Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Apologies for posting with misinformation re Enda/Obama before.

I still find it hypocritical for him to accept such high earnings plus expense account when the rest of us have take cut after cut, but anyways, that's a topic for another thread.

I worked in a supermarket bakery a couple of years ago. We had to wear protective clothing, the same as what the butchers and deli staff would wear. After every shift you had to put them in the laundry locker with all the other dirty ones from the deli and butchers, then take a fresh pair but there was never enough fresh ones. We were told to dig through the piles of dirty ones (some covered in blood) and take out relatively clean ones, cos bakery staff worked in the back and the public couldn't see us. Surprised no one got sick. The funny part was we were told not to bring any home to was because it was unhygienic :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

They earn less than me, with far less job security. People don't go into politics for the money...

:D

Seems this post has been looked after so I won't bother.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

In a call centre when a supervisor or manager "isn't available" it means they've told the worker to say that, just to get them off the phone. So frustrating for the worker who's getting yelled at from an irate customer

I worked in Vodafone Call Centre Dundalk (the one where they transferred our jobs to Newry)

When taken a call and the cust wanted to speak to a manager, you simply put them on hold waited till the person beside you was off the phone and they pretended to be the manager.
    Also happened when working for Natwest in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

rawn wrote: »
    When you buy something that advertises that it's "fat free", it may technically not have fat in it, but it has other ingredients that will cause you to gain weight.
    Obviously, anything eaten in excess will cause you to gain weight.

If it didn't it wouldn't be food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alli24

Once worked in a well-known costume jewellery/ accessories shop and regularly had the job of gluing jewllery that had arrived in broken or was broken by a customer back together to then sell at full price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Rigged coin waterfalls in arcades.

I worked in an arcade for 4 years and we had many of these machines. Can you explain how these are rigged? Designed to make it difficult to win, of course. But rigged? No. They have shoots down the sides. That's how they make their money. The weight of the coins themselves tends to hold the coins in place. (That's why you see the 10-year-old sharks going for the seemingly less tempting machines with less coins)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,982 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Pogmothone wrote: »
    I used to work in Burger King when I was still in school, My sole duty was to cook the burgers, Id stand at the end of the cooking belt with a big box of frozen burgers and put six on at a time....Walk to the end and put the burger in an empty bun and pack them in a container ready for the burger maker to make them up...Sometimes they'd be sitting there for ages and sometimes not, Before they are made up they are microwaved for 10 seconds. To heat them up so the cheese melts....

You can actually see them do this in a local BK, don't think it's a secret.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

errlloyd wrote: »
    I work for one a few companies in the cities that offers tourists "free walking tours" - the companies actually charge the guides per person who goes on them. So if you don't tip your guide he still has to pay for you.

Almost everything in tourism is fed by commission. Hostel staff, guides and tourist information centres are all bull****. Even the most official looking tourist info places in the city charge for info to be displayed. In my industry any tour/pubcrawl/bus transfer a receptionist sells you they are making 20-40 percent on.

Sandemans free walking tours I assume? I see that they recruit people as freelance so there must be some bait and switch going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

A surprising number of politicians are hardworking, honest and decent human beings with a genuine sense of civic duty. The amount of abuse and harassment they receive from a certain of proportion of the electorate makes it an emotionally draining job.

The Department of Foreign Affairs remains an old boys club.

James Reilly is an abrasive, but extremely competent Minister of Health. The size of our country and the parochial nature of politics as a result makes radical change almost impossible.

Luke 'Ming' Flanagan is a hypocrite.

1 would be a surprising number in fairness.

krudler wrote: »
    1 would be a surprising number in fairness.

2 would be twice as surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I worked in a hotel where a fella got fired for sticking his mickey in the dishwasher.

she got a verbal warning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

maximoose wrote: »
    Auto reject system for loan applications with the surname "Ward"

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :confused:

A common name among a certain cross section of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I used to work in a factory where they made sausages, I don't eat sausages anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I used to work in a factory where they made sausages, I don't eat sausages anymore.

I love sausages so I know this is a mistake but....why?

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Apparently they come from pigs who do be rolling around in muck and ****e all day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 326 ✭✭Savoir.Faire

Laws are like sausages. You should never watch them being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Dell in Limerick during the nineties was a hellhole. You were not allowed join a Union. Radio Limerick did a piece on it and half way through they switched off the radio. That was why no radio played there. I went around taking names to join a union and was instantly dismissed.

Dominos pizzas ingredients are quite strange. for example their chopped sliced tomatoes last 3 years most of their veggie ingredients and food is like this. So I wouldn't trust their "fresh ingredients" marketing.

Because I know what goes into them and it ain't healthy, but I suspect most people have an idea of this anyway.

It's a block of pure fat that they mince up and add pink dye that makes the inside of the sausage.

We also made sausage rolls and they are even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

newmug wrote: »
    Nope. You would be very surprised though, a big name computer chip manufacturer. I'm not saying any more.

It wouldnt take much intelligence to work that one out.

For my one i worked in a hotel where they poured cheapass vodka into the smirnoff bottles.

• Advertisement

I worked in another factory that made foodstuff for a number of well known brands, the companies would order x number of pallets of product and if they weren't sold before the best before date for whatever reason then they were returned, de cartoned and sent out again with a new best before date on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.

Acetic acid by any chance? All vinegar is acetic acid mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.

But vinegar is acetic acid!? Acetic acid and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

McDonalds restaurants are really clean and fussy as fcuk about their supply lines and the ingredients/suppliers they use. I have no idea why they don't bang on about that more to the general public.

I actually got told by a doctor who deals with people with low immune systems that McDonalds are really really clean restaurants and advised his patients if they were eating out to get that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I actually got told by a doctor who deals with people with low immune systems that McDonalds are really really clean restaurants and advised his patients if they were eating out to get that!

Doctor Kevorkian?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Currently in St James on probably the highest anti-infection ward. The nurses had to put up a sign saying around 10 young doctors were seen entering not washing hands and if they don't wash their hands they are getting barred from the ward!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Fair enough, you'd know better than me at the moment.

Do managers actually say to you "If anyone asks, I'm not here" type of thing or do they just pretend to be busy when an escalation happens?

It's been a while, but they'd say to tell the caller that the manager is on a call/unavailable and see if there's anything I can offer/suggest. I would go back to the caller knowing how irate they are, and how much more irate this would make them, and then they insist on speaking to manager, and I have to fob them off with the callback (from a "senior" agent-who could have been newer than me but they know how to suk up) and if that doesn't work you'd be lucky if the manager would take it. They would secretly be hoping that the customer would get pissed off waiting and hang up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

That if someone in the hotel kitchen puts the unwashed lettuce on top shelf, not bottom shelf little slugs manage to get onto plates of customers, and a very red faced waitress has to ask if she can remove lunch from a customer without telling them why - 15 years ago and I still cringe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Aids testing kits are made by people who substitute part of the kit for water when they forget to order enough serum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Pogmothone wrote: »
    geneticially%2Bengineered%2Bchicken%2Bkfc%2B2.jpg

The reason why they call it KFC is because they can not use the word chicken anymore. Why? KFC does not use real chickens. They actually use genetically manipulated organisms. These so called “chickens” are kept alive by tubes inserted into their bodies to pump blood and nutrients throughout their structure. They have no feathers, and no feet. Their bone structure is dramatically shrunk to get more meat out of them.

Yeah that's bull.

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/kfc.asp

Advertisement