Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

There are some seriously cute babies on this thread!!
    We are getting on well here. She is a pretty easy baby thankfully. We have been away from home for almost four weeks now due to my surgery and needing 24 hour help looking after her.
    She has no real routine yet, she feeds and sleeps great but the times vary day to day. Some days sleepier, other days hungrier. Though she generally averages 4-5oz four hourly during the day and usually goes at least 8 hours between her evening feed and middle of the night feed - maybe feed at 8, sleep at 9.30, wake at 4.30 etc. I'm not worried by lack of routine, she is still so little and considering the little growth spurts they go through I suppose it's normal that the days can vary!! Plenty of time for routine when we get home in a few weeks ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Dizzy We went through the same thing with our little missy she was put on baby gaviscon but the constipation was terrible and she would get so upset. Doctor put her on losec and we have never looked back she has gone from a screaming baby who would be so so upset-was heart breaking,to a content little thing. Now it does flare up the odd time but its much better.

My little miss is 9 weeks +3 she is having 4 x 6 oz bottles then her las bottle she usually only drinks about 3 its all she wants. Touch wood it continues we have good routine going! She sleeps usually from about 12 till 8 or 9 in morning so delighted-hope to god haven't jinxed myself! Its funny when she was a newborn I thought id never sleep again! !! Great to hear healthy babies all round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ah girls great to hear how everyone getting on well we have reflux here too no gaviscon but th? Last 3days she is back to screaming and kicking and pushing bottle away even though she wants it so think it will be back to the Dr for us maybe, she hasn't been weighted in over 3weeks dying to know what she weighs now I know she has gotte! Much bigger in the last week or so 10weeks old here can't believe how quick time is going xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

We have an angel here. 8 weeks old on Thursday and she sleeps right through the night. Takes her last feed between 9 and 10 at night, and won't wake again until 7 or 8 the following morning. She takes one 3 hour nap in the day and is awake for the rest of it. We have full on smiles and some giggles now too. She's holding her head up fine on her own and loves bright colours and music (making Disney on Netflix a real treat for her). Lovely red gums, lots of dummy and fist chewing and a pool of drool daily would suggest we will be seeing teeth pretty soon, although it only seems to pain her at night :o
    10462407_10152427874817998_6753442098430508007_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Hi girls, my little fella will be 7 weeks on Thursday and taking 6oz 6 times a day. Is this too much ?? I don't think he'll be able to go to just 5 times a day tho. Maybe I should try and see...

Also I'm wondering when you say baby sleeps from 10 or 11pm till 6/7am ... Does baby stay awake all evening until that time and then bed or do you put them down earlier and then get themup for the last feed ?? I put my fella to bed in cot at 8pm then up for feed at 1030pm and he'll sleep till 4/ 5am ish then back to sleep till 730am.

I love hearing how everyone is getting on xx

• Advertisement

Hi Shivers, I don't think 6oz 6 times a day is too much because really if that's what he wants he must need it :-). Id say if you want to go to 5 feeds try and get him to take more at each feed- tho easier said then done then space out the feeds four hours apart with a hope of him going longer at night. Though every baby is different and he might just need the 6 a day for a little while. You prob do this already but my lo usually wakes at 9 but sometimes she will wake at 7 or 8 but she doesn't cry just moves and kicks but I leave her and she usually goes back to sleep. If she cries I lift her though. Im not an expert just a few ideas im just going with it :-

"Also I'm wondering when you say baby sleeps from 10 or 11pm till 6/7am ... Does baby stay awake all evening until that time and then bed or do you put them down earlier and then get themup for the last feed ?? I put my fella to bed in cot at 8pm then up for feed at 1030pm and he'll sleep till 4/ 5am ish then back to sleep till 730am."

My lo sleeps from about 12.30 till 9 with no feeds or anything in between. It varies whether she is up or not whole evening usually she would be awake good bit of evening the maybe sleep from like 10 just in her bouncer or pram carry cot then I wake her and feed her about 11.30 though im starting to think I maybe should just put her down causes I basically feed her in her sleep and alot of times only takes 2 oz buy im afraid if she didn't get that little bit she would wake in middle of night and whole routine would be gone-im a bit of a control freak :-L. Also would mean she is only having 4 bottles a day :O. X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

some very cute facial expressions in those photos!

routine? LOL!, sleeping through the night? ROFLMAO! everyday is different here. nights are bit more settled. feeds 11pm, 2am, 5am, 7am,... later on random basis. if he's asleep for more than 3hrs I start panicking and keep checking on him (is he breathing? sort of thing) because it's so rare and unusual.
    my partner is pushing switching him to formula idea that we could get more sleep at night but I'm having none of it. Human milk for human babies! We will have to move to formula eventually, he's needs are increasing while my supply remains the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

j@utis wrote: »
    some very cute facial expressions in those photos!

routine? LOL!, sleeping through the night? ROFLMAO! everyday is different here. nights are bit more settled. feeds 11pm, 2am, 5am, 7am,... later on random basis. if he's asleep for more than 3hrs I start panicking and keep checking on him (is he breathing? sort of thing) because it's so rare and unusual.
    my partner is pushing switching him to formula idea that we could get more sleep at night but I'm having none of it. Human milk for human babies! We will have to move to formula eventually, he's needs are increasing while my supply remains the same.

Don't overdo yourself, it's not a failure to switch to formula if you cannot manage. My supply wasn't increasing despite feeding Abigail every 30 minutes all day and night, and after 7 weeks on formula she is still very much alive and not sick :o No colic, no thrush, no colds, no fevers, no constipation and no sleepless nights!

missjuly wrote: »
    Hi Shivers, I don't think 6oz 6 times a day is too much because really if that's what he wants he must need it :-). Id say if you want to go to 5 feeds try and get him to take more at each feed- tho easier said then done then space out the feeds four hours apart with a hope of him going longer at night. Though every baby is different and he might just need the 6 a day for a little while. You prob do this already but my lo usually wakes at 9 but sometimes she will wake at 7 or 8 but she doesn't cry just moves and kicks but I leave her and she usually goes back to sleep. If she cries I lift her though. Im not an expert just a few ideas im just going with it :-

"Also I'm wondering when you say baby sleeps from 10 or 11pm till 6/7am ... Does baby stay awake all evening until that time and then bed or do you put them down earlier and then get themup for the last feed ?? I put my fella to bed in cot at 8pm then up for feed at 1030pm and he'll sleep till 4/ 5am ish then back to sleep till 730am."

My lo sleeps from about 12.30 till 9 with no feeds or anything in between. It varies whether she is up or not whole evening usually she would be awake good bit of evening the maybe sleep from like 10 just in her bouncer or pram carry cot then I wake her and feed her about 11.30 though im starting to think I maybe should just put her down causes I basically feed her in her sleep and alot of times only takes 2 oz buy im afraid if she didn't get that little bit she would wake in middle of night and whole routine would be gone-im a bit of a control freak :-L. Also would mean she is only having 4 bottles a day :O. X

Yeah you're right, I think he does need the 6 feeds a day. I keep forgetting he's only 7 weeks tomorrow!! I'll give him another while before I change anything.

I'm definatley going to try leaving him in the morning and see if he'll go back asleep ... Fingers crossed !

Id say you could try putting your little one down in her cot earlier, 930 or 10 pm. Try any way and see what happens !

I don't want to jinx it but for the last 3nights she has settled at 9 or 9.30 and slept through till 7 ish :-D not used to this sleeping all night thing ;-)

Hope ye are all well

• Advertisement

How are all the mums and babies??

I'm not much of a follower of the Wonder Weeks but we do seem to be in the Week 8 development leap the last few days. I only discovered this because I googled possible reasons her appetite has plummeted. She is only taking 3-3.5oz rather than 5-5.5oz :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Hey Ocean, we are great thanks. Baby Merkin had a couple of days last week when he was taking smaller amounts ( 4oz at week 8) but he's now back to 6oz five times a day so it will pass fairly quickly, don't worry. How is your little one otherwise? Our little fellow is great, he's such a little trooper. He had his vaccines yesterday and was very good although it was hard seeing him get upset at the jabs, the nurse had to give me a tissue!:o Thankfully he recovered very quickly. When we got home he slept on my chest for three and a half hours and is sleeping and eating well and was back to his very busy, beaming best by this morning. The evening shoutiness has stopped now too, he just wants to play more than anything!:) He moved to his big cot on Sunday as he has outgrown the Moses basket and he settled in very well. I'm deriving great pleasure from this time, his little personality is developing daily and he's a very happy and strong little boy. Can't believe he is two months old today!

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey Ocean, we are great thanks. Baby Merkin had a couple of days last week when he was taking smaller amounts ( 4oz at week 8) but he's now back to 6oz five times a day so it will pass fairly quickly, don't worry. How is your little one otherwise? Our little fellow is great, he's such a little trooper. He had his vaccines yesterday and was very good although it was hard seeing him get upset at the jabs, the nurse had to give me a tissue!:o Thankfully he recovered very quickly. When we got home he slept on my chest for three and a half hours and is sleeping and eating well and was back to his very busy, beaming best by this morning. The evening shoutiness has stopped now too, he just wants to play more than anything!:) He moved to his big cot on Sunday as he has outgrown the Moses basket and he settled in very well. I'm deriving great pleasure from this time, his little personality is developing daily and he's a very happy and strong little boy. Can't believe he is two months old today!

We're getting on great too! She is up to 10 lb 4oz so she is growing like a weed :)
    We had vaccines on Monday which were fine. She screeched with the shock for maybe 30 seconds then was grand again. They didn't cause any ill effects afterwards so we have been very lucky.
    We still don't have much of a routine as we are still away from home but once we get home in another week or two we should be flying! It's not doing her any harm but I feel guilty if I forget to give her Vit D, or forget tummy time for a few days. She has slept through the night twice recently but on those occasions she had a bad day and was absolutely shattered. Normally she sleeps maybe 10.30 to 8 with one feed during the night.

Aww the little dote, she sounds like a pet. I haven't heard of giving babies Vitamin D, is that common practice at home?

Aww the little dote, she sounds like a pet. I haven't heard of giving babies Vitamin D, is that common practice at home?

She certainly is a pet! The smiliest giggliest baby ever when she's in good form! But sure why wouldn't she be when she has 24 hour entertainment from her grandparents as well as me and hubby :)

Yeah 5mcg of Vitamin D every day for the first year is the current recommendation here. http://www.hse.ie/vitamind/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    <..> It's not doing her any harm but I feel guilty if I forget to give her Vit D, or forget tummy time for a few days.<...>
    same here! but I've read somewhere that too much vit. D is worse than too little. so missing a drop some days isn't that bad. it doesn't apply to tummy time though! :rolleyes: it can't be too much of TummyTime! but I am so lazy to do it :rolleyes:

TummyTimeSmall_zpsb6098576.jpg

it takes helluva effort to keep that massive head up! watch his tongue :D

Hello hello, I was just wondering how much everyones little babs are drinking per day! We are in a transition period at the moment. My lo is 11 weeks tomorrow and i had to change all her teats to the number 3 avent ones yesterday because she would grt frustrated with the number 2 ones and scream and cry because the milk wasn't coming out fast enough. Now she is drinking loads in one go....like she had 9 ounces in one go this evening then an hour an a half later she was crying for more :-O I gave her two more ounces I think she would have even drank more! You see she usually has four hour between feeds and because she is sleeping so much that is working out today 10 (8oz), 2(8oz), 6(9 oz),( 7.30 when i gave her 2 oz top up). Her bottle would have been due at 10 but cause of 2 oz top up pushing it back! I don't know very confusing!

Hope everyone and their gorgeous babies are keeping well :-)

missjuly wrote: »
    Hello hello, I was just wondering how much everyones little babs are drinking per day! We are in a transition period at the moment. My lo is 11 weeks tomorrow and i had to change all her teats to the number 3 avent ones yesterday because she would grt frustrated with the number 2 ones and scream and cry because the milk wasn't coming out fast enough. Now she is drinking loads in one go....like she had 9 ounces in one go this evening then an hour an a half later she was crying for more :-O I gave her two more ounces I think she would have even drank more! You see she usually has four hour between feeds and because she is sleeping so much that is working out today 10 (8oz), 2(8oz), 6(9 oz),( 7.30 when i gave her 2 oz top up). Her bottle would have been due at 10 but cause of 2 oz top up pushing it back! I don't know very confusing!

Hope everyone and their gorgeous babies are keeping well :-)

My little one was 9 weeks yesterday. She is on 5oz bottles five times a day. Up to last week she was finishing them but she lost her appetite for a few days so has been taking anywhere from 3-4.5 mostly, though appetite is starting to increase again. Her bottles were every four hours during the day and one during the night but now she is starting to sleep longer at night I'll have to give an extra feed during the day so it sometimes works out at every 3.5 hours during the day. Though another few days and her sleeping and eating patterns could be totally different again!!

Oh we hate tummy time here she screams the house down when I put her on her tummy hopefully it will pass x

otherwise we are doing good, she will be 12 weeks on sunday how scary is that, poor pet had a cold this week the whole house has it :(

We are on 6oz bottles here and doing great, hoping to get her weighed this week dying to know what she is now x

My baby Seán was 8 weeks yesterday and is on 7 oz bottles 5 times a day,.. 7am, 11am, 15.00, 1900 and 2230. Just started this 5 times a day feeding with increase of 1oz per feed 3dsys ago and he has dropped the middle of the night feed:-) happy days. Its great !

He is not a fan of tummy time at all :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Hey girls, Sorry I'm from the June thread, gave birth 24th!

Are any of you still suffering from water retention? My initial bad swelling went down after a few days but there's some I still can't shift from my feet and ankles after 3 months! Doc said to come back if it hadn't gone after 4-6 months, is anyone else still suffering?

No smokey my swelling is gone thank god hope it resolves soon for you x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Hey girls, Sorry I'm from the June thread, gave birth 24th!

Are any of you still suffering from water retention? My initial bad swelling went down after a few days but there's some I still can't shift from my feet and ankles after 3 months! Doc said to come back if it hadn't gone after 4-6 months, is anyone else still suffering?

I still get bad swelling in my fingers, they often hurt if I try to bend them in the morning, not a hope of my wedding rings fitting! I'm 9 weeks pp today.

No idea how much our little lady is eating as we're still bf but she's put on 2kg since birth, little buster :D We've just come through leap 2 and she's so full of chat now, her personality is really coming through and she's going to be a strong minded little divil, wonder where she got that from :cool:

Had our first trip to Crumlin this week which was a bit scary but everything is ok thank goodness. Have to say the staff there are just so lovely, the Dr spent lots of time with us and answered loads of questions. Hopefully we won't have to go there again anytime soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Hi ladies,
    I feel like a cave woman...I don't have time to keep up to date with anything outside the house. Still breastfeeding and that's going well. The nappies are numerous and we're now into 3-6 month babygrows - 10 weeks on Tuesday!
    My swelling took about a month to go. I found the swelling very uncomfortable Smokey, I'd get back onto your GP to see if they can do something. The lasting symptom I'm having is my poor memory...I'm all over the place! There's a mother and babies group starting soon in my local village, I'm hoping that will help my brain get back into gear! Also the wee man is starting to make strange so I need him meeting as many people as he can.

I hope you're all keeping well. I often think of ye out there with your July babies xxx

Hi ladies,
    I feel like a cave woman...I don't have time to keep up to date with anything outside the house. Still breastfeeding and that's going well. The nappies are numerous and we're now into 3-6 month babygrows - 10 weeks on Tuesday!
    My swelling took about a month to go. I found the swelling very uncomfortable Smokey, I'd get back onto your GP to see if they can do something. The lasting symptom I'm having is my poor memory...I'm all over the place! There's a mother and babies group starting soon in my local village, I'm hoping that will help my brain get back into gear! Also the wee man is starting to make strange so I need him meeting as many people as he can.

I hope you're all keeping well. I often think of ye out there with your July babies xxx

Thanks allðŸ˜႒

I know what you mean about the brain thing, I'm honestly baby brained to the highest degree stillðŸ˜႒

Ask your GP for a diuretic Smokey. I got some prescribed for a fortnight after having bubs and they were just amazing for getting rid of that awful puffiness! My finger joints are still a little swollen so my wedding and engagement rings are a tight squeeze and I only ever put them on for a couple of hours but the tablets did wonders for my cankles.

Baby Merkin slept through the night last night! He's been a great little sleeper always tbh but last night was a record 10pm to 7am! :) Really delighted with that.

Ask your GP for a diuretic Smokey. I got some prescribed for a fortnight after having bubs and they were just amazing for getting rid of that awful puffiness! My finger joints are still a little swollen so my wedding and engagement rings are a tight squeeze and I only ever put them on for a couple of hours but the tablets did wonders for my cankles.

Baby Merkin slept through the night last night! He's been a great little sleeper always tbh but last night was a record 10pm to 7am! :) Really delighted with that.

Thanks Merkin, I actually think the heat isn't helping either!! I'll definitely say it to her, I think because I stayed so inactive at the start that was actually worse for it so I've held onto a lot more than I should have!

You poor thing, it's horrible. Definitely get a diuretic and book yourself in for a reflexology session or even a pedicure as the foot and leg massage is just lush and helps relieve some of the puffiness too.

It's fab when they start sleeping through! For parents and baby :) It started here a week ago and for 5 of the last 7 nights she has gone the full night. Last night was 10pm to 7.30am. Her little feeding pattern is a bit all over the place cos the days she hasn't gone the previous night her bottles end up at totally different times than the other days but it doesn't seem to bother her. I just tweak feeding times to always have the nighttime bottle around the same time (9.30ish) then whenever she wakes for her first bottle is entirely out of my hands!!

• Advertisement

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    It's fab when they start sleeping through! For parents and baby :) It started here a week ago and for 5 of the last 7 nights she has gone the full night. Last night was 10pm to 7.30am. Her little feeding pattern is a bit all over the place cos the days she hasn't gone the previous night her bottles end up at totally different times than the other days but it doesn't seem to bother her. I just tweak feeding times to always have the nighttime bottle around the same time (9.30ish) then whenever she wakes for her first bottle is entirely out of my hands!!

I was wondering what would be the best time to do the last feed! Thanks a Ocean. We feed on demand so it can be a moveable feast like yourselves. Last night the little pet slept from 20.30 until 05.00 so it's a case of tweaking it a little as he invariably sleeps 8-9 hours at night. He's just all smiles at the moment! Going for coffee now with a lovely girl I met on the maternity ward, her little girl was born the same day as Baby Merkin and we met last week too so I'm looking forward to the two babies having another staring competition!!! :D

Advertisement