote: »
    Would that have been in Kavos by any chance?

It would indeed. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

It would indeed. :)

Thought as much. That lovely place where most of the bars aren't owned by Greeks.
    Most Greeks are horrified by what goes on there so lets not tar the whole island based on what goes on there ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

Wow, it appears that working in low-end IT support and call centre type jobs is pretty horrendous stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Look at what CEOs get paid compared to the Taoiseach. I really don't believe Enda is in it for the money. It's just a lazy way to criticise him and other politicians.

I always have trouble believing any ridiculously well paid person when they say they aren't in it for the money. If Enda wasn't in it for the money, he wouldn't have claimed his extremely undeserved teachers pension for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I also worked in a retail store where the staff were warned about the implications of joining a Union.

Worked in a Deli. There was actually nothing wrong with the food at all but mass producing Tuna salad and Chicken salad has put me off sandwiches for life. That smells of all that mayonaise and the sound it makes when you're mixing it together. We used a power hose to clean the trays for the Oven, even then it was tough to get everything off, so Deli ovens could be cleaner but then that's how ovens are and the heat would kill any bacteria.

Apple Tech support are a shower of b@stards. iPods were very unreliable. The PSP was by far the least reliable gaming system, even worse than the original Xbox 360. Had 42 PSP's returned in one day before.

I always have trouble believing any ridiculously well paid person when they say they aren't in it for the money. If Enda wasn't in it for the money, he wouldn't have claimed his extremely undeserved teachers pension for example.

Fair enough. Entitled to your opinion but that's quite a cynical way to view the world.

• Advertisement

Chucken wrote: »
    Thought as much. That lovely place where most of the bars aren't owned by Greeks.
    Most Greeks are horrified by what goes on there so lets not tar the whole island based on what goes on there ;)

They were all owned by Greeks when I was there!

Advertisement