Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

zerks wrote: »

Was looking at the Asus chromebox too which is along the lines to this. Great specs but not sure if they're any better than android boxes. I'll have to look into these a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Was looking at the Asus chromebox too which is along the lines to this. Great specs but not sure if they're any better than android boxes. I'll have to look into these a bit more.
    i have the asus chromebox.and i can tell you there.s not a android box that could touch it.if you can buy in the us its a bargain .i got min for 110 dollars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

massy086 wrote: »
    i have the asus chromebox.and i can tell you there.s not a android box that could touch it.if you can buy in the us its a bargain .i got min for 110 dollars.:)

agreed. only problem is it cant do capitals! bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I've had the ATV2 for years now and am considering investing in a second box. At the moment I'm considering the Minix Neo Z64 Android or the Minix Neo X8 Plus. The X8 supports 4k but the Z64 doesn't or am I wrong in that? What would people's preference be in those 2 boxes and should I be considering any others? Probably won't be buying straight away as I'm waiting until I move house.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭robbe

L'prof wrote: »
    I've had the ATV2 for years now and am considering investing in a second box. At the moment I'm considering the Minix Neo Z64 Android or the Minix Neo X8 Plus. The X8 supports 4k but the Z64 doesn't or am I wrong in that? What would people's preference be in those 2 boxes and should I be considering any others? Probably won't be buying straight away as I'm waiting until I move house.

Had atv2 myself, for me amazon firetv all the way, have 2 now and find them great, xbmc easy to set up, no root needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Anything around december last year, tell me which version is on box....

"Build number KOT49H 20141122 release-keys".

Literally just turned it on, but so far, so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8GB-RAM-128GB-HDD-fanless-core-i5-4200U-dual-mini-pc-4-USB-3-0-ports/32286641294.html

OS not licensed, coming from China, not heard of the brand but I'm still tempted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

corwill wrote: »
    "Build number KOT49H 20141122 release-keys".

Literally just turned it on, but so far, so good!

Ok, you are on version before they put on the OTA update tool....

I would fire on this firmware before you go much further, thsi will allow you to upadte the firmware on the box using the update tool which means it is very easy

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/

I would also stick on this version of XBMC before you start to build

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/v13-3-3-final.4044/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Ok, you are on version before they put on the OTA update tool....

I would fire on this firmware before you go much further, thsi will allow you to upadte the firmware on the box using the update tool which means it is very easy

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/official-002a-firmware.2413/

I would also stick on this version of XBMC before you start to build

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/v13-3-3-final.4044/

That's a great steer, thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/8GB-RAM-128GB-HDD-fanless-core-i5-4200U-dual-mini-pc-4-USB-3-0-ports/32286641294.html

OS not licensed, coming from China, not heard of the brand but I'm still tempted

Don't know about the item itself, but don't forget to allow another 100-120 for vat when it does come in to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

http://www.adverts.ie/7564252

Lads what are these like.

Read my comments there.Just got a nice shiny xbox one.Currently running my old eeepc box through it via the hdmi passthrough for xbmc.Problem is xb1 upscales resolution to 1080p even if you try to over ride it.My old reliable eee box just isn't able for full hd (it'll do 720p with no issues)

Was going to go down the road of an android box.Used an MK808b in the spare room in the past and that was grand.

So if anyone can recommend me a decent one I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

Some m8 have 1gb ram and sellers advertise them with having 2gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

Any thoughts on this?

Looking at one of these myself or the Asus chromebox. Leaning more to the chromebox as I would be to sure of the build quality of these.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Factory reset hasn't helped with XMBC.

Settings - Apps - uninstall, maybe?
    Allyall wrote: »

Yes, and try a different build of XBMC. This one (Gotham 13.2 is decent on some Amlogic) - Gotham 13.2

Installed Kodi, if that helps. Are there any Irish add ons?

In terms of apps, I find the RTE ones a bit grouchy. Was trying to watch the news earlier - the Player wasn't very stable and then through RTE News Now it seemed to just exit when I tried to maximise the screen. Might drop RTE an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Hellrazer wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/7564252

Lads what are these like.

Read my comments there.Just got a nice shiny xbox one.Currently running my old eeepc box through it via the hdmi passthrough for xbmc.Problem is xb1 upscales resolution to 1080p even if you try to over ride it.My old reliable eee box just isn't able for full hd (it'll do 720p with no issues)

Was going to go down the road of an android box.Used an MK808b in the spare room in the past and that was grand.

So if anyone can recommend me a decent one I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

I'd look a little more..
    If not fancying the wait from abroad/risk of customs, or just wanting to buy from Ireland/Europe, there should be boxes around the same price that would be better.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I'd look a little more..
    If not fancying the wait from abroad/risk of customs, or just wanting to buy from Ireland/Europe, there should be boxes around the same price that would be better.

Can you recommend a decent one??

For the price, maybe I'd go for a version of the S82/2GB MXIII. I know it doesn't natively support H.265, but XBMC/KODI seems to have been able to make that possible on most Amlogic (Using Software decoding)

I don't know what price you'd get them in Ireland, but their price should roughly match - between €65 - €85
    Beelink S82
    MXIII 2GB
    Tronsmart Vega S89

But, as you mentioned the MK808B.

The MK808B Plus, can be found as little as €22 delivered, using a coupon code, and with exchange rate US$ - Euro being favourable.
    It has S805 chipset (Can decode H.265), and XBMC/Kodi - unofficial OpenELEC images/Roms from Codesnake. More info may be available in This Thread.

Those mentioned, are fairly popular, meaning there should be plenty of roms/support for quite a while.

MX should also be mentioned, as it has great firmware. But it means going over old ground again.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭jackdalad23

I got a Minix Neo X8 from Fasttech. Think it was 169 dollars. Absolutely love it. Super quick and comes with XBMC preloaded and a gyromouse in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

I have a minix neo, very happy with it. however I have lost the power supply for it. can anyone recommend where I could get a replacement one???

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

I have a minix neo, very happy with it. however I have lost the power supply for it. can anyone recommend where I could get a replacement one???

thanks

I dont know where to get one but be very careful, I blew my first Neo 8 by using the power supply which came with my Neo 7!

• Advertisement

I originally got a Minix Neo X7 from fasttech and I did blow the supply. i sent it back stating there was a problem with the motherboard and they sent me the replacement X8. i paid the difference of 25 dollars but they're pretty good to deal with apart from the long delivery times

There's a guy on Done Deal from Waterford city who might be able to sort you out with a power supply. Phillip I think the dealers name is . nice fella. look him up on Done Deal. Just search Minix and keep a look out for a Phillip in Waterford

I should say that some of the main reasons (apart from being tired and 3am :)) I pointed at those three, is because they are near identical, and can use the same firmware, have very large communities, and tons of builds.
    Any problems should have a fairly quick fix, and for quite a while.

There are other boxes that could have been also added. I was mainly thinking of community/support and life expectancy with price, and they also covered a few boxes in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

They are junk.the have a lot of overheating and knocking off issue.s

Are these the same as the T-R42?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Folks I have an MXIII 1 gig and want to stick openelec on it. Can anyone point me in the direction of the files that will work to flash it? Have people done it already without any issues? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pauleoin

degsie wrote: »
    This seems to be the business. Comes with XBMC pre-installed.

20% off this box today only 19/3 use code WETEKGIFT at checkout.

https://wetek.com/product/wetek-play

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

pauleoin wrote: »
    20% off this box today only 19/3 use code WETEKGIFT at checkout.

https://wetek.com/product/wetek-play

Isnt the spec on this poor though, its dual core and 1gb of ram

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Isnt the spec on this poor though, its dual core and 1gb of ram

Its a certified box for OpenELEC with good firmware on it. You don't need massive spec if running OpenELEC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement