Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

You may have to wait for a workaround. I'm not sure if one has been made available yet, Android 4.4 (Kitkat) made a lot of changes with permissions to write to external sources (SD/MicroSD card etc.)

You can read more here - KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood

Try this.
    It is best if you have a high-speed class 10 card.

Download this - Root External 2 Internal SD
    Instructions are in the Description:
    Description
    Ever wanted to swap your internal sdcard and your external sdcard? Yes, you can ! ... fix this annoying thing which make your phone using only few GB when you a full 64GB or even a 32GB one...it works with every devices with external sdcards ;)
    For example, you own a Galaxy S3 with 16 internal GB and a 32GB external sdcard > as a result, you only have around 13GB to install apps (and their data even if they install these files on the "external sdcard" since it is /sdcard which is ... the internal one ;) >> thanks samsung for not having change the getExternalFolder() in the source *kof* )
    so the application is VERY simple :
    on the main screen you can choose to change the sdcards until the phone reboot or at every boots
    Now, the "difficult" part (lol), in which not that I am not responsible for problem but I am here to help to resolve everything (!)
    In the settings, often update the rom configuration lists with the item at the top/right button

Swap the devices
    first of all, copy the internal sdcard Android folder to the external one to "update" the external sdcard and prevent bug in your apps
    If your rom/device is in the list > click on it to check it and go to the main screen, then update the mode you want
    if your device does not appear, you will have to customize the script
    > select the original internal sdcard folder
    > select the original external sdcard folder
    > select the device which represent the sdcard at the system level (tricky!)
    > edit the mount options
    to manage the two last parts :
    1/ click on the last option to see the whole device list
    2/ seek for a vfat device (if your sdcard is a fat32 one), ext4 if it was formatted to ext4, etc...
    3.a/ if you found it, click on it and go to the main screen and go back to setting screen to check if the device in custom area changed
    3.b/ if you did not find it, you can send me the list to help find the device, and then I will be able to update the device list, fix bugs, etc...
    4/ edit the option values with the default options you want for the mount. Often erase before "allow_time="
    but in most case, simply put this value in the field>> umask=0000
    note that in case of wrong edit, you can reset this field with the use of the first manipulation (1)
    5/ go back to the main screen and update the script if you want (boot only)
    i recommend to perform a reboot before any swap (in order to be sure to swap the two original folders

Some alternative options
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-bypass-Android-44-KitKat-external-SD-write-/
    and similar to what i posted above, but may be more detailed in the thread
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?10135-How-to-cache-to-External-SDcard-speed-up-video-buffering-faster-and-smoother-video-streaming&highlight=How+to+cache+to+External+SDcard+speed+up+video+buffering%2C+faster+and+smoother+video+streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

For XBMC users watch this guys tutorial video! I just did and now have over 300 channels. He's brilliant. Check him out guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXbMmrgfFc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

DenMan wrote: »
    For XBMC users watch this guys tutorial video! I just did and now have over 300 channels. He's brilliant. Check him out guys!

This is the same guy who I use. His videos are brill.

I posted his youtube links before, but nobody seemed to care, so I didn't bother anymore.

He also has a FB page and a Google page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Thanks for this. What xbmc version are you using? Tried it with Gotham 13.0 but can't get it going.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Thanks for this. What xbmc version are you using? Tried it with Gotham 13.0 but can't get it going.

He says in teh vids 13.2 (I think)

also works with Kodi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Tried it earlier, worked as a treat however some lagging, must try with wired connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

user2011 wrote: »
    4.4.2 minix neo x8-h updated it this morning to the latest release http://www.minixforum.com/threads/update-10-aug-2014-x8-h-flashable-zip-for-neo-x8-h.98/

I see at the start of the instructions it says you need to have a USB keyboard attached or you can't use the menu's. I only have Bluetooth Keyboards in my house, one for a PC and one for the X8-h. Does that mean I can't flash the upgrade without going to PC World and picking up a wired USB keyboard I'll never use again? (Or somehow borrowing one from someone?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks a mil, looks interesting, will try to set up the add ons

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭DenMan

jgbyr wrote: »

I'm running Gotham 13.1.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

BenThere wrote: »
    I see at the start of the instructions it says you need to have a USB keyboard attached or you can't use the menu's. I only have Bluetooth Keyboards in my house, one for a PC and one for the X8-h. Does that mean I can't flash the upgrade without going to PC World and picking up a wired USB keyboard I'll never use again? (Or somehow borrowing one from someone?)

I used my wireless keyboard no problems in updating or rooting it.

Logitech k400r if that is any help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Get the Neo A2 keyboard/Airmouse, they're about €30, or try looking for a cheaper one, I think Measy or some of the nonames do them for €10-€15, These aew USB, they come with a little USB dongle which you plug into the box, and this alows the Keyboard/mouse to connect to the box.

The A2 is geared to control all Minex boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

I'm running Gotham 13.1.1

Got it sorted. Had the wrong address! Working now with 13.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

how do i get PVR iptvsimple client installed on my Android Box. Its not giving me that client when i go to select it on the live tv section.Its giving me a load of other different options. It gives me the PVR Demo Client but not the one i need.

Im running XBMC 12.2 If that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭bigron2109

bigron2109 wrote: »
    how do i get PVR iptvsimple client installed on my Android Box. Its not giving me that client when i go to select it on the live tv section.Its giving me a load of other different options. It gives me the PVR Demo Client but not the one i need.

Im running XBMC 12.2 If that helps.

Got it sorted. Had to update to a later version of XBMC

user2011 wrote: »
    I used my wireless keyboard no problems in updating or rooting it.

Logitech k400r if that is any help
    Cool, I think I have the same model actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

That video is how to add the EPG, channel list, check out his other video's to get the channels.....

They work well but if you have a football match on in PL you wil find the sports channels are killed.....

Big Nelly wrote: »
    They work well but if you have a football match on in PL you wil find the sports channels are killed.....

That's something I'd like to understand from a technical perspective. I have a picture in my head (obviously incorrectly) that so long as the "broadcaster" is sending out a high quality stream whoever connects to it should also receive a high quality stream regardless of how many people are connecting to it but I guess this is how analogue/satellite technology works whereas online if a high quality stream is available and 100 people are watching it they might all have a high quality experience whereas if 10,000 people are watching it the quality is somehow divvied up amongst them resulting in everyone having a pretty poor experience with lot's of buffering and stop/starting etc. A bit like an original painting being photocopied and then the photocopy is itself photocopied and so on until the image is barely recognisable?

Might be a tad off topic - apologies :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Is it possible to upgrade a minix neo 5 mini to Gotham 13.2. I don't know what version I have at the moment it's says Custom wizard or something like that when I log in. I got it from the fella in Dunleer so it came preloaded.

I don't have an option for live tv on it at the moment (though I can use FTV etc) but like the look of the channels in the video mentioned previously.

Is it possible to upgrade a minix neo 5 mini to Gotham 13.2. I don't know what version I have at the moment it's says Custom wizard or something like that when I log in. I got it from the fella in Dunleer so it came preloaded.

I don't have an option for live tv on it at the moment (though I can use FTV etc) but like the look of the channels in the video mentioned previously.

Minix XBMC v13 is available from Minix website

Minix XBMC v13 is available from Minix website
    What advantage does the Minix version of XBMC have over the official version? I have an X7 and now an X8-h and it's on my to-do list to set up the latest XBMC/KODI with all the bells and whistles for the increased use of TV during winter.

• Advertisement

That video is how to add the EPG, channel list, check out his other video's to get the channels.....

Strange, they worked perfectly fine for me last PL weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

What advantage does the Minix version of XBMC have over the official version? I have an X7 and now an X8-h and it's on my to-do list to set up the latest XBMC/KODI with all the bells and whistles for the increased use of TV during winter.

Not 100% sure, Minix recommend it as they say they have changed the settings on XBMC to run better on there technology.

That's something I'd like to understand from a technical perspective. I have a picture in my head (obviously incorrectly) that so long as the "broadcaster" is sending out a high quality stream whoever connects to it should also receive a high quality stream regardless of how many people are connecting to it but I guess this is how analogue/satellite technology works whereas online if a high quality stream is available and 100 people are watching it they might all have a high quality experience whereas if 10,000 people are watching it the quality is somehow divvied up amongst them resulting in everyone having a pretty poor experience with lot's of buffering and stop/starting etc. A bit like an original painting being photocopied and then the photocopy is itself photocopied and so on until the image is barely recognisable?

Might be a tad off topic - apologies :o

Not sure if this will help but if a person is receiving a sat. stream from a broadcaster he/she is then changing that sat. stream to an internet stream thus changing the compression etc of the stream from its original format etc.

Now if it is an IPTV stream, the original format is internet based and if that stream is forwarded on there is no need to change any compression settings etc

Eg. in the first scenario you are changing an apple into an orange whereas in the second scenario the apple stays an apple :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Emma1980

Does anyone know on the Cyclone Android X2 box why the NET orange light would be flashing? I have a box myself and it works fine, no flashing lights but bought a 2nd one for a family member and when OH was setting it up, the orange light kept flashing. It turns on and seems to work ok but i contacted the company in Cork where i bought it from and their only suggestion was a reset which was done but still the orange light flashes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

Has anyone been able to get iptv working on minix x8 h, running the factory installed gotham version , that comes with the minix

k123456 wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to get iptv working on minix x8 h, running the factory installed gotham version , that comes with the minix

Yes working fine

k123456 wrote: »

The URL he tells you to enter in the video has changed. It took me an hour to figure that out. the new URL is listed at the top of the description to the video, underneath where the video plays. Let me know if you can't find it.

The URL he tells you to enter in the video has changed. It took me an hour to figure that out. the new URL is listed at the top of the description to the video, underneath where the video plays. Let me know if you can't find it.

It used to pop up in the video as well.....

• Advertisement

It used to pop up in the video as well.....
    It may well have, I could have missed it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement