Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

July 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

Merkin wrote: »
    She's a little cutie Shasha!

If you don't mind my saying, I thought it was advised never to let a newborn sleep through the night/go that long without food? We've been told to feed every 3-4 hours on demand but never to let more than four hours go past without feeding and that includes during the night. Our little fellow is sometimes a little sleepyhead during the night but I still wake him gently up if it's four hours. I'm interested to hear if you've been told otherwise.

Our little fellow is definitely smiling already! It makes us melt! :)

Midwives in Wexford recommended no longer than 3-4 hour gaps during the day then allow them sleep as long as they want at night. In fact they said by keeping them well fed during the day the aim is to have them well satisfied for the night period! It's funny how advice differs in different areas!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Mad isn't it? Here in the UK, new Mums are advised to feed 3-4 hours regardless of whether it's day or night and then let the baby find their own little routine after about six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Mad isn't it? Here in the UK, new Mums are advised to feed 3-4 hours regardless of whether it's day or night and then let the baby find their own little routine after about six weeks.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind that? If you're lucky enough to have a newborn baby sleep more than four hours at night, seems crazy to me to be waking them! :D

I have had to ring the midwives in the hospital for advice twice since we've been home, and also the public health nurse, as little miss had a problem with constipation after changing from breast to bottle feeds. As I filled them in on her routine none of them expressed any concern with her occasional long sleep and in fact said I was very lucky. If I hadn't spoken to them I probably would have been worrying and wondering whether I should wake her as there was so much info given in the hospital and I really wonder a lot whether I have remembered it all correctly!! I think we all worry whichever way we choose to parent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    I have had to ring the midwives in the hospital for advice twice since we've been home, and also the public health nurse, as little miss had a problem with constipation after changing from breast to bottle feeds. As I filled them in on her routine none of them expressed any concern with her occasional long sleep and in fact said I was very lucky. If I hadn't spoken to them I probably would have been worrying and wondering whether I should wake her as there was so much info given in the hospital and I really wonder a lot whether I have remembered it all correctly!! I think we all worry whichever way we choose to parent :)

My health nurse nearly swallowed me whole when I told her Abi was on 5oz. Told me I was destroying her stomach and throat from all the vomiting as a baby her age could never hold down that much. I told her that the box of formula stated that a baby of 8lb at birth should be getting 4oz, and that she was already two weeks and over 9lb at that stage, so why shouldn't she be on 5?

Mentioned it to my GP, who has 4 kids. He laughed out loud and said "Does she have a problem drinking 5oz?" I said no, and he replied "There you are, then!"

Funny how you are supposed to wake your baby to follow a strict 3-4 hour routine if you formula feed, but the same person will tell you to offer your baby the breast whenever they want it? So much conflicting info, its no wonder so many mums get flustered!

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Mentioned it to my GP, who has 4 kids. He laughed out loud and said "Does she have a problem drinking 5oz?" I said no, and he replied "There you are, then!"

My biggest worry at the moment is how much to feed her. She has been on 3oz six times daily for 10 days now. If i gave her more I know she would demolish it! But I don't think she needs it as she seems satisfied on the current amount. She is a really fast feeder so I suspect she may be like adults in that it takes a few minutes after eating quickly to actually register she is full!

ETA - this worry definitely stems from having given up breast feeding. I have a history of weight and eating problems and was really swayed towards breast feeding by the evidence that it can reduce chances of obesity etc. After depriving her of those benefits I'm now paranoid about possibly overfeeding her with formula :(

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    My biggest worry at the moment is how much to feed her. She has been on 3oz six times daily for 10 days now. If i gave her more I know she would demolish it! But I don't think she needs it as she seems satisfied on the current amount. She is a really fast feeder so I suspect she may be like adults in that it takes a few minutes after eating quickly to actually register she is full!

ETA - this worry definitely stems from having given up breast feeding. I have a history of weight and eating problems and was really swayed towards breast feeding by the evidence that it can reduce chances of obesity etc. After depriving her of those benefits I'm now paranoid about possibly overfeeding her with formula :(

I was assured it's impossible. At the risk of sounding like I advocate hurting babies, if your baby has too much formula, they will puke. They won't continue to drink and digest. Again, just like people, when you are utterly full and keep eating, you will feel sick, and possibly regurgitate :o
    But if she isn't looking for more, I wouldn't give it to her. We worked out Abi wasn't getting enough when she HOWLED after her 3oz bottle was empty and tried to sooth herself by eating her hands.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I was assured it's impossible. At the risk of sounding like I advocate hurting babies, if your baby has too much formula, they will puke. They won't continue to drink and digest. Again, just like people, when you are utterly full and keep eating, you will feel sick, and possibly regurgitate :o
    But if she isn't looking for more, I wouldn't give it to her. We worked out Abi wasn't getting enough when she HOWLED after her 3oz bottle was empty and tried to sooth herself by eating her hands.

Well after she finishes her bottle she never cries but she does suck her hands etc, she even sucks any dribbles off her bib!! BUT she stops that after maybe 2 minutes then seems perfectly happy which is why u think her tummy just doesn't register immediately that she is full. She is due to be weighed by the PHN on Tuesday so depending on her weight gain I'll discuss with the nurse when to consider increasing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi all,

Any idea on what kind of weight gain you should be looking for week to week? Our baby has been doing quite well but in the past week only gained 3oz (80 grams). Would that be considered low?

Hey Dr.Winston. 3oz is a bit on the low side but still well within the normal range and very positive because it's a gain. I live in the UK and from birth until our tots are five we are assigned a health visitor who sees our bubba until their fifth birthday. We had our second visit today with her and our little chap has put on 8oz in the last week, so half a pound. She charted this for us and this gain is in the 75th percentile so I would imagine a 3oz gain is probably in the 30th percentile. She basically said that ANY gain is positive so try not to worry. They are INDIVIDUALS with their own little patterns and appetite and consequently any gain is good. Your bubs will have bigger gains with growth spurts too so while a gain might be smallish this week, your bubs could have a huge gain next week! In any event, sounds like your little one is doing great, please don't worry xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Thanks Merkin, yeah we both said before the weigh in that any gain would be positive as it was the first proper week of breast feeding and with the little bumps along that particular road we are just happy really he's obviously still getting enough to grow. Hopefully there will be larger gains in the future anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Our lad lost weight by the time he left hospital and only really started putting it on once we got his feeding sorted...with breastfeeding it can be tough so fair play, we're doing combined feeding at the mo'!

Anyone else got their period? Im on day 3 and its been ok and quite like a regular period in flow but Ive read girls had it easy for a few days and then it went supersonic so I wont get too excited yet:-) Today is the first day it went red from rusty brown so it may just be getting into the swing of things:-)

SmokeyEyes wrote: »
    Our lad lost weight by the time he left hospital and only really started putting it on once we got his feeding sorted...with breastfeeding it can be tough so fair play, we're doing combined feeding at the mo'!

Anyone else got their period? Im on day 3 and its been ok and quite like a regular period in flow but Ive read girls had it easy for a few days and then it went supersonic so I wont get too excited yet:-) Today is the first day it went red from rusty brown so it may just be getting into the swing of things:-)

I'm still bleeding from the birth three weeks ago today! Every time it seems to be stopping it comes back in full swing again :( That combined with the fact that my stitched area still feels bruised and knotted to the touch means that me and Daddy Bear aren't getting any more fun time, and the longer it goes on, the more afraid I am to try it!

Haven't had a period yet. In fact I stopped bleeding about ten days after bubs arrived, had three or four days of nothing then a massive gush of blood after overdoing it one day. Since then it's more or less disappeared, some intermittent spotting and now I'm left with a yellowy tinge on wiping but nothing else. Cannot wait to be intimate again with Mr. Merkin which I will expect be any day now but I just want to get birth control sorted so we can get get back to it, have been a horn monster since having baby but I know after a section I categorically cannot get pregnant again soon after a section so need to be sensible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Nearly 6 weeks here and no period yet have a feelinp could be here any day now though, shasha after my 1st I had a 4th degree rip it's was 11weeks before me and hubby could do anything :-( and it was about another 4weeks ish after that before it felt comfortable x a lot easier this time though thank god ;-)

Horn monster Merkin lol :pac:
    I'm the same so, absolutely gagging for it! Ordering some supplies (condoms and lube :p ) and I got my script for the pill to start next week, so we will definitely give it a go soon!
    OH had a look at the damage last night and he admitted it looks different, which actually made me sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Sinker

I am still bleeding 6 weeks after the birth :( thankfully though, it's only spotting the last days. It's draining me from all strength. I am anaemic anyway, so losing that much blood on top of that makes me so tired.. If you add the lack of sleep, then you can understand how annoying it is.
    I hope it stops soon so that I can get intimate with hubby. Poor guy he's been waiting for it toooo long!

First day home alone for me and little miss!!

Best of luck ocean you will do great x x

The mammy guilt is strong today!! She's asleep in her swing which probably isn't recommended, and even if it is probably not for this long. She's been in it a couple of hours now and I just can't bring myself to wake her up. I have definitely concluded this morning that she has a touch of silent reflux (mild thankfully) and keeping her slightly upright in the swing seems to be helping. Aarrgghhhh.

May get used to the mammy guilt, by all accounts I'll have it the rest of my life!!!!! :)

• Advertisement

Where ever she sleeps ocean once she is sleeping x I have left r sleep in her bouncer when she is unsettled put a blanket on her she be ok x

If you think she has reflux raise her head a bit by putting a blanket under her mattress??

How is everyone? We are great! The little pudding has put on another half pound this week and is in the 95th per centile for height so I think he's going to be a big boy! I'm really enjoying him, he's become very alert and interactive and I got a big gummy smile from him at 6am.....it may have been wind but it could equally have been him engaging with Mummy, I'll go with the latter! :D He's very good. Can be a bit fussy in the evenings for an hour or so but colic is sorted thanks to Colief, he's eating like a dream, and is just very chilled and happy. I can't believe he's almost a month old! LOVE him!

Glad to hear ye are doing so well merkin, we are doing great here too ruby will be 7weeks on Sunday and is full of smiles and fun, bit of colic too but getting there thankfully ;-) love having her around like she was always here x my eldest is 2on Sunda. So lots of excitement here x

Awwww delighted Betsie, Ruby sounds like a dote! They just change every day don't they? Bless the little things xx

Oh she is merkin her reactions are more and more every day xx but the smiles are amazing x when there face lights up with they see you x couldn't ask for anything better xx

I know! I got another one this morning, it's enough to make you melt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Hey everyone, quick post to say hi :-)

Can not get a minute to read boards these days. Hope you're all doing well and enjoying your wee ones. The fire's lit here and myself, hubby and baba are relaxing on the couch looking out at the rain.
    We popped into the nurse today to get a wee rash checked, which was just milk spots/heat rash and to see if all the breastfeeding was paying off, which it is as he's now over 11lbs :-)
    Still spot bleeding here 5 weeks later and a bit afraid of being intimate too but I think it would do me the world of good!! Might head off to bed early and see what happens...

Is anyone using a sling? Any recommendations?

Hey everyone, quick post to say hi :-)

Can not get a minute to read boards these days. Hope you're all doing well and enjoying your wee ones. The fire's lit here and myself, hubby and baba are relaxing on the couch looking out at the rain.
    We popped into the nurse today to get a wee rash checked, which was just milk spots/heat rash and to see if all the breastfeeding was paying off, which it is as he's now over 11lbs :-)
    Still spot bleeding here 5 weeks later and a bit afraid of being intimate too but I think it would do me the world of good!! Might head off to bed early and see what happens...

Is anyone using a sling? Any recommendations?

Not a sling, but we're using a two-way carrier from Mothercare. Granted she isn't in it all that often but it's very comfortable and she loves it! The slings and wraps just make me nervous!
    We've tried a few times now and I'm still getting a pinching feeling so we left it for a bit. Was so desperate to try again but the bloody bleeding kicked up again! Daddy Bear is, well lets just say it would have taken a monster of a baby to make things too loose for him... and wearing a condom as well is just uncomfortable even normally and it's just too risky without it. As he said himself "Pull out is nonsense, when I'm ready to go a pack of wild horses ain't gonna drag me out" :p

Hey ladies! Hope you're all well. Baby Merkin cannot be filled over the last couple of days! :D We are feeding him about 23-25oz a day and I'm curious to know what your little ones are taking in? Average feed is about 5oz and while this is within normal range I'm concerned about over feeding him too. I can't believe the rate he's growing which I suppose goes some way to explaining the hunger!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭shivers27

Hey ladies! Hope you're all well. Baby Merkin cannot be filled over the last couple of days! :D We are feeding him about 23-25oz a day and I'm curious to know what your little ones are taking in? Average feed is about 5oz and while this is within normal range I'm concerned about over feeding him too. I can't believe the rate he's growing which I suppose goes some way to explaining the hunger!:)

Hi, I have been following this thread for a while now. I had my baby boy July 31st weighing 8lb 12oz :-) He too is a big and very hungry boy. He's taking 5.5 - 6 oz 6 times a day

Advertisement