Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid V

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

To those of you on 100 hours, what do you tend to do after completing the story line? Do you replay missions or just wander around hurting innocent Soviet soldiers?

Does anyone bother much with the fob stuff?

I've just finished the story, bar the last two extreme missions that I sincerely couldn't be arsed with, but don't think there's much left to keep me entertained

I never bothered with the FOB stuff.

Between the main missions and all the side missions, there's a lot of hours put in to that. A lot of the time I'd also just go for collecting resources for certain weapon/equipment upgrades. But to be honest, if your interest is waning at this point, yeah there's probably not a huge pile worth doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

To those of you on 100 hours, what do you tend to do after completing the story line? Do you replay missions or just wander around hurting innocent Soviet soldiers?

Does anyone bother much with the fob stuff?

I've just finished the story, bar the last two extreme missions that I sincerely couldn't be arsed with, but don't think there's much left to keep me entertained

365 hrs on record.

I pretty much do the FOB events and sometimes do indirect retaliation. That's when you invade an FOB of a player who invaded one of the FOBs of someone you're allied with. In my case that's most people who are on my friends list. I boot the game up a few times a week to send out my combat staff on deployments to earn resources or gain different kinds of soldiers to fortify my FOB. Participate in weekly/daily PF Battles and use missiles and missile defenses against certain targets. Use the PF points from that to buy resources for new security devices or equipment for security staff.

Then I head to Metal Gear Online 3. Got a new friend added to play with. Can do a lot when you use VOIP. The in-game mics are gunk.

Think I was hunting S ranks before I stopped playing. Looked at the multiplayer and walked way in disgust. Although dated and laggy I still maintain peace walker absolutely nailed endgame and co-op. I sunk so many hours in to that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Folks, very late to play this, wanted to wait until I had a ps4 instead of playing it on ps3. Metal Gear mad fan, played all previous versions to death. Opening sequence on tanker MGS2 is still one of the best. Platinums on them all where available including Raidens slash fest. Anyone remember the sniper trials in MGS2 where you protect the box/curry from incoming soldiers? My one occasion where I wanted to smash the joy pad in pieces. Must have taken a thousand tries to clear. MGRR also a tough plat.

Anyway back on thread and forget the nostalgia, I am early into this playthrough and am just not feeling this. Feels empty. I pumped many an hour into peace Walker to platinum building my MB, need to do it all over again in PP. I am not connecting with characters or story so far albeit game mechanics are excellent but seems very repetitive. Please tell me this gets a lot better. 1st MG title I am not dying to get home to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

BLUEYK wrote: »
    Folks, very late to play this, wanted to wait until I had a ps4 instead of playing it on ps3. Metal Gear mad fan, played all previous versions to death. Opening sequence on tanker MGS2 is still one of the best. Platinums on them all where available including Raidens slash fest. Anyone remember the sniper trials in MGS2 where you protect the box/curry from incoming soldiers? My one occasion where I wanted to smash the joy pad in pieces. Must have taken a thousand tries to clear. MGRR also a tough plat.

Anyway back on thread and forget the nostalgia, I am early into this playthrough and am just not feeling this. Feels empty. I pumped many an hour into peace Walker to platinum building my MB, need to do it all over again in PP. I am not connecting with characters or story so far albeit game mechanics are excellent but seems very repetitive. Please tell me this gets a lot better. 1st MG title I am not dying to get home to play.

I gave up on it too, just couldn't get into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Recently finished it. The story wasn't up to much, messing about at mother base wasn't much fun, but after a while I found myself going to it for a little while every evening.

I think it's just when you start getting good it becomes a lot of fun to try different tactics and weapons for each mission. And I'm someone who generally plays a game on easy settings to enjoy the story and some good graphics, but I ended up enjoying this a lot so I say stick with it just a little while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly, if you're not into it now, you won't get into it too much more.

There's some great missions/cut-scenes in it, but I totally agree on enjoying the linear gameplay of the older games better.

Even though Peace Walker was of a similar idea (separate missions), it really was a gem of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

callaway92 wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're not into it now, you won't get into it too much more.

There's some great missions/cut-scenes in it, but I totally agree on enjoying the linear gameplay of the older games better.

Even though Peace Walker was of a similar idea (separate missions), it really was a gem of a game.

Preferred Peace Walker as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭Corvo

It's a truly awful game in my opinion, if anything due to the fact it promised so much and the size of the budget could have gone to so many other developers to put to so much good use.

I understand that Konami cut the cord, which would inevitably have its consequences, but even at this early stage, you must find the open world bland and uninteresting? Even at Mother Base, its just a repeated landscape over and over, with a few soldiers dotted about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think for the most part, it is a good game. The issue is even with so many different weapon and equipment options, nearly every mission just becomes the core formula of "Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Tranq Headshot - Tranq Headshot - Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Fulton - Fulton".

The core gameplay is great and all, and some parts of the open world are great, but tranq fulton tranq fulton tranq fulton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,415 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Penn wrote: »
    I think for the most part, it is a good game. The issue is even with so many different weapon and equipment options, nearly every mission just becomes the core formula of "Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Tranq Headshot - Tranq Headshot - Tranq Headshot - Fulton - Fulton - Fulton".

The core gameplay is great and all, and some parts of the open world are great, but tranq fulton tranq fulton tranq fulton.

Yeh,

I found once I got a Silenced Tranq Sniper and also a silenced stun secondary weapon the game became an absolute doddle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Penn wrote:

callaway92 wrote:
    I found once I got a Silenced Tranq Sniper and also a silenced stun secondary weapon the game became an absolute doddle.

Agree with this. I never needed any weapons beyond the tranq handgun tranq sniper and an assault rifle. (Bar the occasional use of an entry level rocket launcher.)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Bracken3000

Some developers have good ideas but make a bad game, MGSV is a good game with bad ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

The game play mechanics are wonderful, however the idea that MGSV is an open world game in the truest sense of the term is completely wrong.

Having the maps open for roaming and exploration added little to the experience, yes the vast maps were well utilised in some missions but over all the most the sand box offered was options for tinkering and little else.

Mother Base felt like a half finished and rushed to market feature in a game who's very narrative was unfinished at launch and will remain so seemingly forever as a result of Konami's desperation to get the game released and Kojima out the door.

Essentially MGSV is for its faults a brilliant game, but it does not have a brilliant story, certainly not in keeping with the series tradition (and yes many people never liked MGS's story I know) and it acts as a dreadful bookend for the series in narrative terms, however the fact remains that there is a lot of fun to be had with the game in spite of its many flaws, it just plays really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah I was reading through a thread last week of how to make this game better and someone said to turn off literally all the casual-catering features like slow motion, reduce use of firearms (even tranquiliser pistol), don't mark enemies. Said it completely changed the game to something amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I loved Metal Gear 1 , 2 and 3.

Never finished 4 (but I've seen the endings) ...and stopped again halfway through 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Can anyone tell me if this game picks up or changes direction at all in the second half?

Playing through it at the moment and I'm around 20 missions in. Loving the gameplay mechanics but playing the same 'infiltrate base' type mission time and time again is becoming painfully boring. Do the missions get more interesting or should I just cut my losses and move onto something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Can anyone tell me if this game picks up or changes direction at all in the second half?

Playing through it at the moment and I'm around 20 missions in. Loving the gameplay mechanics but playing the same 'infiltrate base' type mission time and time again is becoming painfully boring. Do the missions get more interesting or should I just cut my losses and move onto something new?

There are some cool novel missions near the end of the game but it's pretty repetitive for the majority of the missions.
    I can't remember how many missions there are so I don't know if you are near the end of not. Long time since I played it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's about 50ish main missions many of which are the same. There are ample side quests which are rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

So no real change up then? Think I'll put it on the back burner for a while, gameplay is amazing but the complete lack of variety is wearing me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Playing this again as it's 'free' on ps plus, forgot how good it was. Cleaning up successfully ops and side missions and mission tasks I didn't complete last time. Had a **** ton of rewards that launched countless soldiers and resources to my mother base.

I really miss
    Quiet
    though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Evade

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I really miss
    Quiet
    though :(
    There was an update a while ago that
    lets you get her back by clearing Cloaked in Silence 7 more times in a row without killing her.
    It shouldn't take too long with endgame gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Evade wrote: »
    There was an update a while ago that
    lets you get her back by clearing Cloaked in Silence 7 more times in a row without killing her.
    It shouldn't take too long with endgame gear.

I'll try that thanks although why do ya have to do it 7 times the crazy feckers.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'll try that thanks although why do ya have to do it 7 times the crazy feckers.
    Because of the diminishing returns for replaying missions it ends up costing you GMP (or watever the currency is) in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just finished metal gear solid ground zeroes there yet again and it really is a good game. Short yes. But good. It's a shame the phantom pain would be forgettable.

In fact looking back.... Yeah the phantom pain wasn't the best. Had barely any story (who wants to listen to story elements of a mgs game through cassettes too) and while the open world looked nice there was barely anything to do.

They dropped the ball with it. But hey that's it. No more hideo mgs games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Not MGSV related but are then earlier MGS games really good? Difficult? I bought the HD collection a few weeks ago. Loads if games there but the MGS series is something I've been curious about for a while now.

Not MGSV related but are then earlier MGS games really good? Difficult? I bought the HD collection a few weeks ago. Loads if games there but the MGS series is something I've been curious about for a while now.
    They're worth playing and you can just stick them on easy if you don't want a challenge but on normal they weren't that hard. It might be hard to get used to them if it's your first time because the controls and mechanics are a little old fashioned. MGS2 was also weirdly prescient about social media and online stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Evade wrote: »
    They're worth playing and you can just stick them on easy if you don't want a challenge but on normal they weren't that hard. It might be hard to get used to them if it's your first time because the controls and mechanics are a little old fashioned. MGS2 was also weirdly prescient about social media and online stuff.

Would be a challenge I'd be looking for. Thanks for the reply. I'd heard great things about them so when I saw it in CEX I just picked it up. Only afterwards did I read it was a "stealth" game which isn't really a genre I'd have much interest in. I'm more than willing to give them a go though. Lately I'm finding myself starting games then dropping them after a while but returning at a later stage. Really want to find a game that holds my attention from start to finish. Hopefully these can do that.

Would be a challenge I'd be looking for. Thanks for the reply. I'd heard great things about them so when I saw it in CEX I just picked it up. Only afterwards did I read it was a "stealth" game which isn't really a genre I'd have much interest in. I'm more than willing to give them a go though. Lately I'm finding myself starting games then dropping them after a while but returning at a later stage. Really want to find a game that holds my attention from start to finish. Hopefully these can do that.
    If you want a challenge play MGS2 on extreme, there's three (I think) healing items to be found and a few fixed healing points and most bosses can two hit kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

MGS2 really got shat on back when it came out due to the 'disappearance' of Snake and the introduction of Raiden, but if I'm honest I really really enjoyed it as a game, in many ways more than MGS.

The ending is the usual insane levels of madness that only Kojima could possibly get away with.

Advertisement