Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about places you've worked at that they don't want the general public to know

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

It's clearly a chicken, not a bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

loveBBhate wrote: »
    It's clearly a chicken, not a bull.

Exactly. Plus Kentucky Fried Bull doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I actually got told by a doctor who deals with people with low immune systems that McDonalds are really really clean restaurants and advised his patients if they were eating out to get that!

Having briefly worked in a McDonalds many years ago, I can vouch that its possibly the cleanest place you could eat in. The amount of cleaning the staff have to do is phenomenal.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Exactly. Plus Kentucky Fried Bull doesn't have the same ring to it.

Only the ring on the bull's nose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

This thread has great potential.

Worked in a coffee shop in Limerick recently for 2 weeks while finding a job, they like to appear fancy but are just arrogant gowls.

They would re use any clean looking napkins, re use the burnt milk, keep tea that a customer didnt want to the side and heat it up with the steam arm, Mircowave the sausages and bacon, touch scones with their hands, drink and eat around the food they were preparing, didnt keep the mayo cold, so was sitting in the warm all day long; the mayo around the side had started to go that cream colour and go hard by 11. used to freeze glasses in the freezer as well, hopefully one smashes everywhere one day.

They did all this and proabably more, was only there 2 weeks, but they used to give out when I didnt put the spoon to the right hand side of the cup and when I didnt polish the cutlery properly, so they went to all this effort of presentation and then dipped their finger in the soup to see if it was hot enough. Mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Pogmothone wrote: »
    I used to work in Burger King when I was still in school, My sole duty was to cook the burgers, Id stand at the end of the cooking belt with a big box of frozen burgers and put six on at a time....Walk to the end and put the burger in an empty bun and pack them in a container ready for the burger maker to make them up...Sometimes they'd be sitting there for ages and sometimes not, Before they are made up they are microwaved for 10 seconds. To heat them up so the cheese melts....
    Not exactly a secret they dont want you to know. You can see them microwaving them right there in front of you when your at the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

lkionm wrote: »
    This thread has great potential.

Worked in a coffee shop in Limerick recently for 2 weeks while finding a job, they like to appear fancy but are just arrogant gowls.

They would re use any clean looking napkins, re use the burnt milk, keep tea that a customer didnt want to the side and heat it up with the steam arm, Mircowave the sausages and bacon, touch scones with their hands, drink and eat around the food they were preparing, didnt keep the mayo cold, so was sitting in the warm all day long; the mayo around the side had started to go that cream colour and go hard by 11. used to freeze glasses in the freezer as well, hopefully one smashes everywhere one day.

They did all this and proabably more, was only there 2 weeks, but they used to give out when I didnt put the spoon to the right hand side of the cup and when I didnt polish the cutlery properly, so they went to all this effort of presentation and then dipped their finger in the soup to see if it was hot enough. Mental.

Welcome to the gastronomy trade.
    This happens everywhere.

The 2 second rule gets extended , depending in how busy you are, and how expensive the thing was that fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Welcome to the gastronomy trade.
    This happens everywhere.

The 2 second rule gets extended , depending in how busy you are, and how expensive the thing was that fell.

Been doing it 5 years now through college.

More so the notion they liked to portray about the food and coffee they were serving. They used to go down to dunes and get the salads that were reduced because they were going off and use them for 2 days.

They gave out to me for wasting a tea bag. I replied, but we can't use it again and there is no one here.

I was just so used to high standard of cleanliness and waste control in my old job of costa, then I was manager of a coffee shop. I was taken aback by the standards behind the counter and out with customers.

It's just something I would never do. I tend to have a habit of watching staff work and don't see it to the levels they did it. Pair of **** they were anyway an happier in my new job than I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I went on a " stage " 2 years ago in a 2 Michelin star restaurant in London.

It was the most disgusting kitchen I've ever stepped into ( 100's)
    The staff room was in the basement, where the food was stored, there were 3 waste pipes, every one of them had millions of crawling little bugs / flies.
    Kitchen was a nest of old food, forgotten specials and dirty uniforms.

The 5 chefs were doing the work of 10, 16 hours a day and simply too exhausted to clean.

The difference between the 2 worlds of the dining room and the back of house is worlds apart, separated by a door.

In fairness, that wasn't the norm, almost all high end kitchens I've worked in have been spotless, with huge care placed on protecting the food and serving it at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

On the subject of call centres and "Managers" taking calls, in my experience 9 times out of ten when you called in and asked to speak to a manager you were speaking to me or someone like me. I was a "Floorwalker" and had the same managerial powers as the lad who puts the gherkins on a big mac. In the year I was there I think I can count on one hand how many team leaders went on a call when asked.

Also, when you have a telephone line based internet connection and call your isp due to technical fault/speed problem they will tell you it is because you are not connected to the 'Master Socket' or because you are "Too far away from the exchange"

During training we were actually told to use these two reasons as much as possible to allay anger to a worse than crap service, in fact I remember a recorded call where an agent had used the exchange line, only for the customer to tell them the exchange was right outside their house! The reason the training guy played it? Because the agent admitted it was bulls*it when called on it, moral of story was to lie and keep on lying!

And people wonder why I would rather starve than go back...

• Advertisement

GAAman wrote: »
    On the subject of call centres and "Managers" taking calls, in my experience 9 times out of ten when you called in and asked to speak to a manager you were speaking to me or someone like me. I was a "Floorwalker" and had the same managerial powers as the lad who puts the gherkins on a big mac. In the year I was there I think I can count on one hand how many team leaders went on a call when asked.

Also, when you have a telephone line based internet connection and call your isp due to technical fault/speed problem they will tell you it is because you are not connected to the 'Master Socket' or because you are "Too far away from the exchange"

During training we were actually told to use these two reasons as much as possible to allay anger to a worse than crap service, in fact I remember a recorded call where an agent had used the exchange line, only for the customer to tell them the exchange was right outside their house! The reason the training guy played it? Because the agent admitted it was bulls*it when called on it, moral of story was to lie and keep on lying!

And people wonder why I would rather starve than go back...

Don't ever lower yourself to being associated with gherkins, you poor thing, I know a few lads who have had bad experiences with them myself, head up pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

One certain establishment in Dublin 4, the owners take all the tips and give them out on a weekly basis. Was usually €30 each, which we would have cleared in a day easily!

Same people (owners are sisters) were fighting and one of them took a burger off a plate ready for a customer and threw it at the other one.

Also had there pretty little dog roaming the kitchen (all of the time).

All disgraceful carry on really, two mean witches! Treated every staff member like they were below dirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

We didn't water down your pint Sir

You are drinking Bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Perhaps the HIQA reports have made them realise that patients' lives are in their germy hands.

We're a bit behind the times; in other countries medical staff wear scrubs which are washed at high temperature in the hospital, and must never be worn outside. Here, I was cycling past Holles Street last week and seven or eight doctors with their white coats flying walked out on the way to their coffee break.

No actually they were medical students. They also wear white coats and their college rooms are a little down the street, the docs get their coffee in the hospital as while wearing their bleeps they don't leave the premises. Just a little fact, just cause it looks like a doc doesn't mean it is one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Everytime you enter a search into google, it actually gets sent over to a huge secret data warehouse in China.
    Within split seconds, operatives then use Yahoo to find the results and sent it back via the Google front end.
    Oddly enough Bing was actually caught using Google.

http://searchengineland.com/google-bing-is-cheating-copying-our-search-results-62914

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Strituck wrote: »
    The amount of Doctors that are claiming fees for dead patients, and the level of what they claim would shock you.

This is just wrong. Report them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    This is just wrong. Report them.

He can't, he's dead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

He can't, he's dead.

;)

I meant Strituck to report them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Ever wondered why airlines overbook seats? Because on average about 10-20 people don't check in for a flight, and for the airlines to make money they need to have full planes.

Wouldn't they have that even if people didn't show up?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

More people on the planes = more suckers to buy their crap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Make even more money? They now have a plane + 20 extra paying customers

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

That didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

McDonalds restaurants are really clean and fussy as fcuk about their supply lines and the ingredients/suppliers they use. I have no idea why they don't bang on about that more to the general public.

The same reason that it's a no-no in the airline industry for an airline to talk up its safety record, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

numorouno wrote: »
    Make even more money? They now have a plane + 20 extra paying customers

I'm suspicious of that one too. I mean, with the amount of flights I take (and the times I've very nearly arrived late) I'd have been caught out at some point by a full plane even though I'm booked, checked in and in the boardign queue.

I know some of the welcome/travel/holiday inn/lodge/break chains used to intentionally overbook, but ket getting caught out as people kept arriving to full hotels with valid reservaations and being turned away. Did not do their reputation any favours in the long run.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

That didn't happen.

And anyway, it's not a secret that vinegar is dilute acetic acid.

Plus, if a flight is fully booked out, but not everyone shows up, it's surely better for the airline as they'd spend less on fuel. Now they might overbook to take advantage of the anticipated empty seats and make more money that way, but the plane being less-than-full in itself wouldn't cost more than the plane being full.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hfallada wrote: »
    That vinegar from a chipper is not actually vinegar. It's made from 20 litre drums of acid diluted down. My co worker said he once split it on the floor and it melted his shoes. The same acid has a warning about damage to lungs.

Unless chipper vinegar is brown its this diluted acid.

That's essentially what ALL vinegar is...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

Never trust a Sales agent!

No matter how good they make something seem, it will likely have hundreds of flaws or drawbacks hidden away in the terms & conditions that you are never informed of until after you're tied into a 12 or 24 month contract.

For example, if you are told "It's an 'Unlimited' service". There's a 99% chance that there is some sort of 'fair usage policy' that sets a 'limit' on the 'unlimited' service. (Mainly broadband & phone companies)

Advertisement