Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

k123456 wrote: »
    You may need to disable Wifi, perhaps the wired and wireless cannot coexist

or if this does not work, assign an ip, ie no dhcp

Yeah I had disabled the wifi....

Checked the Minix forum and seemingly the firmware needs to be updated first, and that might resolve some of the issues.....then if not working I have to pull out DHCP.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

I have the minix 8h too, on wired , all OK

There is an update to v2 FW , in the next few days, the current updates are Beta, but i think they have some kinda Eth fix in them

The only minor issue I have with the Minix is you have to manually switch on using the power switch , the remote does not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Yeah I had disabled the wifi....

Checked the Minix forum and seemingly the firmware needs to be updated first, and that might resolve some of the issues.....then if not working I have to pull out DHCP.....

Horizon box has multiple ports in the back. Did you try a different one. I remember when I got my android box I had some issue like this. Wired connection wasnt working but it did work eventually after a bit of fiddling around and since then no issues. I think wifi needs to be turned off for eithernet to work.

I will check back the settings when I go back home in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ And eithernet needs to be turned on in the settings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

Hi Guys

So got my Minix X8-H last night. Looks a nice box so far, but came via parcel motel so only got at 10 last night. Cost with parcel Motel €138.57 so not too bad, bought off Fuketo

How long was the delivery ? Ordered one this morning from fuketo and hoping to have it before the weekend.

• Advertisement

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    How long was the delivery ? Ordered one this morning from fuketo and hoping to have it before the weekend.

I ordered Sunday, didn't ship till Monday afternoon, was delivered to Parcel Motel in North at 10.33 yesterday morning and was dropped off by Parcel Motel at my collection point at 8.30 last night....

Very quick to be honest

Quick Edit, I am based in Dublin......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I ordered an X8-h from futeko on Tuesday 2 weeks back.
    It shipped Tuesday evening.
    PM had it the Wednesday morning.
    Gets sent to Limerick overnight, so I had it by Thursday morning.

Very fast service I had also, like poster above :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

does futeko have 12 month warranty?
    I hear good reports about them
    might be the best option for peace of mind

eBay sellers and the like are hardly going to take it back after 6 months?

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I ordered an X8-h from futeko on Tuesday 2 weeks back.
    It shipped Tuesday evening.
    PM had it the Wednesday morning.
    Gets sent to Limerick overnight, so I had it by Thursday morning.

Very fast service I had also, like poster above :)

Did you have a problem with the firmware? I checked when I was came home and the firmware was a bit f**ked up and that why I was having so many issues. Looked like it was rooted but was done badly.....anyway loaded on firmware from link below and resolved all the issues......

http://minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Did you have a problem with the firmware? I checked when I was came home and the firmware was a bit f**ked up and that why I was having so many issues. Looked like it was rooted but was done badly.....anyway loaded on firmware from link below and resolved all the issues......

http://minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

Just out of interest, did you notice any changes to the system, with the new FW, is there any new functions, improvements etc

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    Just out of interest, did you notice any changes to the system, with the new FW, is there any new functions, improvements etc

The load times for Xbmc seem to be a lot faster and the other apps seem to load faster.....

I had numerous problems
    Picture was not in middle of screen - fixed
    Play Store hanging - fixed
    Ethernet not working - fixed
    Wifi dodgy - haven't checked
    Firmware update screen with incorrect spelling - fixed:eek:

I didn't do much else before I reloaded with new firmware but the box seems alot better so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

what is the best android box out there at the moment?

I had no issues with the firmware now, I have to say.
    Futeko don't touch the devices that they get according to their website, so you get it the same way they would have.
    Others 'fully load' the boxes which basically sets them up with extra sortware and they would probably attempt to root them also if the end user asked for it.

Did your box with dodgy f/w come from futeko?

I rooted mine once I got it and running, but it's running fine after doing so :)

I had no issues with the firmware now, I have to say.
    Futeko don't touch the devices that they get according to their website, so you get it the same way they would have.
    Others 'fully load' the boxes which basically sets them up with extra sortware and they would probably attempt to root them also if the end user asked for it.

Did your box with dodgy f/w come from futeko?

I rooted mine once I got it and running, but it's running fine after doing so :)

Yeah bought direct off Futeko. I had a concern when I looked on the firmware update page and the spelling was wrong. That is why I though it could have been routed? also when I turned on it didn't give me the option to set up the screen etc which I got after I flashed the firmware with the Minix update

Yeah bought direct off Futeko. I had a concern when I looked on the firmware update page and the spelling was wrong. That is why I though it could have been routed? also when I turned on it didn't give me the option to set up the screen etc which I got after I flashed the firmware with the Minix update

Strange, perhaps you got one from the back of the store which had an older firmware version on it, that was missing some features and lacked proper translation.

At least the f/w you have now is working for you :pac:

Strange, perhaps you got one from the back of the store which had an older firmware version on it, that was missing some features and lacked proper translation.

At least the f/w you have now is working for you :pac:

Was thinking the same.....from reading there has been a couple of firmware levels and there seems to be stock out there with a number of different versions....Minix are just saying when you turn them on check the firmware first thing and try and use the firmware upgrade tool built in....if that doesn't work then check there forum for versions....

Was thinking the same.....from reading there has been a couple of firmware levels and there seems to be stock out there with a number of different versions....Minix are just saying when you turn them on check the firmware first thing and try and use the firmware upgrade tool built in....if that doesn't work then check there forum for versions....

There's also beta software on the forums, if that's your sort of thing!

Do you know of a way to check what f/w version you are on currently, I never did figure out how to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Karen23 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I ordered MX-II RK3188 Quad Core Android 4.2 2GB RAM 8GB ROM TV Box / Mini PC Built-in Bluetooth / Wi-Fi / HDMI and it was delivered today.

Plugged it in tonight and pressed the power button and there is a very faint light but nothing else.

Anyone any idea if there's something else I need to do on the initial set up that I'm missing

Thanks in advance

So we ended up dumping this one we got from A Happy Deal. Brought it to a shop and they said the motherboard was shot, tried to send it back and An Post wouldn't accept it. They said customs would destroy it so we ended up buying this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281373182325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

Arrived yesterday, so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

So we ended up dumping this one we got from A Happy Deal. Brought it to a shop and they said the motherboard was shot, tried to send it back and An Post wouldn't accept it. They said customs would destroy it so we ended up buying this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281373182325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

Arrived yesterday, so far so good.

That's a shame. Have you contacted Dealsmachine and told them what happened?

The MX2 that you have is great.
    There are some good ROMs available for it too, and very easy to flash. But if you're happy with everything as is, then maybe no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Yes, we did contact Dealsmachine. They had no problem either paying for repair or refunding the cost once the item was returned. As we can neither have it repaired or return it I suppose we'll just have to write it off. Thankfully it wasn't a huge amount of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Yes, we did contact Dealsmachine. They had no problem either paying for repair or refunding the cost once the item was returned. As we can neither have it repaired or return it I suppose we'll just have to write it off. Thankfully it wasn't a huge amount of money.

Can you get a statement from the repair shop? As presumably that is what you would have needed, had they repaired it.

Or just write a bad review of them on every review site, and they'll probably contact you.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Allyall wrote: »
    That's a shame. Have you contacted Dealsmachine and told them what happened?

The MX2 that you have is great.
    There are some good ROMs available for it too, and very easy to flash. But if you're happy with everything as is, then maybe no need.

Just got an MXII, what benefits would I see from a custom ROM? Tried to root it however any root program I used had issues and couldn't root it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I have one of these units. Bought it on Adverts from a guy in Cork. touch.adverts.ie/media-players/cyclone-android-x2-smart-tv-internet-box-media-streamer/3088820
    Works fine, I've never had a problem with it. You need to get a remote as I don't think there's one with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

This is the cheapest i've seen the Minex 8-H from a local supplier.

http://www.eiregadget.com/apps/webstore/products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

This is the cheapest i've seen the Minex 8-H from a local supplier.

http://www.eiregadget.com/apps/webstore/products

When you add that to your basket and include Tax & Shipping it comes to....
    Item total €144.50
    Tax: €4.34
    Shipping and handling: loading€12.00

Total €160.84 EUR

bazzz wrote: »
    When you add that to your basket and include Tax & Shipping it comes to....
    Item total €144.50
    Tax: €4.34
    Shipping and handling: loading€12.00

Total €160.84 EUR

You're right! Dammit, I just took the headline price! I dunno where he gets his tax figure from??
    He's in sandyford, so I suppose Dublin buyers can collect?

So it seems the Waterford guys are still the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

You're right! Dammit, I just took the headline price! I dunno where he gets his tax figure from??
    He's in sandyford, so I suppose Dublin buyers can collect?

So it seems the Waterford guys are still the cheapest.

Well I'm biased towards The Waterford Guy ,he's a relation of mine;)...He will be able eventually come down in pricing,I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭Invincible

bazzz wrote: »
    Well I'm biased towards The Waterford Guy ,he's a relation of mine;)...He will be able eventually come down in pricing,I hope.

Is this the same box he has for €90
    http://smarttvbox.ie/component/jshopping/shop/cs918-quad-core-smart-tv-box-android-4-2-2-os.html?Itemid=0

as this one for £50 on ebay?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161104821402

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement