Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Karen23 wrote: »
    So we ended up dumping this one we got from A Happy Deal. Brought it to a shop and they said the motherboard was shot, tried to send it back and An Post wouldn't accept it. They said customs would destroy it so we ended up buying this http://www.ebay.ie/itm/281373182325?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.

Arrived yesterday, so far so good.

this box good for sport ? my main use will be sky sports , like the look of this one ,

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

it's my first android box so can't compare, but what's the issue with sport? i stream HD sport with no issues at all (other than a slight pixellation during slow mos)

Can you pm me what you use to stream sports?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

How do you watch your sport on XBMC? I never get a great reception. What broadband speed do you have?

Cheers

my sports is fine on 3megabit on xbmc
    ,every channel and event going

you don't need superfast BB

there's an add-on to adjust the buffering
    -xunity maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

How do you watch your sport on XBMC? I never get a great reception. What broadband speed do you have?

Cheers

-xunity maintenance

more importantly (for me anyway), regardless of where you source your streams, it's worth setting up Acestream to watch them on, as the quality of the streams are excellent.

you don't need superfast BB. I used to have 10Mb and that was enough most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Rochey18 wrote: »
    I was also curious as to why the price difference between the m8 and 8x-h.

The x8-H has 16GB memory, also there is a hardware decoder installed on it....check on minix website for more details.....

http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEO-X8-H.html

http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/MINIX-NEO-X8.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

more importantly (for me anyway), regardless of where you source your streams, it's worth setting up Acestream to watch them on, as the quality of the streams are excellent.

you don't need superfast BB. I used to have 10Mb and that was enough most of the time.

Hi is Acestream an XMBC addon, or is it a website, you browse to

Thx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

-xunity maintenance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0kMgBZF6J8

Is that the fix for this ?

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi is Acestream an XMBC addon, or is it a website, you browse to

Thx

it's an add on. Basically streams usually show up as flash, veetle, sopcast, etc. Now certain streams come up as acestream. If you have the acestream player installed, you can use it to watch that particular stream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

more importantly (for me anyway)...it's worth setting up Acestream to watch them on, as the quality of the streams are excellent.

Will using acestream on an eMMC device not shorten the life span of the device?

it's an add on. Basically streams usually show up as flash, veetle, sopcast, etc. Now certain streams come up as acestream. If you have the acestream player installed, you can use it to watch that particular stream

I seen the doc on how to link in Acestream but does it make much difference? I have 120MB link with X8-H and still can have some issues buffering on HD but I found this to be the server was getting hammered...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

-xunity maintenance

The Xunity maintenance works, also setting the Cache to 0 can alleviate the problem, there's a few videos on Youtube outlining how to do this.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    I seen the doc on how to link in Acestream but does it make much difference? I have 120MB link with X8-H and still can have some issues buffering on HD but I found this to be the server was getting hammered...

probably not, but most flash streams etc are 175-350kbps, but the acestream ones are over 1000 so quality wise they are excellent, and seem to buffer less than say Sopcast. i seem to recall that acestream uses p2p technology so can source from multiple sites and therefore lessens the impact on the original server (could be way off though as am not a big tecchie).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

branners69 wrote: »
    Will using acestream on an eMMC device not shorten the life span of the device?

I seen this before, they say as Minix etc is eMMC it will start to create dead spots quicker on the eMMC. Option is to try and point acestream to external storage but this will cause performance issues I would guess and I haven't seen how you can do this

what button are you supposed to press when xbmc gets stuck "loading " a channel?

i've only got cheapo remote and yatse and i can't get out of it without stopping the xbmc app

do you need an "escape" button

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

what button are you supposed to press when xbmc gets stuck "loading " a channel?

i've only got cheapo remote and yatse and i can't get out of it without stopping the xbmc app

Happens on mine a bit and the only way seems to be reboot. Sometimes the backup button works other times not

I usually pull up the menu on bottom of android box to allow me to minimize the app, then close it out and reload.

Sometimes it just seems to get stuck in a loop, if you wait long enough it will kick out of it but I am a busy man so I close it out....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm looking for help selecting the right box for a bedroom TV which will be used primarily for 3 things:-

1) Streaming box sets etc from a NAS via Wifi so it needs to have an excellent Wifi antenna

2) Watching US Netflix

3) Watching http://hd-streaming.tv via their Android App

I tried using a Chromecast but it's just too fiddly and doesn't play all the files I want it to. good cute idea but not a replacement for a proper media box.

I already have a Minix X7 and an X8-H on the two main TV's so I'm thinking I should probably get another X8-H and switch the X7 to the bedroom as I know it has excellent Wifi reception.

Any reason I shouldn't go with the above plan???

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

BenThere wrote: »
    I'm looking for help selecting the right box for a bedroom TV which will be used primarily for 3 things:-

1) Streaming box sets etc from a NAS via Wifi so it needs to have an excellent Wifi antenna

2) Watching US Netflix

3) Watching http://hd-streaming.tv via their Android App

I tried using a Chromecast but it's just too fiddly and doesn't play all the files I want it to. good cute idea but not a replacement for a proper media box.

I already have a Minix X7 and an X8-H on the two main TV's so I'm thinking I should probably get another X8-H and switch the X7 to the bedroom as I know it has excellent Wifi reception.

Any reason I shouldn't go with the above plan???

Ben

I'm a fan of the Minix so that plan seems good.
    That hd-streaming.tv seems interesting. Can't find the Android app. Is there a link for that?

Another option you might want to check is Plex. If you have a PC that can act as a server you can share your Plex library from your NAS to anywhere. It's not free but it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

thanks timetogo, the HD-streaming app is only available if you subscribe to one of the services which use HD-streaming as a platform for their services. HD-streaming is a B2B, it just hosts the streaming service for whoever is selling to the end customer.

Ben

• Advertisement

anyone know how to stop when xbmc gets stuck on " loading" or "working" on a stream?

the esc,back or none of the buttons will get out of it

thanks

anyone know how to stop when xbmc gets stuck on " loading" or "working" on a stream?

the esc,back or none of the buttons will get out of it

thanks

Look about 4 posts back:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can anyone recommend a good cheap box?It wont get huge use as I have a sky sub but looking to buy a box .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

yabadabado wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good cheap box?It wont get huge use as I have a sky sub but looking to buy a box .

The MK808B is still the best of the cheap boxes IMO, very reliable, there's been huge threads about it here and on Bargain Alerts in the past. The price has never really dropped on it but it's still good value for what you get. You've to decide if it will suit your needs, it will struggle with HD playback, there's no Ethernet or the type of connectivity you get from more expensive boxes. You can add Ethernet and USB adaptors of course but then you're just getting up to the prices of other boxes with them already built in. But if cheap is what you want, you won't go wrong with that and a $5 wireless mouse from Geekbuying, might be cheaper to pay in dollars and let your CC do the conversion:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-RK3066-Cortex-A9-1GB-RAM-8GB-ROM-Mini-PC-TV-Box---Black-313213.html

Blade wrote: »
    The MK808B is still the best of the cheap boxes IMO, very reliable, there's been huge threads about it here and on Bargain Alerts in the past. The price has never really dropped on it but it's still good value for what you get. You've to decide if it will suit your needs, it will struggle with HD playback, there's no Ethernet or the type of connectivity you get from more expensive boxes. You can add Ethernet and USB adaptors of course but then you're just getting up to the prices of other boxes with them already built in. But if cheap is what you want, you won't go wrong with that and a $5 wireless mouse from Geekbuying, might be cheaper to pay in dollars and let your CC do the conversion:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808B-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-RK3066-Cortex-A9-1GB-RAM-8GB-ROM-Mini-PC-TV-Box---Black-313213.html
    I think its as well to go for HD plyback and I would want Ethernet connectivity.I would rather spend the extra cash now than have to spend down the line.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think its as well to go for HD plyback and I would want Ethernet connectivity.I would rather spend the extra cash now than have to spend down the line.

Depends on budget but you cant go far wrogn with below. Quad core but running the T processor. Can handle HD ok, I bought this and had since Jan, worked perfect for me but have recently upgraded to Minix.

Runs 4.2 Android but do a search and wasser firmware which is great available to flash the box and works even better.....but again depends on budget

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Depends on budget but you cant go far wrogn with below. Quad core but running the T processor. Can handle HD ok, I bought this and had since Jan, worked perfect for me but have recently upgraded to Minix.

Runs 4.2 Android but do a search and wasser firmware which is great available to flash the box and works even better.....but again depends on budget

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-R42-Quad-Core-Google-Android-4-2-2-RK3188-28nm-Cortex-A9-1-6-GHz-Mini-TV-BOX-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-BT-RJ45-External-Wifi-Antenna-with-IR-Remote-Controller-Black-317424.html
    I think I'm going to stretch the budget and get the Neo X8-H.I have been looking at several boxes the last few days from €50 up to €100 but for €150 I reckon the Neo will be the best in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

When I get into xbmc via my droidbox lately a different skin is coming up , with karaoke etc .. Before when I logged into xbmc the page would open with live TV/ sports etc. anyone know how I can get it back to that as I want to watch sports not sing karaoke !!!!!

Hey

Just wondering has anyone heard anything about these boxes? http://promotion.geekbuying.com/promotion/tronsmart_rk3288_mini_pc_release

Wonder how they compare to the Mnix X8-H?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭randombar

Added this one up on Bargain Alerts Amazon Fire TV

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement