Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

newmug wrote: »
    Nope. You would be very surprised though, a big name computer chip manufacturer. I'm not saying any more.

Intel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Fishyfreak wrote: »
    My Da, a man with an iron stomach, a man who would put almost anything in a sandwich, a man who used to literally eat tripe and spread dripping onto bread............ refuses to eat Granby Burgers.

He used to work in the factory many a moon ago and won't touch them.

Whenever I ask him about it you would swear that he was a Vietnam veteran recalling the war: "You weren't there man!!! You don't know what went on!!!!".
    Well thanks for ruining grambys for me!!!
    I worked in uci and if you like the cheese dip I guess il just not post about it. But I wouldn't eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

A place I worked in barred us from joining a union. Not only that, but its the LAW that if you work 12 hr shifts, you MUST be in a union. No Guard, politician, judge seemed to care.

And what law exactly is this?

I've often found that the guards, judges and most politicians seem not to care about imaginary laws.

BTW - your employer cannot bar you from joining a union - there is a constitutional right for any worker in this state to join a trade union. Being dismissed for joining a union is an offence under S6 of the 1977 Unfair Dismissals Act.

What employers can do is refuse to engage with any trade union, meaning that it is pointless for their employees to join a union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

blackwhite wrote: »
    What employers can do is refuse to engage with any trade union, meaning that it is pointless for their employees to join a union.

See that's not really true. Unions serve other functions besides talking to employers such as advising their members on employment law issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down.

That's what vinegar is!
    WhiteRoses wrote: »
    In every single nightclub I've worked in (and I've worked in several) the toilets are cleaned by a minimum wage college student glass collector at about 4am, who happened to pull the short straw that night. Managers never give a shít so long as there isn't any visible piss or vomit they're easy going about it. 99.9% of the time they aren't cleaned properly at all.

As someone who has seen how a large portion of them are cleaned..Use at your own risk. There isn't bleach or toilet cleaner used. Quick mop of the floor and wipe the sinks/mirrors and your done unless an absolute horror has puked somewhere.

From my own experience I wouldn't use a club toilet (any club, not just the ones I've worked in) if you paid me.

It's a nightclub toilet, not an operating theatre, how clean do you reckon it needs to be. Once it doesn't stink, that's quite clean enough!
    Nope. You would be very surprised though, a big name computer chip manufacturer. I'm not saying any more.

Why not? If it's true, name them.
    Your job can't bar you from joining a union btw, just pick up the phone and tell the union to send you out a membership form, hey presto you're in a union (once you pay your fees of course, which is basically the only thing your new union will give a flying fúck about)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭alphasounds

McDonalds restaurants are really clean and fussy as fcuk about their supply lines and the ingredients/suppliers they use. I have no idea why they don't bang on about that more to the general public.

This Company was selling "Pink Slime "" not fit for Human Consumption "
    I would not trust or support anymore these kind of Business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

worked in a place that made parts for nato tanks, it was all hush hush, i think it had something to do with Irelands nuetrality.

dont think they were,nt allowed make the parts iust didnt want any hippy types giving out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Everytime you enter a search into google, it actually gets sent over to a huge secret data warehouse in China.
    Within split seconds, operatives then use Yahoo to find the results and sent it back via the Google front end.

huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

In a call centre when a supervisor or manager "isn't available" it means they've told the worker to say that, just to get them off the phone. So frustrating for the worker who's getting yelled at from an irate customer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

In a call centre when a supervisor or manager "isn't available" it means they've told the worker to say that, just to get them off the phone. So frustrating for the worker who's getting yelled at from an irate customer

everyone knows that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭blackwhite

See that's not really true. Unions serve other functions besides talking to employers such as advising their members on employment law issues.

You can get the same advice from CIB - I certainly wouldn't be keep on handing over monthly fees if all I was getting was advice that I can get for free from a state agency regardless.

The primary benefits of being in a union are the ability for collective bargaining over pay/conditions, and the ability to have union representation during a dispute.
    Working for an employer that refuses to engage with unions takes away these two key benefits - meaning that all your fees are really doing is help pay Jack O'Connor/David Begg's inflated salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I have to be honest, I worked in one of the worst call centres in the country some years ago and I rarely found this to be true. Usually the manager was busy getting yelled at by some other irate customer.

No manager worth their salt would openly do this because they are effectively saying to their staff "You're on your own mate. Do my job as well as yours." Very few people will work for someone like that.

That said, I'm sure there are managers who dodge the calls in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

This Company was selling "Pink Slime "" not fit for Human Consumption "
    I would not trust or support anymore these kind of Business.

McDs were using mechanically reclaimed meat up until 2003, they haven't used it since then. MRM is not, contrary to internet legend, ground up eyeballs and bones soaked in ammonia.

Pink Slime refers to boneless lean beef trimmings, which is meat separated using a centrifuge and then pushed through a mincer. It has stopped being used since 2012.

Neither of these methods is unsafe for consumption, they are just ways of stripping meat from bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

I actually don't have a problem with this whole thing about McD's or other places using stuff like that. Does it not show that they are at least using all the animal parts they can.. If you really wanted to know what you are eating you would ask before buying.. People over react it is a fast food chain after all. I would have more quams about using the same oil to fry stuff in not mentioning KFC there cough cough all week..

I want to think of some sca now for places I worked in.. Planning Permission and all that is a complete rip off but im sure ye already know that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

DeanAustin wrote: »
    I have to be honest, I worked in one of the worst call centres in the country some years ago and I rarely found this to be true. Usually the manager was busy getting yelled at by some other irate customer.

No manager worth their salt would openly do this because they are effectively saying to their staff "You're on your own mate. Do my job as well as yours." Very few people will work for someone like that.

That said, I'm sure there are managers who dodge the calls in other ways.

I work in a call centre now and the managers will do all in their power to NOT take a call. They will usually only take a live escalation if the customer is refusing point blank to get off the phone unless they speak to a manager first.

Most of the time when you DO receive a call back from a manager, they are not a manager at all, but an agent that has been there a while ie longer than a year.

When it says at the start of the call 'SOME' calls may be recorded? Be aware than every single call is recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I work in a call centre now and the managers will do all in their power to NOT take a call. They will usually only take a live escalation if the customer is refusing point blank to get off the phone unless they speak to a manager first.

Most of the time when you DO receive a call back from a manager, they are not a manager at all, but an agent that has been there a while ie longer than a year.

When it says at the start of the call 'SOME' calls may be recorded? Be aware than every single call is recorded.

Fair enough, you'd know better than me at the moment.

Do managers actually say to you "If anyone asks, I'm not here" type of thing or do they just pretend to be busy when an escalation happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think everyone knows this :p It also means that as a customer you might need to be clever in asking for work arounds... Like when one housemate moves to but the gas bill is in their name... Customer service agent on the phone can't suggest a way around the €200 deposit to change it to another housemate's name, but won't refuse you if suggest a viable way... Like adding a joint account holder and removing the departing housemate... But obviously given that calls are recorded its probably more than their job's worth to suggest it so try not to be annoyed at the person at the end of the line who is fairly helpless in it, just try to be creative yourself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Worked in the risk department of a major Irish bookie. Standard industry practice to restrict or close accounts that are likely to be unprofitable while increasing limits for mug punters. The idea is that you never want a mug punter to hit their max bet so their limits are constantly extended as their bet size increases (even if they are displaying signs of addiction / problem gambling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I actually used to work in a factory that packaged figrolls, and I can tell you I wouldn't eat them again after seeing some of the stuff that went on. Biscuits been dropped on the floor and been reused, machines not cleaned etc.

Same with frozen pizzas...

We used to play frisbee with the bases.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

havent seen a single nurse not wash their hands in the week i've been here.

saw one doctor alright, but he didn't touch anything. just stood there, being better than everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Worked in the biggest Hotel in London ( by bed numbers ) ,where the bar manager reused the slops from empty beer glasses .he was a little Italian Mafia type **** who had many scams going .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

havent seen a single nurse not wash their hands in the week i've been here.

saw one doctor alright, but he didn't touch anything. just stood there, being better than everybody else.

Perhaps the HIQA reports have made them realise that patients' lives are in their germy hands.

We're a bit behind the times; in other countries medical staff wear scrubs which are washed at high temperature in the hospital, and must never be worn outside. Here, I was cycling past Holles Street last week and seven or eight doctors with their white coats flying walked out on the way to their coffee break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I did the euro conversion for a "large irish-owned retailer" with branches north of the border.

It soon became apparent that they put Sterling income from the branches in the north, straight into their ledgers, in punts, without conversion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Michael Noonan

Bridget McCole wasn't a member of the public then, was she not? Ever since that, Noonan can fu<k right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fair enough, you'd know better than me at the moment.

Do managers actually say to you "If anyone asks, I'm not here" type of thing or do they just pretend to be busy when an escalation happens?

They don't actually say 'I'm not here', there would be war if they said that. They will advise you what to say to get the customer off the phone, offer the customer this and that (free credit or whatever). But sometimes, all the customer wants is a manager and they will then say 'ok, tell them they'll get a call within 24hrs'.

The managers where I work are fairly sound tbh, they just don't want to take calls. They will give you guidence to deal with the customer, just dont want to deal with them themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

if an animal in a well know pet store in Ireland, gets sick, the staff either break its neck or release it into the wild, they are too mean to pay a vet to cure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I've wanked and had sex in the toilets of a well known insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I like the bit about the poor lad working in the chipper who spilled some vinegar. It burned through his shoe. I wonder did it dissolve the floor as well. Dripping down into the basement.

What happened to his foot? It surely must have been damaged too;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

I've wanked and had sex in the toilets of a well known insurance company

you were crap

Advertisement