Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,292 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    MGS2 really got shat on back when it came out due to the 'disappearance' of Snake and the introduction of Raiden, but if I'm honest I really really enjoyed it as a game, in many ways more than MGS.

The ending is the usual insane levels of madness that only Kojima could possibly get away with.

Yeah MGS2 had a lot of issues, but it was mostly to do with how it presented the story (so many Codec scenes to avoid rendering cutscenes) and some small gameplay sections. But for the most part the gameplay was rock solid. It really is a great game.

That said, MGS3 is, to me, the best game of all time. It's so damn fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,407 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Would be a challenge I'd be looking for. Thanks for the reply. I'd heard great things about them so when I saw it in CEX I just picked it up. Only afterwards did I read it was a "stealth" game which isn't really a genre I'd have much interest in. I'm more than willing to give them a go though. Lately I'm finding myself starting games then dropping them after a while but returning at a later stage. Really want to find a game that holds my attention from start to finish. Hopefully these can do that.

The version of MGS2 you get in the HD collection is the substance edition which comes with a raft of extra content such as snake tales which ramp up the difficulty albeit with truncated story telling, and the 300 or so VR missions which when played today show just how polished and well rounded the gameplay engine was in MGS2, and they get to a point of old school toughness which add to the sense of achievement for finally beating them.

MGS games can be like marmite for some people, but one thing they always did right was gameplay. No MGS games handle poorly, yes old games feel old but things like the pressure sensitive trigger buttons in MGS2 are a practical and ingenious idea that you don't see in modern titles. Kojima may have told off the wall stories but he made sure the games themselves were highly polished and thoroughly playtested quality products.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Nice one lads. Looking forward to starting them now. After Bloodborne, forgot how addictive BB is. I'll finish it in next few days and then start on MGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭recyclops

I picked up the same collection played through them all and now on 4 I really didn't remember the story being this rubbish. It's taking away from my enjoyment of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

1, 2 and especially 3 are the standouts in the series. I finished 1 in a weekend. I remember my flat mate came home on the sunday evening having left me in the same position on the friday :)
    Never got the hate for 2, it will forever be remembered by me as one of the best video game experiences if ever had only to be surpassed by 3.

What a game, the perfect mix of stealth and action with an amazing soundtrack. The bondesque title track is superb.

https://youtu.be/_CbFAZ2ztlE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Really enjoyed this, only played it lately incredibly, life and all that getting in the way. The gameplay was prioritized over the indulgent cut scenes more so and it really stood to it for what this game was and the narrative of the entire series.

Of course it was not without it's frustrations or flaws but it's never going to be perfect, a great addition to the series though which unfortunately looks like it's done too. Remakes of MG1 and 2 now knowing what we know could have been incredible

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Really enjoyed this, only played it lately incredibly, life and all that getting in the way. The gameplay was prioritized over the indulgent cut scenes more so and it really stood to it for what this game was and the narrative of the entire series.

Of course it was not without it's frustrations or flaws but it's never going to be perfect, a great addition to the series though which unfortunately looks like it's done too. Remakes of MG1 and 2 now knowing what we know could have been incredible
    I tried to replay MGS1 a while ago, the control system and camera view really has not aged well. It made it quite annoying to play.

Haven't played MGS1 in forever, my first wow gaming moment that game. Really changed the landscape of gaming for me, but just in case you pickee me up wrong, I don't mean remake of MGS1 I meant remakes of MG1 and MG2.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Haven't played MGS1 in forever, my first wow gaming moment that game. Really changed the landscape of gaming for me, but just in case you pickee me up wrong, I don't mean remake of MGS1 I meant remakes of MG1 and MG2.

Not gonna happen

callaway92 wrote: »
    Not gonna happen

Which is what I said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

Which is what I said.

You never know, if Konami head guys are all making profits, they will see the success Capcom are having with remakes of the Gamecubes RE, the impressive looking RE2 and heard they are looking to do more, so Konami may try the same.
    More so after MG Survive, if they won't learn from that, they never will.

Early release for the humble bundle.

Is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Early release for the humble bundle.

Is it any good?

The gameplay is solid so I'd recommend it if you are happy enough with that.
    The story does not have a real ending and the game is unfinished.
    It's also one of the more contrived stories Kojima has attempted to write.

tuxy wrote: »

Yeah I'd agree. The gameplay is fantastic and although many of the missions and locations are recycled, it's still a lot of fun.

The story however is fairly bonkers even by Kojima/MGS standards, and there are a lot of unfinished bits and missed opportunities throughout. Plus a lot of small annoyances throughout.

But overall, it's an enjoyable game to play and you could easily sink 30+ hours into it.

Yes, expect to enjoy the game loads but occasionally be annoyed that the story goes on weird tangents.
    Then WTF why are the credits rolling, I've only just started the second chapter!
    It's still a reasonably long game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

tuxy wrote: »

You could say its Metal Gear Solid.
    Plays much better than the other MGS games but you miss their zany boss battles and definitive endings, I imagine very few reached the end of chapter 2 in this, I checked out not long into the 2nd chapter

Only plays better if you like open world.
    The other games were more like interactive movies with great cinematic scenes. This is missing from V but you go gain more freedom

In order of my favourites I'd put it 3,1,2,5,4

Hmmmm. Open world games aren't my thing

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's open world / base building / free roam type thing.

It's ok, but I think you'd need to seriously work at it to finish it. I never did, got bored after a while as it gets very samey.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MontyChips

Gameplay is great and the environment is stunning but feels like it was unfinished. Class game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

If you like waiting around a lot, you'll love the helicopter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Also, it's pretty fun to fulton balloon an entire base. Something about unconscious people and animals being sucked up into the air was just good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I never showered enough in the game. When the flies started buzzing around my head, I knew I was stinking so off to the shower I went.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Also, it's pretty fun to fulton balloon an entire base. Something about unconscious people and animals being sucked up into the air was just good fun.

Except the repeated lines from Miller...

"Yes Miller. he's coming too. Everyone is coming. Everything is coming. Even that goat over there is coming. How do you not understand this by now?"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Reinstalled this today as I want to start fresh haven't played in years. I vaguely remember why now. You can't start a new game????? I have a 160 hour save file that I'd love to get around completing everything on but really want a fresh start for now but can't seem to do that without deleting my save?

It looks like i have to play on a different profile for new game if i really to keep my end game save intact??

Right, deleted my local save and hope the new save doesn't auto overwrite the cloud save.

Anyway, I forgot how mental the intro was. I'm mad to get into the afghan gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Is this the ps4 version?

On PS5 there is a specific option to uncheck to not automatically upload your save to the cloud, then it’s pretty straightforward to upload/download whenever you need.

I think that's a generic option for all games? I tried to look if each app has it specifically but couldn't find it. Sometimes i get an option do i want to overwrite the cloud save but it seems to be for random games. I must look into it more later.

Anyway, the intro went quicker than i remembered and man, it's just so satisfying scoping out a base, infiltrating, finding resources, completing the objective and getting out of there without an alarm. There were already bits where I felt great about getting around a usual but then regretting not going right through them in case i missed resources in buildings so i guess it tried to reward you for getting in close.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I loved using the Fulton system in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ketchupmessi63

You sir reminded me that this is the only mainline MGS game that I've finished merely a single time... I've beaten MGS 1-4 at least three times each, and I even got the Foxhound/Big Boss badges in Snake Eater and Guns of the Patriots. And earning those took some doing, let me tell ya...

But I don't know, I never thought again about Phantom Pain after finishing it, might be due to how the story is so glaringly devoid of a conclusion or how "microorganisms/parasites" are the magical answers for all those otherworldly concepts...

Advertisement