Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Anyone here have backed up Kodi (xbmc) and restored? I am looking to change my android box and I would like to back up all the addons plus config and restore back on other device. Anyone any experience?

There are a few different ways to backup, one of these should do it.
    https://github.com/robweber/xbmcbackup
    http://www.trevorayers.com/backup-restore-xbmc-kodi-xbmc-backup-add/

EDIT

http://apkfreak.com/apkfreak-apps-2/ - Not sure if that's still supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone here have backed up Kodi (xbmc) and restored? I am looking to change my android box and I would like to back up all the addons plus config and restore back on other device. Anyone any experience?

See back a few posts, I found a way via backing up folder onto SD, then restoring onto new box. Keeps all your settings.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you copy your User data and Add on folder to a stick then put them in your new set up it should work.

dahat wrote: »
    If you copy your User data and Add on folder to a stick then put them in your new set up it should work.

Must try that when moving from MK808B to X8-H, I use XBMC for Minix on the X8 box and standard Kodi on the rest

Hey Guys

A mate sent me details of the Tronsmart Orion R28 MEta, not going to link...

In terms of spec the box looks great, also it is in Spain so no import tax. Just wondering from firmware point of view? I think some of you guys have said before Tronsmart are very good at firmware? has OTA support as well, I guess this works?

I am thinking about buying to replace the Minix X8-H in main room and putting the X8 into the kids play room.....

Does tronsmart have its own version of Kodi like Minix?

Just checking if any issues??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

I have a Tronsmart A928 box (bought around a year back). It came pre-rooted and XBMC installed (xbmc was part of firmware). Not sure if the XBMC version was specific to the box. Although I uninstalled it and have the latest version Kodi 14.2 Helix running without any issue. Never had any problem with the box as such.

They do say OTA support but they are notorious for not releasing any updated firmware. OTA was one of the reason I bought that box but they did not release any new firmware. Although there was a Finless firmware. Having said that there's no issue at all (4.2) with the current firmware that it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hi guys, looking for some advice.

I want to buy one of these boxes to run Kodi, Netflix etc. I'll be streaming 3D and 4k content and want a box that will be able to handle same without issues.

I've taken a look through parts of the thread but I'm just looking for a recommendation to the best one to get. I don't want to spend a tonne but can someone give me a few recommendations?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

There's a back up add-on in the Kodi add-ons.Just look in programs/add ons/get more.

After fiddling with a couple of others,I found this the simplest to use.Pick the path you want (external storage) hit OK and then backup.

You need the add-on enabled on any other box you have to allow you to restore your saved data to said box.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Backup

zerks wrote: »
    There's a back up add-on in the Kodi add-ons.Just look in programs/add ons/get more.

After fiddling with a couple of others,I found this the simplest to use.Pick the path you want (external storage) hit OK and then backup.

You need the add-on enabled on any other box you have to allow you to restore your saved data to said box.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Backup

Works well but the issue I had with it is that it doesn't back up the skin, so if you make a specific skin you need to start off again....

^^ I tried few suggestions from Allyall, dahat, zerks.....

Most of them worked. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Actually 'dahat' suggestion to move User data and Add on folders work just fine. You will have your specific skin and all the customizations.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the same as extracting the compressed file.
    I forgot to mention, that matic apk, it says "Completed", but there's a blue line moving slowly in the background across the screen.
    It's not actually finished until that reaches the other side.

Also, @ DrVibe, the executable will format your SD card, write Openelec to it, and the custom version will add the build. So you can dual boot.
    It just saves you having to do it manually, if you're unsure how to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is anyone using the Tronsmart Orion R28 at the moment? Ordered one today after reading some positive reviews. Will mainly be using it for sports streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Glad I backed up Kodi now,switched on the box to watch something and everything is erased and it's informing me storage is full.........ffffuuuucccckkk.

ANyone have issues with the MK808B? I ordered in a few, mostly for family, so far have managed to set them up but a couple of days later they have stopped working. Nothing comes on, not even the blue light to show power is on. Looks like burned out.....any idea's?

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with the MK808B? I ordered in a few, mostly for family, so far have managed to set them up but a couple of days later they have stopped working. Nothing comes on, not even the blue light to show power is on. Looks like burned out.....any idea's?

MK808B Plus?

Have you tried a different power source?

Allyall wrote: »
    MK808B Plus?

Have you tried a different power source?

Yeah the Plus, had a few because I got 5 for family, there is 2 of the 5 that wont work, other power supplies dont help....just found it strange..

Try powering it from OTG and PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Burkie7 wrote: »
    there not a bad box once you flash them with openelec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

massy086 wrote: »
    there not a bad box once you flash them with openelec

Sorry a bit clueless with this stuff do you have a tutorial on it and what it does?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 blewkup

im new to these boxes and bought a fully loaded mxIII and its great but everytime i play something it always says i need to clear out the cache, and im not should how to do this, and is there a addon that will auto do this ? thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

blewkup wrote: »
    im new to these boxes and bought a fully loaded mxIII and its great but everytime i play something it always says i need to clear out the cache, and im not should how to do this, and is there a addon that will auto do this ? thank you

Xunity Maintenance then clear cache, delete packages and crash logs then this should help. It will still be manual but if you are used to adding sub menus then these steps can be added.

Anyone know of anyone repairing these type of boxes around Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭C0MM0D0RE64

Im interested in hearing opinions about a dual win/droid boot device too

Anyone here have one? Would love and all in one instead of multiple devices under the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Im interested in hearing opinions about a dual win/droid boot device too

Anyone here have one? Would love and all in one instead of multiple devices under the tv.

Would have to pass the wife/kids test for me :( Sounds good in principle but just going to a boot screen is probably a bridge too far for some.

The new Pipo X7s is already delayed so I wouldn't even go there unless you are prepared for a VERY long wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

degsie wrote: »
    Would have to pass the wife/kids test for me :( Sounds good in principle but just going to a boot screen is probably a bridge too far for some.

The new Pipo X7s is already delayed so I wouldn't even go there unless you are prepared for a VERY long wait.

???

I have the Pipo running with two months?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

???

I have the Pipo running with two months?

The dual boot one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Has anyone tried one of these lads?
    http://www.mi.com/en/mibox/

On the plus side, Its from Xiaomi, and I'd be interested to see where they're going with TVboxes.
    On the negative side, although it has a similar CPU/GPU as the Minix 8h, its fairly limited memory wise, at 1GRAM and 4G ROM, can take a 64g SD card though.
    Price wise its about $70/80 from the usual sources.

Their TV actually has the box built in, I'm wondering if it would be difficult to put KODI on it though.

http://www.mi.com/en/mitv/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Anyone know of anyone repairing these type of boxes around Dublin?

What is wrong with it ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement