Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Has any of the July babies outgrown the Moses basket yet??
    We are ten weeks here and I reckon another 10 days or so is all we have left in it. I'm just looking for suggestions for how downstairs sleeping will work. At the moment my little one still sleeps a lot and can fall asleep at any time - in her basket, in her swing chair, in our arms, in the car seat or buggy. If the basket is removed from the equation none of the other options are fully flat (we do have a bassinet for the pram but she will be growing out of that too).
    Do I need to buy a travel cot for downstairs or what do you guys do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Ah merkin thats lovely I have a friend I met when I was in hospital before I had my eldest I wa in with a kidney infection and she was in with high bp I had my eldest 4weeks later and 3weeks after that she had her little boy now we are best friends and the kids are 2now and would live together if they could x we are headinp away this Saturday for the night just the 2of us no kids it will be the 1st time we were together with no kids since before they were born xx

As for ruby we are sleeping through the night here too and it's great ye get our last feed at about 10every night she falls asleep drinkinp it and sleeps till about 7 it's brilliant :-D loving all the smiles and chat at the moment my eldest is having so much fun with her it's so nice to watch xx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Has any of the July babies outgrown the Moses basket yet??
    <...>
    We ditched the mosses basket about 3 weeks ago. None of us liked it, including the baby. I absolutely hated it, it felt like putting the baby into a little coffin. Awful thing it was. We usually bring Ruben upstairs to sleep in his cot bed. He's slept on the floor in the living room couple of times, well not on the floor - on the rug and baby blanket on top, he also sleeps on the sofa and nods off in the baby bouncer but I really try to have him sleeping nice and flat in his bed.

I have a question too: do you all keep the baby in the same bedroom where you sleep? Ruben has been sleeping in separate room for about a month now. I know it's not recommended because of SIDS and I'm slightly worried... Some times during the night I sneak out from our bed and go sleep on the sofa in the baby's room that I can hear him breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Seán is 9 weeks old and he has been out of the mosses basket since he was 6weeks old. He out grew it as he is a fairly big baby. He kept hitting his hands off the sides of it !he sleeps in his cot Most of the time but occasionally he sleeps on the sofa or in his pram and an odd time in his swing chair for 20 mins or so. He LOVES sleeping in his cot coz he can stretch his arms out fully:-)

He sleeps in his cot in our room. I would be terrified to have him sleep overnight in a room on his own. We'll keep him in with us for the 6 months.

If it works for you to have him in another room that's fine. I'm sure he will be absolutely fine. Once you have the monitor on and keep an eye on the temperature of his room. Also consider using the sleeping bags instead of blankets, If you aren't already.

j@utis wrote: »
    We ditched the mosses basket about 3 weeks ago. None of us liked it, including the baby. I absolutely hated it, it felt like putting the baby into a little coffin. Awful thing it was. We usually bring Ruben upstairs to sleep in his cot bed. He's slept on the floor in the living room couple of times, well not on the floor - on the rug and baby blanket on top, he also sleeps on the sofa and nods off in the baby bouncer but I really try to have him sleeping nice and flat in his bed.

I have a question too: do you all keep the baby in the same bedroom where you sleep? Ruben has been sleeping in separate room for about a month now. I know it's not recommended because of SIDS and I'm slightly worried... Some times during the night I sneak out from our bed and go sleep on the sofa in the baby's room that I can hear him breathing.

At the moment we do yeah, and plan to move the cot in once we transition to that. Not sure how long we will keep it for, I'll just see how we go. We are happy for now.
    I think if having baby in another room means you or baby sleep better then it can be a good thing.

• Advertisement

yes, I sleep better in another room because I can't hear/feel his smallest noises and squirms he does in his sleep. He doesn't wake up but that noise is enough to wake me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

My little girly is 12 weeks today and got her injections. ..she seems fine gave her calpol before them! She had a cold at two months so nurse said it was better to wait. As for sleep she
    sleeping on average 11 and a half hours at night im still in hock its actually crazy im happy out. She slept 12 hours s last night !! At the start I wouldn't let her sleep that long and
    Kept Waking her in the mornings after about 9 hours but everyone said I was crazy so I let he sleep. She is awake then most of the day very alert giggling laughing away she has 20 minute naps here and there. She is also taking 4 9 oz bottles a day..well I offer her she usually drinks about 2 of them fully she averages around 30oz a day.

Yeah all the little noises wake me up at night and I think id sleep much better if she slept in her own room but id say she will be in our room for a little while longer but maybe not till shes 6 months we will see.

Merkin and betsie that is so lovely your meeting up with people you met having you babies! A girl who was in bed beside me in hospital was really nice its a little bond you share in a way!

Oh god this is an essay sorry :-/

I'm wondering here about nappies of long sleeping babies, don't they go over the capacity? if I don't change ds in 5-6hrs, esp in the morning the nappy is guaranteed too leak because he pees buckets and number two gets up his back, yikes!

missjuly wrote: »
    My little girly is 12 weeks today and got her injections. ..she seems fine gave her calpol before them! She had a cold at two months so nurse said it was better to wait. As for sleep she
    sleeping on average 11 and a half hours at night im still in hock its actually crazy im happy out. She slept 12 hours s last night !! At the start I wouldn't let her sleep that long and
    Kept Waking her in the mornings after about 9 hours but everyone said I was crazy so I let he sleep. She is awake then most of the day very alert giggling laughing away she has 20 minute naps here and there. She is also taking 4 9 oz bottles a day..well I offer her she usually drinks about 2 of them fully she averages around 30oz a day.

Yeah all the little noises wake me up at night and I think id sleep much better if she slept in her own room but id say she will be in our room for a little while longer but maybe not till shes 6 months we will see.

Merkin and betsie that is so lovely your meeting up with people you met having you babies! A girl who was in bed beside me in hospital was really nice its a little bond you share in a way!

Oh god this is an essay sorry :-/

Ooh interesting! A baby on 4 big bottles rather than 5 smaller ones. My baby is starting to sleep long nights now and I'm struggling to get 5 feeds into the waking hours. Might have to try this and see how it goes.

Jautis - I'm using pampers baby dry at night. It could be on from 9.15pm to nearly 8 am and no leaks so far! And my little one produces mountains of urine too 😊

We are using the pampers baby dry here and no leaks and she is sleeping 12hrs at night :-D

• Advertisement

We are using the pampers baby dry here and no leaks and she is sleeping 12hrs at night :-D

I have a question for you! Is your baby on five feeds a day? If so, how do you schedule them to fit them into twelve waking hours?? My little one only sleeps 8.5-9 hours at night and I'm struggling to get her feeds in.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I have a question for you! Is your baby on five feeds a day? If so, how do you schedule them to fit them into twelve waking hours?? My little one only sleeps 8.5-9 hours at night and I'm struggling to get her feeds in.....

We are the same! I tried four bigger feeds and that worked so you could try that? Baby Merkin is off colour at the moment so back to five feeds so I leave shorter gaps during the day and then a big feed for his last feed so he can have his big sleep. The poor munchkin is off form, had him with GP yesterday as he had temperature and turns out baby Merkin has his first little cold awwwww!:( Calpol and cuddles are helping. I can't help feeling that he's cutting a little tooth already tbh, he's eating the hands off himself.

Re nappies, I use Pampers newborn as they are lovely and soft and even if he has a heavy nappy after a long sleep he's always bone dry and bum is nice and soft. I always put Caldesene on him after every change too as a preventative measure, it's brilliant.

6oz bottle at 8am
    6oz bottle at 11am
    6oz bottle at 2pm
    6oz bottle at 5pm
    7oz bottle at about 8pm sometimes it's later but that's our day she struggles to hit 4hrs between feeds this is the routine we seem to have settled into and it's working for us x

1st tooth on the way here too merkin 1big rosey cheek and is eating her hand all the time x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Health visitor just popped in because she bumped into me in the surgery yesterday. She popped in to tell me she's leaving next week, gutted! She said to get Sophie the Giraffe right away if I suspect teething Betsie, she said it really helps from early on so maybe you could try that xx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Been a while ladies! How is everyone and their bubs getting on?
    Abi is 11 weeks old on Thursday (jaysus...) and is a whopping stone weight! In 6-9 months clothes now! She's on 8oz and probably could take 9 but I don't want to have to make 2 bottles per feed - that's an awful lot of milk? My nurse (from older stock) has suggested that it might be in her best interests to get some "solids" now. She's asked me to try and stretch to 12 weeks and then try one spoon of porridge with the morning bottle and just see how we get on! :(

I'm also on day 4 of my journey to relactation. Hoping that within 4 weeks I'll be able to (at the least) give Abi one feed a day on the breast again :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Abi is 11 weeks old on Thursday (jaysus...) and is a whopping stone weight! In 6-9 months clothes now! She's on 8oz and probably could take 9 but I don't want to have to make 2 bottles per feed - that's an awful lot of milk? My nurse (from older stock) has suggested that it might be in her best interests to get some "solids" now. She's asked me to try and stretch to 12 weeks and then try one spoon of porridge with the morning bottle and just see how we get on! :(

I'm also on day 4 of my journey to relactation. Hoping that within 4 weeks I'll be able to (at the least) give Abi one feed a day on the breast again :o

Shasha... I don't follow this thread really but this popped up in my email alert so said id have a quick read. I really really wouldn't advise giving solids at such a very young age. The very youngest a baby should be taking solids is 17 weeks. 11 weeks is far far far too young. Please don't pay any notice to what that nurse said. In fact... I'd actually be worried about how many other parents she has advised. Just keep giving your baby milk, no solids until AT LEAST 17 weeks. You could increase the amount or perhaps try the hungry formula (if absolutely necessary)... But def no solids so young. It actually makes me annoyed that a health care professional gave you this advice. Sorry if I'm intruding and giving unwanted opinions...

That nurse doesn't have a clue clearly! Are you using regular first milk or hungry baby milk?

How does relactation work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

Agree with the others, there is no way you should risk giving a 12 week old solids! 17 weeks is the very youngest, but it's by far best to wait until 24 weeks. Their little digestive systems are just too immature to cope with food at that age, and can end up permanently damaged as a result. I'd nearly be tempted to report that nurse, she can't go giving advice that is against HSE and WHO guidelines!

She's already on Hungry Baby milk. I told the nurse I was preparing to make 12 bottles a day for her just to keep her sated and she said that that much milk would be just as bad for her (but I can hardly starve her by reducing it!). I'm at a loss. If I have to start making 12 bottles a day for her I'm going to have to stop leaving the house!

I'm just pumping constantly and taking fenugreek and eating lots of porridge to try and bring my milk supply back in.

She's already on Hungry Baby milk. I told the nurse I was preparing to make 12 bottles a day for her just to keep her sated and she said that that much milk would be just as bad for her (but I can hardly starve her by reducing it!). I'm at a loss. If I have to start making 12 bottles a day for her I'm going to have to stop leaving the house!

I'm just pumping constantly and taking fenugreek and eating lots of porridge to try and bring my milk supply back in.

Shasha how much is she taking? You can buy 16oz bottles... Or just perhaps feed her more often? What's her routine? My little lad was a savage at that age aswell...

• Advertisement

How about if you make up five 8oz bottles during the day and one 9oz at bedtime - and just buy the one extra bottle that will take 9oz, I know my Tommee Tippee ones go up to 9oz, I think most do?

Are you making up the bottles separately for each feed? You really do not have to do this - once they are prepared and stored according to manufacturer instructions, they are good for up to 24 hours in advance - and I did ring SMA specifically to check this with them! Basically the instructions are aimed at the "lowest common denominator" as such; they were having problems with babies getting sick because of bottles being left on a kitchen counter all day. So that's why the instructions say to prepare the bottles at each feed.

Can you try cooled boiled water the odd time, maybe she just enjoys getting the bottle but isn't actually hungry? (However I can't remember if water is recommended at that age, so you'd have to double check that!! I know we didn't start giving it til he was a bit older.)

Also, if possible, have a couple of the readymade cartons/bottles in stock for if she's ever still hungry after a feed, or just to give yourself a break! ;)

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Shasha how much is she taking? You can buy 16oz bottles... Or just perhaps feed her more often? What's her routine? My little lad was a savage at that age aswell...

She takes a bottle every three hours. Haven't seen 16oz bottles anywhere and we can't really afford to buy any right now anyway with how much we're out on formula in a week! She won't take any extra because I even tried her with cooled boiled water between feeds and she won't take anything until the three hours is up. She sleeps 8-8 and it was suggested that I just wake her in the middle of the night and make her take a bottle, but bejaysus I'm not doing that either!

Indigo I make them all up in advance, that's the problem because if I'm going out I'll need an extra bottle for every feed she's out for. So three feeds need 6 bottles etc and it's a bit awkward trying to fit everything in around them! Hospital said water was fine, but only a small amount, but again she won't take anything unless she's hungry, and she is rigid in her 3-hourly routine.

Yes another option to be would be make up your bottles as normal. And have one spare full one. That way when she finishes her bottle and wants more you could pour an oz or 2 from the spare into the empty bottle she has just drunk from and give her that.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Yes another option to be would be make up your bottles as normal. And have one spare full one. That way when she finishes her bottle and wants more you could pour an oz or 2 from the spare into the empty bottle she has just drunk from and give her that.

The only problem with that is the 2-hour rule, no? If I'm out for more than two hours then the extra bottle is no good (mind you, none of them are)?
    I'm at a loss, really!

The only problem with that is the 2-hour rule, no? If I'm out for more than two hours then the extra bottle is no good (mind you, none of them are)?
    I'm at a loss, really!

Exactly Shasha... If you're out more than 2 hours you would need to take ready made cartons anyway as none of the pre-pared would be any good. That's where the boob comes in handy! :)

I'm at a loss, really!

As long as the baby doesn't drink from the extra bottle - i.e. if it's just opened to pour a couple of oz into the first bottle and it's then closed and put back into a cold place - the two-hour rule won't apply, it'll still be absolutely fine for a couple of oz for the next feed.

We use insulated pouches to keep our bottles cool while out and about, you'd find one fairly cheap (or even probably free on a freecycling site), or nappy bags usually have an insulated pocket. You'd just have to be sure that it's still cool though if you were away from the house for a long time.

I often find that my baby starts crying as soon as he realises his bottle is gone, so we have a soother ready to put in his mouth straight away, and he's usually fine straight away (and doesn't look for another feed until his usual time) - it's just the sucking motion he wants! If she takes soothers, that could be an option - or just offer the boob straight after the bottle, even if your milk isn't back in yet? By the way, fair play to ya for giving the relactation a go - I really hope it works out for you!

As long as the baby doesn't drink from the extra bottle - i.e. if it's just opened to pour a couple of oz into the first bottle and it's then closed and put back into a cold place - the two-hour rule won't apply, it'll still be absolutely fine for a couple of oz for the next feed.

We use insulated pouches to keep our bottles cool while out and about, you'd find one fairly cheap (or even probably free on a freecycling site), or nappy bags usually have an insulated pocket. You'd just have to be sure that it's still cool though if you were away from the house for a long time.

We're going to Dublin for the day on Saturday and wanted to take her with us, and wouldn't have access to any chilly facilities. We were just going to buy ready-made stuff for the day, but they only have 7oz in the Hipp cartons so we'd probably have to buy about 10 of them! :(

I often find that my baby starts crying as soon as he realises his bottle is gone, so we have a soother ready to put in his mouth straight away, and he's usually fine straight away (and doesn't look for another feed until his usual time) - it's just the sucking motion he wants! If she takes soothers, that could be an option - or just offer the boob straight after the bottle, even if your milk isn't back in yet? By the way, fair play to ya for giving the relactation a go - I really hope it works out for you!

She does take a dummy and is still (because I'm trying to relactate) nursing for comfort, but trust me - it's all hunger with her :p She refuses to take her dummy if she is hungry, only when she is sleepy or upset. It's actually how we figure out if she's looking for more or not.

I'm hoping if I can relactate enough for even one feed, I can spread out my supply over all her feeds and reduce the need for 9 or 10oz of formula!

• Advertisement

We're going to Dublin for the day on Saturday and wanted to take her with us, and wouldn't have access to any chilly facilities. We were just going to buy ready-made stuff for the day, but they only have 7oz in the Hipp cartons so we'd probably have to buy about 10 of them! :(

Yep unfortunately that's the problem with the ready made! They are only in 200ml bottles.... Unless you buy the litre cartons which then have to be put in fridge.

Advertisement