Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    We're going to Dublin for the day on Saturday and wanted to take her with us, and wouldn't have access to any chilly facilities. We were just going to buy ready-made stuff for the day, but they only have 7oz in the Hipp cartons so we'd probably have to buy about 10 of them! :(

Would you bring a flask of boiled water and a little tub of formula with you?

Also, how much is the little one guzzling in a day? Baby Merkin is getting through 35oz and now I'm paranoid I'm starving him lol! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

O yes here's another solution albeit possibly a bit awkward! If you are near a cafe or the like they will always give you boiling water no probs. so like merkin said you could ask them to fill your bottle with boiling water and wait the 30 min till you add your formula which you could bring with you in little tubs. Then just cool under running water for a few min. You'd just need to know what time ur bubs would be due her bottle and have it ready for that time. We did this at an airport a couple times over a year ago before I realised you're allowed to take the ready made cartons on board the flights! Silly me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

We're going to Dublin for the day on Saturday and wanted to take her with us, and wouldn't have access to any chilly facilities. We were just going to buy ready-made stuff for the day, but they only have 7oz in the Hipp cartons so we'd probably have to buy about 10 of them! :(

http://www.safefood.eu/Publications/Consumer-information/How-to-prepare-your-baby-s-bottle.aspx

Were you not given the safe food booklet in the hospital? (you can download it on the above site).
    Read page 11 and 12. Once baby is over 2 months you can do method three which is so handy. Especially if money is tight it saves a fortune too rather than buying pre prepared stuff. In fact in Wexford they recommended using this method for all feeds from birth but I thought that was going a bit far. Now that she is older I also use it for night feeds so I can prepare her bottle super quickly.

ETA obviously this doesn't address the issue of needing large volumes of food. I don't have any suggestions on that I'm afraid

Been a while ladies! How is everyone and their bubs getting on?
    Abi is 11 weeks old on Thursday (jaysus...) and is a whopping stone weight! In 6-9 months clothes now! She's on 8oz and probably could take 9 but I don't want to have to make 2 bottles per feed - that's an awful lot of milk? My nurse (from older stock) has suggested that it might be in her best interests to get some "solids" now. She's asked me to try and stretch to 12 weeks and then try one spoon of porridge with the morning bottle and just see how we get on! :(

I'm also on day 4 of my journey to relactation. Hoping that within 4 weeks I'll be able to (at the least) give Abi one feed a day on the breast again :o

Actually something I'm curious about? When you say 8oz do you mean 8oz water and 8 scoops powder (which is pretty much 9oz total volume)..........or 8oz total volume (more like 7oz water and 7 scoops). I've never been sure how others describe the volume of feed??

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

I know the guidelines but nearly all babies were started on gentle solids at 12 wks when we were babies.. and we're all ok. Also Shasha your baby seems to be very advanced as she's In size 6to9 month clothes. Some babies may be ready earlier than others?? My lo is 18 wks now and we've started some fruit purees. She was born early so still quite small for her age but she's well able to spoon feed and much more content now.. wish I'd started a few more wks ago but I wouldn't listen to my mum when she said the baby was hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Science is a lot more advanced now.

Yes I would have to agree. They do not just make up these guidelines as they go along. There are very important reasons for implementing specific guidelines and polices. These were put in place due to evidence based practice and research which may not have been avaliable "back in the day". Sure back in the day thalidomide was prescribed to pregnant women... And some of their babies were "just fine"... But some weren't so lucky. I know that's an extreme case... But I really dislike the... Well such and such did this and we all turned out ok... If that's the case why do they bother with any changes or advances in medicine at all. But anyways guys... This really isn't my thread so I'm gonna bow out. Lol. (Lucky ye... Lol lol). Sorry if I've given any unwanted advise ect. Shasha I hope things all work out for ye whatever you decide :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

dustie1 wrote: »
    I know the guidelines but nearly all babies were started on gentle solids at 12 wks when we were babies.. and we're all ok.

Except we're not. There's an obesity and type II diabetes epidemic in Western Culture that some camps strongly believe is partly thanks to the enthusiasm for giving babies solids too early.

I'm a scientist and believe in evidence based practice.. but we do not have all the answers.. everything evolves as we learn more. For example, my Lo had colic and there's no proven cure or treatment for that.. I had pre eclampsia and while there's known symptoms it's still an unknown cause. But sometimes a mothers instinct works too... whatever you decide Shasha I hope it works. Each baby is different.. there's few absolutes here.. bit being a mum is tough and we're all doing a good job.

Ok I'm definitely out after this. Lol. I completely agree that science does not hold all the answers. But it does hold a lot of answers. Otherwise, as I have stated... Guidelines and policies would not be put in place as these require evidence. Which has obviously been provided in the guidelines for introducing solids to babies.

A less extreme example of science holding answers and implemented guidelines would that be of the SIDS risk. Evidence based practice has proved that babies are more likely a SIDS risk if put to sleep on their tummies. Now I know for a fact all of us (my brothers and sister and I) were put down to sleep on our tummies. And we're all here and we're "all fine". However, now that this "new" evidence has come to light I sure as heck wouldn't put my baby down to sleep on her tummy. (Unless she refused to sleep any other way and I had no choice in the matter... But that's an exceptional circumstance). And chances are she would be fine... But it's still an increase risk (no matter how small) I myself would not be willing to take for my baby.

• Advertisement

I do agree with you sligo1 the policies are there to help., I suppose I am in that exceptional circumstance where my baby absolutely wouldn't sleep on her back. We went through hell and eventually relented and she sleeps on her tummy now. But it does sound like Shashas baby is exceptionally hungry. All I'm saying is this might be where the policies need exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

On the oz front, it's more like 9oz - 8 of water and 8 of powder. First official test run today in my mums, and she took 11oz. That's insane - she's 10 weeks old! Granted she's 14lbs in weight and stretching into her 6-9months clothes!

I know you're not supposed to feed them solids yet, one nurse told me to start her on solids, and the other told me to just half her bottle and make her go without because babies don't know when they are full and just keep drinking. Well I'm sorry lady, but when my child screams so much she goes blue in the face until I put the bottle back in, it's hardly because she just felt like it! She said that much formula was doing serious damage to her digestive system, as would the early weaning, so either way I'm a bad mother and hurting my child? :(

On the oz front, it's more like 9oz - 8 of water and 8 of powder. First official test run today in my mums, and she took 11oz. That's insane - she's 10 weeks old! Granted she's 14lbs in weight and stretching into her 6-9months clothes!

I know you're not supposed to feed them solids yet, one nurse told me to start her on solids, and the other told me to just half her bottle and make her go without because babies don't know when they are full and just keep drinking. Well I'm sorry lady, but when my child screams so much she goes blue in the face until I put the bottle back in, it's hardly because she just felt like it! She said that much formula was doing serious damage to her digestive system, as would the early weaning, so either way I'm a bad mother and hurting my child? :(

If it helps Shasha when my fella was only a month old he was a savage. He was bf and I had to give him formula at night or I would've been up all night. He was I the 99th percentile for weight and height. At only 4 weeks he was taking about 250-300 formula in one feed! I was so worried I was going to over feed him. When I tried to stop he would scream and scream and scream. So I went to my GP and asked about over feeding him and the amount of formula he was taking. GP told me to just give him what he wanted. She said if he took too much he would just sick it up. Otherwise he would just take what he needed.

Your not a bad mother!! Far from it as your so stressed out trying to do the very best for your baby. I mean your trying to start bf again... you must be a saint!! I couldn't contemplate going back there! Follow your gut feeling.. its not easy to go against the official guidelines but sometimes your at your wits end and need to try something else... whatever you decide you sound like a fab mum and have a very lucky baby.

I think the lesser of two evils here is to give as much formula as she needs. 11oz of hungry baby milk is a lot but I don't see how it can do any harm to baby's system. Whereas starting solids so early definitely does have the potential to cause problems. Does she drink very fast?? Even if she was drinking so fast that she wasn't registering straight away that she had enough, surely she would just spit up the excess? I just can't see how formula can be harmful even in bigger quantities. .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Merkin wrote: »
    <...>Also, how much is the little one guzzling in a day? Baby Merkin is getting through 35oz and now I'm paranoid I'm starving him lol! :)
    omg, my baby must be wasting away because I rarely get 30oz into him, he takes around 25-27oz most of the days :rolleyes:
    <...>
    I know you're not supposed to feed them solids yet, one nurse told me to start her on solids, and the other told me to just half her bottle and make her go without becausebabies don't know when they are full and just keep drinking.

I'm not planning to offer solid to DS until he's able to sit by himself :confused:
    I'm not sure about babies not knowing that they're full either. I give more than Ruben takes most of the time, he just spits the bottle out and you can do whatever you want, he wouldn't drink a drop more which a bit frustrating sometimes: I offer 5oz, and he only takes 3. It's not like I'm gonna throw remaining 2oz of breast milk out, it goes back into the fridge and gets reheated later... Ruben is 10wks this friday, last friday he was 5.8kg (12lb13oz) and 62cm.

j@utis wrote: »
    omg, my baby must be wasting away because I rarely get 30oz into him, he takes around 25-27oz most of the days :rolleyes:

I'm not planning to offer solid to DS until he's able to sit by himself :confused:
    I'm not sure about babies not knowing that they're full either. I give more than Ruben takes most of the time, he just spits the bottle out and you can do whatever you want, he wouldn't drink a drop more which a bit frustrating sometimes: I offer 5oz, and he only takes 3. It's not like I'm gonna throw remaining 2oz of breast milk out, it goes back into the fridge and gets reheated later... Ruben is 10wks this friday, last friday he was 5.8kg (12lb13oz) and 62cm.

Ah seriously ... I'm not in any way over-zealous about H&S stuff, but even I wouldn't go reheating old milk. Breastmilk or formula.

Ah seriously ... I'm not in any way over-zealous about H&S stuff, but even I wouldn't go reheating old milk. Breastmilk or formula.

Breastmilk is different to formula. It can be reheated twice. Keeps for 6-8 days in the fridge and can be left out at room temperature for 4-6 hours. I definitely wouldn't go wasting it especially as it can be such a job to pump.

ditto Sligo1.
    I'd dump remaining formula without having a second thought. BM comes at the price of hours and hours spent pumping. but if there's less than an oz left of the bm, I throw it out anyways so that I can clean the bottle.
    btw, I pumped 11oz the other night but I can't imagine my son eating all that in one sitting. it's more like 3 meals for him, oh bugger :(

You pumped 11oz :eek: That's some serious boobwork :D I'm lucky to pump 5oz (usually in the morning, just one pump a day to build up a stash), but she'll only take 3-4oz in a bottle, often less. It's gas how they're all so different.

• Advertisement

11oz is amazing! You should build up a stash in the freezer. I bought a box of the medela freezer bags a few weeks ago but have stopped pumping now as reducing feeds so I've 15 left from a box of 20. If any of ye are in Dublin and want them just let me know and you can have them for nothing. They are €13 a box of 20 so ud be saving a few quid.

good meal + good sleep = tons of milk ;) I get the most of milk out at night. During the day there's f all, almost no point for pumping because I'm tired from running around looking after the baby and the house etc.
    I'm building up a stash slowly but I've read somewhere that it's best not to keep the frozen milk for longer than two months. it doesn't go off , it's just baby's needs are changing as he gets older and "old" milk might not have what's required from it. I have one shelf in the fridge freezer dedicated to mommy's milk ;) I'm not planning to increase it, just to replace the "old" milk with the fresh one on regular basis.

That's right, once your supply has been established the volume doesn't change, the composition of it does. Initially your milk will have a higher whey (quick digesting) to casein (slow digesting) ratio but as the baby gets older there'll be more casein in it.

Formula made from cows milk has a much higher casein content - human milk is 60-70% whey: 30-40% casein, but cows milk is 20% whey: 80% casein so it's digested slower so babies stay satiated longer but it's why there's a higher risk of SIDS with formula, as those long sleeps aren't normal for very young babies.

In fairness though, SIDS has been pretty much obliterated with the back-to-sleep campaign. It's extremely rare these days, and it's been scientifically proven that the major risk factors were putting small babies to sleep on their tummies, and having babies sleep in a room with a smoker.

I'd consider breastfeeding rather than formula-feeding to be a correlative rather than a causative factor.

Baby Merkin is eleven weeks old today and I just don't know where all this precious time is flying! Brought him for his weigh in this morning and the chunky monkey is thirteen pounds, we are so delighted. We feed him with specially adapted squeezy bottles and some babies with a cleft have to be tube fed so the three of us have done really well to make such progress :) The medical team said if they could use us as an example of how well a cleft baby can do re feeding they'd use baby Merkin as an example of a thriving, alert and happy little sausage, that's my boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

God merkin he is doing great well doon little man x

Thanks a million Betsie, he is indeed and we are very proud :) How is your little one doing?xx

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Just catching up on all the posts!

Sha sha id say just feed her whatever she wants I know it must be so demanding constantly washing and making bottles. I have always prepared the bottles by pouring the desired amount of boiling water into sterlised bottles say 5 or 6 at a time. Then I just add the powder to cooled boiled water and when we are going out and about I take the powder in little tubs. My lo eats every four hours so usually I try go out just after a feed and bring one bottle with or bring two or three if going out for whole day. My avent bottles take 9 oz of water which turns into about 10 when you add the powder. Also my friends baby was 9lb when born would sometimes take up to 10oz in one go at 2 weeks but she is perfectly fine and healthy. I think its ridiculous theybarw saying you are going to destroy her digestive system your giving her baby milk honestly. Also someone mentioned above sometimes take a spare bottle so you top up each bottle by adding and extra 2 oz its should be fine cause its fresh water and powder. If I were you for going to dub id bring the big tub of powder and as many cooled boiled water bottles as possible.

Also kudos for the relactation you have made me seriously consider doing it-still have a little bit of milk....and have an electric breast pump. ..but my routine is working so id be afraid.

Merkin that is great to hear delighted for you and your lo. My bubs was 13 weeks on friday and getting so big she is 3-6 month clothes but they aren't really big on her..like the 0-3 months clothes were huge for ages don't think we are going to get long out of 3-6 aww they grow so fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Jerrica wrote: »
    Except we're not. There's an obesity and type II diabetes epidemic in Western Culture that some camps strongly believe is partly thanks to the enthusiasm for giving babies solids too early.

My mother in law gave each of her babies Liga softened with milk on a spoon when they were 6 weeks old!
    Said was great as she got to sleep through the night. It's astonishing really.

• Advertisement

how is every body doing? Ruben had first set of vaccines last thursday. he was very upset that day, but had only a mild fever so we got away without calpol. yesterday he was grand and today he's very cranky again, arrrghhh!
    tummy times are fun though ;)
    2014-10-18TummyTime_zpsc83ed20d.jpg

Advertisement