Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LDLQXG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Guys I have this running on tracker, best price I have seen it selling for based on tracker....

http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Logitech-Wireless-Touch-Keyboard-K400/product/B005LDLQXG

Bought one myself this morning, seems to be limited offer, gone in 13 hours

|Its just a pity the UKP v Euro is killing us

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Its a certified box for OpenELEC with good firmware on it. You don't need massive spec if running OpenELEC

Interesting. I cant get openelec on to my MX3 2gb so would this be a good alternative? It looks pretty sharp.

rob316 wrote: »
    Interesting. I cant get openelec on to my MX3 2gb so would this be a good alternative? It looks pretty sharp.

I am sticking OpenELEC onto all the 1GB boxes I have, the main reason is that is frees up loads of the memory on the box for XBMC/Kodi to use. So normally with Android the 1GB box might have some issues around cache but fire OpenELEC onto it and then you have no issues.....

As mentioned before the disadvantage of OpenELEC is that it will onluy run Kodi/XBMC. Nothing else. So in android you have options to install loads of apps, this is not possible on OpenELEC. The box boots straight into Kodi, so you dont get to a desktop or anything like that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,997 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I am sticking OpenELEC onto all the 1GB boxes I have, the main reason is that is frees up loads of the memory on the box for XBMC/Kodi to use. So normally with Android the 1GB box might have some issues around cache but fire OpenELEC onto it and then you have no issues.....

As mentioned before the disadvantage of OpenELEC is that it will onluy run Kodi/XBMC. Nothing else. So in android you have options to install loads of apps, this is not possible on OpenELEC. The box boots straight into Kodi, so you dont get to a desktop or anything like that

All I use is Kodi and an android based VPN but I can get an openelec VPN instead or dns service.

rob316 wrote: »
    All I use is Kodi and an android based VPN but I can get an openelec VPN instead or dns service.

I dont use a VPN at the moment so sorry I cant comment on that

I have seen somewhere that there is inbuild services for Kodi but I dont use so cant comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I dont use a VPN at the moment so sorry I cant comment on that

I have seen somewhere that there is inbuild services for Kodi but I dont use so cant comment

There's a private internet access addon that works on Openelec

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

There's a private internet access addon that works on Openelec

Its in Metal kettles repo.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Could somebody point me in the right direction for firmware for mxiii 1GB please. It's stuck on load screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Want to put openelec on an mxq. Can I just put the MXQ.arm-5.03.zip file over the firmware on the box using the toothpick method? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭colcatscar

Anyone know where I can get a 3 pin plug for an MXiii? Those lovely folks at Gearbest sent me out a replacement Mxiii after my last one got fried, despite the fact that I looked for a refund. (They blamed their New Year break on the mix up)Don't want to use the two pin plug and adapter that came with it as it was a fault with this that fried my last box.

• Advertisement

Want to put openelec on an mxq. Can I just put the MXQ.arm-5.03.zip file over the firmware on the box using the toothpick method? Thanks

Yes, that method will work just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Anyone using this remote control

I need it for a cheap stick that didnt come with a remote,its for a bedroom and wont be used much,is it OK?
    I am sort of looking for the cheapest decent option and dont wanna use a keyboard/mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭Invincible

yabadabado wrote: »

I need it for a cheap stick that didnt come with a remote,its for a bedroom and wont be used much,is it OK?
    I am sort of looking for the cheapest decent option and dont wanna use a keyboard/mouse.

Your link isn't opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Invincible wrote: »
    Your link isn't opening.

It is for me.

201410601442161buy4nhi7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

yabadabado wrote: »

That looks fine, it will do the job.

However I will recommend this:
    http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MeLE-F10-Deluxe-2-4GHz-Wireless-Fly-Air-Mouse-Keyboard-Game-Controller-6-Axial-Gyro-IR-Learning-for-Android-PC-TV-Box-338661.html

Putting some wallpapers in as backgrounds on my Aeon Nox build but having issues with picture size as the top gets cut off.

I downloaded them as 1920x 1080 HD pics and my Open Elec is set to 1920x1080 as well. The TV is a 40inch Sony Bravia.

Totally bamboozled as to why they are sitting correctly.

Anyone able to help? Really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know how easy it is to back up my tv set-up to work on Kodi on my phone?

Very easy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYu6ncLiW0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Can you do this even though the hardware would be very different on a phone as compared to a TV box ?

eamonnq wrote: »
    Can you do this even though the hardware would be very different on a phone as compared to a TV box ?

Kodi is Kodi surely? That's what your backing up.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Kodi is Kodi surely? That's what your backing up.

Yes, I have backed up from loads of different android devices and restores to others with no issues...

Even backed up from different version of kodi and reinstall on newer versions

My new task is to try and restore after building on windows...

But do you think you could back up a PC install of Kodi and put it on an Android box or a phone, or vice versa ?

I don't actually know the answer but I would be surprised if it was that simple.

Edit: Apparently you can (thanks Nelly).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

I have a Minix X-8h and ever since I updated to the latest firmware, I am having a lot of issues connecting to the internet. I have tried both ethernet and wifi and while it tells me that it is connected, it obviously isn't as nothing works. Is anyone else having a similar problem? Is there any fix?

Also, where do I find out what firmware an MXIII is running? How do I update it, if necessary? The box I have is currently having a lot of problems with XBMC crashing.

As always, all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks. :)

Yes, I have backed up from loads of different android devices and restores to others with no issues...

Even backed up from different version of kodi and reinstall on newer versions

My new task is to try and restore after building on windows...

Think you just drop your build into the appdata folder after a fresh install, delete what's in there and drop your backed up file in.

Making images as defaults within a skin is what I want to do so I can transfer the build to d9fferent devices. You have to tinker with code and not sure I'm ready to try that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

It is a pity you cant store your appdata and settings on a remote server. I have 4 devices with Kodi on them and it would be handy if I added a TV prog to my favourites that it would be added for all 4 devices!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

branners69 wrote: »
    It is a pity you cant store your appdata and settings on a remote server. I have 4 devices with Kodi on them and it would be handy if I added a TV prog to my favourites that it would be added for all 4 devices!

You can use dropbox for this, just login via the backup app, it take a bit of setting up but it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

dahat wrote: »
    Think you just drop your build into the appdata folder after a fresh install, delete what's in there and drop your backed up file in.

Making images as defaults within a skin is what I want to do so I can transfer the build to d9fferent devices. You have to tinker with code and not sure I'm ready to try that yet.

Have your tried copying your guisettings & favourites between the devices your backing up?

Just wondering is anyone has an idea. I was building Kodi last night, spent bloody ages on my test MK808B box setting up the skin exactly how I wanted it, even took some tips from wife to stop her giving out...

Anyway done a back up and tried to restore to other device. Didn't restore the skin at all.

Tried to restore on another 808B and same issue, I am wondering why it does this? the whole time is spent setting up the skin.

Any ideas how to backup/restore keeping the skin settings as well?

Even if lets say building on 808B for another, would it be better to do a full backup of the firmware and then restore that on other device? Just looking for ideas....skin perfect and on the test box

Even if lets say building on 808B for another, would it be better to do a full backup of the firmware and then restore that on other device? Just looking for ideas....skin perfect and on the test box

Nice sig, is it new?? :confused:

"Any and all posts made by this user are strictly not his own personal viewpoint, and do represent many commercial entities and corporate bodies."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Going to be getting the Minix Neo X8-H Plus this week hopefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement