Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mux 2 Launched / Saorview Rescan Required

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

After rescanning parents TV in north Tipp, it seems its getting Mux 1 but not Mux 2. Ch 1 is just a blocky RTE 1 HD and 11 is RTE 1 (With the message on the guide to rescan blah blah)

Any idea how we can fix this? Are there any special setting to do with the frequency I can put in manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Souriau

jimbo2007 wrote: »
    Are you able to get a screengrab of the test cards at all? is it the Philios 2RN one like on saorsat or different? Are these SD or HD? Thanks.
    I had already taken via TSReader.

channel 12
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2102 (0x0836)
    H.264 Video: Resolution 1440 x 1080 Interlaced: 1

channel 13
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2103 (0x0837)
    H.264 Video: Resolution 544 x 576 Interlaced: 1

channel 14
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2104 (0x0838)

channel 15
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2105 (0x0839)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

After rescanning parents TV in north Tipp, it seems its getting Mux 1 but not Mux 2. Ch 1 is just a blocky RTE 1 HD and 11 is RTE 1 (With the message on the guide to rescan blah blah)

Any idea how we can fix this? Are there any special setting to do with the frequency I can put in manually?

Blocky RTÉ1 HD (Mux2) = Signal problem. What type of aerial are they using, indoor/outdoor?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jimbo2007

Souriau wrote: »
    I had already taken via TSReader.

channel 12
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2102 (0x0836)

channel 13
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2103 (0x0837)

channel 14
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2104 (0x0838)

channel 15
    Stream Type: 0x1b H.264 Video PID 2105 (0x0839)

Thanks for that. Will be interesting to see what happens on Monday if that is indeeed the day that RTE1 SD closes on DTT. Any clues yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭irishcsifan

HI i did a scan during the week for parents on their saorview/freesat triax box and I got all the channel but I did I rescan again and all the extra channels are gone. I'm in the mitchelstown area and its an outdoor aerial.

• Advertisement

HI i did a scan during the week for parents on their saorview/freesat triax box and I got all the channel but I did I rescan again and all the extra channels are gone. I'm in the mitchelstown area and its an outdoor aerial.

Why did you do a rescan again is everything was OK?
    What extra channels are gone?

The Cush wrote: »
    Why did you do a rescan again is everything was OK?
    What extra channels are gone?

I did the rescan again and got the channels back. Rte has moved the channel 12 but It getting very choppy. it might be the cable because when i touch the back the reception is fine but I leave it go and its get choppy again. I had the hold the cable doing the rescan to get the channels back.. I have it fixed now but I swear i must give off some kind of electrical current cause if go the near the tv. the reception will go weird.

I have it fixed now but I swear i must give off some kind of electrical current cause if go the near the tv. the reception will go weird.

Are you using an indoor aerial?
    How old is the cabling?
    Is the connector loose on the cable?

Are you using an indoor aerial?
    How old is the cabling?
    Is the connector loose on the cable?

Thats the thing. The cable is only a couple of years old and its an outdoor aerial

Thats the thing. The cable is only a couple of years old and its an outdoor aerial

I have also to my dad on this he may need to get it professionally looked at.

• Advertisement

I think you may have an aerial or cable problem. Check your cable, connections at the TV and at the aerial if possible. If you can't do it yourself you should have a local installer look at it alright

I think you may have an aerial or cable problem. Check your cable, connections at the TV and at the aerial if possible. If you can't do it yourself you should have a local installer look at it alright

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭seanp_25

RTE ONE dog is back today.

The dog itself is upscaled SD, unlike the sharp HD one on RTE TWO HD.

I'd assume that the aspect ratio of 4:3 stuff on RTE One HD will still be wrong. Father Ted on RTE Two HD last night was still stretched to a 16:9 frame.

seanp_25 wrote: »
    RTE ONE dog is back today.

The dog itself is upscaled SD, unlike the sharp HD one on RTE TWO HD.

It came back on Thursday - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87404355

• Registered Users Posts: 14,484 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ya I'm getting this on both TVs in South Tipp.

Signal coming up as 100% and still can't get RTE1 on channel 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yes, it would be great if RTÉ sorted out how 4:3 content is displayed. It should be pillarboxed by them and broadcast that way, not stretched to fill the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes on HD, as there is no anamorphic flag on HD. But on SD, it should be OAR with anamorphic flag set to 4:3.
    For films they should be OAR with letterbox or pillarbox as required (some are 1.66:1 which is wider than 4:3 but narrower than TV's 1.78:1). Almost all films are wider than TV Widescreen. The 1.85:1 though are normally just slightly cropped at sides for TV & DVD/BD distribution. Though if your TV doesn't overscan you may notice small black bars on some Disk releases of Cinema 1.85:1 content.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Does anyone know....

What channel numbers need to be searched for a manual retune for Saorview muxes in North Louth?

Also anyone know the relevant current channel numbers for uk freeview muxes for north louth?

Cheers!:)

What channel numbers need to be searched for a manual retune for Saorview muxes in North Louth?

Also anyone know the relevant current channel numbers for uk freeview muxes for north louth?

Find the recommended transmitter and frequency for your location here - http://www.saorview.ie/get-saorview/make-the-switch/coverage-map/

NI Freeview transmitters here - http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php?c=6 (zoom in and click on a transmitter to see its coverage area)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

The Cush.
    Good afternoon.
    Let's hope the information in your 2nd link is correct as it isn't for Mt Leinster.
    I spent ages trying to get a signal on CH39, as stated, when really it is CH26.
    Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    Let's hope the information in your 2nd link is correct as it isn't for Mt Leinster.
    I spent ages trying to get a signal on CH39, as stated, when really it is CH26.

I'm not responsible for the information contained in the links :D

For Saorview information I'd always recommend checking an official source such as the Saorview coverage checker or the 2RN website.

Mt Leinster moved from Ch 39 to Ch 26 after ASO last Oct 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

I rescanned today. Then channels are there, but channel names and "whats on now" has been lost. Is this going to come back in due course, or is RTNL no longer broadcasting this information do you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

I rescanned today. Then channels are there, but channel names and "whats on now" has been lost.

Which channel names? RTE1, RTE1 +1 & RTE jr.? Those are the 'old' versions that will disappear, more than likely within the next day or 2.

I rescanned today. Then channels are there, but channel names and "whats on now" has been lost. Is this going to come back in due course, or is RTNL no longer broadcasting this information do you know?

This is the current channel line-up on Saorview .

Channel line-up by LCN
    LCN
    |
    Channel
    ||
    Mux
    |
    01|RTÉ One|HD|2|
    02|RTÉ Two|HD|1|
    03|TV3|SD|1|
    04|TG4|SD|1|
    05|3e|SD|1|
    06|RTÉ News Now|SD|1|
    07|RTÉjr**|SD|2|
    08|RTÉ One +1**|SD|2|
    09-10|(not used)|||
    11|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ 1 simulcast)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    12*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|
    13*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    14*|(no channel name/testcard)|HD|2|TG4 subtitles and teletext tested previously
    15*|(no channel name/testcard)|SD|2| RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    16|(not used)|||
    17|no channel name/programme info (RTÉjr simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    18|no channel name/programme info (RTÉ1 +1 simulcast**)|SD|1|temporary, ends 11/12th Nov?
    200|RTÉ Radio 1|Radio|1|
    201|RTÉ Radio 1 Extra|Radio|1|
    202|RTÉ 2FM|Radio|1|
    203|RTÉ Lyric FM|Radio|1|
    204|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta|Radio|1|
    205|RTÉ Pulse|Radio|1|
    206|RTÉ 2XM|Radio|1|
    207*|(not used)||1|previously RTÉ Choice
    208|RTÉ Gold|Radio|1|
    209|RTÉ Junior/RTÉ Chill|Radio|1|
    210|(not used)||
    211-212*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    213*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Lyric FM audio
    214*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta audio
    215-217*|(no radio channel names)|Radio|2|no audio
    218-219*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|RTÉ Gold audio
    220*|(no radio channel name)|Radio|2|no audio
    249*|SSU|data channel|1|
    250*|SSU|data channel|2|

* Hidden but can be selected by entering the channel no. via the remote control
    ** RTÉjr 0700-1845 approx / RTÉ One +1 1900-0100/0200 approx. Timesharing.

Paddy C wrote: »
    Yes, it would be great if RTÉ sorted out how 4:3 content is displayed. It should be pillarboxed by them and broadcast that way, not stretched to fill the screen.
    watty wrote: »
    Yes on HD, as there is no anamorphic flag on HD. But on SD, it should be OAR with anamorphic flag set to 4:3.
    For films they should be OAR with letterbox or pillarbox as required (some are 1.66:1 which is wider than 4:3 but narrower than TV's 1.78:1). Almost all films are wider than TV Widescreen. The 1.85:1 though are normally just slightly cropped at sides for TV & DVD/BD distribution. Though if your TV doesn't overscan you may notice small black bars on some Disk releases of Cinema 1.85:1 content.

As expected, Reeling in the Years is stretched on RTE One HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Karsini wrote: »
    As expected, Reeling in the Years is stretched on RTE One HD.

A film called 'Tough Guys' was on RTE 2 HD earlier in the afternoon and was also in 'stretchyvision'. It looked really really poor. Surely RTE are going to sort this out in the near future? 4:3 material on stations such as Channel 4 HD is pillarboxed correctly.

Also some TV's can't even be manually switched to 4:3 in an attempt to view material properly. Sony's W4000 and V4500 TV's can't select this ratio when viewing a 1080i source.

Actually TVs are not supposed to be able to reformat HD content, only SD content! HD content is NEVER supposed to change in aspect ratio. Non 16:9 material is supposed to be inserted in a 16:9 frame at source (Broadcast, Streaming or Disk).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

watty wrote: »
    Actually TVs are not supposed to be able to reformat HD content, only SD content! HD content is NEVER supposed to change in aspect ratio. Non 16:9 material is supposed to be inserted in a 16:9 frame at source (Broadcast, Streaming or Disk).

Interesting. My current TV (Sony EX524) allows switching to 4:3, even with a 1080i source, as does an older LG LH2000 series.

• Advertisement

Possibly to suit Computer display?

Anyway the responsibility is on the BROADCASTER to get HD right as the spec says ALWAYS have a 16:9 frame for HD and there is NO requirement for a viewer's TV to be able to fix it. Unlike SD.

Advertisement