Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

My father has one if these boxes and last few tines he has been watching a match the stream will stop and he can't get it back going. Sometimes utbsays 'plot unavailable' . Any idea what causes this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was wondering does anyone know if local shops supply the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Ethernet-Adapter-RJ45-MK808B-RK3066-Laptop-Tablet-Android-Dongle-XBMC-/161122420600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2583a50778

PC World etc or any local shops? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Was wondering does anyone know if local shops supply the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-to-Ethernet-Adapter-RJ45-MK808B-RK3066-Laptop-Tablet-Android-Dongle-XBMC-/161122420600?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2583a50778

PC World etc or any local shops? Thanks

Maplin and Currys have USB to Ethernet adapters

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blass

will56 wrote: »
    Maplin and Currys have USB to Ethernet adapters
    Probably vastly overpriced though. Much cheaper to order online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

Which is the better box, MX3 or MXQ? Both look to have the same spec and are around the same price.

• Advertisement

blass wrote: »

I agree but he asked for B&M shops

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

statto25 wrote: »
    Which is the better box, MX3 or MXQ? Both look to have the same spec and are around the same price.

Mx3 assuming it's the 2gb version.

blass wrote: »

I am aware of that, need a shop here locally as for a mate who doesn't want to order online and I can't be bothered waiting for 4 weeks.....

statto25 wrote: »

MXQ from memory has H.265 support.

There is a 1GB and 2GB MX3 so depends on which version you are talking about as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭statto25

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Mx3 assuming it's the 2gb version.

And there is the difference I didn't spot. Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Part of me wishes I thought of it first :)
    Adverts/DoneDeal etc are all flooded now with ads for these boxes with "custom software" thats taken "teams of people many hours to perfect"

The custom software is free community builds that users spent a lot of time into perfecting, who make nothing from it, they just stick there logo on the wallpaper then.

My OH friend was telling me about this brilliant box she paid €150 that everything on it. It was an MXQ with the tv addons installer installed on it. Daylight robbery.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Have the X8H myself since launch and find it superb. Just bit the bullet on this Amazon Cheapo. Will come in at under 60€, fulfilled by Amazon so no shipping costs.

rob316 wrote: »
    The custom software is free community builds that users spent a lot of time into perfecting, who make nothing from it, they just stick there logo on the wallpaper then.

My OH friend was telling me about this brilliant box she paid €150 that everything on it. It was an MXQ with the tv addons installer installed on it. Daylight robbery.:mad:

I've heard similar where I work. People get sucked in by the sale pitch without doing any research of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

dodzy wrote: »
    Have the X8H myself since launch and find it superb. Just bit the bullet on this Amazon Cheapo. Will come in at under 60€, fulfilled by Amazon so no shipping costs.

Let me know how that one works out,be curious to see if XMBC/KODI and netflix run smoothly on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Invincible

cathorio wrote: »
    The best one on the market has to be the Walker Box...
    Quad Core!!!!

Quad-core is the norm now, Octo-core is available. Haven't heard anything about Walker boxes, but Amazon Fire TV are getting good reviews since USB usage was enabled on them, £64 last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭dahat

That's a rebadged MXQ I'd say, should be fine and Open Elec can be put on those boxes.

Invincible wrote: »
    Quad-core is the norm now, Octo-core is available. Haven't heard anything about Walker boxes, but Amazon Fire TV are getting good reviews since USB usage was enabled on them, £64 last I checked.

have they allowed the fire to link XBMC/Kodi on main page?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭branners69

I have an X8H too so would appreciate a quick review of your budget one in comparison (when you get a chance!). Especially as it says H.265 support!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How fast is shipping on this?

I've bought a few Sumvision boxes from 7Dayshop in the UK,about £46.Grand little box even if the remote is minimalistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

rejkin wrote: »
    Let me know how that one works out,be curious to see if XMBC/KODI and netflix run smoothly on it.

Yep, its purely for a tinkering / evaluation exercise so i'll post back. Trying to find the cheapest functional box out there as a few colleagues have put their orders in but I don't want them going down the Minix road if they don't have to. Watch this space ;)

• Advertisement

I agree but he asked for B&M shops
    fair point :)

I am not sure but I think you can install a version of openelec on that box for an even better XBMC/KODI experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭jimosterberg

Put openelec on an mxq and the ok button on the remote then wouldn't work. Has this happened to anyone before?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Big Nelly wrote: »
    have they allowed the fire to link XBMC/Kodi on main page?

Not directly but there's an easy workaround.

degsie wrote: »
    Not directly but there's an easy workaround.

Yes I used it before, didnt like it. They where supposed to open it up to allow you to link applications to main pages

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Complete novice to these boxs a friend of mine recommend I get one

got a new tv and would like to know the best model / price and where to buy?

do i need to buy anything else with it?

Will be for sport, tv shows and movies

any help would be excellent

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

pittsburgh wrote: »
    Complete novice to these boxs a friend of mine recommend I get one

got a new tv and would like to know the best model / price and where to buy?

do i need to buy anything else with it?

Will be for sport, tv shows and movies

any help would be excellent

regards

Minix X8, great box, you will need to update firmware on it to get the most out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Yellowledbetter

k123456 wrote: »
    Minix X8, great box, you will need to update firmware on it to get the most out of it

I got the X8 myself a few weeks back,is there much to updating the firmware?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭pittsburgh

Thanks for for reply

I've heard this or the mx3 are the way too go?

Could you direct me to the best place to purchase a box and how much would one roughly cost

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/official-firmware-releases.68/

FW 2 is the key update , very easy to update, see link above

there are minor updates 3 and 4 (imminent), but you really need to be on 2 minimum, to get the most out of your minix

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement