Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Going to be getting the Minix Neo X8-H Plus this week hopefully.

Nice one, I got mine in early Jan, can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Nice one, I got mine in early Jan, can't fault it.

Seems to be the best one around.

Paying 170 for it with a good remote how much you pay mate?

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Seems to be the best one around.

Paying 170 for it with a good remote how much you pay mate?

Well, I ordered mine in Nov off the site we cant mention, with the exchange at the time it was €113, I got caught for customs though, so that was strangely another €26, whereas I expected it to be around €35.
    So all in €139
    I also bought an A2 keyboard and mouse to go with it, that was €22.
    The A2 is good for when you need a keyboard, entering links etc, most of the time the M1 that comes with it is grand for general usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Might try the Nexus Player in a month or two to use as an Android device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 fitzy08

Can anyone recommend a really good box? Is it possible to have like a guide installed too so you can see whats on and when?
    New to all this but really want to get one.

Appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

Anyone any opinion on the following: http://goo.gl/brJiFP in summary for €110

Specification:

CPU: Amlogic S802 Quad Core up to 2.0GHz (Cortex-A9)
    GPU: Octa core ARM Mali-450 GPU up to 600MHz
    RAM: DDR3 2GB
    ROM: Onboard eMMC Flash 8GB
    Expand Memory: Micro SD Card (Maximum support 32GB)

worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ If you are lucky to escape customs then you may get it cheaper from Geekbuying
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MXIII-Amlogic-S802-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-Android-4-4-2-Mini-TV-Box-HDMI-HDD-Player-2G-8G-Built-in-XBMC-Dual-Band-2-4G-5G-WIFI-Bluetooth-Miracast-DLNA-330455.html

OK price from an Irish seller. Device is not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

For all the Minix users, is there a way to change the screen saver? I am getting sick of that kitten!!

Even if you cant change the screensaver, does anyone know if the images are located in a folder so you can change them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Just wondering is anyone has an idea. I was building Kodi last night, spent bloody ages on my test MK808B box setting up the skin exactly how I wanted it, even took some tips from wife to stop her giving out...

Anyway done a back up and tried to restore to other device. Didn't restore the skin at all.

Tried to restore on another 808B and same issue, I am wondering why it does this? the whole time is spent setting up the skin.

Any ideas how to backup/restore keeping the skin settings as well?

Even if lets say building on 808B for another, would it be better to do a full backup of the firmware and then restore that on other device? Just looking for ideas....skin perfect and on the test box

you try copying guisettings.xml & replacing the one that's there when you restore

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »
    For all the Minix users, is there a way to change the screen saver? I am getting sick of that kitten!!

Even if you cant change the screensaver, does anyone know if the images are located in a folder so you can change them?

I have to admit not having this problem ever, but from memory, if you go to the Minix launcher screen, click on settings, then Display, If I recall correctly there should be a couple of tick boxes at the bottom, one of which is something like don't start screensaver?

That should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

The USB port on the firetv is being opened up to use for external storage in the next update and the kodi icon can now be situated on the main screen. Great little box for Kodi imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

The USB port on the firetv is being opened up to use for external storage in the next update and the kodi icon can now be situated on the main screen. Great little box for Kodi imho.

Now that might be option, I liked the Fire TV, remote was very good...issue I had was the complicated way to install and link Kodi

Just checking on the Fire Tv, does any of the Amazon stuff work outside UK now>?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you try copying guisettings.xml & replacing the one that's there when you restore

Thanks

I found a way

Copy org.xbmc.xbmc to somewhere, remove XBMC, install new version, then copy back org.xbmc.xbmc

Worked great the first time I tried, next time it wouldn't add in some of the add on's so I manually had to add them back in but saves me a couple of hours rebuilding the skin each time

Also need to upgrade XBMC version on Minix so this means I dont have to reload everything:D

Now that might be option, I liked the Fire TV, remote was very good...issue I had was the complicated way to install and link Kodi

Just checking on the Fire Tv, does any of the Amazon stuff work outside UK now>?

Amazon prime stuff is locked down to UK, US and Germany I think. I never even looked at a VPN for them, no need with kodi. My only gripe was the flash memory was filling fast with all the thumbnails, that shouldn't be a problem now with a flash drive plugged in. I might even sideload a few emulators now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

They are also enabling bluetooth and improving screen mirroring. VLC app has also just been released. This thing just gets better and better.

degsie wrote: »
    They are also enabling bluetooth and improving screen mirroring. VLC app has also just been released. This thing just gets better and better.

Yea, I saw that too, the USB port was the big one for me. It's a great little box I have to say and I've owned a few. It just works, no messing with roms and flashing. Remote control is great also.

Amazon prime stuff is locked down to UK, US and Germany I think. I never even looked at a VPN for them, no need with kodi. My only gripe was the flash memory was filling fast with all the thumbnails, that shouldn't be a problem now with a flash drive plugged in. I might even sideload a few emulators now. :)

I seen a little video recently, XBMC/Kodi builds up with loads of crap from add on's updating. So every time you see on screen saying xyz add on is updating it saves files. It then keeps them so you end up filling up hard drive space with all of these files. There is option in maintenance to clear this, I done it other day and made kodi run way better, dont have box here with me at min but could be worth looking at....

Xunity Maintenace-- delete Cache,Packages and Crash logs.

I do this once a week and find it helps as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭Invincible

dahat wrote: »

It makes a great difference while watching Planet Earth, no buffering, just straight streaming :-)

• Advertisement

I have to admit not having this problem ever, but from memory, if you go to the Minix launcher screen, click on settings, then Display, If I recall correctly there should be a couple of tick boxes at the bottom, one of which is something like don't start screensaver?

That should do it.

But I want a screensaver. I am connecting to an old Pioneer plasma which can suffer from screen retention!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

dahat wrote: »

I'll give that one a go, thanks. Have you tried Mikey1234 advanced.xml file. Really made a difference with buffering too.

aaronm13 wrote: »
    I'll give that one a go, thanks. Have you tried Mikey1234 advanced.xml file. Really made a difference with buffering too.

Not yet as I have 0 set as default but will try it soon to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thanks

I found a way

Copy org.xbmc.xbmc to somewhere, remove XBMC, install new version, then copy back org.xbmc.xbmc

Worked great the first time I tried, next time it wouldn't add in some of the add on's so I manually had to add them back in but saves me a couple of hours rebuilding the skin each time

Also need to upgrade XBMC version on Minix so this means I dont have to reload everything:D

this is from sdcard/android/data right?
    do you know if you can leave that folder on your network & use it for different devices over the house

did you just try it twice, i wonder has it anything to do with whats stored in /data ? (root)

OpenElec

/storage/.kodi/Fonts (If the fonts folder doesn't exist create it)

This is from a blog from which I'm looking to change the system font on my Kodi but can't for the life of me figure out how to do the step above or if it is there already?

EDIT: Found the path so just gotta pick a font, looking forward to this, simple but makes a difference.

branners69 wrote: »
    But I want a screensaver. I am connecting to an old Pioneer plasma which can suffer from screen retention!

Main Menu/File explorer/Device/system/media/screensaver/images/​
    Doesn't seem like you can add new images into it, but at least you can delete that one you have.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    this is from sdcard/android/data right?
    do you know if you can leave that folder on your network & use it for different devices over the house

did you just try it twice, i wonder has it anything to do with whats stored in /data ? (root)

YEs from sdcard/android/data

I done it 6 times in total, was building a few MK808B boxes. I flashed the firmware and build kodi from base. Then copied the folder and done the other 5 boxes.

First 2 worked perfect. No issues. The last 3 didn't install the Addon installer and 2 of the add on's. So I just had to reinstall them. 2 min job once I figured out what the error was when I opened Kodi, I followed the same procedure for each so not sure why it didn't on the other 3, I was putting on some App's first which I link Kodi to so maybe this is what was affecting it

But it did keep all my other data, like it still had the TV Next aired shows correctly etc.....that was more or less perfect for me. Building the skin for each box takes about 1-2 hours as I like my own set up

Never thought of putting on NAS type box and booting from SAN. It might be useful as I have 3 boxes around the house and was going to invest in a NAS in the next few weeks....thanks

Main Menu/File explorer/Device/system/media/screensaver/images/​
    Doesn't seem like you can add new images into it, but at least you can delete that one you have.

I located the folder but couldnt do anything, including deleting the damn cat!!

It looks like I need to be rooted to make the changes I would want! Would it be possible to connect the x8 to my laptop and access the folders that way?

If not I believe Kodi has a sreensaver so I will look into that.

Thanks for the help.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=zb8XVZu9Ouia7AbkroCABA&url=https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-change-fonts-in-kodi-xbmc/&ved=0CB4QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHy0cvdVU-7lmwLbIWNnRzgMCqRPw&sig2=6zNoTy81ltQpDDhC7Pfpjw

I used this guide yesterday to change the skin font, was a bit nervy as I never changed XML files before but it was straightforward really.

Top font is the new font, love the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Anyone here have backed up Kodi (xbmc) and restored? I am looking to change my android box and I would like to back up all the addons plus config and restore back on other device. Anyone any experience?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement