Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

But what about supporting local Irish businesses, lol.

What do you mean,I don't get the humor behind your post.Lots of Irish Businesses sell through eBay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rafa05

But what about supporting local Irish businesses, lol.

Yeah if the boxes are from ebay ireland sellers or irish sellers at the same price i can get from ebayuk i will buy

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

If you port over to openelec can you go back to android or are you stuck with openelec?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

If you port over to openelec can you go back to android or are you stuck with openelec?

you can port back. I done it recently

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Burkie7

Going to finally get one of these next week. Can anyone recommend the best one going at the moment or one of the best ones?

Be better if it's already pre loaded.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Burkie7 wrote: »
    Going to finally get one of these next week. Can anyone recommend the best one going at the moment or one of the best ones?

Thanks.

I bought his recently
    Does it all for me so far.

Got it sent through PM an dhad it in 2 days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX-3-III-4K-Quad-Core-5GHz-Dual-WIFI-Android-KitKat-XBMC-TV-Box-HDMI-Full-Loaded-/161450942213?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259739df05

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks.

Minix x8h plus is widely regarded as top of the range, check Chinese, Amazon and local sellers. When ordering from China remember you could add up to 40€ for customs and wait 4 weeks. Often buying locally or from Amazon is preferable

Minix x8h plus is widely regarded as top of the range, check Chinese, Amazon and local sellers. When ordering from China remember you could add up to 40€ for customs and wait 4 weeks. Often buying locally or from Amazon is preferable

Thanks mate I'm going to go with that one I might buy it from a shop on adverts so it's pre loaded and I have after care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

If buying you or the vendor should update FW to 002, much better perform

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/official-firmware-releases.68/

• Advertisement

k123456 wrote: »
    If buying you or the vendor should update FW to 002, much better perform

http://www.minixforum.com/forums/official-firmware-releases.68/

Thanks I'll ask him can he do it.

If not is it easy enough to do?

Thanks I'll ask him can he do it.

If not is it easy enough to do?

Easy enuf , instructions on the link I sent, takes 5 mins

Basically you copy two files to USB stick, then go into the Gui, you will see an update icon

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

k123456 wrote: »
    Easy enuf , instructions on the link I sent, takes 5 mins

Basically you copy two files to USB stick, then go into the Gui, you will see an update icon

And then setup Kodi etc??

What is the latest / Best FW to suit a MX3 2gb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭batistuta9

android, 2GB RAM
    what advanced network settings are people using?

Their is a fella who is selling the box that I'm buying off adverts and he is saying monthly subscription off 5 euro a month for sports channels in HD is optional is it easy to find HD channels so I don't have to get that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Their is a fella who is selling the box that I'm buying off adverts and he is saying monthly subscription off 5 euro a month for sports channels in HD is optional is it easy to find HD channels so I don't have to get that?

Personally, I wouldn't ever pay a subscription to anyone for that type of content, there isn't anyone out there who can gaurantee you that type of service. It may work for a bit, but if/when it goes, you'll have no recourse.

Personally, I wouldn't ever pay a subscription to anyone for that type of content, there isn't anyone out there who can gaurantee you that type of service. It may work for a bit, but if/when it goes, you'll have no recourse.

Are you able to find HD Sport Channels on yours?

It's not the end of the world if I can't I only really watch United and I'll be a season ticket holder there next season so it's just for their away games and the big matches off the other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

I bought a Minix Neo X8-H from the guy running smartTVBox.ie and it has been a very reliable media box so far. He is an official reseller. I haven't bothered updating the firmware yet, even though I have the thing nearly a year now and it's working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

There are plenty of subscriptions available, that will allow you sports, but they are less than €1 per month, one is a well known app.
    All the channels are available also on a Satellite TV app, that I am not sure of the legalities on it.. (Worldwide, it's legal in some Countries), but there has literally never been a blip or a buffer that I remember in over a year.
    (That's every TV channel incl HD channels for €14 per month).

The one that you saw is probably a similar one. As there are so many, one of the newer ones allows you to choose your channel list, and works out roughly $8 per month. (Which some months can be between €5 and €7 i think)
    The Th!ng wrote: »
    I bought a Minix Neo X8-H from the guy running SPAM and it has been a very reliable media box so far. He is an official reseller. I haven't bothered updating the firmware yet, even though I have the thing nearly a year now and it's working fine.

I have stopped myself writing about the Minix tons of times, because you have so many people being offended for no reason.
    The truth is, they are no better than the next box, and they are double the price.
    They seem to have got lucky with a few vocal posters on facebook/forums etc.. and resellers.
    Truth is, their firmware is always beta and buggy. Their hardware is the same as many others.
    Their support is terrible, they rely on other users to post in their forums, and most of their patches are also made by users.
    Many users are leaving them by the bucketload, at the same time many new users are joining them. Unfortunately, that means that many of the people that got p'd off with the x5 and x7 and early x8 are on their way out, and the support will mostly be down to newer users.

When spending that much money, you shouldn't be looking at unstable Android boxes at all. Unless you're looking at 'android' boxes that allow the installation of other OS's.

Sorry for the rant, but i've held back quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I run Open Elec on the M8 with two small sub's totally €12 pm for sports and a small selection of IPTV stuff of a few "normal" channels.

If Sky hadn't reduced my package to €19 pm I'd have cancelled as what I have for €12pm is enough to cord cut.

My MX3 runs both perfectly as well on OE which cost me €70 ish so I see no reason to spend €150 on a box to do the same job.

Just research a box, get the correct firmware and you will save yourself a lot of €€€€€€€.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,996 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still cannot get OpenElec to install on my MX3. Can anyone help, I've tried everything.

vectra wrote: »
    And then setup Kodi etc??

What is the latest / Best FW to suit a MX3 2gb ?

The FW includes XBMC /Kodi on its build, you will need to load any addons you use

Best FW to suit a MX3 2gb ,,,not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

Help please? I have an M8 box, We love it, movies are great, TV shows, etc. However 2 issues:
    1. when I watch sport it is terrible, so much so that I dont bother, its like a load of lego pieces chasing a block of cheese, i.e. it is very blurry. Can anyone point me in the right direction? this includes using M**dro, vd**tv and xun**ty.
    2. I had read about wifi issues with this box so use an ethernet cable instead. However, when I turn off the M8 it 'keeps' the wifi, i.e. I cannot connect to wifi with phone/ ipad, etc. in order to connect I have to disconnect ethernet cable from UPC router and then reboot the router.
    Last night I connected the M8 via wifi and it seemed a bit better, i.e. we could connect devices to the wifi when box turned off, but I am not sure if this was because we were actually using our phones and M8 at the same time, and turned off M8 while using devices.

I hope I explained that clearly, if anyone can help, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Allyall wrote: »

I have stopped myself writing about the Minix tons of times, because you have so many people being offended for no reason.

I have two Minix boxes the x7 and x8 and wouldnt get offended by someone else's opinion. But I cant let your rant go unanswered in case it confuses or puts people off! The truth is I paid out extra for a reliable box with reasonable firmware at the time. I have no interest in spending my weekend looking for a better or improved firmware, I want to spend my weekend watching sport and movies. And I have no complaints with my choices, the x8 was buggy for a few months but it was sorted and I havent looked back!

I read on this forum people having problems with MXIII's and other boxes, I dont read many people with problems with their Minix boxes, of course this could be due to the volume of MXIII's sold etc!

So if you are considering a Minix box, go for it!! Or dont!! The choice is yours!!

For what it is worth I wouldnt recommend people buying any box pre-loaded because things change constantly. You should know how to fix things if they go wrong and by installing yourself you will learn much more and there is great help available on this thread from the likes of Allyall, dahat, Big Nelly and others!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Allyall wrote: »
    The truth is, they are no better than the next box, and they are double the price.
    They seem to have got lucky with a few vocal posters on facebook/forums etc.. and resellers.
    Truth is, their firmware is always beta and buggy. Their hardware is the same as many others.
    Their support is terrible, they rely on other users to post in their forums, and most of their patches are also made by users.
    Many users are leaving them by the bucketload, at the same time many new users are joining them. Unfortunately, that means that many of the people that got p'd off with the x5 and x7 and early x8 are on their way out, and the support will mostly be down to newer users.

When spending that much money, you shouldn't be looking at unstable Android boxes at all. Unless you're looking at 'android' boxes that allow the installation of other OS's.

Sorry for the rant, but i've held back quite a bit.

I would agree 100%, I got caught up in all the sales talk about the MInix X8-H and didn't do enough research, I bought the box and spent over 6 months with dodgy firmware running on it. Finally got it to non-Beta about a month ago .....

It is a good box now but it was annoying to have to reload the box 9-10 times from start everytime they released a new firmware

Also not impressed with the answers alot of the time on forum, if you complain you are more or less told to "f**k off" because you have already bought the box:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭breeno

Hi guys,

I have a raspberry pi running openelec at the moment. I'm trying with the idea of upgrading to an android solution for quicker loading speeds and acestream support. I'm hoping to keep the price as cheap as possible. Would an Amazon Fire TV be the best bang for my buck around the 70/80 quid mark?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

breeno wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a raspberry pi running openelec at the moment. I'm trying with the idea of upgrading to an android solution for quicker loading speeds and acestream support. I'm hoping to keep the price as cheap as possible. Would an Amazon Fire TV be the best bang for my buck around the 70/80 quid mark?

Any other suggestions appreciated.

Went from rPi to AFTV and haven't looked back since. You won't be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

My Minix Neo X8-H cost me €150 and hasn't given me an ounce of hassle since the day I got it. I was aware at the time that it was being sold on Amazon for less. But I decided to buy it from SmartTVBox.ie because I was able to call in to the guy's premises in Waterford where he had a demonstration set up and I spent about three quarters of an hour there before I bought it. It was being sold for €155, but he gave it to me for €150. He also threw in a third party remote control. However, I use a wireless mouse and it serves my purposes well.

I wasn't interested in the streaming abilities of it, I wanted something that would play basically anything through XBMC streamed across a wired ethernet connection from my 2TB Netgear NAS. Even thought the ethernet port on the X8-H is 10\100 I have had no playback problems with large *.mkv's or *.mp4's. The NAS is in a seperate room alongside my PC, both are connected to a gigabit switch which in turn is connected to my router in the room where I have the X8-H. All connections are wired, no wireless hops at all.

In the past I have used a Freecom media drive, a raspberry pi running XBMC, a Western Digital TV Live Hub, and a Playstation 3.

The X8-H does what I want and I have no complaints. As I said I didn't even bother to upgrade the firmware.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement