Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

shivers27 wrote: »
    Hi, I have been following this thread for a while now. I had my baby boy July 31st weighing 8lb 12oz :-) He too is a big and very hungry boy. He's taking 5.5 - 6 oz 6 times a day

That's brilliant to know, thank you! Our little man weighed 8lb4oz and was born on the 24th so it's good to get an idea of what other bubbas are doing. Seems like I'm not over feeding him at all so that's good. I'm just feeding him on demand and the last few days in particular he's got a voracious appetite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Merkin wrote: »
    Hey ladies! Hope you're all well. Baby Merkin cannot be filled over the last couple of days! :D We are feeding him about 23-25oz a day and I'm curious to know what your little ones are taking in? Average feed is about 5oz and while this is within normal range I'm concerned about over feeding him too. I can't believe the rate he's growing which I suppose goes some way to explaining the hunger!:)

Sounds like about what our little almost-eight-month-old has been taking since a very early age, in fact he was up at 32oz a day or more until we really got into the weaning business! And even so he's only ever been in the 25th percentile for weight. I'd go with feeding on demand, I wouldn't worry about overfeeding at all at such an early age. :) He'll be getting regular weigh-ins with the PHN, if he's gaining weight to quickly they'll pick up on it - but from what I hear, that rarely happens before they start solids.

Thanks a mill Chat! I think it's because he's got such a little body it's hard not to think WHERE is all this milk going! :) He's doing great with weight gain too so I think I will stick to feeding on demand eventhough part of me thinks HOW could he possibly be hungry again! He's feeding every three hours over the last day or two! I suppose this growing business requires a lot of energy though, awwww :)

Thanks a mill Chat! I think it's because he's got such a little body it's hard not to think WHERE is all this milk going! :) He's doing great with weight gain too so I think I will stick to feeding on demand eventhough part of me thinks HOW could he possibly be hungry again! He's feeding every three hours over the last day or two! I suppose this growing business requires a lot of energy though, awwww :)

LOL I know, it's hard to believe they can put away so much when they're so small - but before you know it, you'll be waking up each morning and wondering where has your baby gone, and who is this toddler sitting up on his own chatting away in your bed in the mornings! :D The baby phase passes so quickly, I know I'm only new to this too, but - wow! The last few mornings, he's grown so rapidly, it's insane! Enjoy the cuddles while he's still too small to squirm and wriggle away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ruby is taking about the same merkin, she was put on baby gaviscon yesterday for her reflux Dr thinks he's weight will increase after this now..her weight gain has been slow but steady since birth

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Not a sling, but we're using a two-way carrier from Mothercare. Granted she isn't in it all that often but it's very comfortable and she loves it! The slings and wraps just make me nervous!

I'd really recommend you to pop along to a sling meet, if there are any in your area. :) As it turned out in the end, babywearing just wasn't for us ... but there is such a massive difference between the high-street carriers, and proper slings/carriers that you can properly adjust with your baby as they grow. A good carrier is a brilliant investment, if it works for you. Our baby just wasn't a fan, but I'd definitely try again in future!

An excellent starting point would be the Facebook Babywearing Ireland page, if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the link. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hey ladies! Hope you're all well. Baby Merkin cannot be filled over the last couple of days! :D We are feeding him about 23-25oz a day and I'm curious to know what your little ones are taking in? Average feed is about 5oz and while this is within normal range I'm concerned about over feeding him too. I can't believe the rate he's growing which I suppose goes some way to explaining the hunger!:)

Hiya merkin, my wee lad was exactly like this when he was younger! I asked GP about it as he was such a little savage and I was so worried about over feeding him. Sometimes he would want 10-11oz in one go!!! Anyways, GP told me not to worry and just to give him what he wanted. She said if he takes too much he will just sick it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

My little man is on set time feeds... 5.5 - 6 oz at 0900, 1230, 1600, 1930, 2300 and 5ish.

He had been on 5oz up until yesterday but he was looking for more feeds In between his usual times so I increased the amount. It's going well so far and he is satisfied ... Happy smiley beautiful boy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

Hey I haven't really posted either but had my baby july and seen this thread hope you don't mind a very late comer . My little one is 6 weeks old and takes 5-6 ozs also weirdly her bottle times are the exact same as yours shivers.

Also betsie my little one was put on gaviscon I hope it helps your little tot! Also just wondering do other people's baby's get cranky in the evening for no apparent reason- no matter what I do from about 6 onwards poor little thing! :-)

I think most babies have a cranky time of the day my eldest was like your the evening and my newest edition is late morning she is an anti Christ for about 2-3hrs but grand again after that

• Advertisement

Thanks so much girls! Always reassuring to get feedback from other Mummies.
    LOL I know, it's hard to believe they can put away so much when they're so small - but before you know it, you'll be waking up each morning and wondering where has your baby gone, and who is this toddler sitting up on his own chatting away in your bed in the mornings! :D The baby phase passes so quickly, I know I'm only new to this too, but - wow! The last few mornings, he's grown so rapidly, it's insane! Enjoy the cuddles while he's still too small to squirm and wriggle away!

The time is already going so quickly Chat. It's unbelievable how much he's grown in the last five weeks. I really treasure every cuddle. Both hubby and I agree that there's something very meditative and soothing about snuggling up close to him!
    Ruby is taking about the same merkin, she was put on baby gaviscon yesterday for her reflux Dr thinks he's weight will increase after this now..her weight gain has been slow but steady since birth

That's brilliant Betsie, all weight gain is good. The poor little sausage having reflux. What are the symptoms of that?
    Sligo1 wrote: »
    Hiya merkin, my wee lad was exactly like this when he was younger! I asked GP about it as he was such a little savage and I was so worried about over feeding him. Sometimes he would want 10-11oz in one go!!! Anyways, GP told me not to worry and just to give him what he wanted. She said if he takes too much he will just sick it up...

Lol at him being a 'little savage'. Baby Merkin would give him a run for his money! I worked it out that he had 31oz yesterday!!!:eek::D With one of those feeds being 8oz! He's only little! I'm seriously thinking of buying a cow!
    My little man is on set time feeds... 5.5 - 6 oz at 0900, 1230, 1600, 1930, 2300 and 5ish.

He had been on 5oz up until yesterday but he was looking for more feeds In between his usual times so I increased the amount. It's going well so far and he is satisfied ... Happy smiley beautiful boy :-)

Awww. They are very good at telling you when they want more aren't they? It's great too having a longer gap at night isn't it?
    missjuly wrote: »
    Hey I haven't really posted either but had my baby july and seen this thread hope you don't mind a very late comer . My little one is 6 weeks old and takes 5-6 ozs also weirdly her bottle times are the exact same as yours shivers.

Also betsie my little one was put on gaviscon I hope it helps your little tot! Also just wondering do other people's baby's get cranky in the evening for no apparent reason- no matter what I do from about 6 onwards poor little thing! :-)

Welcome and congratulations!:)Another little one who likes her grub then! Great to have a good little feeder!

Our little fellow had colic at the start so was very upset but we got that sorted very quickly thank goodness. He still can be a little restless/mooch for an hour or so around 9-10pm but he's not actually upset, I think probably overtired or fighting sleep. I wouldn't worry, from what I gather a lot of bubbas at the start having that little restless time and it goes with age.

Sounds like all our little ones are doing great. I think we all deserve a pat on the back! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Hi everyone :) Our little lady is absolutely thriving, she's just about to come to the end of Leap 1 (anyone else follow The Wonder Weeks?) and the difference in her alertness and responsiveness is amazing. Lots of smiles and cooing! Not too much crying, a little bit of crankiness and lots of clinging so she's constantly in her wrap and I wear her everywhere. Woolly Woman I find it a godsend, either myself or my husband can wear her and she goes out like a light in minutes. I have to go for surgery tomorrow and I'll be under a general anaesthetic so it means my husband will have to mind her on his own for the day, he's really looking forward to being able to wear her and power around.

Merkin I don't know how much my little lady feeds as I'm breastfeeding but from seeing lots of other mums talking about it on my July mums group 5oz seems totally normal - some mums with late June /early July babies are up to 7oz already!!

I'm still getting spot bleeding too, back in with the GP on Monday for our six week check, I've been feeling fairly amorous in the last couple of weeks but neither of us have wanted to dtd until my stitches he's get checked out and we get the a-ok that it's ok to proceed. Very excited to get that side of things back on track :D Very confused about what contraception to go for though, I'd been on the patch for years and lived it, but it's not recommended for over 35s and I'm in the later half of 34...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'd really recommend you to pop along to a sling meet, if there are any in your area. :) As it turned out in the end, babywearing just wasn't for us ... but there is such a massive difference between the high-street carriers, and proper slings/carriers that you can properly adjust with your baby as they grow. A good carrier is a brilliant investment, if it works for you. Our baby just wasn't a fan, but I'd definitely try again in future!

An excellent starting point would be the Facebook Babywearing Ireland page, if you can't find it, PM me and I'll send you the link. :)

Second all of this! The folks on Babywearing Ireland are so so lovely, there's lots of meet ups and it's a lovely way to meet other mums and the occasional babywearing Dad :D

I've just downloaded Wonder Weeks, it looks great Jerrica. Seems spot on too, especially the voracious eating at this stage to facilitate extra alertness etc! Baby Merkin is a right little nosy parker these days!

Being amorous again is the best thing ever :) I'm over 35 and have been prescribed the mini pill. I'm only on it a week but it just seemed like the best option for us. I had a section so we've to wait a year to try for another baby but the POP doesn't effect ovulation and the GP had a long chat with me and it just seems like the best thing. I'm on Cerelle, I think it's called something different at home, maybe Cezanette or something similar?

I've just downloaded Wonder Weeks, it looks great Jerrica. Seems spot on too, especially the voracious eating at this stage to facilitate extra alertness etc! Baby Merkin is a right little nosy parker these days!

Being amorous again is the best thing ever :) I'm over 35 and have been prescribed the mini pill. I'm only on it a week but it just seemed like the best option for us. I had a section so we've to waist a year to try for another baby but the POP doesn't effect ovulation and the GP had a long chat with me and it just seems like the best thing. I'm on Cerelle, I think it's called something different at home, maybe Cezanette or something similar?

I also had a section and didn't know that we couldn't try for another baby for a year !! Thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

All I can say is whoops, whoops again and whoops one more time after that.

Better buy a test soon :o

I also had a section and didn't know that we couldn't try for another baby for a year !! Thanks .

Did they not tell you that Shivers? Yes, twelve months is advised time to allow for healing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

lies, lies, all lies! why parents are so delusional? baby phase is a awful, never ending nightmare! I haven't enjoyed a single minute of it so far, I can't wait for him to get bigger, at least past those mysterious 4 (or 6!) months when all his sleeping/eating/crying problems suppose to go away :mad:
    Our baby Ruby is eating about 4oz every 2hrs, he's 4wks old this Friday. I haven't managed to get him back to eat from the breast, I have to express and bottle feed him. My days are like this: feeding/changing/settling him takes up to 1hr, then I express for 30mins, and then I have another 30mins of "my time" when I eat/shower/rest (forget about sleeping) and 2 hrs are up when I have to feed him again... during the night dad feeds/changes him while I'm expressing the breast milk. I can't really go longer than 3hrs between pumping because my breasts get really full and sore :( I'm absolutely exhausted and feel miserable most of the time. Oh, I forgot to mention his inconsolable crying, you just get used to it I say and don't notice it anymore... or it's just the earplugs are doing their job well :(

Have you spoken to your health visitor about how you're feeling?

Did they not tell you that Shivers? Yes, twelve months is advised time to allow for healing

No, nobody told me that ! Pretty bad isn't it?! Thanks for the heads up:-)

• Advertisement

Merkin how did you sort out the colic I think my little tot has it she is showing some of classic symptoms of it but its hard to know as betsie was saying most babies have their cranky time!

Jautis I take my hat off to you with pumping and feeding exclusively! I breast fed for first 3 weeks then was pumping exclusively oh my god was a nightmare imo its very demanding and draining. I then added in a little formula here and there its has progressed to mostly formula with one or two breast milk bottles a day I feel so much happier and liberated almost, once I stopped being so hard on myself in the end I figured happy mum happier baby! Also being a parent to a new born is so hard and I feel like no one really talks about the tough times openly. I love my little one but we all have our moments were it feels like you will never sleep again or function like a normal person. Maybe you could talk to someone about how your feel a friend, relative your doc. Its so normal I mean it is tough jusy don't let it get on top of you- least that's what im doing at the tough times. We all need little breaks too, im having my first night away from my tot this weekend im looking forward to getting awau but also nervous and anxious ha.

Hope everyone else is good so nice to hear from other mums-oh booked two month vaccine today not looking forward to that!!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    All I can say is whoops, whoops again and whoops one more time after that.

Better buy a test soon :o

Sha sha your a gas woman x do you think you might e?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Sha sha your a gas woman x do you think you might e?

Well we were far from careful. In a more polite form, once I realised the car was working I wanted to drive it everywhere :P 5 weeks post partum and I've only been back on the pill a week!

Haha your gas out although I was the same after my 1st I wanted my next baby as soon as I coulo then we set a date for our wedding which was 8months after 1st was born so had to be careful till then but once the wedding was over we couldn't wait to get pregnant x

We were advised to get Colief missjuly and it sorted the problem in 24 hours and we haven't had an episode since, it worked really well. Poor bubs has an upset tummy today but it's not colic, just passing lots of wind and poops. Gave him gripe water and it seems to have settled it thankfully.

Do you find the colief better then the infacol merkin?

Wow that's actually amazing within 24 hours! I might give it a try! I have tried infacol and not really sure of it works!? Do you find it good good Betsie. My little one has been full of smiles last few mornings so adorable makes me so happy aw her little face!

I dont think its thzt good at all, worked great for my eldest but I dont really notice a difference with this one might give the colife a go and see

missjuly wrote: »
    Wow that's actually amazing within 24 hours! I might give it a try! I have tried infacol and not really sure of it works!? Do you find it good good Betsie. My little one has been full of smiles last few mornings so adorable makes me so happy aw her little face!

Awww the smiling is the best! :)

We didn't find Infacol any good really, it didn't seem to make a difference. The Colief is really great though, we couldn't believe how quickly it took effect too. It's pretty pricey but worth it to ease any little discomfort bubba was having.

• Advertisement

Good to know merkin god I might try it see does it make a difference here x

Advertisement