Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Added this one up on Bargain Alerts Amazon Fire TV

Im unsure about Amazon TV...does XBMC really run on them?

I would love to try out on trial but cant see that happening:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Big Nelly wrote: »

Seems ok to me: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

Ahhh I hate it.......sitting here contemplating buying one :P

Have just bought the Minix so in reality have no use for it but like to play with flashy new toys!! :P

Going to have a look at spec again and see if that changes my mind....using the wifes Amazon as well to get the Prime so she will kill me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H-Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-Dolby-DTS-328163.html

If I was to combine this device with my brand new Samsung Smart Tv... what kind of wondrous things can I watch??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

http://www.alashiban.com/running-xbmc-amazon-firetv-step-step-tutorial/

• Advertisement

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MINIX-NEO-X8-H-Amlogic-S802-H-Quad-Core-2-0Ghz-Android-TV-BOX-2G-16G-Dual-Band-WIFI-2-4G-5-8G-Bluetooth-4-0-XBMC-Dolby-DTS-328163.html

If I was to combine this device with my brand new Samsung Smart Tv... what kind of wondrous things can I watch??

Would drop the Smart from your TV anyway:D

More or less with X8 you can watch anything, any film/TV show/sport etc. Its android so can use for gaming etc as well.....

My opinion is Smart TV's are a waste of money, you are better off investing in a external box....

Added this one up on Bargain Alerts Amazon Fire TV

Ended up buying the Amazon Fire. Not sure why, not sure if I will ever use it?

Why did you buy it? you might ask...very sane questions.....

The answer might be is the person who bought it sane :P:P:P:P:P:P

I love shiny new things to mess around with :-)

Would drop the Smart from your TV anyway:D

More or less with X8 you can watch anything, any film/TV show/sport etc. Its android so can use for gaming etc as well.....

My opinion is Smart TV's are a waste of money, you are better off investing in a external box....

... the best place to buy one??

... the best place to buy one??

WHich box you looking for?

WHich box you looking for?

The MINIX Neo X8-h

• Advertisement

The MINIX Neo X8-h

Already posted on this thread.....

I recommend Futeko. Read about 2 pages back for more info

Already posted on this thread.....

I recommend Futeko. Read about 2 pages back for more info

sorry further back, but Fuketo have quick delivery. Use parcelmotel to get delivered for cheaper or pay extra to delivery straight to Ireland

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP053.php

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acelt67

Am seriously contemplating getting one of these and have been following this thread for a while,and feel i may as well get something thats fairly powerfull,so its looking very much like the MINIX Neo X8-h - tho please chime in if you think theres anything better out there?!

Big Nelly you seem to be the one to ask here - if i order from futeko is everything already set up ie XBMC etc,as im none too technical minded,and if not is there much hassle in setting them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Ace

The Minix will have XBMC on it, but to stream movies / TV series, you need to install at least two addons , the two I use are Navi X and Mashup

There may other add-ons, folks here will recommend

To install the addons go to Youtube, search for XBMC Gotham (Gotham is the version of XBMC) and mash up ...also XBMC Gotham and Navi X, there are lots of vids on youtube on how to install addons

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭acelt67

Many thanks for the reply k123456,do you own the MINIX Neo X8-h yourself and if so would you recommend it?
    Would also like to know if the picture quality is good off the streams as id be using this box strictly for TV in the room?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

acelt67 wrote: »
    Many thanks for the reply k123456,do you own the MINIX Neo X8-h yourself and if so would you recommend it?
    Would also like to know if the picture quality is good off the streams as id be using this box strictly for TV in the room?!

Its an excellent box, def recommend it, bought from Fuketo UK

Re the pic quality, if the movie is v recent, ie not available on DVD , the quality will only be fair

For any movies, older than two months the quality will be very good or excellent

For TV series (that people have downloaded and shared), the quality is excellent, these are mostly High Quality US TV series , true detective etc

For live TV, sky sports, etc, quality is average, there are prob HD live streams avail, but I haven't come across any yet

RTE , BBC etc, for recent episodes, there can be watched in reasonable quality
    using RTE Player, BBC iplayer, this are Android apps, rather than XBMC addons
    There may be XBMC addons for BBC < Rte , C4 etc, but for the moment I use the Android iplayer apps

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Was thinking about getting the neo x8-h myself for a second TV. I've got a bay trail NUC on my main TV but would be interesting to see how the android solutions have evolved since I first tried an android stick about a year ago.

But a couple of posters have indicated they were less than happy with performance, one going as far as to say it's no faster than the Apple TV which is pretty slow! Can some neo x8 owners here confirm how snappy it is to go thru the menus and load up a movie? And does it ever crash or lock up?

acelt67 wrote: »
    Big Nelly you seem to be the one to ask here - if i order from futeko is everything already set up ie XBMC etc,as im none too technical minded,and if not is there much hassle in setting them up?

I only know anything thanks to the great help I have got on here. Got me up and running and very much appreciated. Thanks guys!

So to continue the help. You get XBMC Minix version preinstalled, but none of the channels etc are loaded. k123456 done a great review to be honest so no point going over that.....

Really it depends on what you want from box? is it Movies/TV shows?

I have found loads of options over the few months I have been using so better to look at what you want the box for.

sorry further back, but Fuketo have quick delivery. Use parcelmotel to get delivered for cheaper or pay extra to delivery straight to Ireland

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP053.php

Nelly

Just wondering about the difference between the one you linked to and this one, please...

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP052.php

Nelly

Just wondering about the difference between the one you linked to and this one, please...

http://www.futeko.com/products/MP052.php

That's the 8GB version, the X8-H is 16GB. Not a huge problem with these boxes to be honest as you don't really use the 8GB

The other main difference is the X8-H has

DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Audio Decoding and Passthrough Essential for use in a home cinema, the X8-H has DTS and Dolby Digital licences so can decode and pass 5.1 channel surround sound.

This is not on the X8 version. You also get the airmouse free with the X8-H but to be honest I have left that in the box since it arrived

• Advertisement

That's the 8GB version, the X8-H is 16GB. Not a huge problem with these boxes to be honest as you don't really use the 8GB

The other main difference is the X8-H has

DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 Channel Audio Decoding and Passthrough Essential for use in a home cinema, the X8-H has DTS and Dolby Digital licences so can decode and pass 5.1 channel surround sound.

This is not on the X8 version. You also get the airmouse free with the X8-H but to be honest I have left that in the box since it arrived

Thanks very much for your help Nelly - like a previous poster, this may as well be written in ancient Egyptian to me!

Thanks very much for your help Nelly - like a previous poster, this may as well be written in ancient Egyptian to me!

So what it means. The X8-H has a hardware decoder. The X8 has a software solution. For better performance on video playback etc the hardware decoder will work better. So if you are looking at High Def films etc you will get better performance/picture with hardware solution

That is the advantage of the X8-H

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

just wondering if anyone here is thinking of getting an Amazon Fire to run XBMC/Kodi on?

I've just bought one, looking forward to trying it out once it's released

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00KQEJBSW/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1410261678&sr=1-1&keywords=fire+tv

Moyglish wrote: »
    just wondering if anyone here is thinking of getting an Amazon Fire to run XBMC/Kodi on?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-CL1130-Fire-TV/dp/B00KQEJBSW/ref=sr_tr_sr_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1410261678&sr=1-1&keywords=fire+tv

I bought it, not sure why, I will probably use it for a day and then sell it on :-) I can't see it been better than the X8-H......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

Moyglish wrote: »

Have two minix myself, unfortunately don't have room for another tv/box but if friends are looking for an afforable introduction to XBMC I'll be recommending it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Anyone know how to direct acestream cache to external sd/usb?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

user2011 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to direct acestream cache to external sd/usb?

In settings, Cache Directory.

Allyall wrote: »
    In settings, Cache Directory.

Using 2.2.10 think it's the latest, I click into settings click on cache directory not letting me edit it gives me this after I click on 2 dots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

user2011 wrote: »
    Using 2.2.10 think it's the latest, I click into settings click on cache directory not letting me edit it gives me this after I click on 2 dots.

What OS do you have?

• Advertisement

4.4.2 minix neo x8-h updated it this morning to the latest release http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/ and rooted it thinking that would help me but nope.

I wouldn't mind if this was on the mk/Prometheus but the minix has emmc when i was going back through this thread someone mentioned that emmc and acestream cache do not play well together for the life span of the emmc (after i had bought the box :pac::()

See the cache at the bottom of the screenshot when I click that then ok it the word cache comes after acestream then i can get different options like looking in the Android folder/download folder/dcim folder but i can't see anything for external ive an apps folder of backed up apps from mk908ii on a usb drive and the root zip on the sd card.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement